post #5941 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Your mind is either on penis or proving your the better man. Either way..... relax. For some it's not about 'stats' and being 'better' it's about truly producing excellent sound quality. Yep, talking about me here.

If I cared about penis and being the best I'd of ordered a lot more 18's than I did. wink.gif

Take a deep breath. Your Triax (you are getting one right?) will arrive before you know it. smile.gif

+1 I never posted any graphs with the intentions to brag....this forum is for sharing information. I dont think my system is top tier by any means.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I understand completely....you would rather keep throwing money at a situation instead of aquiring the proper tools to understand what is going on. Good Luck.

Alright, since you know more than I do in regards to sub performance. Had I acquired a measuring mic, a SPL meter and REW I could have gotten the XV30F to produce as much bass as the Triax? I even consulted Tom before ordering the Triax and he said that 2 XV30Fs still wouldn't come close to the performance of a single Triax.

But I guess instead of spending $1400 on another XV30F I choose to spend another $1400 and get much more performance.

Denon X4000
Power Sound Audio (MT-110 / MTM-210C / MT-110)
Oppo BDP-103
Dual Power Sound Audio Triaxes
Sony KDL60W630B
post #5943 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc View Post

Also, I would go ahead and buy all the measuring software and post my stats but my penis is already big enough so I don't.

We're not worried about the size of your appendage. That's for your own personal benefit. Without benefit of room measuring software, no one can get the best out of their subwoofers system. It's a sage recommendation. And if someone doesn't want to get the best out of their system, at least they're doing so with knowledge and forethought.

Subwoofer sound waves do not play or get along well with each other within the confines of a room's acoustics. When subwoofer sound waves run into each other, depending on which direction they're going, they'll either reinforce each other or cancel each other out. When they reinforce each other, the sound becomes boomy and when they cancel, you get a sucking out of the energy and usually this takes place in the impact zone, what some call the mid-bass slam.

Subwoofers are like cats, they do what they want, not what you tell them to do and simply placing a single subwoofer in the room is not a guarantee of getting the best out of a subwoofer sound system. One is welcome to place their subwoofer in a near-field location but without measuring software, nobody will know if they're getting the best out of their subwoofer placement.

As to more performance out of a Triax vs a XV30f, if you're sitting in a null, and you are still sitting in a null when the Triax is setup, you're going rob yourself of the Triax's potential.

My wife sits two feet to my right as we're facing the television. Her location tests out six to eight dB louder than my seating position. Because we had measuring software, we found out why she was complaining about it being so loud.....she was receiving four or more times worth of energy at her seating position that was only two feet from my position. The solution, during movie playback, we change seats.

There's also a long winded story about huge nulls that I was dealing with that I was able to correct for by relocating the subwoofers. Without room measuring software, I would not have known about the null and I would not have been able to correct for it.

Multiple subwoofers is not about playing it loud and has absolutely nothing to do with bragging rights although it does my heart good to know I corrected for ringing problems and room nulls without use of room treatments. I could not have done any of this without room measuring software.

-
post #5944 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:

Alright, since you know more than I do in regards to sub performance. Had I acquired a measuring mic, a SPL meter and REW I could have gotten the XV30F to produce as much bass as the Triax? I even consulted Tom before ordering the Triax and he said that 2 XV30Fs still wouldn't come close to the performance of a single Triax.

But I guess instead of spending $1400 on another XV30F I choose to spend another $1400 and get much more performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

We're not worried about the size of your appendage. That's for your own personal benefit. Without benefit of room measuring software, no one can get the best out of their subwoofers system. It's a sage recommendation. And if someone doesn't want to get the best out of their system, at least they're doing so with knowledge and forethought.

Subwoofer sound waves do not play or get along well with each other within the confines of a room's acoustics. When subwoofer sound waves run into each other, depending on which direction they're going, they'll either reinforce each other or cancel each other out. When they reinforce each other, the sound becomes boomy and when they cancel, you get a sucking out of the energy and usually this takes place in the impact zone, what some call the mid-bass slam.

Subwoofers are like cats, they do what they want, not what you tell them to do and simply placing a single subwoofer in the room is not a guarantee of getting the best out of a subwoofer sound system. One is welcome to place their subwoofer in a near-field location but without measuring software, nobody will know if they're getting the best out of their subwoofer placement.

