Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 220 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 20191Likes

Old 10-17-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
WhoaMG surprise bass! Have you guys seen Silver Linings Playbook?

It doesn't have any special bass content, it's just really, really excellent and something you should see if you haven't. Seriously. Spectacular. Especially if you don't like romantic comedies.

K back to bass

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

WhoaMG surprise bass! Have you guys seen Silver Linings Playbook?

It doesn't have any special bass content, it's just really, really excellent and something you should see if you haven't. Seriously. Spectacular. Especially if you don't like romantic comedies.

K back to bass

Hey Sav, is this movie available now, Redbox etc.? Thanks to all the guys who made the thanks comments for posting the pics. I wanted to share something about the finishes on the Triax and other subs. I commented to Jim about the lines or cracks and some indents on the top of the cab and how nice and natural this looked and added to the appearance of the sub. He replied back " The lines and cracks are part of the natural wood because it is real wood. Most companies use either a faux wood (which is actually a picture of wood grain on a piece of vinyl) or they add as many layers as necessary of clear coat to fill in the character of the wood, we thought the natural was so much more real because it is. smile.gif Guys you really have to see these finishes, I can't believe my huge sub (and all cab sides) was only $200 extra, that's a steal when you realize how much surface area there is. Jim told me his arms are like jello now after installing all those drivers, I'm glad I was one of the first to get mine, ordered June 5th, long wait, but Man O' Man what a sub. I haven't even plugged it in yet. tongue.gif
Cheers Jeff
Old 10-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I've joined the family. Very happy with the purchase so far.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Hey Sav, is this movie available now, Redbox etc.?

Cheers Jeff

Heck yeah, it's a 2012 release. Let me know what you think, if you see it smile.gif
ahblaza likes this.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post

I've joined the family. Very happy with the purchase so far.

Nice. Where does it live? What kind of material have you played so far?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

Nice. Where does it live? What kind of material have you played so far?

Haven't had too much time with it. I've played some music and a few familiar scenes from the Transformers and Batman Blu-rays.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Like a rat in a trap, gentlemen!"

Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 4738
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Basshead, have you had a chance to watch Pacific Rim yet in your room?

I watched in the other night with the wife and kids, holy crap that's a great bass movie. The XS30's were shacking the house pretty violently!...lol

Not yet! plan on it Friday night so I can turn it up!
Quote:

Hey Guys, I took some pics of my Cordovan Triax, pictures don't do it justice, the grain highlights are astounding, no flaws, everything is symetrical if you know what I mean. You really can't tell how nice these drivers are, the surrounds are thick and the woofers are just beggin to be pumping. 001.jpg 52k .jpg file
002.jpg 42k .jpg file
003.jpg 42k .jpg file
004.jpg 48k .jpg file
005.jpg 72k .jpg file
006.jpg 44k .jpg file
007.jpg 39k .jpg file
009.jpg 71k .jpg file

Should have some impressions by tomorrow, I like the amp option for rooms up to 5000 cf and 5000 cf and up. It also has LEDs for monitoring status of the amp, clipping, over current, under current, wiring phase correct and not and so on, very sophisticated and simple as well. Power cord is a very robust design, balanced input supplied as well as adapter for unbalanced connection with RCA cable and double female ended RCA splicer, everything you need to blow your house up biggrin.gif

Billy, the Cordovan is a little darker than the pics, a couple of the ones I took closely match the true shade my friend, I've seen the STs and the Cordovan is pretty close, so go for it my man, XS30 waiting for you.
As far as the OP is concerned, I think you would be better served with dual XV15s rather than the 30s, just my opinion as I had them, my choice would be dual XS30s tho. .
Thanks guys for looking, more to come.............smile.gif
Jeff

PS...forgot to add that a stamp on the back of amp lets you know how inspected your sub, Jim did mine and told me how time consuming and difficult it was to put one of these beasts together......KUDOS to PSA, we got a lot more than we bargained for and I haven't even powered it up yet......eek.gif

Dead Sexy!
ellisr63 and steve nn like this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 10-17-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Whoa that is very close...thanks Jeffery.....I've thought about contacting PSA about obtaining some samples to mull over. Fwiw...my budget is about 2G's (-/+200) CDN...of course the xs30 is only slighty large(4" wider) than my current sub which would give me exactly what I'm looking for. Another option slighly above my budget is Seatons SubM but it approx 10" wider and YES...it passes the WAF on looks but it just to big and I'll hear about...Lastly I've thought about going with Funk again but his designs are catering to a different clientele and why I've come to PSA....smile.gif
ahblaza likes this.

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo BDP-103D,
Apple TV+ Giga 1800

Sub FA 18(Santos RW)
Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
FYI - I posted a number of pictures and impressions of my Triax's over in the Triax thread.

