Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 256 - AVS Forum
First ... 254  255  256 257  258  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 08:20 AM 12-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

well....it sounds phenomenal! just there is that narrow dip at 14hz...which I am thinking something is eating that frequency response...since 2 subs did not tame it.

but unfortunately for the next 2 years or so (until we buy a bigger house) the way they sit is it for placement options...to be honest I shouldn't say unfortunately cause I am so happy with their overall performance I can take that slight blip on the FR smile.gif

If it sounds good then thats all that matters. If that dip was gone you would be +/-5db @10hz.

neutro's Avatar neutro 08:56 AM 12-12-2013
As mentioned previously a 14 Hz dip is probably not a room mode. Also I was pretty convinced that asymmetrical placement would be best too but found out that flanking my TV did provide the best results of all available positions in my room. It turns out that few rooms are symmetrical to begin with considering openings, windows, materials, etc.
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 09:13 AM 12-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

If it sounds good then thats all that matters. If that dip was gone you would be +/-5db @10hz.

yes it sounds fantastic!! and correct smile.gif and with 1/6 smoothing (which is how we hear) I am actually even with the dip like +/-2.5 to 10.5hz cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

As mentioned previously a 14 Hz dip is probably not a room mode. Also I was pretty convinced that asymmetrical placement would be best too but found out that flanking my TV did provide the best results of all available positions in my room. It turns out that few rooms are symmetrical to begin with considering openings, windows, materials, etc.

yeah it is not symmetrically placed on the wall by any means...wink.gif
Joshjp's Avatar Joshjp 09:49 AM 12-12-2013
I'm glad you like it Brian, now just CRANK up some movies.
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 09:50 AM 12-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

I'm glad you like it Brian, now just CRANK up some movies.
Quote:

Quote:

thats the plan biggrin.gif:D:D
sexion 8's Avatar sexion 8 11:17 AM 12-12-2013
Quote:

yes it sounds fantastic!! and correct smile.gif and with 1/6 smoothing (which is how we hear) I am actually even with the dip like +/-2.5 to 10.5hz cool.gif
yeah it is not symmetrically placed on the wall by any means...wink.gif

Run a sweep just on the right sub only and see what u get.

Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 11:20 AM 12-12-2013
K maybe I can try that tonight
Billy p's Avatar Billy p 02:14 PM 12-12-2013
Woo...hoo I just received a picture of some newly assembled xs30 from Tom including mine. The best part though it came with a tracking number on route to Detroit...cool.gif

Ps: That was very nice of him and I didn't even ask to see pic's! Darn I wish they were both mine...tongue.gif

Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 02:44 PM 12-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Woo...hoo I just received a picture of some newly assembled xs30 from Tom including mine. The best part though it came with a tracking number on route to Detroit...cool.gif

Ps: That was very nice of him and I didn't even ask to see pic's! Darn I wish they were both mine...tongue.gif

FROM EXPERIENCE, yes you really do hahaha

congrats, its gorgeous!
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 08:21 PM 12-12-2013

Latest graph after a little tweaking
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 08:37 PM 12-12-2013
Great looking graph! Woo-hoo!

Not trying to be a downer. I was under impression that the XS30 would go lower than 10Hz. confused.gif
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 08:43 PM 12-12-2013
Thanks. And yeah me too. Guess my room gain isn't enough :/. Oh well I'll take it!!
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 08:44 PM 12-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Great looking graph! Woo-hoo!

Not trying to be a downer. I was under impression that the XS30 would go lower than 10Hz. confused.gif

With adequate room gain they would....this is why I suggested you go with the sub you purchased. It takes room gain to lift a sealed subs lowed. Not sayin Brians graph is bad, it is really good.
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 08:46 PM 12-12-2013
Quote:

With adequate room gain they would....this is why I suggested you go with the sub you purchased. It takes room gain to lift a sealed subs lowed. Not sayin Brians graph is bad, it is really good.
Thanks I am pleased. Let's put it this way. It goes way deeper than the xv15 ever would in my room smile.gif

And at 10hz its super clean output. Totally in audible with 90 DB testtones going through it
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 05:27 AM 12-13-2013
Quote:

Thanks. And yeah me too. Guess my room gain isn't enough :/. Oh well I'll take it!!

