Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 421 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12601 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
After the Audyssey calibration, is the subwoofer still set to "On" in the settings?

This is from your manual:

"Using a Powered Subwoofer

If you’re using a powered subwoofer and it outputs very low-frequency sound at a low volume level, it may not be detected by Audyssey MultEQ Room Correction and Speaker Setup. If the “Subwoofer” appears on the “Review SP Configuration” screen as “No”, increase the subwoofer’s volume to the half-way point, set it to its highest crossover frequency, and then try running Audyssey MultEQ Room Correction and Speaker Setup again. Note that if the volume is set too high and the sound distorts, detection issues may occur, so use an appropriate volume level. If the subwoofer has a low-pass filter switch, set it to Off or Direct. Refer to your subwoofer’s instruction manual for details".
Magibeg likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...

Last edited by climber07; 07-03-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12602 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
After the Audyssey calibration, is the subwoofer still set to "On" in the settings?

This is from your manual:

"Using a Powered Subwoofer

If you’re using a powered subwoofer and it outputs very low-frequency sound at a low volume level, it may not be detected by Audyssey MultEQ Room Correction and Speaker Setup. If the “Subwoofer” appears on the “Review SP Configuration” screen as “No”, increase the subwoofer’s volume to the half-way point, set it to its highest crossover frequency, and then try running Audyssey MultEQ Room Correction and Speaker Setup again. Note that if the volume is set too high and the sound distorts, detection issues may occur, so use an appropriate volume level. If the subwoofer has a low-pass filter switch, set it to Off or Direct. Refer to your subwoofer’s instruction manual for details".
You're awesome for looking through the manual!

The subwoofer is set to "YES". Another easy way for me to check is on the receivers screen itself there is a little box that says "SW" which is lit also indicating that the sub is in fact active during use. See page 10 of the manual if you're still looking.
post #12603 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Just a thought, may be grasping at straws at this point....but have you tried a different cable?
Magibeg likes this.
post #12604 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Just a thought, may be grasping at straws at this point....but have you tried a different cable?
I actually haven't. I'll go buy one (I need another one anyway because I'm moving in about a week). Wouldn't be the first time I've been thwarted by a cable. I could also consider a Y split to plug into both inputs, i doubt it would help but i really want to cover all bases.

Last edited by Magibeg; 07-03-2014 at 11:04 AM.
post #12605 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

So, after stacking my 4 XS15s up front the other day (sounds awesome BTW!) I noticed something strange that has cropped up before;

I bought my first 2 (came with bases) about a year ago and the second pair (no bases) about 4 months later. Even when stacked right on top of one another, I have to flip the phase on either the newer pair or the older pair to get them to not cancel out each other.

Seems to me that one pair is wired out of phase. Would this be your conclusion as well?

Not really a big deal, just seems strange.
post #12606 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magibeg View Post
What further confuses me is that while it is doing calibration it doesn't sound abnormally quiet. Calibration is never loud mind you, but I find it especially annoying that my old sub can be dropped in and work perfectly.

Edit - I guess my next plan of attack will be to do a factory reset on the receiver (clear out all settings!), set the sub gain to 1 o'clock position, run audyssey again and go from there.
Quote:
Funny enough my Audyssey doesn't ask me to set my subwoofer to 74db (running an Onkyo 707), i'm not sure it will let me read the dB rating live or not but i'll double check with the manual. I might have to buy a SPL Meter.

For source material I used Avatar on blu-ray, a rage against the machine cd, and just an HD movie channel on television.

I want to emphasis how quiet the sub is though. We're talking can have a casual conversation sitting next to it with only a gentle rumble. Maybe as loud as sitting next to a honda civic at idle? not even?
Since everyone else seems to be jumping on the setup, I'll offer some slightly different theories:

1) the source material you are using might not particularly bass heavy or dynamic. Your old sub might sound "louder" with these materials due to compression or distortion, and now that it's clean, you perceive less power. What are your listening levels? Might also try something a little more dynamic, such as Incredible Hulk, transformers, batman trilogy etc.

2) I noticed my new xv15's were a little underwhelming at first as well, so I left the test tones on for a few minutes at moderate volumes to let things stretch out a bit. First thing I demoed was Incredible Hulk, then some other things. By the time I got back to Incredible Hulk it was a totally different experience.

If everything sounds normal during calibration then underwhelming during listening of your favorite material, I doubt it's a setup or sub issue, but more about "expectations" in what you think the bass should be vs what is actually is.

I am by no means an expert, so feel free to smack me around if I am off base here.
post #12607 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Since everyone else seems to be jumping on the setup, I'll offer some slightly different theories:

1) the source material you are using might not particularly bass heavy or dynamic. Your old sub might sound "louder" with these materials due to compression or distortion, and now that it's clean, you perceive less power. What are your listening levels? Might also try something a little more dynamic, such as Incredible Hulk, transformers, batman trilogy etc.

2) I noticed my new xv15's were a little underwhelming at first as well, so I left the test tones on for a few minutes at moderate volumes to let things stretch out a bit. First thing I demoed was Incredible Hulk, then some other things. By the time I got back to Incredible Hulk it was a totally different experience.

If everything sounds normal during calibration then underwhelming during listening of your favorite material, I doubt it's a setup or sub issue, but more about "expectations" in what you think the bass should be vs what is actually is.

I am by no means an expert, so feel free to smack me around if I am off base here.
Haha I would never smack around someone try to help me. I used a couple different sources (blu-ray, TV, music CD). I admit I haven't let the sub run more than 30 minutes continuous at this point in time but when I say quiet I mean nearly not there at all as opposed to just not reaching bass head levels.
post #12608 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz063 View Post
This is the front of my room (loungeroom not dedicated HT) with the two XS30's.

Having the second sub has really helped room response.
How do you like your mini split?

I wired one for my theater, however I won't be able to install it till last. Do you notice any noise that affects your audio? I really have no choice but to add a mini split as it will be very hard to run an AC line to my room. I actually like the idea of the unit as I can use it when needed. Also, how does the heat pump work? I have seen units on you tube that put out heat in -12 below 0.
post #12609 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, after stacking my 4 XS15s up front the other day (sounds awesome BTW!) I noticed something strange that has cropped up before;

I bought my first 2 (came with bases) about a year ago and the second pair (no bases) about 4 months later. Even when stacked right on top of one another, I have to flip the phase on either the newer pair or the older pair to get them to not cancel out each other.

Seems to me that one pair is wired out of phase. Would this be your conclusion as well?

Not really a big deal, just seems strange.
If they are stacked and the phase is 180 out, then yes, they are wired out of phase. Pop off the amp and check the wires.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #12610 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If they are stacked and the phase is 180 out, then yes, they are wired out of phase. Pop off the amp and check the wires.
But, do I have to?

Unless it would somehow improve the sound, I'd rather not go mucking about inside the subs.
post #12611 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But, do I have to?

Unless it would somehow improve the sound, I'd rather not go mucking about inside the subs.
It's my OCD... LOL

Being a Marine and a tech, it would drive me absolutely crazy not knowing.

post #12612 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
I actually haven't. I'll go buy one (I need another one anyway because I'm moving in about a week). Wouldn't be the first time I've been thwarted by a cable. I could also consider a Y split to plug into both inputs, i doubt it would help but i really want to cover all bases.
don't think its your cable if it works on the other sub..

what is the phase set at.. ? put at 0 or 180...

good luck eh.. did you ask tom?
Magibeg likes this.
post #12613 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
But, do I have to?

I have 2 subs going onto a truck soon .. going to be a long wait.. xs15se

is it a good Idea to sit them beside each other to check the phase?

cheers
post #12614 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'm pretty sure my situation is the exception, not the rule.
post #12615 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's my OCD... LOL

Being a Marine and a tech, it would drive me absolutely crazy not knowing.
Yeah, you're right....I'll probably end up having to open 'em up.
post #12616 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post
don't think its your cable if it works on the other sub..

what is the phase set at.. ? put at 0 or 180...

good luck eh.. did you ask tom?
Tried 0 and 180 for the phase but didn't appear to do anything. Talked to Tom this afternoon. He's a pretty awesome guy so I'm certain a solution will be found. I'm feeling optimistic for tonight!
post #12617 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Magibeg,

After running your Audyssey calibration, did you check to make sure that your other speakers are set to "small"?

When I calibrate my system, my AVR sets my speakers to "large". After completing the calibration, I must go into the menu and change them to "small", otherwise my sub would not receive any re-directed bass from the other channels. This is an entirely separate menu from the crossover settings, so it could be easy to miss.
cableguy301 likes this.

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #12618 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post
Magibeg,

After running your Audyssey calibration, did you check to make sure that your other speakers are set to "small"?

When I calibrate my system, my AVR sets my speakers to "large". After completing the calibration, I must go into the menu and change them to "small", otherwise my sub would not receive any re-directed bass from the other channels. This is an entirely separate menu from the crossover settings, so it could be easy to miss.
I actually don't think I have that option but I'll double check with the manual. I recall only having the option to set my speakers to full range and then adjust at 10hz intervals. That could be an option with the Audyssey XT32
post #12619 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1683
I think most of the obvious stuff was sorted out when Magibeg said that he can unhook the XV15 and hook up the PL-200 and have instant bass. That tells me the cable is good and the audyssey settings are close enough. Might be a amp calibration issue.
post #12620 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I actually don't think I have that option but I'll double check with the manual. I recall only having the option to set my speakers to full range and then adjust at 10hz intervals. That could be an option with the Audyssey XT32

yeah you need the speaker to be small.. even if they are large...

still would be lfe content to the sub tho...

cheers..
Magibeg likes this.
post #12621 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post
yeah you need the speaker to be small.. even if they are large...

still would be lfe content to the sub tho...

cheers..
Unfortunately they're not set to full range though, just the option is there. Choices for me and my limited version of audyssey are from full range to 120hz cross over i believe (with mine being set to 80hz).

edit - Checked my manual

"
Speaker Configuration
With these settings, you can specify which speakers are connected and a crossover frequency for each speaker. The following crossover frequencies can be specified: “Full Band”, “40Hz”, “50Hz”, “60Hz”, “70Hz”, “80Hz(THX)”, “90Hz”, “100Hz”, “120Hz”, “150Hz”, or “200Hz”. Specify “Full Band” for speakers that can output low frequency bass sounds adequately, for example, speakers with a good sized woofer. For smaller speakers, specify a crossover frequency."

Last edited by Magibeg; 07-03-2014 at 02:04 PM.
post #12622 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, on your AVR if it's set to anything other than "Full Band" they are set to "small". You got it right.
Magibeg likes this.
post #12623 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Well I stopped by PSA this morning met Jim and exchanged my old drive units for the SE version. I didn't have a lot of time to stick around and met Tom but in the end it was nice to see the shop and check things out. I saw some interesting things while I was there...anyhow....I can't wait to get home and set up my XS30 with the new drivers...I didn't want to waste to much of Jim's time but I now see why he is called him the "quiet one"...lol.

I'll post some pics once we arrived home...this trip certainly had its bumps...but going from home to Boston with a stopover at friends in Longmeadow, MA then Fenway, Baltimore and finally Pittsburgh. Today we drove to Grove City for some shopping and Mineral Ridge OH...I'm beat. I'll take a cab this evenings game at PNC park....I estimate we've travelled about 2500 km so far and leaving for home tomorrow AM.

I hope you all have a great July 4th long weekend....

All the best...

Ps: This note is for Raynist...we checked out the Thai food place on Western Av and it was legit!!

Thanks again for the suggestion...

Bill....
dsrussell likes this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig

Last edited by Billy p; 07-03-2014 at 03:11 PM.
post #12624 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
Well I stopped by PSA this morning met Jim and exchanged my old drive units for the SE version. I didn't have a lot of time to stick around and met Tom but in the end it was nice to see the shop and check things out. I saw some interesting things while I was there...anyhow....I can't wait to get home and set up my XS30 with the new drivers...I didn't want to waste to much of Jim's time but I now see why he is called him the "quiet one"...lol.

I'll post some pics once we arrived home...this trip certainly had its bumps...but going from home to Boston with a stopover at friends in Longmeadow, MA then Fenway, Baltimore and finally Pittsburgh. Today we drove to Grove City for some shopping and Mineral Ridge OH...I'm beat. I'll take a cab this evenings game at PNC park....I estimate we've travelled about 2500 km so far and leaving for home tomorrow AM.

I hope you all have a great July 4th long weekend....

All the best...

Ps: This note is for Raynist...we checked out the Thai food place on Western Av and it was legit!!

Thanks again for the suggestion...

Bill....
Great!

I just ate there for lunch yesterday.

Enjoy the game tonight!! Let's go bucs!!
Billy p likes this.

Last edited by raynist; 07-03-2014 at 06:34 PM.
post #12625 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
. I saw some interesting things while I was there...anyhow....
Oh? Can you please explain these interesting little things in great full length detail

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 07-03-2014 at 05:12 PM.
post #12626 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Karen what brand is your ET center and where did you get? How much ?
Thank you so much
Cheers Jeffrey
I had the ET unit made to order at a local furniture manufacturer cost me about $800, however I'm in Australia so that's probably of no help to you.

Cheers, Karen
post #12627 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
How do you like your mini split?

I wired one for my theater, however I won't be able to install it till last. Do you notice any noise that affects your audio? I really have no choice but to add a mini split as it will be very hard to run an AC line to my room. I actually like the idea of the unit as I can use it when needed. Also, how does the heat pump work? I have seen units on you tube that put out heat in -12 below 0.
The split a/c works quite well, I don't have any noticeable noise affecting the audio, but I only use it in summer for cooling, I have ducted gas heating for winter.
post #12628 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Well, it appears the amp on one of my xv15se's is dead... Tom helped me troubleshoot and they will be shipping one out ASAP (likely Saturday due to holiday tomorrow). Tom is great to deal with. Must say even with this hiccup I'm really impressed with their company and products.

This leads me to a question for all you experts out there. It occurred to me that instead of sitting around being grumpy about this situation, I can drag my outlaw lfm1-ex out of the bedroom and hook it up in the main room. I will for sure do 1 v 1 testing, but I am wondering, how would it mix with my other xv15se?

Any thoughts?
post #12629 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
Nice setup! Narly cat tree you got there.
Thanks.

Yep the cats love it.
post #12630 of 15154 Old 07-03-2014, 07:40 PM

Good news!

I talked to Tom and did some trouble shooting tonight and my XV15se is now pounding away properly. So as it turns out, my receiver and the sub didn't seem to play nicely with each other, however once we added a Y cable and plugged into both inputs the sub promptly blew my face off.

Without the Y cable i was able to run near max gain with +4dB hot on the receiver and it barely made a whimper, now with the Y cable I'm running -7.5dB at about 1:30 gain. I now understand why some of you were going so crazy when I was running this sub hot. If it was working properly it might have taken down the house!

So compared to my PL-200 now.... much much more powerful. It packs an incredible punch but remarkably is still less "boomy". Watched pieces of a couple of movies and you can really feel the force move through you. When I threw on some music it had the ability to be tight and musical still.

Very very happy! I can barely imagine what it must be like to have 2.. or more of them!
Mike Butny and flydeep like this.

Last edited by Magibeg; 07-03-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page