BeeMan is spot on here. You can have the most powerful subwoofer in the world, but your room can neuter it's performance to no more than a $100 car audio boom box. Without the ability to "see" your subwoofer's performance IN YOUR ROOM there is no way you can get optimal performance from it.

In addition, as basshead said, multiple "lesser" subs can be made to perform better than one MEGA-sub. This is due to the FR smoothing ability of multiple sources of bass in a room.

A single Triax will have massive output capabilities. Whether you can utilize those capabilities in your room, at your listening position... will be a crap shoot. Without measuring capability, you'll never know.

Multiple Triax's may be the ultimate subwoofer system... but even then, only if they're optimally deployed in the room.

Craig

PS. Put that thing back in your pants. We don't want that here.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #5945 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

It's going to be interesting to see how this sub holds up in a room alone. With the price of it, not many people will be able to own 2 in order to smooth out room response. I don't think trying to add in another sub unlike it would work very well either.

Ya man...... I hear what you're saying and I've often wondered what the heck PSA was thinking. But then there are the Seaton and JTR subs also, and while maybe not priced quite as high (I don't store all the prices in my brain) they're close and at least one is a dual setup.

Still - one lesson I've learned in home audio subwoofers is it's not the amount of woofers it's the amount of cabinets. I would love to have a Triax, but I'd love even more to have three Triax drivers in separate enclosures.

It will be interesting to see people's results. If it doesn't get the reviews and praise that the higher end ID subs do right out of the gate I'd be a bit worried for its future sales.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #5946 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tom could not of said that because he has mentioned in this thread dual XV30's would have the same output of the Triax in the 15-30hz range with 2db less in the 43-60hz range(depending on placement of course). The Triax would still have deeper extension and a slight advantage in sound quality. I am not trying to put you down so relax. I just think if one is going to spend that kind of money, why not aquire the tools to correctly ingtegrate the sub into the room?
post #5947 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

Tom could not of said that because he has mentioned in this thread dual XV30's would have the same output of the Triax in the 15-30hz range with 2db less in the 43-60hz range(depending on placement of course). The Triax would still have deeper extension and a slight advantage in sound quality. I am not trying to put you down so relax. I just think if one is going to spend that kind of money, why not aquire the tools to correctly ingtegrate the sub into the room?

I remember him saying that, and I was going to mention it. I could not remember where (which forum) or when he stated that. Good call.............

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #5948 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:

Which makes total sense, when you take the numbers of the XV30 and add 6dB two co-located would be 117.9dB @ 20-31hz and 125.1dB @ 40-63hz while a single Triax hits 116.4dB @ 20-31hz and 127.1 @ 40-63hz.

All of those numbers are directly from the PSA web page.

Of course below 15hz the Triax will have a BIG advantage and above 60hz it will continue to just pull away.
post #5949 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Which makes total sense, when you take the numbers of the XV30 and add 6dB two co-located would be 117.9dB @ 20-31hz and 125.1dB @ 40-63hz while a single Triax hits 116.4dB @ 20-31hz and 127.1 @ 40-63hz.

Of course below 15hz the Triax will have a BIG advantage and above 60hz it will continue to just pull away.

Also fwiw Bill F corrected me on the co locate term and its co coupled. Meaning the subs do not have to be right next to eachother to achieve the 6db gain at the lp. They just need to be within a 1/4 wave length or 9-10ft.
post #5950 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:

They just need to be within a 1/4 wave length or 9-10ft.

Just saying, depending on the parameter used for the speed of sound, at 50Hz - 60Hz (mid-bass), a quarter wave is a whole lot smaller than that. smile.gif

At ((1133ft/sec)/60Hz)/4 = 4.72ft. At 80Hz, we're looking at 3.54'.

(if I blew my math, I'm happy to post a "D'oh!")

Things get a bit dicey if the 0.1 channel masters anything above 80Hz.

Please, anybody is welcome to point out what I'm missing.

You're not going have the subwoofer police arrest me if I post "co-located" as opposed to "co-coupled"......?
post #5951 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also fwiw Bill F corrected me on the co locate term and its co coupled. Meaning the subs do not have to be right next to eachother to achieve the 6db gain at the lp. They just need to be within a 1/4 wave length or 9-10ft.

That's right, I even remember reading that. My bad...lol
post #5952 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Just saying, depending on the parameter used for the speed of sound, at 50Hz - 60Hz (mid-bass), a quarter wave is a whole lot smaller than that. smile.gif

At ((1133ft/sec)/60Hz)/4 = 4.72ft. At 80Hz, we're looking at 3.54'.

(if I blew my math, I'm happy to post a "D'oh!")

Things get a bit dicey if the 0.1 channel masters anything above 80Hz.

Please, anybody is welcome to point out what I'm missing.

You're not going have the subwoofer police arrest me if I post "co-located" as opposed to "co-coupled"......?

No I was just pointing out what Bill said...I understand what you are saying either way. smile.gif
post #5953 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 09:04 PM

Liked: 25
Surprised nobody had an opinion on my question a couple days ago. Was just curious if I'm hosed in regards to my current technology limitations utilizing Sunfire Theater Grand IV VS TRYING REW etc.

Marantz AV 8801 Processor
Sunfire Signature Amp 400x7
Oppo DV971H DVD Player
PS3
PS4
Klipsch RF-7
Klispch RS-7
Klipsch RC-7
Sharp Aquos 80; 3D Quattron
Power Sound Audio Triax Subwoofer
post #5954 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Ya man...... I hear what you're saying and I've often wondered what the heck PSA was thinking. But then there are the Seaton and JTR subs also, and while maybe not priced quite as high (I don't store all the prices in my brain) they're close and at least one is a dual setup.

Still - one lesson I've learned in home audio subwoofers is it's not the amount of woofers it's the amount of cabinets. I would love to have a Triax, but I'd love even more to have three Triax drivers in separate enclosures.

It will be interesting to see people's results. If it doesn't get the reviews and praise that the higher end ID subs do right out of the gate I'd be a bit worried for its future sales.

It's definitely a risky move. I too can't help but think that if the drivers were placed properly around a room separately that it would have to be better than having all 3 placed in one spot. The price for one piece is too high for me.

I paid 2 grand for my low end but there was a reason why I did not pay that amount for 1 sub.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #5955 of 15386 Old 09-24-2013, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

It's definitely a risky move. I too can't help but think that if the drivers were placed properly around a room separately that it would have to be better than having all 3 placed in one spot. The price for one piece is too high for me.

I paid 2 grand for my low end but there was a reason why I did not pay that amount for 1 sub.

Considering how many subs Mark Seaton and Jeff at JTR has sold over the last 3-4 years I don't see how it's a risk at all. Not to mention we're now seeing PSA in Sound & Vision magazine. So how long before you see the Triax mentioned in something main stream and someone that was maybe considering a 3 grand sub from from a manufacture like Paradigm sees that and goes " holy hell, I can get that kind of performance for less then the price of the Paradigm"
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #5956 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

The Triax numbers will likely need to be re-done because of the new drivers.

ShaunH
post #5957 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As to the price of the Triax, I can't help but wonder how a dual driver version with the 2400w version of the speaker power amp would do compared to say the xs30. If it was a decent enough upgrade it might allow a smaller jump between those that want sealed but found the Triax price to be too high.

Hopefully the Triax still sells well at its new increased price point, whatever that ends up being...

ShaunH
post #5958 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

As to the price of the Triax, I can't help but wonder how a dual driver version with the 2400w version of the speaker power amp would do compared to say the xs30. If it was a decent enough upgrade it might allow a smaller jump between those that want sealed but found the Triax price to be too high.

Hopefully the Triax still sells well at its new increased price point, whatever that ends up being...

I doubt a version with the 2400w amp and dual drivers would really be much cheaper, and lets be honest what you just described in the SubM HP so why would PSA even offer a sub like that.

The speakerpower amps the PSA, JTR and Seaton use cost over $1000 just for the amp, the 2400w version is only $100 less then the 4000w model.

And on top of that, one of the original reasons that I personally went with the XS30 was because I was looking at getting a SubM HP; well I could buy two XS30's for less money they a SubM HP and have more output.
oneeyeblind and dsrussell like this.
post #5959 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I doubt a version with the 2400w amp and dual drivers would really be much cheaper, and lets be honest what you just described in the SubM HP so why would PSA even offer a sub like that.

The speakerpower amps the PSA, JTR and Seaton use cost over $1000 just for the amp, the 2400w version is only $100 less then the 4000w model.