Absolutely as that looks like a very usable 10Hz and an excellent +/-3dB graph. I should be so lucky with our pending delivery. Congratulations on your successful efforts. Woo-hoo! biggrin.gif

Now the $64k question: what movies did you run through your system and how much difference are you aware of using two vs one XS30?

Quote:

With adequate room gain they would....this is why I suggested you go with the sub you purchased. It takes room gain to lift a sealed subs lowed.

Well, I for one appreciate the recommendation and if I can get UPS to release the hostages, I'll be able to finally find out what it's all about as I'm still back with 20Hz, two Klipsch SW12 IIs and a Klipsch RW12d. I am at the point of removing these subs from the room as there's no point keeping them in the room......I don't use them anymore so it's time to donate them to the local church.

-
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 05:51 AM 12-13-2013
Quote:

Absolutely as that looks like a very usable 10Hz and an excellent +/-3dB graph. I should be so lucky with our pending delivery. Congratulations on your successful efforts. Woo-hoo! biggrin.gif

Now the $64k question: what movies did you run through your system and how much difference are you aware of using two vs one XS30?
Well, I for one appreciate the recommendation and if I can get UPS to release the hostages, I'll be able to finally find out what it's all about as I'm still back with 20Hz, two Klipsch SW12 IIs and a Klipsch RW12d. I am at the point of removing these subs from the room as there's no point keeping them in the room......I don't use them anymore so it's time to donate them to the local church.

-

yup my +/- 3db is around just nuder 11Hz and I am +/-5db to 10Hz.....which is fantastic...with my single XV15 ported I was only +/-5 to about 15hz...imho I really prefer the sound of sealed..but am very curious how your Rythmic's will sound as they are supposed to "act" like sealed subs very very well! can I ask where you live that UPS is holding them on you?

and for demo's literally every scene on the bass demo disc....but the ones I could tell HUGE difference between 1 and 2 subs were:

Battle:LA. before I actually hated the LFE in this and couldn't understand why people loved it...it all seems one note boom to me..well...now I see what they were raving about! it has super deep effects that rumble your bum bum. and they are across the badwidth.

Olympus has fallen : the monument scene has been discussed as the next coming (of the best LFE movie). well unfortunately one xs30 did not give me the impression it was anything special....but now with 2!!! again I see what everyone was raving about!! holy cow is that impressive

those are the main differences in actually now feeling the REALLY low effects...the other observations, were the overall smoothness of everything. its as if the bass is now in the entire room (instead of emanating from the side that the sub is located on more than anything (single setup). things really pack a punch more so than ever. mid bass slam is ridiculous now being able to reproduce reference from 16hz>

I honestly couldn't be happier. I really wish (as always) I could have afforded and gotten the wifes permission to buy duals from the get go (kudos BeeMan!!) because this is what its all about...you THINK you have it good with 1 xs30...but duals is insane, and the talk of YOU MUST HAVE DUALS...is the most warranted comment on these boards.

the the not so fun part..with a business trip coming up and the holidays with the extended family almost no movies or music will happen in the next 3 weeks frown.gif so I have to wait until after the new year...but oh what a fun new year it will be!!!
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 06:12 AM 12-13-2013
Quote:
the the not so fun part..with a business trip coming up and the holidays with the extended family almost no movies or music will happen in the next 3 weeks frown.gif so I have to wait until after the new year...but oh what a fun new year it will be!!!

I hate it when that happens. tongue.gif

We're up in the mountains above a college town called Chico. As the crow flies, we're about a hundred miles north of Sacramento. Usually, UPS delivery is spot on. This last snow fall must have messed up large item delivery times.

Great synopsis. Thanks!

For the time being, I'm just going have to live vicariously though you guys. tongue.gif

-
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 07:04 AM 12-13-2013
oh forgot to mention flight of the pheonix...while it was always impressive to me (all my subs have been strong at 30hz where the plane roll scene is centered) it now REALLY pressurizes the room where your ears almost pop, and the pressure makes you feel a little queasy...so you really feel what it must be like in a rolliong plane like that
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 07:10 AM 12-13-2013
...biggrin.gif

We have FOTP, at the ready captain.

