post #12301 of 15185 Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
I'm hoping the XV15se will be a massive improvement over the SW-8 .
White truck: SW-8
Dumptruck: XV15se

Any questions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dumptruck.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	121698  
Brajesh and lizrussspike like this.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12302 of 15185 Old 06-16-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
XV30se data is up!!! What a Best...Ricci says it in company with the most powerful commercial subs tested to date.

do you have a link I cant find it...

thanks
post #12303 of 15185 Old 06-16-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
White truck: SW-8
Dumptruck: XV15se

Any questions?
LOL, you've got me pumped up!

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #12304 of 15185 Old 06-16-2014, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
^I would love to read thst exerpt, but could you break it down into paragraphs please?
oh, come on man! whyyougottabelikethat?? lol

here's the cliff notes ---------> xv15se > xv15
post #12305 of 15185 Old 06-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Well now, like I said before, the XV30FSE is the only sub that has not been in my home. Now I hear it is among the most powerful commercial subs tested. I have 3 XV15SEs here now with only two of them fired up in my system, I just unboxed the 3rd a few days ago and left the amp powered up for a few days and all is well with it. Just talked with Jim and he is going to burn in my 4th sub for another day or so and I should have it in about three days. So that will be four XV15SEs and I'm having ill feelings as my original intention was to go with two or three XV30FSEs. Am I just acting like a fool for feeling like I should have went with my original plan of the XV30FSEs, someone help me out here and tell me how foolish I really am. I will have all four XV15SEs spread out evenly in my 3000cf LR. If set up properly will I be extremely content? Thanks, hey Cable Guy, here is the BJC link.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/index.htm
Cheers Jeffrey

j_nordi
post #12306 of 15185 Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
Just wanted to give a real quick update on my xv15se upgrade. I had dual xv15's bought a few weeks apart, but with the upgrade deal one of them qualified for the cheaper $100 deal. Because of this, as well as some of the early reports stating that they felt the low end was weaker I decided to do only one first and be able to compare the new and the old side by side. Keep in mind, this is the most unofficial, unscientific review you are likely to find, but i believe what i hear and feel rather than what some graph says. Anyway, got the first upgrade in friday after work. a few screws later and out with the old and in with the new! btw, i don't recommend a hand held screw driver for this....i couldn't grab my drill fast enough, lol. anyway, i was excited to hear what i bought, so i first tested the old xv15 by throwing in war of the worlds with the lightning scene, pod emerge, then the death rays that followed. i feel this group of scenes has about everything to test a sub. keep in mind, i had been running duals of the old which were fantastic for my situation, so listening to the single again in the original nearfield corner was good, but i remembered what those scenes sounded and felt like before. good output, but underwhelming compared to duals (obviously). I listened to those scenes at -15, which is pretty strong with most material. i could listen louder, but i feel i may start shaking stuff off my neighbor's shelves. anyway, with the OG xv, it was pretty much what i expected and still good by all comparisons. so, i pause the movie and swap out subs. i adjusted the settings on the amp to the exact levels on the old sub and placed it in the exact same spot(dents in carpet, lol). still set at -15, I rewound the blu to the beginning of the lightning scene. to say i was blown away is an understatement! I literally had to go over and double check to make sure i didn't accidentally plug in the second sub and was running duals. nope, this thing is just that strong. i couldn't believe what i was hearing and feeling. so powerful, tight, and most of all the thing rumbles the room. whoever said the bottom end fell off with the SE needs to quit trying to graph response charts and just plug one in! the low end tactile is what i was afraid i would be missing, and let me fill you in to the real deal...the SE is absolutely, without a doubt stronger and more powerful in every aspect. to say that tom is underplaying the difference in this driver and amp combo is an understatement of its own. movies or music, it's just better. somebody said it was night and day, and i absolutely concur on that matter. the SE is well worth the cost of the upgrade, and even at the higher price i will definitely do the same with the second. i told tom that had my first xv15 sounded and felt like this SE, i probably wouldn't have ordered a second....well, at least not as soon as i did. PSA have a work of art on their hands with the SE driver, and those that want to point to graphs and talk about how it's not worth the upgrade dollars are just fooling themselves and really missing out. if you are on the fence, do yourself a favor and at least upgrade one, and see for yourself what i experienced. AWESOME job Tom and crew!!
Just wait until you get about 7-10 days on it, it gets better!!!!!

