Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 20198Likes

Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Someone remind me why I'm looking for a new sub(s)?

After some REW measurements, bass management and level adjustments, and applying my processor's single PEQ filter to remove a peak centered at 73hz, I tried a few movie scenes to hear the results. Among the scenes was "Darla tapping aquarium" from Finding Nemo. I set the volume to -3.5 which is a bit louder than normal (I'd probably watch this movie at about -6 normally). OMG! The room whole room was shaking! I've watched the movie several times and don't remember this scene being quite like this. I didn't notice any obvious signs of distress from my single SVS 16-46PC+.

How much better can a new sub be? Would I notice a SQ difference? I'm beginning to think the only difference would be how the sub behaves at it's limits. Mine bottoms out (it didn't during the Darla scene though), but a new sub would behave much better.

Like I said, remind me why I'm looking for a new sub?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 4738
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

But the the Triax is a three for one deal biggrin.gif

I couldnt go back to one sub and lose the room smoothing that multiple subs provide...to me that is more important than sheer output. I have tried one sub and it does not work well in my room. going to a more powerful sub will not fix that issue unfortunately. I think many folks here run into the same issue. Besides 3 xv15's and 1 xv30 will have more output than a triax with better coverage. Trust me if I could justify blowing 6800.00 on Triple Triax's after trade in I would do it...

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I couldnt go back to one sub and lose the room smoothing that multiple subs provide...to me that is more important than sheer output. I have tried one sub and it does not work well in my room. going to a more powerful sub will not fix that issue unfortunately. I think many folks here run into the same issue. Besides 3 xv15's and 1 xv30 will have more output than a triax with better coverage. Trust me if I could justify blowing 6800.00 on Triple Triax's after trade in I would do it...

That would make you the guy with the most Triaxs to date. I'm still waiting for some crazy person to order 4.lol

ShaunH
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That would make you the guy with the most Triaxs to date. I'm still waiting for some crazy person to order 4.lol[/quote

Oh Trust me... I log on the PSA site regularly thinking...."damn if I only hit the lottery" lol.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
That would make you the guy with the most Triaxs to date. I'm still waiting for some crazy person to order 4.lol[/quote

Oh Trust me... I log on the PSA site regularly thinking...."damn if I only hit the lottery" lol.

Same smile.gif

Sometimes I feel like a drug addict the home theater addiction runs so deep.

ShaunH
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Well ..... I got my 2 xv30f s hooked up and ran a couple tests after leveling them up with my mains via AVR.

I want to note- no trip of the breaker, a 15 amp breaker that is sharing the AVR and several lights plus whatever I don't know about.

Here's the graph. The blue is just a higher DB vs. the gold. It's a test with both subs and L/R

Old 07-01-2013, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Well ..... I got my 2 xv30f s hooked up and ran a couple tests after leveling them up with my mains via AVR.

I want to note- no trip of the breaker, a 15 amp breaker that is sharing the AVR and several lights plus whatever I don't know about.

Here's the graph. The blue is just a higher DB vs. the gold. It's a test with both subs and L/R

What'd you upgrade from again?

Denon X4000
Power Sound Audio (MT-110 / MTM-210C / MT-110)
Oppo BDP-103
Dual Power Sound Audio Triaxes
Sony KDL60W630B
Old 07-01-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Same smile.gif

Sometimes I feel like a drug addict the home theater addiction runs so deep.

I know right...These subs should come with warning labels stating...

"Warning PSA subs are highly addictive and may lead to a chronic case of upgraditis"

Its wierd, I have never been bit by the upgrade bug like I have since buying the xv15's. The part that is even stranger is the fact these subs are the best I have herd so I have no clue why I want more. I believe its the fact that if the xv15 sounds this good, imagine what a xv30 would sound like...ok the xv30 sounds awsome, now imagine what a Triax would sound like. Then Tom will release a Ported version of the Triax and imagine what it would sound like. Im hosed lol!!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

you have a similar 30-40hz peak I had...mini dsp or add a third xv30f lol. I would try moving them around first befor going any further tho.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you have a similar 30-40hz peak I had...mini dsp or add a third xv30f lol. I would try moving them around first befor going any further tho.

Any specific movement? I have some side to side but not much. And thats it. From there its room treatment or eq.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc View Post

What'd you upgrade from again?

A DLP 52" tv from 2004. .... LOL.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Any specific movement? I have some side to side but not much. And thats it. From there its room treatment or eq.

one thing you might do first is take the measurement between 80-90db and see if the response changes. 60db is pretty low.

also lets see some pics of those beasts!

Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post

Congrats! It seems you are fond of ported subs, that means you will not get a triax? Unless PSA will come out with a ported triax, I just can't imagine how big will that be

It's not that I am fond of ported. To get smooth FR in my room, I would need at least two triax. Which is above my budget. Maybe someday.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp5475 View Post

It's not that I am fond of ported. To get smooth FR in my room, I would need at least two triax. Which is above my budget. Maybe someday.

Your not alone...I think many folks fall in this category, myself included.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Your not alone...I think many folks fall in this category, myself included.

I dream of four triax. Haha. I ordered the minidsp . Going try out the house curve that everyone talks about.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

one thing you might do first is take the measurement between 80-90db and see if the response changes. 60db is pretty low.

also lets see some pics of those beasts!

Ya I think Pioneer MCACC might be doing something with the volume, because to get 80 db on the REW SPL meter I'm having to crank the volume on the AVR to high. When I go to do a test I get the clip warning. Not to mention my ears blow out.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ya I think Pioneer MCACC might be doing something with the volume, because to get 80 db on the REW SPL meter I'm having to crank the volume on the AVR to high. When I go to do a test I get the clip warning. Not to mention my ears blow out.

You need to get a spl meter and calibrate REW to the MIC...I had the same issue when I first started using REW.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the USB UMIK-1 Mic. There is supposed to be a calibration process in REW using the REW SPL meter but I can't get it working consistently.

As of now I've just noted to set AVR volume on -10 and mic input to 25. I can up the mic input and show in the 100's on the graph using the same AVR volume settings. But all I'm after is the freq. response.

Anyways- I just moved my subs in and out from the side walls and these are my results. I get the best response with the max distance from each side wall.

The only thing I have not done is go all but 3" from the wall. Maybe I'll try that, but I don't see that getting better based on these results.

This is only subs, no speakers.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thats not bad there, now your ready for a mini dsp if you want to truly flatten it out, but thats up to you if you think its worth it. you can tell that your room is large by how fast they drop off at 18hz. How are you liking them?

Old 07-02-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:

Thats not bad there, now your ready for a mini dsp if you want to truly flatten it out, but thats up to you if you think its worth it. you can tell that your room is large by how fast they drop off at 18hz. How are you liking them?

No that’s not bad at all considering other graphs I’ve seen. Solid down to 18.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Old 07-02-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Is an EQ the only way to get flatter? I haven't put up any treatments yet. The two front corners are getting traps floor to ceiling and the front wall is getting 4". Also doing 1st reflections and a ceiling cloud.

How do I like them?? I don't know yet. I'm totally overwhelmed with AVR settings. I finally had to shut off the MCACC, manually level out the speakers and subs and go from there.

I can tell they pack a punch from the couple of measures I did with volumes up. I haven't even really played with actually listening to them. lol.....
Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Room treatments should work well...however WAF approval was a no go for me. here is my graph subs only with mini dsp.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:

In this graph, your calibration is clearly incorrect. The subs are set about 15 db too high.

Quote:

I have the USB UMIK-1 Mic. There is supposed to be a calibration process in REW using the REW SPL meter but I can't get it working consistently.

As of now I've just noted to set AVR volume on -10 and mic input to 25. I can up the mic input and show in the 100's on the graph using the same AVR volume settings. But all I'm after is the freq. response.

