Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 202 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29397Likes

post #6031 of 35846 Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDDUFRENE View Post

I get where you coming from, I thought about trying the REW program and all but wasn't quite sure what it's sole purpose was. I want to fine tune all my speakers to sound there best beyond what my ears are telling me. And was just curious if REW could do that, and I'm happy with the way my system sounds. But still wonder to myself if it could sound better, I have a Yamaha receiver that doesn't do to good of a job setting all of the parameters properly. That's why I'm trying to find some way to do it my self without hiring a pro.

REW is exactly what you're looking for then smile.gif
PDDUFRENE likes this.

Denon X4000
Power Sound Audio (MT-110 / MTM-210C / MT-110)
Oppo BDP-103
Dual Power Sound Audio Triaxes
Sony KDL60W630B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 35846 Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc View Post

So if I order a UMIK-1 ( http://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1 ) and a SPL meter ( recommendations? ) will that shut you all up and you can go back to listening to your perfectly tuned systems? wink.gif

Wow. If all you want to do is "shut up" those you perceive to be your "naysayers", then I'm officially shut up. You are obviously so close-minded that you don't see the true value in the acquisition of a measurement system. Again, for that I pity you.frown.gif

OTOH, if you want to acquire a measurement system with the intent of truly optimizing your subwoofer system, there are many members who will help you with that.

You just need to give up the condescending attitude.

rolleyes.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #6033 of 35846 Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Merriam-Webster defines "condescending" as follows:
Given that definition, I can see how my previous comments might be perceived as condescending. For that I apologize. They were not intended in that vein. I don't think I'm any "smarter" or more intelligent than other posters on this forum. However, I do believe that I have some experience with measurements and their interpretation that could be helpful to a lot of other forum members. For that reason, I think I can offer some valuable insights into the benefits of using these measurements to optimize a speaker/subwoofer(s) system.

Over the course of my participation on AVS, I have come to the realization that the human ear is a very inaccurate measurement device. It hears what it wants to hear, and pre-hearing biases can overwhelm the true listening experience. The only true, unbiased listening experience is the one done by an unbiased microphone. Moreover, I have found that, if one can get the microphone-based measurements optimized, the sound quality *always* follows, often in amazing and "magical" ways.

For example, I once visited a guys home to hear his system. It was a multi-6-figure system, ($300,000+) with hugely expensive, "high end" speakers, expensive monoblock amps on isolation stands, with speaker cable "lifts", outbaord DAC's, uber-expensive power cords, power conditioners, interconnects and speaker cables... blah, blah. blah... all the "high-end" audio-foolery one could imagine. The subwoofer system was 2 very highly regarded 18" drivers in sealed cabinets. I listened to 2 musical cuts I was very familiar with, and I immediately said,

"Wait... I need some measurements because some thing doesn't sound right." I was hearing some notes way too loud an other were completely missing.

Here is the first measurement I took:

This measurement confirmed exactly what I was hearing. Some notes where highly over-accentuated, (the 40 - 50 Hz range), while other were virtually inaudible, the 65 - 100 Hz range.) I then proceeded to make some adjustments. I then re-ran Audyssey and optimized the subwoofer Distance settings. These were the FR's I ended up with:

The top trace is the response at the primary LP, while the bottom trace is the response averaged over the 3 front seats.

The difference in SOUND QUALITY was literally *incomparable*!!! The boomy, one-note nature was gone. Every note became articulate and precise. The absolute power and deep, authoritative extension came to life. All the performance the guy had paid for, (in spades), was now realized.

The bottom line... You can spend mega-$$$ for performance of any one single component of an audio system. However, if you don't optimize that performance, you'll never realize the benefits of your expenditure. Measurements are the *ONLY way to know if you've optimized the performance of the component you've spent multiple thousands of dollars to acquire.

Bottom line... You can lead a horse to water...

Craig
That is exactly what my problem is at this point, I know I'm missing some of the tones in songs I'm familiar with Im just not sure how to address this issue. Thanks for the example it kinda cleared up the question about REW for me.

post #6034 of 35846 Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 PM

One more thing exactly what do I need to purchase to be able to use REW? Thanks again
post #6035 of 35846 Old 09-27-2013, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Wow. If all you want to do is "shut up" those you perceive to be your "naysayers", then I'm officially shut up. You are obviously so close-minded that you don't see the true value in the acquisition of a measurement system. Again, for that I pity you.frown.gif

OTOH, if you want to acquire a measurement system with the intent of truly optimizing your subwoofer system, there are many members who will help you with that.

You just need to give up the condescending attitude.

rolleyes.gif

Craig

I can't control how you perceive what I say, I asked for assistance so if anybody wants to help out they are more than welcome to smile.gif

Denon X4000
Power Sound Audio (MT-110 / MTM-210C / MT-110)
Oppo BDP-103
Dual Power Sound Audio Triaxes
Sony KDL60W630B
post #6036 of 35846 Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:

One more thing exactly what do I need to purchase to be able to use REW? Thanks again

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs#post_22789786
PDDUFRENE likes this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #6037 of 35846 Old 09-27-2013, 11:27 PM

post #6038 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:

I get where you coming from, I thought about trying the REW program and all but wasn't quite sure what it's sole purpose was.

The short version.....it allows one to see how sonically stupid their room is. tongue.gif
PDDUFRENE likes this.
post #6039 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:

I can't control how you perceive what I say, I asked for assistance so if anybody wants to help out they are more than welcome to smile.gif

If one has high blood pressure, they will follow the regime that everybody knows about. And if one has a subwoofer system, the individual needs to break with the idea that life doesn't apply to them, download a freeware copy of REW and get it up and running so like a heart, they can get the best out of it for the rest of their life.....or, they can eat doughnuts and complain to the doctor that no matter what they do, they can't lose any weight but hey, they have a way cool Olympic weight set in the garage.

-
post #6040 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The test numbers posted on Facebook for the new Triax look very good, I would give the link but don't know how to.
post #6041 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:

So if I order a UMIK-1 ( http://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1 ) and a SPL meter ( recommendations? ) will that shut you all up and you can go back to listening to your perfectly tuned systems? wink.gif

Also, how about a MiniDSP? http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

Or is that only for multi-sub setups? I think I've read it can be used for one but I'm not 100% sure.
The MiniDSP is a Great way to get the most out of your subs. This is the route I would go.
Chris

Chris
post #6042 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigotis View Post

The test numbers posted on Facebook for the new Triax look very good, I would give the link but don't know how to.

Is the PSA Facebook page accessible to those of us who don't do Facebook? Hopefully the PSA website will update soon. smile.gif

post #6043 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked: 5785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Is the PSA Facebook page accessible to those of us who don't do Facebook? Hopefully the PSA website will update soon. smile.gif

We have several rounds of testing with the new Triax drivers now(finished another just before dark yesterday). Combining/averaging all the data we have over the past few weeks gives us a 20-63hz score of 125.39. Scale it to CEA-2010 (1m, peak) = 134.39. All of the testing has been very consistent I just don't like to post anything until we have multiple data sets for each product.. edit---these numbers do include the triple opposed compensation per Josh Ricci.

Frequency response (both before and after DSP "shaping")was improved as well.

I don't like the idea of the weight and cost increasing but I can't argue against the performance of the new drivers.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

“Price is the last refuge for the business without the imagination or ability to offer more" - Unknown.
post #6044 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

We have several rounds of testing with the new Triax drivers now(finished another just before dark yesterday). Combining/averaging all the data we have over the past few weeks gives us a 20-63hz score of 125.39. Scale it to CEA-2010 (1m, peak) = 134.39. All of the testing has been very consistent I just don't like to post anything until we have multiple data sets for each product.. edit---these numbers do include the triple opposed compensation per Josh Ricci.

I don't like the idea of the weight and cost increasing but I can't argue against the performance of the new drivers.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Great news!!

JTR (3 215 RT, 5 212HTR, 2 Growlers, 4 S2's)
PSA (4 Triax's, 3 210T's)
Behringer (4 B1200 Midbass Modules)
post #6045 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 6439
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Wow thats some amazing averages! Thats within 1.8db of the Gallahorn eek.gif
post #6046 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Thanks! Looking good!

How did it test in terms like quoted on the website (Ultra Low Bass 20-31.5hz and Low Bass 46-63hz)?

post #6047 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Thanks! Looking good!

How did it test in terms like quoted on the website (Ultra Low Bass 20-31.5hz and Low Bass 46-63hz)?

If you average the old numbers the equal 122db 20-63hz. So thats a 3.4db increase in average output.

So that would be roughly 119.8db 20-31hz and 130.9db 40-63hz
post #6048 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Merriam-Webster defines "condescending" as follows:
Given that definition, I can see how my previous comments might be perceived as condescending. For that I apologize. They were not intended in that vein. I don't think I'm any "smarter" or more intelligent than other posters on this forum. However, I do believe that I have some experience with measurements and their interpretation that could be helpful to a lot of other forum members. For that reason, I think I can offer some valuable insights into the benefits of using these measurements to optimize a speaker/subwoofer(s) system.

Over the course of my participation on AVS, I have come to the realization that the human ear is a very inaccurate measurement device. It hears what it wants to hear, and pre-hearing biases can overwhelm the true listening experience. The only true, unbiased listening experience is the one done by an unbiased microphone. Moreover, I have found that, if one can get the microphone-based measurements optimized, the sound quality *always* follows, often in amazing and "magical" ways.

For example, I once visited a guys home to hear his system. It was a multi-6-figure system, ($300,000+) with hugely expensive, "high end" speakers, expensive monoblock amps on isolation stands, with speaker cable "lifts", outbaord DAC's, uber-expensive power cords, power conditioners, interconnects and speaker cables... blah, blah. blah... all the "high-end" audio-foolery one could imagine. The subwoofer system was 2 very highly regarded 18" drivers in sealed cabinets. I listened to 2 musical cuts I was very familiar with, and I immediately said,

"Wait... I need some measurements because some thing doesn't sound right." I was hearing some notes way too loud an other were completely missing.

Here is the first measurement I took:

This measurement confirmed exactly what I was hearing. Some notes where highly over-accentuated, (the 40 - 50 Hz range), while other were virtually inaudible, the 65 - 100 Hz range.) I then proceeded to make some adjustments. I then re-ran Audyssey and optimized the subwoofer Distance settings. These were the FR's I ended up with:

The top trace is the response at the primary LP, while the bottom trace is the response averaged over the 3 front seats.

The difference in SOUND QUALITY was literally *incomparable*!!! The boomy, one-note nature was gone. Every note became articulate and precise. The absolute power and deep, authoritative extension came to life. All the performance the guy had paid for, (in spades), was now realized.

The bottom line... You can spend mega-$$$ for performance of any one single component of an audio system. However, if you don't optimize that performance, you'll never realize the benefits of your expenditure. Measurements are the *ONLY way to know if you've optimized the performance of the component you've spent multiple thousands of dollars to acquire.

Bottom line... You can lead a horse to water...

Craig

Craig: Great stuff, as usual. Your distance trick was life-changing for me.

As you know, experience matters when attempting to calibrate a system into its listening space. Not only that, but the the type of experience matters just as much. Someone familiar with flat bass response -- a good starting point to maximize performance out of any subwoofer -- can then adjust for a house curve or season the sound to a particular taste. Someone that has not experienced below 80 Hz -- they're out there -- might think the bass is too heavy and only for obnoxious kids in their bassmobile, while others might ask why your very expensive and carefully calibrated system doesn't kick ass and blur their eyeballs 100% of the time.

You pointed out that you initially noticed something was off just by listening to a couple of tracks. I understand your point is that you then took measurements and could then make educated adjustments to improve the sound quickly and efficiently. Without measurements, this would be a crap-shoot in a dark room for someone that didn't take the time and effort to capitalize on a cool new sub that should be pretty awesome and give you the bang that you paid for. Please feel free to insert your favorite car analogy here.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #6049 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

If you average the old numbers the equal 122db 20-63hz. So thats a 3.4db increase in average output.

So that would be roughly 119.8db 20-31hz and 130.9db 40-63hz

wow

👍

post #6050 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I can't wait to see peoples reviews..... Thats a pretty big upgrade for an already outstanding design.

ShaunH
post #6051 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

wow

👍

No kidding!! That is a TON of sub for 2799.00...I would say Tom came thru and hooked up the Pre-order folks 10 fold!!
post #6052 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

No kidding!! That is a TON of sub for 2799.00...I would say Tom came thru and hooked up the Pre-order folks 10 fold!!

Makes me almost cry to know I didn't jump in on the pre-order! frown.gifmad.gif
post #6053 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Makes me almost cry to know I didn't jump in on the pre-order! frown.gifmad.gif

It's not too late yet!!

post #6054 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It's not too late yet!!

You're right but I also spent about $4600 this year on three JTR Noesis 228HT's and a Sherbourn PA 7-350 amp. So any new sub purchase will have to wait until next year.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #6055 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

You're right but I also spent about $4600 this year on three JTR Noesis 228HT's and a Sherbourn PA 7-350 amp. So any new sub purchase will have to wait until next year.

I wish I had known about this sale I woulda jumped on one of those amps in a heartbeat. I seen the forum post about it here like 2 weeks after they were all scooped up. /cry

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
post #6056 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Now I'm getting excited! I just cannot believe I have two of these coming. eek.gif
post #6057 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Now I'm getting excited! I just cannot believe I have two of these coming. eek.gif

I'm starting to talk myself into a 3rd eek.gif

post #6058 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

I wish I had known about this sale I woulda jumped on one of those amps in a heartbeat. I seen the forum post about it here like 2 weeks after they were all scooped up. /cry

Yeah $999 for a Sherbourn PA 7-350 delivered was an AMAZING deal! The list price on that amp when it came out a couple years ago was $3700!!
And it has a 10year warranty.

At first I was looking at getting a sec generation Emotiva XPA-3 but there was no way I was passing up the PA 7-350. I'm only using it to power my LCR's so it rated to deliver 850w @ 4ohm 3-channel.
post #6059 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:

I'm starting to talk myself into a 3rd eek.gif

Rock on! Things are looking good for the Triax and it's user's. cool.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #6060 of 35846 Old 09-28-2013, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Yeah $999 for a Sherbourn PA 7-350 delivered was an AMAZING deal! The list price on that amp when it came out a couple years ago was $3700!!
And it has a 10year warranty.

At first I was looking at getting a sec generation Emotiva XPA-3 but there was no way I was passing up the PA 7-350. I'm only using it to power my LCR's so it rated to deliver 850w @ 4ohm 3-channel.

Im going to wait for XPA5 G2 to go on sale then order one I think, I wish they sold 7 channel amps in one unit.

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s7201 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page