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.1-set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaces by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA XS30se sub, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #12307 of 15185 Old 06-16-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Well now, like I said before, the XV30FSE is the only sub that has not been in my home. Now I hear it is among the most powerful commercial subs tested. I have 3 XV15SEs here now with only two of them fired up in my system, I just unboxed the 3rd a few days ago and left the amp powered up for a few days and all is well with it. Just talked with Jim and he is going to burn in my 4th sub for another day or so and I should have it in about three days. So that will be four XV15SEs and I'm having ill feelings as my original intention was to go with two or three XV30FSEs. Am I just acting like a fool for feeling like I should have went with my original plan of the XV30FSEs, someone help me out here and tell me how foolish I really am. I will have all four XV15SEs spread out evenly in my 3000cf LR. If set up properly will I be extremely content? Thanks, hey Cable Guy, here is the BJC link.
Cheers Jeffrey
Why have Ill feelings? enjoy your subs jeffery...there is always that " what if" when you log on this forum.
post #12308 of 15185 Old 06-16-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Why have Ill feelings? enjoy your subs jeffery...there is always that " what if" when you log on this forum.
Couldn't agree more with that statement, this place will drive a guy crazy. Even I have the "what if" and I have an insane amount of output & headroom with my new setup!.....lol

I have this voice in the back of my head saying "what if I put two more subs in the back of my room to really smoth things out to a perfectly flat response".... Lol

Which is really crazy
ahblaza likes this.
post #12309 of 15185 Old 06-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Cheers Jeffrey
What made you deviate from your original plan? Once you get 4 XV15se set up and if your not happy you can always send 2 back for 2 XV30se, set the 2 30's up front and leave the 2 15's in the back, I really doubt you need 4 30's.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.1-set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaces by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA XS30se sub, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #12310 of 15185 Old 06-16-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Couldn't agree more with that statement, this place will drive a guy crazy. Even I have the "what if" and I have an insane amount of output & headroom with my new setup!.....lol

I have this voice in the back of my head saying "what if I put two more subs in the back of my room to really smoth things out to a perfectly flat response".... Lol

Which is really crazy
Lol that is insane...hey did you get any new measurements up yet?
post #12311 of 15185 Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Am I just acting like a fool for feeling like I should have went with my original plan of the XV30FSEs, someone help me out here and tell me how foolish I really am.
Well, my take on it would be like this: If you upgrade all four XV15se's to XV30se's for an additional $2400, you will add 3 dB of maximum headroom. Does that sound like a good value to you? Going from four XV15's to three XV30's would only have cost $1,800 more, but would be a 2ish dB increase?

What do you think?
ahblaza likes this.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #12312 of 15185 Old 06-16-2014, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lol that is insane...hey did you get any new measurements up yet?
No, I spent most of the time hanging with the family. I coach my sons baseball team so that kept me really busy this weekend too. I'm hoping to get some free time this coming Sunday.
post #12313 of 15185 Old 06-16-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea I know the feeling...I have been wanting to pull the gear out and do some testing as well but have not had the time.
post #12314 of 15185 Old 06-17-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Cheers Jeffrey

thanks for the link ..

is it possible to have too much sub woofer output in your room Jeffrey? looks like you didn't deviate from your plan too far.. just need number 5 and 6 .. I read some stuff on another site
someone had 8....
ahblaza likes this.
post #12315 of 15185 Old 06-17-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yea I know the feeling...I have been wanting to pull the gear out and do some testing as well but have not had the time.
Oh not too mention that I have a list of things that I still need to do before the GTG that I'm hosting in four weeks....
post #12316 of 15185 Old 06-17-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post
thanks for the link ..

is it possible to have too much sub woofer output in your room Jeffrey? looks like you didn't deviate from your plan too far.. just need number 5 and 6 .. I read some stuff on another site
someone had 8....

LOL! Now THAT'S funny!
ahblaza likes this.
post #12317 of 15185 Old 06-17-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Cheers Jeffrey
The overall sound quality between the XV15se and the XV30Fse will be very similar. The main performance difference is the extra output of the XV30Fse which isn't dramatic...something like 2.5 to 3.5dB over most of the operating bandwidth. Whether you have four XV15se or three(or two?) XV30se in the room I'm guessing headroom won't be an issue. And in most cases four subs will provide more of a smoothing effect than 2 or 3 subs. So just based on performance, the four XV15se would seem to be equal if not slightly above any XV30Fse option you might have considered?

Don't drive yourself crazy. Kick back and enjoy a new DVD..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza and cableguy301 like this.
post #12318 of 15185 Old 06-17-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Well, my take on it would be like this: If you upgrade all four XV15se's to XV30se's for an additional $2400, you will add 3 dB of maximum headroom. Does that sound like a good value to you? Going from four XV15's to three XV30's would only have cost $1,800 more, but would be a 2ish dB increase?

What do you think?
4 versus 4, yeah about 2.5 to 3.5.

4 versus 3, about 1dB or so.

I'm not sure if the extra headroom would be beneficial in either scenario. You would have to pushing the limits of quad XV15se which would be difficult in a 3000 cu-ft room.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza and cableguy301 like this.
post #12319 of 15185 Old 06-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
The overall sound quality between the XV15se and the XV30Fse will be very similar. The main performance difference is the extra output of the XV30Fse which isn't dramatic...something like 2.5 to 3.5dB over most of the operating bandwidth. Whether you have four XV15se or three(or two?) XV30se in the room I'm guessing headroom won't be an issue. And in most cases four subs will provide more of a smoothing effect than 2 or 3 subs. So just based on performance, the four XV15se would seem to be equal if not slightly above any XV30Fse option you might have considered?

Don't drive yourself crazy. Kick back and enjoy a new DVD..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Thanks Tom, Bass, Mike and Bear for the reality check, sometimes I just lose my mind and start thinking, my first mistake. Tom wait till I have all four XV15SEs dialed in with PSA's new speakers..................

j_nordi
post #12320 of 15185 Old 06-17-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

@ Ahblaza, I think you have/will have a pretty ideal setup. Some reading I have done indicates that four subwoofers is about as good as it gets for the smoothest frequency response you can get throughout an entire room. And you should have above reference level output capability down to 15-16 Hz. Not bad for what you have in it.
ahblaza likes this.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #12321 of 15185 Old 06-17-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Take about 3dB off across the board and that's what he'll measure the XV15se at...+/- 0.5dB for the most part.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Why 3dB? If you double the drivers and co-locate them, don't you get 6dB more output?
post #12322 of 15185 Old 06-17-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post
Why 3dB? If you double the drivers and co-locate them, don't you get 6dB more output?
double the displacement is 3db. Double the displacement and power is 6db.
post #12323 of 15185 Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 PM

can anyone tell me do the down firing subs move around on the floor much.. dose it matter what the floor is made of .. eg concrete or framed wood.. etc

one other crzy question how does one place or position the xs 30 se sub into a corner ?

thanks
post #12324 of 15185 Old 06-17-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
can anyone tell me do the down firing subs move around on the floor much.. dose it matter what the floor is made of .. eg concrete or framed wood.. etc

one other crzy question how does one place or position the xs 30 se sub into a corner ?

thanks
My XV15's have yet to move at output levels north of 125db. Bass waves are omni-directional, so driver orientation does not make much difference. However a downfiring sub can help mask upper harmonics from higher crossover settings since frequencies above 100hz start to become directional.
post #12325 of 15185 Old 06-18-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:

thanks
When I had the xv15 I never had any movement of the sub...

you can place the xs30 any way you want in a corner...I have mine with the drivers facing the side wall and the console.

but technically my sub is setup sideways...the subs are "supposed" to be front and rear firing, but it doesn't matter one bit
Billy p, ahblaza and cableguy301 like this.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

PSB Imagine B for sale:http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post987985
post #12326 of 15185 Old 06-18-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Dual XS30's

Now that my dual XS30's are set up properly in my 12.5' x 17.5' x 8' dedicated HT (with lots of conversations with Tom V), all as I can say is WOW!!! Too bad these are not SE's, however the performance for music listening and BD movies and Concerts is incredible.

Thanks again PSA Team for designing/mfg such affordable products with this type of performance!
post #12327 of 15185 Old 06-18-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks
PSA provided me with cheap little foam tabs to put under the hard rubber feet for my XV15's as I am on hardwood. I have not noticed my subs moving, but they are definitely not inert like the dual opposed XS30....you can't even tell those things are playing when you touch them.....at least by feeling the cab.
ahblaza likes this.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #12328 of 15185 Old 06-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
PSA provided me with cheap little foam tabs to put under the hard rubber feet for my XV15's as I am on hardwood. I have not noticed my subs moving, but they are definitely not inert like the dual opposed XS30....you can't even tell those things are playing when you touch them.....at least by feeling the cab.
Bear, wouldn't the rubber feet under the XV15SEs keep them in place on a hard floor, I may have to place one of my four on a tile floor over concrete section of my room, that's why I ask about the rubber feet, I was told that the plastic pads are for use on hard surfaces, my other subs on carpet haven't walked a fraction of a inch. I'm going to post some pics of my room and ask for suggestions of where to place the rear two XV15SEs. TIA
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #12329 of 15185 Old 06-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

The first is a photo from behind the MLP, the others were taken from the front of the MLP and those are my rear placement options. I was thinking of stacking two of them against the back wall where that Rack is sitting, that would place them about the same distance of my front two to the MLP, or I could put them to the far R&L where the dehumidifier is on the right and the night stand on the left with the ports firing towards the rear wall about 7' from it and about7-8 feet to the MLP. Other option, move the big chair on the left and place them on either side of that putting them about 4-5' from rear wall. What do you guys think, I'm really leaning towards stacking them against back wall, this way they will be almost the same distance with the front two to the MLP. I would really appreciate all input, thanks Guys.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi

Last edited by ahblaza; 10-11-2014 at 06:24 PM.
post #12330 of 15185 Old 06-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Disregard the clutter, I'm going to change the front of the room and tidy up all the wires and do something with the ET stand. I'm making new stands as well for the new PSA speakers I'm still waiting on the fourth XV15SE to get here.

j_nordi
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page