...biggrin.gif

but got no subwoofers........frown.gif
Cowboys's Avatar Cowboys 07:36 AM 12-13-2013
Quote:

yup my +/- 3db is around just nuder 11Hz and I am +/-5db to 10Hz.....which is fantastic...with my single XV15 ported I was only +/-5 to about 15hz...imho I really prefer the sound of sealed..but am very curious how your Rythmic's will sound as they are supposed to "act" like sealed subs very very well! can I ask where you live that UPS is holding them on you?

and for demo's literally every scene on the bass demo disc....but the ones I could tell HUGE difference between 1 and 2 subs were:

Battle:LA. before I actually hated the LFE in this and couldn't understand why people loved it...it all seems one note boom to me..well...now I see what they were raving about! it has super deep effects that rumble your bum bum. and they are across the badwidth.

Olympus has fallen : the monument scene has been discussed as the next coming (of the best LFE movie). well unfortunately one xs30 did not give me the impression it was anything special....but now with 2!!! again I see what everyone was raving about!! holy cow is that impressive

those are the main differences in actually now feeling the REALLY low effects...the other observations, were the overall smoothness of everything. its as if the bass is now in the entire room (instead of emanating from the side that the sub is located on more than anything (single setup). things really pack a punch more so than ever. mid bass slam is ridiculous now being able to reproduce reference from 16hz>

I honestly couldn't be happier. I really wish (as always) I could have afforded and gotten the wifes permission to buy duals from the get go (kudos BeeMan!!) because this is what its all about...you THINK you have it good with 1 xs30...but duals is insane, and the talk of YOU MUST HAVE DUALS...is the most warranted comment on these boards.

That is awesome to hear. What does your X4000 set your subs at? Do you run them hotter? Can your speakers keep up? Speakers upgrade next when winning more poker money? smile.gif
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 07:40 AM 12-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

That is awesome to hear. What does your X4000 set your subs at? Do you run them hotter? Can your speakers keep up? Speakers upgrade next when winning more poker money? smile.gif

firstly yes the speakers keep up beautifully...I don't see myself ever upgrading them to be honest...but ya never know with me hhaa.

and the x4000 set them a s -9.5 and -8.0 respectivly...but after running REW i had to bump them up together to -4.5 and -3.0 to get them to be flat with thee mains....so yes I run them hotter only to level off the graph...smile.gif and I have DEQ engaged at all times sine I usually listen (alone) from -5 to -10...(with family around) -12 to -20
Cowboys's Avatar Cowboys 07:49 AM 12-13-2013
Cool. Good to know. Are the gain on your subs about the same? With AVS, there is always something to be upgraded in the horizon frown.gif
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 08:53 AM 12-13-2013
Quote:

Cool. Good to know. Are the gain on your subs about the same? With AVS, there is always something to be upgraded in the horizon frown.gif
To be honest I was blindly turning the gain on the amps since they are against the wAll. And just looking at the screen to get them to 75db. So I'm not sure where they are on the sub amp

Shhhhh I am content without upgrading for now....as Carlos can attest I have been on an upgrade rampage starting at EXACTLY one year ago...why I went from klipsch speakers to PSB and have been upgrading constantly since haha. But this system is incredible. I am content...

For now wink.gif
neutro's Avatar neutro 09:38 AM 12-13-2013
Quote:

While you'll have to wait to listen to *your* content *your* way, try to see the opportunities instead.

Will you be hosting a party on year's end? Wait until someone wants to dance and raise the volume on pop music biggrin.gif

Will there be kids to keep entertained? Why not pop "How to train your dragon" and subtly increase the volume toward the end! tongue.gif

Maybe one stepbrother will notice the wall flexing and ask if you could demo something else for him. Now you'll just pop a demo disc. Etc. etc.
Quote:

But this system is incredible. I am content...

For now wink.gif

Well you know what? I think I reached a level where I am content for good now. It's been stable for months now. I mean okay I got a new receiver but that was mainly to fix network issues -- sound-wise I was perfectly content with the previous one. Speakers? Totally alright. Subs? Way more than I can handle anyway. Receiver? I still have a few gripes but I feel there's just no product on the market to alleviate them anyway. TV? It's been 4-5 years now and my plasma Panny ST still provides a better image than all of my friend's. My GF wants to build a training room downstairs and wants a "small" TV there so instead I might take the occasion to move the current TV downstairs and buy a new, larger one, but that would still be an ST (if there are still some left after Christmas). So it wouldn't really be an upgrade, and not driven by want.

Sure one day... one day... I see myself with a dedicated HT / entertainment room with Noesis or Catalyst-class speakers, and perhaps DIY subs, who knows. But it's totally out of the question for the foreseeable future. The next upgrade will be in-ceiling speakers for the kitchen smile.gif
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 09:47 AM 12-13-2013
Quote:

Receiver? I still have a few gripes but I feel there's just no product on the market to alleviate them anyway.

Currently, I've got my eye on a Denon 4520CI. Just saying, expectedly, the 4520 should take care of many a gripe.

-
Cowboys's Avatar Cowboys 12:38 PM 12-13-2013
Quote:

To be honest I was blindly turning the gain on the amps since they are against the wAll. And just looking at the screen to get them to 75db. So I'm not sure where they are on the sub amp

Shhhhh I am content without upgrading for now....as Carlos can attest I have been on an upgrade rampage starting at EXACTLY one year ago...why I went from klipsch speakers to PSB and have been upgrading constantly since haha. But this system is incredible. I am content...
For now wink.gif
you might want to check to see if your subs gain is about the same otherwise, one sub might work harder.
neutro's Avatar neutro 12:48 PM 12-13-2013
Quote:

Currently, I've got my eye on a Denon 4520CI. Just saying, expectedly, the 4520 should take care of many a gripe.

Nah for me the 4520 wouldn't offer anything that I'd want over the X4000. My ideal receiver doesn't exist (yet). In fact, perhaps I should quit my job and build a receiver business instead of critiquing all the receivers I try rolleyes.gif
Quote:

you might want to check to see if your subs gain is about the same otherwise, one sub might work harder.

Well there are two ways of doing this: you can either gain-match the sub, or level-match the sub. With gain-matching, they're both working as hard but one may contribute more than the other to what you're hearing. With level-matching, they both contribute equally to what you're hearing but they may not work equally hard. Either way if you have a bit of headroom, which Brian probably has now, it's not that much of a big deal IMHO. SubEQ HT tries to level-match by the way.
cr136124's Avatar cr136124 03:06 PM 12-13-2013
Quote:

Nah for me the 4520 wouldn't offer anything that I'd want over the X4000. My ideal receiver doesn't exist (yet). In fact, perhaps I should quit my job and build a receiver business instead of critiquing all the receivers I try rolleyes.gif

Do it!

And, I'll be your tester.........wink.gif
TJames03's Avatar TJames03 08:26 PM 12-13-2013
New XV15 owner here!!

Have not had much time at all to play around with any settings yet. It's hooked up with some Ascend CBM 170s and 340s and a Denon avr x2000.

Quick question though - I'm a total newb to the world of home theatre and have been trying to read as much as I can do do things 'by the book'.

According to the manuals, I ran Audessey with gain and crossover @ 50% and the Phase all the way to LFE. After iniital Audessey setup my Denon had the XV15 at -5db.

My question is - is it somewhat common to adjust (increase) the subwoofer level (through the GUI, not on the sub itself) after Audessey setup? The sub seems to really blend well with the main speakers, but I'm looking for some more 'thud' when that building blows up in the movie, or the grenade takes out a jeep in BF4. smile.gif

Spekaers are all set to 'small' with crossover of 60hz.

Thanks in advance!!
Joshjp's Avatar Joshjp 08:42 PM 12-13-2013
Congrats on the XV-15 man, your correct so far, but i would try the xx-over at 80hz, and see how that goes.
Tags: Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
First ... 254  255  256 257  258  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop