Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 417 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12481 of 14003 Old 06-26-2014, 05:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Amps got here earlier this afternoon. We were able to get a good number out on fedex today. The rest are being built now and will ship tomorrow morning. Anyone who ordered on 6-18 or later will ship tomorrow morning. 6-17 or earlier, you should have tracking info..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Yes! Now to distract myself from obsessively checking my email....
FattyMcButterPants is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12482 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Yes! Now to distract myself from obsessively checking my email....
Most/all back orders are fulfilled with tracking information sent. If anyone is still waiting please check your spam folder and let me know if we might have missed anyone.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom Vodhanel is online now  
post #12483 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Member
 
Magibeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Most/all back orders are fulfilled with tracking information sent. If anyone is still waiting please check your spam folder and let me know if we might have missed anyone.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
I got mine! Now to refresh the tracking page every 10 minutes for the next several days until it arrives.
Magibeg is offline  
post #12484 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Billy p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Markham,Ont
Posts: 1,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Pictures of the XS30...less the drive units. Very well built and braced from what I can tell. Everything wrapped & boxed up....ready for their journey back to PSA. I took some pictures of the drivers...I must say not to shabby and they had some weight to them...much more imposing than web pictures would suggest. I can't wait to install the new drive units...I have strong suspicion that once completed I'll have exactly what I was looking for in a dual purpose sub. Although I view a lot of movies, I do go through phases of only listening to music... during which I felt something... however small, was lacking or missing.

This should be my last upgrade for a while. I will plan another baseball trip next summer that will include Cleveland because I want to visit the R&R hall of fame and likely go to Jacobs Field to catch a Indians game. I might swing by PSA on the way home and p/up a second XS30 next time around...








Heading to Boston on Sunday for the Red Sox vs. Cubs game Monday evening. Moving onto Baltimore for the Orioles vs. Rangers on Tuesday and lastly Pittsburgh for the Pirates vs. D-Backs next Thursday with a stop at PSA that day...woohoo...excited.
dsrussell likes this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
Billy p is offline  
post #12485 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 334
^^ Hey Bill. I'll be extremely interested in your impressions of the updated drivers in the XS30 compared to the original. Looking forward in getting your input for both music and movies.
dsrussell is online now  
post #12486 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magibeg View Post
I got mine! Now to refresh the tracking page every 10 minutes for the next several days until it arrives.
Compulsive refreshing in progress. I checked it at least ten times before fedex even loaded it into their system....
FattyMcButterPants is online now  
post #12487 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Billy p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Markham,Ont
Posts: 1,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
^^ Hey Bill. I'll be extremely interested in your impressions of the updated drivers in the XS30 compared to the original. Looking forward in getting your input for both music and movies.
Will do...

Having read both reviews over at DB of the new PSA products....I am fairly confident the new SE version will improved upon the sound...just how much..I'll let you know.

Fwiw...I would not have carried out this upgrade, if I required to follow all the footnotes described on the PSA site...This trip will save me a significant amount of money making it worthwhile...IMHO...by saving all those added shipping expenses.

Cheers and thanks for all your help both on the forum and via PM's.

Bill...

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
Billy p is offline  
post #12488 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Member
 
labman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
[QUOTE=Billy p;25318761]Will do...

Having read both reviews over at DB of the new PSA products....I am fairly confident the new SE version will improved upon the sound...just how much..I'll let you know.

Fwiw...I would not have carried out this upgrade, if I required to follow all the footnotes described on the PSA site...This trip will save me a significant amount of money making it worthwhile...IMHO...by saving all those added shipping expenses.

Cheers and thanks for all your help both on the forum and via PM's.

Bill...[/QUOTE
Billy after being on the fence for 6 weeks and looking at the info over at DB and the reviews from upgraders, and basshead I'm pulling the trigger next week on my XS15's. Let us know what you think when up and running!
basshead81 likes this.
labman1 is offline  
post #12489 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,078
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Congrats on the upgrades guys!! I must say after a couple months of listening, the triple XV15se makes me smile everytime I fire them up. I was previously on the fence about the steeper roll off, but I must say it is a worthwhile trade off for everything that is gained above 16hz. I use to run the original version crossed between 60-80hz, but the SE version sounds amazing crossed between 100-120hz. Now my mains have even more headroom due to the higher crossover and no localization. I do not forsee any upgrades in the future until I can build a dedicated theatre and even then I might just add a 4th XV15se and some transducers for the sub 16hz stuff. The SE power X line is definitely a home run. It's pretty obvious too because the Anti PSA group suddenly got quiet!
Mike Butny and ahblaza like this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #12490 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,078
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Oh and did anybody see this on DB.com, the XV30se put down 88db @ 10hz and 99db @ 12.5hz with on 7-8%thd In Room!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H XV30SE CEA-2010 IN ROOM.png
Views:	547
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	139001  
basshead81 is offline  
post #12491 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
Pictures of the XS30...less the drive units. Very well built and braced from what I can tell. Everything wrapped & boxed up....ready for their journey back to PSA. I took some pictures of the drivers...I must say not to shabby and they had some weight to them...much more imposing than web pictures would suggest. I can't wait to install the new drive units...I have strong suspicion that once completed I'll have exactly what I was looking for in a dual purpose sub. Although I view a lot of movies, I do go through phases of only listening to music... during which I felt something... however small, was lacking or missing.

This should be my last upgrade for a while. I will plan another baseball trip next summer that will include Cleveland because I want to visit the R&R hall of fame and likely go to Jacobs Field to catch a Indians game. I might swing by PSA on the way home and p/up a second XS30 next time around...








Heading to Boston on Sunday for the Red Sox vs. Cubs game Monday evening. Moving onto Baltimore for the Orioles vs. Rangers on Tuesday and lastly Pittsburgh for the Pirates vs. D-Backs next Thursday with a stop at PSA that day...woohoo...excited.

Billy my friend, enjoy your trip, wish I had the opportunity to meet up with you at PSA on Thursday the 3rd, too bad I'll be in recovery after the 2nd hip replacement and still in the hospital. Hopefully next year when you make the trip again I will be fortunate enough to get to meet you and your son and spend some time together. While your at PSA check on Jim's results with the new speaker model, do it with discretion. Enjoy my friend, looking forward to next time.
All the Best, Jeffrey Nordi
Billy p likes this.

j_nordi
ahblaza is offline  
post #12492 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 675
So sitting around and suddenly an idea hits me. I do not have a dedicated theater room. All my AV equipment is in our main living room, which on one hand is nice, but on the other hand makes it impossible to enjoy a nice action BD without disturbing the entire house. A 10, 20, or $50,000 dedicated home theater is out of the question, BUT, I have a full unfinished basement with a 12' x 25' x 7' room that can be 100% sealed with a better door. Now it is all concrete and stone, and I don't really have any budget for a theater project anytime in the next several years since we are paying our house off. So here are my thoughts:

1) Hang heavy floor to ceiling curtains all the way around the room for sound absorption and additional soundproofing. Also, provide movie theater atmosphere.
2) Use some sort of cheap acoustic panels to cover the ceiling...maybe drop ceiling type tiles. The current ceiling is some sort of skimmed concrete/plaster.
3) Plop down a nice plush area rug to cover most of the room.
4) Couple of inexpensive seats/recliners for the time being
5) Transfer AV equipment
6) Biggest hurdle/cost would be a new display...this would likely be the sticking point, although I bet Black Friday will likely yield a heck of a deal on a 70".

I think I could throw something like this together for less than I have in my equipment, which isn't much.

Thoughts?

