Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 244 - AVS Forum
First ... 242  243  244 245  246  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread
steve nn's Avatar steve nn 06:08 PM 11-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Not trying to blow smoke up your skirt but with your skills, for giggles, I would expect that it'd be easy to knockout a couple of IB units. confused.gif

When I built that sub I had 6 15”s on hand and seriously thought about it, but in the end a enclosure called. smile.gif I better not catch you looking up my skirt though!

BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 06:28 PM 11-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

I better not catch you looking up my skirt though!

...biggrin.gif
RxDrugDealer's Avatar RxDrugDealer 05:50 PM 11-15-2013
I received my XV30 yesterday and let me just say, this thing is a behemoth. I have a pair of Arx A3rx-c on order and an A2rx-c center channel, but I don't expect them for delivery until later this month. I have some old satellite speakers from my Logitech Z-2300 system, but they connect via RCA. Is there any way to connect these to my Denon AVR X1000 so I can listen to my xv30 until my Arx speakers arrive? It's driving me crazy having this big subwoofer sitting in the corner of my room and no way to play with it.

As an aside, I would have waited to get speaker/sub at the same time, but decided to jump on the XV30 in the outlet center before it got gone.
mdanderson's Avatar mdanderson 06:07 PM 11-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDrugDealer View Post

I received my XV30 yesterday and let me just say, this thing is a behemoth. I have a pair of Arx A3rx-c on order and an A2rx-c center channel, but I don't expect them for delivery until later this month. I have some old satellite speakers from my Logitech Z-2300 system, but they connect via RCA. Is there any way to connect these to my Denon AVR X1000 so I can listen to my xv30 until my Arx speakers arrive? It's driving me crazy having this big subwoofer sitting in the corner of my room and no way to play with it.

As an aside, I would have waited to get speaker/sub at the same time, but decided to jump on the XV30 in the outlet center before it got gone.

Once you get your new speakers let us know how eveything sounds with your setup. Looks like it will be really nice with those Arx speakers and the XV30.
RxDrugDealer's Avatar RxDrugDealer 09:52 PM 11-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post

Once you get your new speakers let us know how eveything sounds with your setup. Looks like it will be really nice with those Arx speakers and the XV30.
I definitely will do that. Upgrading from the meager, yet quite capable for its price/size, Z-2300 should be a pleasant surprise.

I'm thinking of just hooking the xv30 up to the avr and listening to a few bass heavy tracks to get my first feel of the sub and its capabilities. To me, just running the sub with no other speakers hooked up sounds like it's safe, but I want to be sure I'm not overlooking something before I give it a go. I know I will not really hear anything other than the low frequencies, but can someone just confirm that I can run only the sub with no other speakers hooked up and not ruin anything? Sorry in advance for the noob question, just trying to be safe with my $1200 investment wink.gif
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 09:56 PM 11-15-2013
There is nothing wrong with just running the Subs.
morbidcorpse's Avatar morbidcorpse 11:05 PM 11-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDrugDealer View Post

I received my XV30 yesterday and let me just say, this thing is a behemoth. I have a pair of Arx A3rx-c on order and an A2rx-c center channel, but I don't expect them for delivery until later this month. I have some old satellite speakers from my Logitech Z-2300 system, but they connect via RCA. Is there any way to connect these to my Denon AVR X1000 so I can listen to my xv30 until my Arx speakers arrive? It's driving me crazy having this big subwoofer sitting in the corner of my room and no way to play with it.

As an aside, I would have waited to get speaker/sub at the same time, but decided to jump on the XV30 in the outlet center before it got gone.
So it was YOU that stole my subwoofer! I was going to buy it, but you beat me to it
RxDrugDealer's Avatar RxDrugDealer 12:17 AM 11-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post

So it was YOU that stole my subwoofer! I was going to buy it, but you beat me to it
Sorry morbidcorpse! Didn't mean to "sub block" you wink.gif That outlet center deal was just too good to pass up! I can definitely say the XV30 is as big as everyone says it is. It's truly massive when you compare it to my old Z-2300 8" subwoofer (see crappy cell phone picture below). I haven't been able to really test it out yet as my main LCR speakers are on order. I did plug it in to the AVR tonight and ran some bass heavy songs through it. Without calibration and main speakers it expectedly sounds boomy, but this should be smoothed out when properly calibrated via Audyssey. It shakes objects that hang on the wall over 20 feet away which is awesome smile.gif I'll be sure to update everyone when my Arx speakers finally get here and I run Audyssey.


Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 08:03 AM 11-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDrugDealer View Post

Sorry morbidcorpse! Didn't mean to "sub block" you wink.gif That outlet center deal was just too good to pass up! I can definitely say the XV30 is as big as everyone says it is. It's truly massive when you compare it to my old Z-2300 8" subwoofer (see crappy cell phone picture below). I haven't been able to really test it out yet as my main LCR speakers are on order. I did plug it in to the AVR tonight and ran some bass heavy songs through it. Without calibration and main speakers it expectedly sounds boomy, but this should be smoothed out when properly calibrated via Audyssey. It shakes objects that hang on the wall over 20 feet away which is awesome smile.gif I'll be sure to update everyone when my Arx speakers finally get here and I run Audyssey.

I wonder if that was one of my XV-30's?
RxDrugDealer's Avatar RxDrugDealer 10:07 AM 11-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I wonder if that was one of my XV-30's?
The one that I purchased was a c stock unit. These carry 4 year warranty vs 5 year so I'm assuming that means the unit is about 1 year old. Depending on when you purchased, my XV30 could have been yours previously. Don't worry, I'll take good care of her wink.gif
Goat1's Avatar Goat1 01:55 PM 11-16-2013
Looks like it is too close to the wall. You need to give that port in the back some room..
raynist's Avatar raynist 03:59 PM 11-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post

Looks like it is too close to the wall. You need to give that port in the back some room..

I think it is fine. Look at the bottom of the sub compared to the baseboards. He has 4 inches which is all that is required.

Looking at the top of the sub it looks like it is flush with the wall.
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 04:42 PM 11-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDrugDealer View Post

Sorry morbidcorpse! Didn't mean to "sub block" you wink.gif That outlet center deal was just too good to pass up! I can definitely say the XV30 is as big as everyone says it is. It's truly massive when you compare it to my old Z-2300 8" subwoofer (see crappy cell phone picture below). I haven't been able to really test it out yet as my main LCR speakers are on order. I did plug it in to the AVR tonight and ran some bass heavy songs through it. Without calibration and main speakers it expectedly sounds boomy, but this should be smoothed out when properly calibrated via Audyssey. It shakes objects that hang on the wall over 20 feet away which is awesome smile.gif I'll be sure to update everyone when my Arx speakers finally get here and I run Audyssey.


Looks Nice! I luv the baseplate XV subs, they look like furniture.
RxDrugDealer's Avatar RxDrugDealer 05:44 PM 11-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post

Looks like it is too close to the wall. You need to give that port in the back some room..
I have it approximately 6 inches from the back and side wall, but I could see how that would be hard to tell from the picture.

The only problem I'm having now is that the sub shakes/rattles everything near it. I love the shaking and vibration that it creates, but cannot stand the annoying rattles. I have remedied the situation when it comes to pictures, mirrors, and clocks that are hanging on the wall, but am having trouble with another area. It sounds like my HVAC vent is rattling. It's located directly above the subwoofer in the ceiling. I screwed in the vent cover tightly and can't really feel any vibrations in the cover, but can still hear some rattling near the vent. I'm thinking it could be something in the actual vent or behind the wall near the vent (drywall nails or something like that). Has anyone ever had this issue and were you able to fix it? Do you think this will get better after Audyssey calibration or will that even make a difference?
D Bone's Avatar D Bone 06:49 PM 11-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post

Looks like it is too close to the wall. You need to give that port in the back some room..


Tom told me that he suggests at least 1/2 of the flare opening of space to the wall which would be 2" of clearance for my XV15's 4" port. Placement to the rear wall was a consideration I had before buying and he said the 3-1/2" that I have was fine, and absolutely nothing to worry about.
booga24's Avatar booga24 02:53 PM 11-17-2013
So I am back with an update, after calibrating my speakers Aperion 5T (7 speaker system) and the xv15 with Denon X3000. I still hear port noise when watching monument scene in OHF, I know is a very challenging scene but its demo movie so I hate it every time I hear it.

I am going to try my xv15 with X4000 with XT32 or return it and go with xs15 or xs30, might even consider HSU VTF 15 eek.gif. I love the xv15 but can't stand the port noise with that scene.
Joshjp's Avatar Joshjp 04:42 PM 11-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24 View Post

So I am back with an update, after calibrating my speakers Aperion 5T (7 speaker system) and the xv15 with Denon X3000. I still hear port noise when watching monument scene in OHF, I know is a very challenging scene but its demo movie so I hate it every time I hear it.

