post #7831 of 13891 Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealmaniac View Post

I am blessed then, as I retired in March at the ripe old age of 48!
I managed to last 6 months after I was eligible, then one day was just too much and pulled the plug.

So yes, the sooner you can retire....DO IT!!!

I'm jealous! If I could I would retire today! Alas, for now it's looking like it'll be at least 8 more years (I'll be 58 then).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 13891 Old 12-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

I was given a recommendation to see how to the SB13 and XS30 handle certain passages in a song by Mike Oldfield called “Shabda” from the Music of Spheres CD. I’m not entirely familiar with his music but I will say this much…that song hits pretty good with some deep electronic bass. Comfortable listening level for me is ~80-82dbs or about -20 MV the central LP is about 11.5’ away.

The song itself sounds real nice…I'd categorize it as easy listening... that is....until the 2:13 mark when that first synthesized bass note passage erupts…and again around the 3:28 mark... only louder and more pronounced. Peaks are right around 92dbs with each sub, when playing. The sb13u handled those notes gracefully with pinpoint control, allowing the listener to hear the depth of each passage with no lingering effects. The XS30 hit with equal amount of force but lacked some of the accuracy it seemed with some of those more difficult passages. I just want to give dsrussell a shout-out…as he mentioned this song in post 7620 & his overall review is why I used that particular song...hence my comments. Other songs, I’ve demoed which are bass intense and more familiar with… “Sail” from AWOLNATION and my personal favorite APC(A Perfect Circle)….”The Noose”…I marginally preferred the XS-30 with both…it played deeper & louder with more oomph and this is not taking anything away from the SB13u.

Hi Bill. It's good to hear you were able to get the XS30 to perform well on that Oldfield track. You must be having fun playing around with two subs from two different companies:). Yeah, it's a lot of work. Take care and enjoy. I know I really like the XS30 for movies.
Billy p likes this.
post #7833 of 13891 Old 12-29-2013, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I'm jealous! If I could I would retire today! Alas, for now it's looking like it'll be at least 8 more years (I'll be 58 then).

Somewhere around 45, I entered the "give a $hit phase." From there it became a bit of a grind. Save your pennies, fatten the 401(k), pay into savings, pay taxes (SS and Medicare)....., buy a house, "live long and prosper."

(and it doesn't hurt marrying a gal older than you cause she gets to retire first so we planned our retirement on her calender)

We met in 82 and were married in 86

...biggrin.gif

-
Saturn94 and audiofan1 like this.
post #7834 of 13891 Old 12-29-2013, 04:36 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

I was given a recommendation to see how to the SB13 and XS30 handle certain passages in a song by Mike Oldfield called “Shabda” from the Music of Spheres CD. I’m not entirely familiar with his music but I will say this much…that song hits pretty good with some deep electronic bass. Comfortable listening level for me is ~80-82dbs or about -20 MV the central LP is about 11.5’ away.

The song itself sounds real nice…I'd categorize it as easy listening... that is....until the 2:13 mark when that first synthesized bass note passage erupts…and again around the 3:28 mark... only louder and more pronounced. Peaks are right around 92dbs with each sub, when playing. The sb13u handled those notes gracefully with pinpoint control, allowing the listener to hear the depth of each passage with no lingering effects. The XS30 hit with equal amount of force but lacked some of the accuracy it seemed with some of those more difficult passages. I just want to give dsrussell a shout-out…as he mentioned this song in post 7620 & his overall review is why I used that particular song...hence my comments. Other songs, I’ve demoed which are bass intense and more familiar with… “Sail” from AWOLNATION and my personal favorite APC(A Perfect Circle)….”The Noose”…I marginally preferred the XS-30 with both…it played deeper & louder with more oomph and this is not taking anything away from the SB13u.

Truth be told…set up for just one song was a real PITA….I've set up 3 separate measurements saved with ARC. One has the Svs in the primary location…the second uses the XS30 there and the third has the svs/xs30 stacked with the two working in tandem. I listened to Shabda in all 3 scenario and each time I switch subs, I had to re-load the ARC setting for that particular sub. With them in tandem...I ran into some issues with them being stacked at the main LP ….that location suffered from some sort of phase cancelation and Tom pointed out a few ideas that got things all worked out. I did have to set the svs at 180 degrees phase angle and that helped perk up the SPL reading at the MLP.

So…yeah...I much prefer to work with one sub…lol. Having to deal with moving these subs all around trying to get them to play nice together was no easy feat. So, for now they’ll remain stacked and co-located in the same corner, while I continue to watch some movies. Selection today included Blackhawk Down & Oblivion …the other day I watched Ironman 3. I’ll endeavor to take some notes and revisit some of those more demanding chapters and try to see how each sub acquits itself.

added pics

Would enjoy reading your impressions of the PSA XS30 vs. SVS SB13 Ultra with key scenes from the movies you're watching. Still have not pulled the trigger on dual XS30s, however, getting closer and your feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
post #7835 of 13891 Old 12-29-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob from NJ View Post

Would enjoy reading your impressions of the PSA XS30 vs. SVS SB13 Ultra with key scenes from the movies you're watching. Still have not pulled the trigger on dual XS30s, however, getting closer and your feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
do it. It's amazing. I went from a svs pb12 to a big upgrade to xv15. Then to a bugger upgrade to the xs30. Then the biggest upgrade of all to a second xs30. It's amazing!!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7836 of 13891 Old 12-29-2013, 06:15 PM

Liked: 10
Well, finally got my pair of Arx A3rx-c L/R speakers and an Arx A2rx-c center channel to pair with my XV30 for a 3.1 setup (for now wink.gif) This setup sounds amazing. Once broken in (about 50 hours of listening) the Arx LCR speakers sound great. The definition and clarity are outstanding and I'm assuming the planar magnetic tweeter has a lot to do with this. I have them crossed at 80hz now so I can't speak for the low notes, but I did run them without any crossover (full band?), turned the XV30 off, hit them with some bass heavy music, and they did hold their own in the low end. Since this is the official PSA thread, I should move on to the XV30 portion of this write up...

Let me preface this by saying Tom at PSA was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I was considering other brands of subwoofers, but after the customer service I got from Tom, all the other brands fell off my radar. He truly seems to care about his customers and easily earned my business.

I originally had the XV30 placed in the right front corner (see pictures) and this seemed like a fine spot until I ran Audyssey. Before Audyssey, I had just been letting the sub boom away with the gain knob at about the 2:00 position. After Audyssey did it's thing, the bass was still strong at the corner of the couch, but at the MLP (where my girlfriend is sitting in pictures) I found the bass to be lacking. WOTW pod emergence scene and FOTP plane crash were absolutely glorious if you were sitting to the right of the MLP or in the corner of the couch, but at the MLP the bass was just "meh." Don't get me wrong, you could still hear and feel the bass at MLP, but not nearly as strong as a few feet to the right and in the corner of couch. Maybe its from the wall behind the corner of the couch reinforcing the bass? I'm nowhere near an expert on room acoustics, but that's my guess. Hopefully a more experienced user can clarify this for me.
After realizing I was most likely sitting in a null, my next course of action was to do the sub crawl, which is not that easy of a task with a 160lb subwoofer tongue.gif. After performing the sub crawl, I found that the right front corner where I had the sub was an OK spot, but not the best. Actually, it turned out that none of the few places I could actually put this behemoth were that great. That's when I decided to try it in a nearfield placement. I turned on the blu ray player and played some bass demo scenes and was really impressed with the bass I was hearing/feeling not only at MLP, but all throughout the different seating positions along the couch. I decided to re-run Audyssey and have it tame the sub a bit since it would be so close to MLP. Audyssey did a fantastic job and I couldn't be happier with my bass now. I can hear, and more significantly, feel a huge difference in bass since placing the sub nearfield. I intend to purchase another XV30 and place it in the right front corner where I originally had this subwoofer to help smooth things out a bit, but for now I have a bass-induced grin on my face.

Here are some pictures of my ongoing setup (please excuse crappy cell phone camera quality). I will be getting a longer subwoofer cable so that I can run it under the rug and get it out of sight. I'll also eventually move the power plug for the sub out of the middle of the walkway when I get another surge protector to plug into.
Aside: Yes, that is my girlfriend playing call of duty. I'm lucky, I know! biggrin.gif

post #7837 of 13891 Old 12-29-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDrugDealer View Post

Well, finally got my pair of Arx A3rx-c L/R speakers and an Arx A2rx-c center channel to pair with my XV30 for a 3.1 setup (for now wink.gif) This setup sounds amazing. Once broken in (about 50 hours of listening) the Arx LCR speakers sound great. The definition and clarity are outstanding and I'm assuming the planar magnetic tweeter has a lot to do with this. I have them crossed at 80hz now so I can't speak for the low notes, but I did run them without any crossover (full band?), turned the XV30 off, hit them with some bass heavy music, and they did hold their own in the low end. Since this is the official PSA thread, I should move on to the XV30 portion of this write up...

Let me preface this by saying Tom at PSA was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I was considering other brands of subwoofers, but after the customer service I got from Tom, all the other brands fell off my radar. He truly seems to care about his customers and easily earned my business.

I originally had the XV30 placed in the right front corner (see pictures) and this seemed like a fine spot until I ran Audyssey. Before Audyssey, I had just been letting the sub boom away with the gain knob at about the 2:00 position. After Audyssey did it's thing, the bass was still strong at the corner of the couch, but at the MLP (where my girlfriend is sitting in pictures) I found the bass to be lacking. WOTW pod emergence scene and FOTP plane crash were absolutely glorious if you were sitting to the right of the MLP or in the corner of the couch, but at the MLP the bass was just "meh." Don't get me wrong, you could still hear and feel the bass at MLP, but not nearly as strong as a few feet to the right and in the corner of couch. Maybe its from the wall behind the corner of the couch reinforcing the bass? I'm nowhere near an expert on room acoustics, but that's my guess. Hopefully a more experienced user can clarify this for me.
After realizing I was most likely sitting in a null, my next course of action was to do the sub crawl, which is not that easy of a task with a 160lb subwoofer tongue.gif. After performing the sub crawl, I found that the right front corner where I had the sub was an OK spot, but not the best. Actually, it turned out that none of the few places I could actually put this behemoth were that great. That's when I decided to try it in a nearfield placement. I turned on the blu ray player and played some bass demo scenes and was really impressed with the bass I was hearing/feeling not only at MLP, but all throughout the different seating positions along the couch. I decided to re-run Audyssey and have it tame the sub a bit since it would be so close to MLP. Audyssey did a fantastic job and I couldn't be happier with my bass now. I can hear, and more significantly, feel a huge difference in bass since placing the sub nearfield. I intend to purchase another XV30 and place it in the right front corner where I originally had this subwoofer to help smooth things out a bit, but for now I have a bass-induced grin on my face.

Here are some pictures of my ongoing setup (please excuse crappy cell phone camera quality). I will be getting a longer subwoofer cable so that I can run it under the rug and get it out of sight. I'll also eventually move the power plug for the sub out of the middle of the walkway when I get another surge protector to plug into.
Aside: Yes, that is my girlfriend playing call of duty. I'm lucky, I know! biggrin.gif

Congrats on your set up. It looks great. I too have the A3rx-c for the front, A2rx-c for the center, and I got lucky and bought a pair of previous model A3 for $400 dollars for surrounds. My PSA-XV15 will be here sometime next week. I can't wait.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7838 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 05:44 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Do
do it. It's amazing. I went from a svs pb12 to a big upgrade to xv15. Then to a bugger upgrade to the xs30. Then the biggest upgrade of all to a second xs30. It's amazing!!

I currently have a single SVS PC12 Plus. Did you start with an NSD or a Plus? Did you consider adding on additional SVS subs when you were making your decision that ultimately led you to moving to PSA?
post #7839 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

NSD.

And to answer your question. No. I returned the svs because the grill kept falling off. And it almost hit my 17 mo old son when playing finding nemo

It's terrible design was my main factor with going with the grill less xv15. I will never buy an svs product again. Also their CS has gone way downhill since the new ownership took over.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
post #7840 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NSD.

And to answer your question. No. I returned the svs because the grill kept falling off. And it almost hit my 17 mo old son when playing finding nemo

It's terrible design was my main factor with going with the grill less xv15. I will never buy an svs product again. Also their CS has gone way downhill since the new ownership took over.

How loud were you playing Findin Nemo eek.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7841 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

NSD.

It has???? I don't think that really is the case but did you have issues with them? I have had very good experiences with them.

-46" SAMSUNG-ENERGY RC-50'S-ENERGY RC-LCR-ENERGY RC-10'S-PSA XV15se-PIONEER ELITE SC-25-OPPO BDP 103D
post #7842 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

-20db. It was a flaw with the unit I had. They sent out two others to try to fix it and it still was happening. I'm thinking bad batch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post

It has???? I don't think that really is the case but did you have issues with them? I have had very good experiences with them.
If you were a customer when they first started (as I was) you would know how it used to be and how it is now. Also they used to pride themselves on made in America. They are now china built. I'm not saying their CS is terrible. It's just definitely gone down since they started. They were kind of snotty when dealing with my issue, instead of apologetic. Idk just rubbed me the wrong way I guess. I will NEVER steer anyone away from them in fact I recommend them if the situation is right, but they have permanently lost me as a customer. That's all

My first HT build thread
post #7843 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

-20db. It was a flaw with the unit I had. They sent out two others to try to fix it and it still was happening. I'm thinking bad batch
If you were a customer when they first started (as I was) you would know how it used to be and how it is now. Also they used to pride themselves on made in America. They are now china built. I'm not saying their CS is terrible. It's just definitely gone down since they started. They were kind of snotty when dealing with my issue, instead of apologetic. Idk just rubbed me the wrong way I guess. I will NEVER steer anyone away from them in fact I recommend them if the situation is right, but they have permanently lost me as a customer. That's all

Well that sucks. I spoke with SVS Customer Service twice since I was thinking of ordering one of their subs. They were polite, but not very detailed with their description about their subs. I kind of felt like I was talking to a Best Buy employee when asking about a products' information. It was a complete 360 degree difference when I spoke with Tom from PSA. So, I too went with PSA instead.

So, I kind of know what you are talking about. After speaking with both SVS employees, it gave me a bad feeling.
Brian Fineberg likes this.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7844 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:

That really sucks that you had an bad experience with them. I agree with you that it sucks they are made in China now but I really think PSA's subs are butt ugly eek.gif Unfortunately I have to take that into account because of the WAF rolleyes.gif

-46" SAMSUNG-ENERGY RC-50'S-ENERGY RC-LCR-ENERGY RC-10'S-PSA XV15se-PIONEER ELITE SC-25-OPPO BDP 103D
post #7845 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That really sucks that you had an bad experience with them. I agree with you that it sucks they are made in China now but I really think PSA's subs are butt ugly eek.gif Unfortunately I have to take that into account because of the WAF rolleyes.gif

Well, I am lucky that my wife doesn't really care about the looks of my speakers sub. I think the PSA look bland, just as well as my Arx speakers, but they sound awesome!biggrin.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7846 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

FAN BOY...

post #7847 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Aren't all box subs the same? They are just that a box. Psa (just as the other companies)come in nice finishes if that's what you need

My first HT build thread
post #7848 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

NSD.

SVS has great cs as good as anyone, I'm debating between a new sub from SVS, PSA or Rythmik and unsure what one I'll end up with, but I currently have a SVS sub and they've been great, not many companies offer what they offer, one year upgrade is pretty awesome.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
-$8500ish : (
post #7849 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post

SVS has great cs as good as anyone, I'm debating between a new sub from SVS, PSA or Rythmik and unsure what one I'll end up with, but I currently have a SVS sub and they've been great, not many companies offer what they offer, one year upgrade is pretty awesome.

Agree to disagree. I would NOT say they are as good as psa. Not even close

My first HT build thread
post #7850 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexion 8 View Post

FAN BOY...
Settle down there tough guy rolleyes.gif
Quote:

Aren't all box subs the same? They are just that a box. Psa (just as the other companies)come in nice finishes if that's what you need
Your right.....There is ugly boxes and then there are pretty boxes tongue.gif I am just saying my theater is in the family room and my wifey doesn't like ugly (well wait...she married me biggrin.gif). If I had a dedicated theater I would have given PSA a hard look.

post #7851 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post

SVS Bill of rights is unbeatable!!

post #7852 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Poor taste to hijack a PSA or any other brands's thread with a plug for your favorite.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #7853 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Besides 1 year upgrade has zero to do with customer service.

My first HT build thread
post #7854 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

.....with your 17 month old's ear up against your 800W sub?

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #7855 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

.....with your 17 month old's ear up against your 800W sub?
First off it was minus 20. Which is not loud at all. Second he was walking through the room and the grill fell off almost hitting him.

Poor design anyway you slice it.

My first HT build thread
post #7856 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 12:53 PM

Liked: 801
Aren't they held on with magnets?
post #7857 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am about to pull the trigger on a new sub and at first thought the same thing about the psa's looks. Their "upgraded" finishes seem to have sharp edges which i dont like. But their base finish seems to have rounded corners and looks very similar to svs imo.

PSA XV15 has alot more output 30-80 Hz vs the pbs12-nsd but im not sure i will ever use that extra output. Should know by tommorrow as that is when i suspect svs's sale may be ending.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #7858 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

N
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

no small pins. Which are not easy to get into the holes without bending the grill

My first HT build thread
post #7859 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Agree to disagree. I would NOT say they are as good as psa. Not even close

If you don't mind saying but what happened with you and SVS? They've been great with me, I've emailed PSA and Tom has been awesome too and psa is high on my list.

Edit: N/M seen your post why

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
-$8500ish : (
post #7860 of 13891 Old 12-30-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

No they press in and a few have had this problem. SVS replaces the sub from what i can see for those that this happened to. I personally think the grille looks bad ass and unique. Damn trying to decide which sub to buy is hard.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page