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

bear123 is offline  
post #12493 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Do it, Do it..............what do you have to lose?

j_nordi
ahblaza is offline  
post #12494 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,117
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
So sitting around and suddenly an idea hits me. I do not have a dedicated theater room. All my AV equipment is in our main living room, which on one hand is nice, but on the other hand makes it impossible to enjoy a nice action BD without disturbing the entire house. A 10, 20, or $50,000 dedicated home theater is out of the question, BUT, I have a full unfinished basement with a 12' x 25' x 7' room that can be 100% sealed with a better door. Now it is all concrete and stone, and I don't really have any budget for a theater project anytime in the next several years since we are paying our house off. So here are my thoughts:

1) Hang heavy floor to ceiling curtains all the way around the room for sound absorption and additional soundproofing. Also, provide movie theater atmosphere.
2) Use some sort of cheap acoustic panels to cover the ceiling...maybe drop ceiling type tiles. The current ceiling is some sort of skimmed concrete/plaster.
3) Plop down a nice plush area rug to cover most of the room.
4) Couple of inexpensive seats/recliners for the time being
5) Transfer AV equipment
6) Biggest hurdle/cost would be a new display...this would likely be the sticking point, although I bet Black Friday will likely yield a heck of a deal on a 70".

I think I could throw something like this together for less than I have in my equipment, which isn't much.

Thoughts?
This is exactly what I'll be doing in my new house we close on in a month

I just bought a panny ae8000 HD PJ for my display. I will dyi a screen

I plan on a large area rug and a spare armchair. I will be using all my av equipment in my current living room (my ht) for the downstairs. In about 2-3 years I will have the funds to completely build the dedicated theater (although I plan to finish it off in stages as money becomes available)

First step is to build a false wall and at screen. The rest will wait.

I plan on a 130" 2.35 CIH screen. The area will eventually be completely enclosed 12x16x8

Dual xs30's should be awesome in there. But I'm scared I'm going to miss my suspended hardwood floor and it's resonance
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #12495 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,690
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
So sitting around and suddenly an idea hits me. I do not have a dedicated theater room. All my AV equipment is in our main living room, which on one hand is nice, but on the other hand makes it impossible to enjoy a nice action BD without disturbing the entire house. A 10, 20, or $50,000 dedicated home theater is out of the question, BUT, I have a full unfinished basement with a 12' x 25' x 7' room that can be 100% sealed with a better door. Now it is all concrete and stone, and I don't really have any budget for a theater project anytime in the next several years since we are paying our house off. So here are my thoughts:

1) Hang heavy floor to ceiling curtains all the way around the room for sound absorption and additional soundproofing. Also, provide movie theater atmosphere.
2) Use some sort of cheap acoustic panels to cover the ceiling...maybe drop ceiling type tiles. The current ceiling is some sort of skimmed concrete/plaster.
3) Plop down a nice plush area rug to cover most of the room.
4) Couple of inexpensive seats/recliners for the time being
5) Transfer AV equipment
6) Biggest hurdle/cost would be a new display...this would likely be the sticking point, although I bet Black Friday will likely yield a heck of a deal on a 70".

I think I could throw something like this together for less than I have in my equipment, which isn't much.

Thoughts?
Are you still sitting here wondering man?

Get to it. That will be totally awesome DUDE... LOL

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
climber07 is offline  
post #12496 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
This is exactly what I'll be doing in my new house we close on in a month

I just bought a panny ae8000 HD PJ for my display. I will dyi a screen

I plan on a large area rug and a spare armchair. I will be using all my av equipment in my current living room (my ht) for the downstairs. In about 2-3 years I will have the funds to completely build the dedicated theater (although I plan to finish it off in stages as money becomes available)

First step is to build a false wall and at screen. The rest will wait.

I plan on a 130" 2.35 CIH screen. The area will eventually be completely enclosed 12x16x8

Dual xs30's should be awesome in there. But I'm scared I'm going to miss my suspended hardwood floor and it's resonance
Maybe a small(i.e not tall) riser will be in order using 2x4's and plywood so you get some sensation in the floor. I am still curious about some good low frequency transducers like the buttkicker lfe. I've heard they produce very noticeable single digit effects(along with higher stuff as well). So, tell me about this DIY screen.

The thing that really got me thinking about my room was the idea of using drapes..I don't have the time to frame and drywall, and don't care to spend the money to have it done so I figured this would be a cheap and effective option.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

bear123 is offline  
post #12497 of 14003 Old 06-27-2014, 11:45 PM
 
cableguy301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Maybe a small(i.e not tall) riser will be in order using 2x4's and plywood so you get some sensation in the floor. I am still curious about some good low frequency transducers like the buttkicker lfe. I've heard they produce very noticeable single digit effects(along with higher stuff as well). So, tell me about this DIY screen.

The thing that really got me thinking about my room was the idea of using drapes..I don't have the time to frame and drywall, and don't care to spend the money to have it done so I figured this would be a cheap and effective option.
framing is dirty cheap do it your self in a few wknds.. safe sound insulation and dry wall goes up quick.. drapes cost more I bet.. lol


cheers
cableguy301 is offline  
post #12498 of 14003 Old 06-28-2014, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: howell,nj
Posts: 3,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
So sitting around and suddenly an idea hits me. I do not have a dedicated theater room. All my AV equipment is in our main living room, which on one hand is nice, but on the other hand makes it impossible to enjoy a nice action BD without disturbing the entire house. A 10, 20, or $50,000 dedicated home theater is out of the question, BUT, I have a full unfinished basement with a 12' x 25' x 7' room that can be 100% sealed with a better door. Now it is all concrete and stone, and I don't really have any budget for a theater project anytime in the next several years since we are paying our house off. So here are my thoughts:

1) Hang heavy floor to ceiling curtains all the way around the room for sound absorption and additional soundproofing. Also, provide movie theater atmosphere.
2) Use some sort of cheap acoustic panels to cover the ceiling...maybe drop ceiling type tiles. The current ceiling is some sort of skimmed concrete/plaster.
3) Plop down a nice plush area rug to cover most of the room.
4) Couple of inexpensive seats/recliners for the time being
5) Transfer AV equipment
6) Biggest hurdle/cost would be a new display...this would likely be the sticking point, although I bet Black Friday will likely yield a heck of a deal on a 70".

I think I could throw something like this together for less than I have in my equipment, which isn't much.

Thoughts?

I can't beleive your stuffing everything in your LR while you have an unfinished basment just sitting there
Mike Butny and basshead81 like this.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

mercury is offline  
post #12499 of 14003 Old 06-28-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Dual xs30's should be awesome in there. But I'm scared I'm going to miss my suspended hardwood floor and it's resonance
You will likely miss your suspended floor ALOT...unless your ht seating has ulf resonances as well.

You'll pick up pressure, but most likely lose the tactile feel imo. You can supplement by the pressure, but will need diy fire power to do it.

I would definitely build a riser...and one that is conducive to vibrations.
dominguez1 is online now  
post #12500 of 14003 Old 06-28-2014, 06:30 AM
Senior Member
 
bill1908's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If anybody's interested I have two XV15's with the bases for sale in the classifieds. They are for local pick-up only.
bill1908 is offline  
post #12501 of 14003 Old 06-28-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,078
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Sounds like good idea to me Bear. I know if I had a unfinished basement I would be off to the races.
basshead81 is offline  
post #12502 of 14003 Old 06-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Member
 
leadliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Do it, Do it..............what do you have to lose?
dont do it,im a contractor the last thing you want to do is spend time and money and be unhappy with the results. and end up wasting money to redo it. make a plan and do it right,do it in stages.
ahblaza likes this.
leadliner is offline  
post #12503 of 14003 Old 06-28-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,078
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1908 View Post
If anybody's interested I have two XV15's with the bases for sale in the classifieds. They are for local pick-up only.
If I had the room I would take them off of your hands.

3 as end tables and 2 up front by the mains would be kewl.
basshead81 is offline  
post #12504 of 14003 Old 06-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Senior Member
 
bill1908's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
If I had the room I would take them off of your hands.

3 as end tables and 2 up front by the mains would be kewl.
You should definitely do it
bill1908 is offline  
post #12505 of 14003 Old 06-28-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadliner View Post
dont do it,im a contractor the last thing you want to do is spend time and money and be unhappy with the results. and end up wasting money to redo it. make a plan and do it right,do it in stages.
Well, I don't see the need to frame an existing room with drywall, so I thought that floor to ceiling fabric like in a movie theater was actually an ideal solution for both sound and asthetics. It is an older home so this would also prevent any moisture that might ever find its way in be less of an issue. Basement has been bone dry since we moved in two years ago with plenty of heavy rains, so it is not a big concern but always a possibility.