JTR (3 215 RT, 5 212HTR, 2 Growlers, 4 S2's)
PSA (4 Triax's)
DIY Sound Group (4 Volt 8's in Slanted boxes, 3 Volt 8's in Ported boxes)
SVS (2 SB13+ and one SB12-NSD)
Old 10-18-2013, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

So assuming you have either 8' or 9' ceilings your room is basically 2400-2700cu/ft.

11FT Wide

27FT Long

8FT Height

correct 2,376

Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

"Like a rat in a trap, gentlemen!"

"We might have the wrong animal there, sir!"
Old 10-18-2013, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

"We might have the wrong animal there, sir!"

Haha, word

Old 10-18-2013, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I am not insulting you, I just thought it was funny how you said it. I am sorry if I insulted you. I should have worded it better.

I do however see post after post from guys that say they are not allowed to get a subwoofer or a speaker because it is to big or ugly or whatever. It just boggles my mind that they take no for an answer.

Nah, it's fine smile.gif I do hear ya though in regards to taking no for an answer. To me a marriage is all about give and take so, like you, it frustrates me to see guys get shutdown because their wives wont consider their subwoofer desires because it is not "pretty".

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend CBM-170 SE surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules
SVS PB12 Plus (x2) PSA XV15SE (x2)
Denon X4200w / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Samsung UHD BD K8500
Sony XBR75X940C / Samsung 60F8000
Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM

Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post

Nah, it's fine smile.gif I do hear ya though in regards to taking no for an answer. To me a marriage is all about give and take so, like you, it frustrates me to see guys get shutdown because their wives wont consider their subwoofer desires because it is not "pretty".

That's because they get to cry and it's unmanly to make your woman cry......and they know this.

Camera shot on some sort of woman's talk show; man says something to wife and she starts to cry. The crowd calls out to hang the cad.

I stood my ground. I got the subwoofer and my ex got half.

It really is tilted in the woman's favor. The trick is to whine, mope and complain until she says: "If it will get to to shut up.....buy the stupid thing."

Based on the above, I'm reminded of a thought for a bumper sticker: "Every time I try to man up, I get bitch-slapped back down." tongue.gif

It's a fine line between growing a pair and being stupid.
Blackmambakila likes this.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

That's because they get to cry and it's unmanly to make your woman cry......and they know this.

Camera shot on some sort of woman's talk show; man says something to wife and she starts to cry. The crowd calls out to hang the cad.

I stood my ground. I got the subwoofer and my ex got half.

It really is tilted in the woman's favor. The trick is to whine, mope and complain until she says: "If it will get to to shut up.....buy the stupid thing."

Based on the above, I'm reminded of a thought for a bumper sticker: "Every time I try to man up, I get bitch-slapped back down." tongue.gif

It's a fine line between growing a pair and being stupid.

Somehow I managed to stay single for 3 years, that wasnt the case before that though. In the past i hooked up mercedes and bmws so everytime I went all out on car audio or rims, ect. I would hear it all the time even though I was still always paying everything. For now im trying to stay single but ive got some eyeing me so hopefully I dont give in until after I finish all my plans eek.gif

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcmWTpBcm0
Triax! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhoKuxirdIg
http://...
Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 AM

I'd let her know from the gate that you're into your hobbies and if she isn't into supporting your hobbies, then she should be looking in another direction.

At twenty-seven, my hobby was partying every day of the week. At that age, most gals were right there with a guy and when one becomes a homebody and hobbies change to home centric hobbies, women have a way of not understanding and then relationships fall apart. Fortunately, as my relationship with my wife evolved, we both became homebodies and we work to make everyday a special day.

Today's specialty, going into the backyard with a metal detector to dig up buried fence nails. She swings the metal detector and I do the digging. Through it all, she knows and understands how important the Home Theater is to me so, although it's not her thing and she may not like it, within reason, she approves and we get along on the Home Theater issues.

We currently have a 60" screen. When this screen fails, we've talked about a replacement screen and decided that an 80" screen is too big for our room and we'll go with a 70" screen. Because of our interaction, yes, a 4520ci is in my future. Because of my interaction with the forum, shortly (medical bills to be paid first) I'll be upgrading the subwoofer sound reproduction system.

It's all about finding a companion that understands.

-
Old 10-18-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I figure as long as bills and everything are getting paid then it should be 50/50. Everybody gets a turn getting what they want, whats the point of life it you cant enjoy it. Unfortunately its hard to find a good match these days

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post

I figure as long as bills and everything are getting paid then it should be 50/50. Everybody gets a turn getting what they want, whats the point of life it you cant enjoy it. Unfortunately its hard to find a good match these days

I'm with you on that. She got diamonds and pearls and I got subwoofers and camera lenses. Being retired, we go slower and eventually, get where we want to go. Can't wait to read your response to your first Triax as we both know there's a second Triax in your life that just hasn't been ordered yet. cool.gif
Old 10-18-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm with you on that. She got diamonds and pearls and I got subwoofers and camera lenses. Being retired, we go slower and eventually, get where we want to go. Can't wait to read your response to your first Triax as we both know there's a second Triax in your life that just hasn't been ordered yet. cool.gif

Ive got a couple ideas up my sleeve but it looks like dual Triaxs is a knock out for anyones room! With this spl meter I can atleast get my placement for optimal output in play and ill get room measuring equipment if needed but hopefully I wont need a spl meter that goes above 130dbs to do it because they cost like $700 or $800!

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 402
When we looked at houses... I said I want a pond, garage and a theater, the rest of the house you do whatever you want. Works fine.
Blackmambakila likes this.

Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, 4 JBL 8340As, 4 JBL 8320s, PS3, XBoxOne, 2 Intel NUCs, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster HTPS7000, 2 Furman filters, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 195" diagonal scope screen, Panamorph UH-480, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Crest Audio CM2208s, Yamaha XM-4080, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

When we looked at houses... I said I want a pond, garage and a theater, the rest of the house you do whatever you want. Works fine.

Sounds simple and fair, good thing it worked! Hopefully im still single until I buy a house, that way I can make a man cave first. Itll be hard though because come this summer therell be foxes everywhere and I better keep my shades on! eek.gif
ellisr63 likes this.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

This is exactly what I told my wife and she is good with it. Next house(hopefully soon) will sit on 10-20acres, with a pond,woods, and pole barn. All I want in the house is a dedicated theatre, the rest is hers.
ellisr63 likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 10-18-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ive got a couple ideas up my sleeve but it looks like dual Triaxs is a knock out for anyones room! With this spl meter I can atleast get my placement for optimal output in play and ill get room measuring equipment if needed but hopefully I wont need a spl meter that goes above 130dbs to do it because they cost like $700 or $800!

buy a mic and download rew...that will measure above 130db and much more accurately. you dont want to use a 50.00 hand held meter for max spl readings anyway. they are inaccurate above 120db anyhow.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:

.....because come this summer therell be foxes everywhere and I better keep my shades on! eek.gif

That's why it's polite to let the wife or girlfriend walk down the beach or mall.......in front of you. biggrin.gif
ellisr63 likes this.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

buy a mic and download rew...that will measure above 130db and much more accurately. you dont want to use a 50.00 hand held meter for max spl readings anyway. they are inaccurate above 120db anyhow.

Basshead, all I have is an ipad and a mac. Would this all work pretty simple on the mac if I order the usb mic and download REW to it? Any particular mic I should get?
ellisr63 likes this.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That's why it's polite to let the wife or girlfriend walk down the beach or mall.......in front of you. biggrin.gif

True! Well atleast ill have fun with my bedroom setup for now and just keep working on my new house idea. Ive seen members here build dream setups for way less than $100k, so im going to shoot for $100k as my limit for when I get a new house and then go from there. biggrin.gif
ellisr63 likes this.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I don't think you will have any trouble with a single xs30 paired with dual xs15's....although the xs15's will reach their limits before the xs30. So I would keep that in mind. Possibly keep the xs15's closer to the LP and the xs30 further away.

Quote:

I agree with that assumption, I also would like to state that I had two XV15s upfront and a XS30 nearfield behind seating position. wink.gif

Quote:

We normally listen in the -30MCV to -20MCV levels. Measurement wise, the sound meter measures the movie volume from 65dB - 96dB. The only time it records louder (>105dB) is when the wife is outside and she has been given advance notice of the volume control being turned up. I would love to hear recorded pipe organ music as it was intended to be played back.

At 12Hz, do you or anybody think the XS15/XS30 combo would be challenged by the above level of playback?

Hey, Bee. Just curious why you've decided on 2 XS15s and one XS30, rather than just getting 3 XS15s? Seems to me like you could save about $400, while making calibration/integration of the 3 subs a bit easier, without giving up very much in the way of output.

Am I wrong? (Definitely possible! tongue.gif)

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS4, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200,
Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
Old 10-18-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

Hey, Bee. Just curious why you've decided on 2 XS15s and one XS30, rather than just getting 3 XS15s?

A couple of pages back, in post #6584, I agreed with your above. I'm trying to get as many drivers in the room for the best price possible.

It really is hard to make the best choice for a room that fits all the basic parameters and needs. A man always wonders.........what will the wife say about your purchase when you bring the little puppies into the living room with you because the last thing a man wants to hear is....."GET THOSE THINGS OUT OF HERE!" tongue.gif
Old 10-18-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

Basshead, all I have is an ipad and a mac. Would this all work pretty simple on the mac if I order the usb mic and download REW to it? Any particular mic I should get?

Hi Blackmambakila, before you order ... just for fun use your Denon Audyssey mic to get your feet wet with REW. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15