Anyways- I just moved my subs in and out from the side walls and these are my results. I get the best response with the max distance from each side wall.

The only thing I have not done is go all but 3" from the wall. Maybe I'll try that, but I don't see that getting better based on these results.

This is only subs, no speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

No that’s not bad at all considering other graphs I’ve seen. Solid down to 18.
Yeah, solid to 18 Hz, but take note of the scale. The difference between 38 Hz and 50 Hz is about 14 dB! That will sound boomy at 38 Hz and thin and weak at 50 Hz.

Quote:

Is an EQ the only way to get flatter? I haven't put up any treatment yes. The two front corners are getting traps floor to ceiling and the front wall is getting 4". Also doing 1st reflections and a ceiling cloud.
Garden variety, fiberglass absorbers won't help in to the 30 - 60 Hz range. Wavelengths at those frequencies are so long that it would take several FEET of absorptive material to soak up those resonances. Tuned absorbers would be more beneficial. but they are more expensive and more difficult to tune to the exact problem frequency range. If changing placements doesn't correct the problem(s), EQ is your best bet for resonances in that range. MCACC won't help at all below 63 Hz, so if you stick with Pioneer, you'll need an out-board solution. If you want to explore that route, do some searches for the Behringer BFD, the mini-DSP, the AntiMode 8033, the Velodyne SMS-1, and Audyssey Pro/SVS AS-EQ1. Otherwise, an Audyssey XT32-based receiver or pre/pro is your best bet.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Old 07-02-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Room treatments should work well...however WAF approval was a no go for me. here is my graph subs only with mini dsp.

NIce- that looks like less than a 3 DB difference in most areas. I notice you drop off at 80. I have my AVR set to 80 and I'm not dropping 80 like you. Is that a feature of the DSP?

My wife is awesome- gave me the room and let me do what I want. Although she is getting sick of my every waking moment going to home theater. rolleyes.gif
Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Cross over setting on my avr is at 80 on my yamaha. however to get that graph I had to boost frequencies that killed my some headroom. I was hitting 132db before eq'ing @ 32hz. so I am going to add another xv15, that should help smooth the graph on its own and require minimal eq'ing.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:

Nice response.

Have you taken measurements with your speakers on? Does your curve look the same?

Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

here is my graph before eq'ing, you can see I was getting solid extension into the 12-14hz range.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Nice response.

Have you taken measurements with your speakers on? Does your curve look the same?

Here is with speakers on but I had the subs running fairly hot.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

In this graph, your calibration is clearly incorrect. The subs are set about 15 db too high.

Yeah, solid to 18 Hz, but take note of the scale. The difference between 38 Hz and 50 Hz is about 14 dB! That will sound boomy at 38 Hz and thin and weak at 50 Hz.
Garden variety, fiberglass absorbers won't help in to the 30 - 60 Hz range. Wavelengths at those frequencies are so long that it would take several FEET of absorptive material to soak up those resonances. Tuned absorbers would be more beneficial. but they are more expensive and more difficult to tune to the exact problem frequency range. If changing placements doesn't correct the problem(s), EQ is your best bet for resonances in that range. MCACC won't help at all below 63 Hz, so if you stick with Pioneer, you'll need an out-board solution. If you want to explore that route, do some searches for the Behringer BFD, the mini-DSP, the AntiMode 8033, the Velodyne SMS-1, and Audyssey Pro/SVS AS-EQ1. Otherwise, an Audyssey XT32-based receiver or pre/pro is your best bet.

Craig

I pretty much only have the front wall of the room to play with.

The only thing I didn't like about the PSA choice is the lack of a PEQ.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cross over setting on my avr is at 80 on my yamaha. however to get that graph I had to boost frequencies that killed my some headroom. I was hitting 132db before eq'ing @ 32hz. so I am going to add another xv15, that should help smooth the graph on its own and require minimal eq'ing.

Yep- xo on my Pioneer is 80 also, but mine aren't dropping like that. Oh well, very early in the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15