And on top of that, one of the original reasons that I personally went with the XS30 was because I was looking at getting a SubM HP; well I could buy two XS30's for less money they a SubM HP and have more output.

True, but I think we can agree their is some merit to having a sub between the XS30 and Triax that is sealed. Its also hard not to compete with the SubM as you pointed out.

ShaunH
post #5960 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcuron View Post

Surprised nobody had an opinion on my question a couple days ago. Was just curious if I'm hosed in regards to my current technology limitations utilizing Sunfire Theater Grand IV VS TRYING REW etc.

Sorry the argumentative side seemed to have popped up.

Can you repost your question? So others can have a chance to answer it.

ShaunH
post #5961 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Considering how many subs Mark Seaton and Jeff at JTR has sold over the last 3-4 years I don't see how it's a risk at all. Not to mention we're now seeing PSA in Sound & Vision magazine. So how long before you see the Triax mentioned in something main stream and someone that was maybe considering a 3 grand sub from from a manufacture like Paradigm sees that and goes " holy hell, I can get that kind of performance for less then the price of the Paradigm"

I believe by the time he gets finished raising the price of this thing, it's going to easily be double the price of anything else he has out there. The others you mentioned probably have a big markup on name alone. It just looks like a huge jump to me.

Personally, whether it's a SubM, JTR, etc....I just can't see myself having only one sub again so the price of one has to be more reasonable.

Someone should be concentrating on getting better subs in more places in my home theater, not Selling me one monster that will be sitting over in the corner with the sound coming out of one location.

But hey, maybe that's just me.

Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #5962 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 88
But they have a variety of models at a variety of price points (I bought two of their cheapest units and couldn't be happier.) Why should anybody be trying to get more subs into your room? Are you in the market again, after Josh's VTF15H review?

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #5963 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

But they have a variety of models at a variety of price points (I bought two of their cheapest units and couldn't be happier.) Why should anybody be trying to get more subs into your room? Are you in the market again, after Josh's VTF15H review?

Why would I be in the market after his review? No, I am not but I know I will be at some point. Nothing lasts forever. I have little to no brand loyalty so I will go where the best bang for the buck is just as I did with my 15H's. Chances are that if Hsu doesn't Institute a trade up program, something I love abourt PSA and SVS, I will probably be moving on when it comes time for my next set of subs. With that being said, I will always have an eye out for the next big thing.

Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #5964 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Triax numbers will likely need to be re-done because of the new drivers.

Still your only looking at another .5-1.5db tops...a difference you would never hear.
post #5965 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

Still your only looking at another .5-1.5db tops...a difference you would never hear.

I dunno? my hearing has always been a little on the sensitive side. Can’t understand why though?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #5966 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:

No I was just pointing out what Bill said...I understand what you are saying either way. smile.gif

Deferring to Bill's expertise and your willingness to cooperate, I just want to make sure I'm not going get arrested for my use of layperson's terms. tongue.gif
post #5967 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:

True, but I think we can agree their is some merit to having a sub between the XS30 and Triax that is sealed. Its also hard not to compete with the SubM as you pointed out.

Maybe a choice of drivers and an amplifier upgrade will be offered.
post #5968 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I asked that very question to Tom, if they were thinking of having a sub in between a XS30 or XV30 and a Triax, maybe something in the $1800-2000 per sub price range. And basically the response was, why bother.

And after thinking about it Tom's right. I think they can have their high end subs to cater to the higher end market and then the Power-X line to cater to the masses.
post #5969 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I asked that very question to Tom, if they were thinking of having a sub in between a XS30 or XV30 and a Triax, maybe something in the $1800-2000 per sub price range. And basically the response was, why bother.

And after thinking about it Tom's right. I think they can have their high end subs to cater to the higher end market and then the Power-X line to cater to the masses.

It's all about choice. The more of it the better. I'm guessing he wants to limit the number of product lines. I am very unlikely to pay over 3 grand for a sub but 2 grand may be accessible for many more.
steve nn likes this.

Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #5970 of 15386 Old 09-25-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only thing I would like to see is a ported version of the Triax that way I can add it too my existing subs...not to mention another 6db around a 15hz tune would be insane. However this would happen till we move and I get my dedicated theatre room...so no rush Tom smile.gif
steve nn likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page