I am going to try my xv15 with X4000 with XT32 or return it and go with xs15 or xs30, might even consider HSU VTF 15 eek.gif. I love the xv15 but can't stand the port noise with that scene.
How loud were you watching it?
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 04:47 PM 11-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24 View Post

So I am back with an update, after calibrating my speakers Aperion 5T (7 speaker system) and the xv15 with Denon X3000. I still hear port noise when watching monument scene in OHF, I know is a very challenging scene but its demo movie so I hate it every time I hear it.

I am going to try my xv15 with X4000 with XT32 or return it and go with xs15 or xs30, might even consider HSU VTF 15 eek.gif. I love the xv15 but can't stand the port noise with that scene.

you would seriously return a subwoofer over one movie scene?
dominguez1's Avatar dominguez1 05:47 PM 11-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24 View Post

So I am back with an update, after calibrating my speakers Aperion 5T (7 speaker system) and the xv15 with Denon X3000. I still hear port noise when watching monument scene in OHF, I know is a very challenging scene but its demo movie so I hate it every time I hear it.

I am going to try my xv15 with X4000 with XT32 or return it and go with xs15 or xs30, might even consider HSU VTF 15 eek.gif. I love the xv15 but can't stand the port noise with that scene.
That is probably the most demanding movie scene in the history of movies...if you want to guarantee no noticeable port noise, then you need to go sealed. Just be prepared to spend 2 to 3 times more to get the same output at the ported subs tune.
booga24's Avatar booga24 05:50 PM 11-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

you would seriously return a subwoofer over one movie scene?

Shows how much I hate port noise and I'm not returning it to be subless smile.gif.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 05:52 PM 11-17-2013
. deleted
booga24's Avatar booga24 05:52 PM 11-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

How loud were you watching it?

80 on the master volume sub at 12.
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 05:53 PM 11-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

That is probably the most demanding movie scene in the history of movies...if you want to guarantee no noticeable port noise, then you need to go sealed. Just be prepared to spend 2 to 3 times more to get the same output at the ported subs tune.
How does the xs30 compare to the port tune of the xv15?
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 05:54 PM 11-17-2013
. deleted
booga24's Avatar booga24 06:00 PM 11-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

That is probably the most demanding movie scene in the history of movies...if you want to guarantee no noticeable port noise, then you need to go sealed. Just be prepared to spend 2 to 3 times more to get the same output at the ported subs tune.


Can't go 2 to 3 times in terms of price so I'm consideration xs30, I might gain something in my 12' w x 21' d x 8' h room.
dominguez1's Avatar dominguez1 06:02 PM 11-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

What about the pod emerging scene in WOTW and F*g Irene in Black Hawk Down? With one port open, can a pair of FV15HPs handle these scenes without port noise?
With ported subs, there is always a potential to hear air though the port. Whether it is noticeable depends on where it is placed in the room, the other bass frequencies of the content, and how loud you listen. Where I have my ported subs, it's rare that I hear port noise...but I also have 2 21in drivers helping the fv15hps out. For the three movies mentioned, during full demo reference demo scenes (and higher) I do not hear port noise.
Joshjp's Avatar Joshjp 06:06 PM 11-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24 View Post

80 on the master volume sub at 12.
Ok i dont know how that is to thx relitive vol.
booga24's Avatar booga24 06:16 PM 11-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

Ok i dont know how that is to thx relitive vol.

I believe 80 plus is reference level.
dominguez1's Avatar dominguez1 06:18 PM 11-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24 View Post

Can't go 2 to 3 times in terms of price so I'm consideration xs30, I might gain something in my 12' w x 21' d x 8' h room.
IMO, the xs30 and xv15 would audibly be very similar below 20hz, with a slight perceptable edge to the xv15. If you wanted to step up the ulf performance from the XV in a sealed form, I'd suggest the Rythmik f25. The xs30 will get rid of the port noise though and have advantages in the higher bass frequencies.
Joshjp's Avatar Joshjp 06:33 PM 11-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24 View Post

I believe 80 plus is reference level.
Ahh ok, well that is super loud for one XV-15.
Tags: Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
First ... 242  243  244 245  246  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop