Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 388 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22509Likes

Old 05-24-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Thanks to Dave and Tom, I am an official XV15se owner. The sub arrived Friday afternoon, and did a quick install. This morning was my first chance to light up. I chose the War of the Worlds Pod Emergence scene, WOW! Dave is right, night and day difference. I still have my two polk 505's running, but now I can hear what I have been missing for so long. The 505's are pretty good, but nothing like the VX15se! I think after some time, I will sell the 505's and get another XV15se. Thanks for all who contribute. Now to find WWZ and the grenade scene, as well as
a few other movies that I will want to demo. Happy Memorial Day everyone!
Russ
ahblaza and climber07 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked: 2513

Congrats on the new sub.  I think you should sell the 505's after some time too.  How about next week?  :D

Old 05-24-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Being it's Memorial Day weekend i thought id throw this one out.

due June 3 ...

reviewed
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532523/lone-survivor-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review

Now to keep up with the PSA sub theme iv'e decided to take up the advice of Bass, Bear, Tom and the rest and add two XS15se to my XS30.... I think split up the wife will enjoy the hight difference. XS15se / XS30 COUCH XS15se / XS30 lol.... she gonna kill me eek.gif

Mike Butny and basshead81 like this.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

Old 05-24-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post

Thanks to Dave and Tom, I am an official XV15se owner. The sub arrived Friday afternoon, and did a quick install. This morning was my first chance to light up. I chose the War of the Worlds Pod Emergence scene, WOW! Dave is right, night and day difference. I still have my two polk 505's running, but now I can hear what I have been missing for so long. The 505's are pretty good, but nothing like the VX15se! I think after some time, I will sell the 505's and get another XV15se. Thanks for all who contribute. Now to find WWZ and the grenade scene, as well as
Russ

Congrats...I went from dual 505's -> dual XV15's -> triple XV15's -> triple XV15se. I agree the 505's are not even close!

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 05-24-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

Being it's Memorial Day weekend i thought id throw this one out.

due June 3 ...

reviewed
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532523/lone-survivor-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review

Now to keep up with the PSA sub theme iv'e decided to take up the advice of Bass, Bear, Tom and the rest and add two XS15se to my XS30.... I think split up the wife will enjoy the hight difference. XS15se / XS30 COUCH XS15se / XS30 lol.... she gonna kill me eek.gif

Oh that is going to make a killer setup! 3-15's on each side of the couch = sick nasty!!

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 05-24-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Thanks Bear ,Bass, and Climber! I will eventually sell them or give them to my son, who will move out next year, And the add the second PSA VX15se....or maybe a XS30...I just can't get over how much
I have been missing all these years:eek:
climber07 likes this.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3514
Welcome to tha family!!
Old 05-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:

I just can't get over how much I have been missing all these years:eek:

it's one of those things where someone can tell you how awesome a difference it makes, but until you actually experience it, you won't understand.  i had a very capable pb10 prior to my dual xv's, and don't get me wrong, the pb10 is a fantastic sub for what it is and it's price point....but the xv's are just on another level.  my buddy has the pb12 and his jaw hit the floor when he heard mine.  he questioned me when i put in war of the worlds (he had never seen the new version)...i just said "trust me."  after the lightning, pods, and the following laser beams wreaking havoc, i looked over and he had a shocked look and a childish smile on his face.  he was amazed to say the least.  welcome to the PSA family.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Just watched the movie "9" with the Triple XV15se's....talk about bone crushing bass. Tight, Clean, and Powerful!! I think these babies are finally breaking in. smile.gif

I've heard that was a goo film as well. What did you think?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- Ben Franklin
Old 05-24-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Russ

The 505s are going to have a dramatically different FR. This means the phase shift <50hz is going to be increasing different. In other words, having the 505s running may be doing as much(or more) harm than good.

I know the first thought is to go for all the bassy demos but take the time to pop in your favorite concert discs/ music discs too.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- Ben Franklin
Old 05-24-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1102g View Post

Yes I have talked to Tom about my 2 burned out amps as well. Looking forward to having them back up and running.

Yeah, we're spending the whole weekend trying to duplicate the exact failure cause/effect with a large number of amplifiers tested simultaneously. So far, 100%. Which isn't necessarily the result we were looking for. Once we have the amps back it will make things a little easier.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

I've heard that was a goo film as well. What did you think?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Pretty good! Worth buying...I will be watching it again!

Old 05-24-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Getting ready to fire up "The Hobbit; The Desolation of Smaug".  I have heard is is not the greatest LFE flick, but gonna see what the dual XV15se's can muster up.

Regarding "9", I thought it was a good flick, and some very good LFE.  I especially enjoyed that there were some nice LFE moments during quieter scenes, and not only during the really loud dynamic stuff.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
Hey Bass, should I just get the third 15SE and try it near field or just get the other two and be done with it. Also what's your take on wireless transmitters and receivers for subs. For example having the front two hard wired and the rear two wireless. The more I think about wireless the less I really want it, so I don't know why I asked.....tongue.gif Two 35' sub cables from BJC is what I'm thinking, shipping is free, I don't know when they started that, I guess since it's $100+ for two cables. Does it matter that the two front subs will have 12' lengths and the two rears 35' ? I have to buy two Y splitters now also as I have two sub preouts on my receiver. Have you noticed lately how many subs SVS has in their outlet center, not putting them down but I never saw so many B-stock units on their site.
On a lighter note how much would you charge to come to my home with all your DSP measuring equipment and setup my four subs:). I have a Laptop that's collecting dust, I don't know why I'm so intimidated with REW and measuring and using Audyssey XT. eek.gif
Cheers Jeff
Old 05-24-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Hey Jeffery...

Go to the drop down menu under your AVS user name and click on my profile tag. Scroll on down and enter your gear in the signature section...you can upload pictures from your computer in the photo section and apply your desired sig-pic in the avatar section.

Use the edit for any future or pending changes...smile.gif

Thanks Billy my friend, simple just like me. You should take Ray up on his offer to have your new SE drivers shipped to his home, he lives about a half an hour from me, he's south and I'm north of the airport (10 miles). I got the pleasure of meeting him and he's a really nice guy and a Triax lunatic. I got to see first hand how well built the Triax's are and see the drivers construction and how heavy they are, amazing. If I recall you will be here in Pitts. around the 4th of July with your son and his baseball tournaments? I'm going to find out Wednesday the 28th when my next hip replacement surgery will be and I will let you know, maybe we can all hook up for a day. We talked about this before as I remember correctly, I'd like to hear his JTRs and four Triaxs if he doesn't mind and would really like to meet you and your son as well my friend. Talk again soon. Happy Holiday to you and yours. smile.gif
Your Friend, Jeffrey
Billy p likes this.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, we're spending the whole weekend trying to duplicate the exact failure cause/effect with a large number of amplifiers tested simultaneously. So far, 100%. Which isn't necessarily the result we were looking for. Once we have the amps back it will make things a little easier.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom, I guess my amps are fairing well, you have more hours on them already than I had with mine. Are there many other fuses on the inside of the plate amp besides the one that's accessible from the back, or is that just a spare fuse below the power port, I don't know, looks like it's not connected to anything or I'm just out of my mind, which is very possible...........smile.gif
Cheers, Jeffrey
Old 05-24-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Hey Bass, should I just get the third 15SE and try it near field or just get the other two and be done with it. Also what's your take on wireless transmitters and receivers for subs. For example having the front two hard wired and the rear two wireless. The more I think about wireless the less I really want it, so I don't know why I asked.....tongue.gif Two 35' sub cables from BJC is what I'm thinking, shipping is free, I don't know when they started that, I guess since it's $100+ for two cables. Does it matter that the two front subs will have 12' lengths and the two rears 35' ? I have to buy two Y splitters now also as I have two sub preouts on my receiver. Have you noticed lately how many subs SVS has in their outlet center, not putting them down but I never saw so many B-stock units on their site.
On a lighter note how much would you charge to come to my home with all your DSP measuring equipment and setup my four subs:). I have a Laptop that's collecting dust, I don't know why I'm so intimidated with REW and measuring and using Audyssey XT. eek.gif
Cheers Jeff

I have been using wireless on my subs for over a year now...they work great. Although I am not sure about running wired and wireless unless you have a way to adjust the delay via distance setting for each sub. The mini dsp could be a good solution for this. However I would probably just run all wired or all wireless and save some headache.

If I had the room for 4 subs I would go that route. smile.gif

I would help ya set up your subs, just buy my plane ticket. tongue.gif

Seriously tho it is not that hard at all...just fire it up and PM me with any questions you have. smile.gif

Old 05-24-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I have been using wireless on my subs for over a year now...they work great. Although I am not sure about running wired and wireless unless you have a way to adjust the delay via distance setting for each sub. The mini dsp could be a good solution for this. However I would probably just run all wired or all wireless and save some headache.

If I had the room for 4 subs I would go that route. smile.gif

I would help ya set up your subs, just buy my plane ticket. tongue.gif

Seriously tho it is not that hard at all...just fire it up and PM me with any questions you have. smile.gif

Thank you Bass seriously, OK besides downloading REW on my laptop and buying a mic from Cross Spectrum and cables, is that all I would need to get started? TIA, how far away are you?biggrin.gif
Cheers Jeff,
Old 05-24-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
Quote:

Thanks Billy my friend, simple just like me. You should take Ray up on his offer to have your new SE drivers shipped to his home, he lives about a half an hour from me, he's south and I'm north of the airport (10 miles). I got the pleasure of meeting him and he's a really nice guy and a Triax lunatic. I got to see first hand how well built the Triax's are and see the drivers construction and how heavy they are, amazing. If I recall you will be here in Pitts. around the 4th of July with your son and his baseball tournaments? I'm going to find out Wednesday the 28th when my next hip replacement surgery will be and I will let you know, maybe we can all hook up for a day. We talked about this before as I remember correctly, I'd like to hear his JTRs and four Triaxs if he doesn't mind and would really like to meet you and your son as well my friend. Talk again soon. Happy Holiday to you and yours. smile.gif
Your Friend, Jeffrey
Were all messed up. I am having knee replacement revised next week. I have been freaked out all week. Looks like I will be watching a few movies for a few months.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Were all messed up. I am having knee replacement revised next week. I have been freaked out all week. Looks like I will be watching a few movies for a few months.

My friend had both knees done at the same time, he was up and about in no time, best thing he ever did. I had a left total hip replacement done April 8th and I was off the walker in nine days, and that's with a totally destroyed other right hip, the Doc said it was one of the worst hips he has done in a long time, I had the anterior approach method done where they go in from the front of the hip, less invasive and recovery time is cut in half. Knees are a little more complicated I believe, I was a perfect candidate as I am thin and a young 62 wink.gif
Old 05-24-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Thank you Bass seriously, OK besides downloading REW on my laptop and buying a mic from Cross Spectrum and cables, is that all I would need to get started? TIA, how far away are you?biggrin.gif
Cheers Jeff,

I am in North East Indiana (Ft. Wayne). Yep what you have listed is all you need. Does your laptop have hdmi out? Also if you do not mind spending a few extra dollars, the dayton omni-mic is a nice setup. I believe it is a bit more user friendly for those just getting started.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-omnimic-v2-precision-measurement-system--390-792

Old 05-24-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
Quote:

My friend had both knees done at the same time, he was up and about in no time, best thing he ever did. I had a left total hip replacement done April 8th and I was off the walker in nine days, and that's with a totally destroyed other right hip, the Doc said it was one of the worst hips he has done in a long time, I had the anterior approach method done where they go in from the front of the hip, less invasive and recovery time is cut in half. Knees are a little more complicated I believe, I was a perfect candidate as I am thin and a young 62 wink.gif
You got me by 20! I had mine replaced 7 years ago and they are going back in. Not looking forward to it!
ahblaza likes this.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 662
wink.gif
Quote:

Your Friend, Jeffrey

Yes...sir...I have not forgotten....our conversation. We'll be in and around Pitt from July 2-4.....but I know the 4th is a big day for you all and why we'll be heading out that morning and making the trek back home. I have not forgotten the generous offer Ray has given me. I might take him up on it but I would also like to meet Tom, Jim or both while I am close-by. I don't know if I could do both...giving our timeline for our trip...it will be tough.

I'll be contacting Tom around the middle part of June and I'll start my planning from there....even... if i decide to go out to the shop & see the facility in Mineral Ridge Oh...I'd love to catch up with you and/or Ray...upon my return that afternoon...while my missus is out and about spending our money from our dwindling money tree...tongue.gif.

I will also contact you around that time and I'll let Ray know as well what the plans are? If anything changes on your health matters just let me know via PM...and I hope we can all hook-up even if its over a nice cold or hot beverage...wink.gif

All the best and good luck to you Jeffery...

Bill....smile.gif
ahblaza likes this.

Ascend Acoustics Towers: STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo BDP-103D,
Apple TV+ Giga 1800

Sub FA 18: (Santos RW)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
Old 05-25-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hey Bass, should I just get the third 15SE and try it near field or just get the other two and be done with it.   ..tongue.gif Two 35' sub cables from BJC is what I'm thinking, shipping is free, I don't know when they started that, I guess since it's $100+ for two cables. Does it matter that the two front subs will have 12' lengths and the two rears 35' ? I have to buy two Y splitters now also as I have two sub preouts on my receiver. Have you noticed lately how many subs SVS has in their outlet center, not putting them down but I never saw so many B-stock units on their site.
Cheers Jeff

For me it would depend on the layout of the room and what kind of placement options you have.  I personally think the money for the BJC's are worth it.  I got a 3' to go to the miniDSP, then a 15' to one sub and a 25 or 30' to the 2nd.  All three of mine were under $100, but there is a big difference in quality from the monoprice premium cables, much more flexible, better connection, and both of my monoprice cables were poorly made.  Once you hooked them up you had to be really careful not to touch or move them or they would....well, not sure what exactly they were doing but would cause a very loud "boomp" like they were shorting or something.

How do the duals sound to you, especially coming from a Triax?

If I didn't work so dang much I would not be against swinging by to help with REW but my 70 hour work weeks make free time difficult.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Tom, I guess my amps are fairing well, you have more hours on them already than I had with mine. Are there many other fuses on the inside of the plate amp besides the one that's accessible from the back, or is that just a spare fuse below the power port, I don't know, looks like it's not connected to anything or I'm just out of my mind, which is very possible...........smile.gif
Cheers, Jeffrey

Nothing user serviceable on the back side of the Power-X amps.

The only user serviceable fuse is directly under the AC input on the front panel.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:

Yes I have talked to Tom about my 2 burned out amps as well. Looking forward to having them back up and running.

Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

J1102g was probably playing some Brittany Spears, Selena Gomez, or Katy Perry and the amps just died from embarrassment. biggrin.gif

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
Old 05-25-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hardly not my type of music. Actually when I did play music it was FLAC: 2pac, eminem, Rick Ross, Dr Dre, Eagles, Korn, Matalica, Pink Floyd, Asap rocky, And Tech n9ne. Okay now que the "your music is crap". You know all walks of life are interested in hometheater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

J1102g was probably playing some Brittany Spears, Selena Gomez, or Katy Perry and the amps just died from embarrassment. biggrin.gif

Onkyo tx nr3010 Polk rti12's fronts Polk CSI A6 center Polk RTI6 front hights 4 Polk FXIA6 surrounds, and surround backs 3 power sound audio xv15se Subwoofers Oppo bd103,Mitsubishi WD-65638 65-Inch,Panasonic 50" TC-P50ST60,
VIZIO 47” E470i-A0, PS4, XBOX ONE, PS4, WII
Old 05-25-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:

Hardly not my type of music. Actually when I did play music it was FLAC: 2pac, eminem, Rick Ross, Dr Dre, Eagles, Korn, Matalica, Pink Floyd, Asap rocky, And Tech n9ne. Okay now que the "your music is crap". You know all walks of life are interested in hometheater.

It was just a tongue and cheek joke. No one is judging you, or anyone else for their music tastes. wink.gif
ahblaza likes this.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 BD ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon AVR-X3200W ~ SVS Prime Bookshelf L/R ~ SVS Prime Satellite Surrounds ~ MultEQ XT L/R Bypass ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
Old 05-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As was my reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

It was just a tongue and cheek joke. No one is judging you, or anyone else for their music tastes. wink.gif

Onkyo tx nr3010 Polk rti12's fronts Polk CSI A6 center Polk RTI6 front hights 4 Polk FXIA6 surrounds, and surround backs 3 power sound audio xv15se Subwoofers Oppo bd103,Mitsubishi WD-65638 65-Inch,Panasonic 50" TC-P50ST60,
VIZIO 47” E470i-A0, PS4, XBOX ONE, PS4, WII
Old 05-25-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Today must be sensitive Sunday!!!!!!

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & XS30SE subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15