Same goes for the area rug. I thought it would help a lot with the acoustical properties of the room but can easily be rolled up or removed if dampness ever becomes an issue. Would also be inexpensive.

Not 100% sure what to use on the ceiling, if anything since it has a complete ceiling. So I figured something inexpensive to improve the acoustics and soundproofing a bit would be a good idea but I don't need to be in a hurry to get this done.

The room is long at 25', so I am thinking of sectioning off the rear of the room with a curtain(not too sure about this), as I will likely have some exercise equipment in that section.

Regardless, it will be next year for sure before I start to tackle this, the money tree is a bit bare of late.

What are peoples thoughts on framing the room with "curtains", would this be as acoustically beneficial as drywall and insulation, or would it be better or worse?

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

bear123 is offline  
post #12506 of 14003 Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mike Butny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orland Park, Il
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Well, I don't see the need to frame an existing room with drywall, so I thought that floor to ceiling fabric like in a movie theater was actually an ideal solution for both sound and asthetics. It is an older home so this would also prevent any moisture that might ever find its way in be less of an issue. Basement has been bone dry since we moved in two years ago with plenty of heavy rains, so it is not a big concern but always a possibility.

Same goes for the area rug. I thought it would help a lot with the acoustical properties of the room but can easily be rolled up or removed if dampness ever becomes an issue. Would also be inexpensive.

Not 100% sure what to use on the ceiling, if anything since it has a complete ceiling. So I figured something inexpensive to improve the acoustics and soundproofing a bit would be a good idea but I don't need to be in a hurry to get this done.

The room is long at 25', so I am thinking of sectioning off the rear of the room with a curtain(not too sure about this), as I will likely have some exercise equipment in that section.

Regardless, it will be next year for sure before I start to tackle this, the money tree is a bit bare of late.

What are peoples thoughts on framing the room with "curtains", would this be as acoustically beneficial as drywall and insulation, or would it be better or worse?
Bear:

My room is 12W X 7H X 30 D, I framed it with 5/8 drywall, front, back, and side walls and 5/8 and 1/2 drywall with Green Glue in between on the ceiling. I thought about building a floor with 2x4's and plywood but I did not want to lose height, if the room was taller I would of definitely did it. I layed acoustical, waterproof Resilient Vinyl Planks on the floor and an area rug to help with acoustics, I also have bass traps and acoustical panels throughout the room. I painted the ceiling and front wall flat black, the side and back wall is painted with Quick Silver flat paint. I highly recommend going the framing route.
cableguy301 likes this.

Mike Butny is offline  
post #12507 of 14003 Old 06-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 159
My creation

Here's a couple pics of my latest contraption, I had to try this. I haven't fired them up yet, took me all day to get them setup. Almost the same cabinet model as the XV30FSE, even the drivers are spaced exactly 3 and 1/8" apart, with the riser a little taller. Probably will be tearing it down tomorrow but I just had to try it.
Cheers Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my XV30FSE 001.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	140562   Click image for larger version

Name:	my XV30FSE 002.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	140570   Click image for larger version

Name:	my XV30FSE 003.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	140578   Click image for larger version

Name:	my XV30FSE 004.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	140586  
Timokreon likes this.

j_nordi
ahblaza is offline  
post #12508 of 14003 Old 06-28-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,078
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Whats up with the one driver? Looks completely different.
basshead81 is offline  
post #12509 of 14003 Old 06-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Senior Member
 
RockDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Whats up with the one driver? Looks completely different.
If you are talking about ahblaza'a photos, I think it's just because the flash/lighting is different from the top to the bottom speaker.
RockDawg is offline  
post #12510 of 14003 Old 06-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Member
 
digler84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 75
yeah, first two pics look normal, but last two have flash reflections and make it look weird. almost makes it look like he has one old driver, one new driver.
digler84 is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off