post #12781 of 14012 Old 07-12-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
This guy obviously lost his mind long ago. 4 Triax's in that size room? Just leave him be there is no hope for him.
Raynist has TBI (traumatic brain injury) from bass concussions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12782 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Well, from what I heard they won't be including Direc on any shipments for 2(?) months. Supposed to be some type of upgrade down the road. Now I'm wondering how users will calibrate the system? Will there be manual test tones? Users forced to purchase a SPL for this? Sounds crazy when you consider even a $250 AVR has auto calibration features these days. Somehow I see in my future many, many emails with xmc-1 customers trying to get their systems dialed in..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I will waite for the finished product...

it is just a flash memory upgrade.. not hardware..

cheers
post #12783 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
The emo xmc1 is the biggest joke going. I can't beleive people would still be willing to purchase that thing after the continuous lies by the owner no less
Brian, I have to agree with you, I've had wonderful CS from EMO with their amps but would be very hesitant to purchase a pre-pro or processor at this point. I feel sorry for Jim and Tom when it does start shipping and it's being used with PSA subs. I plan on saving a bunch of money when the new speakers come out, I will be selling off most of my out-board amps and receiver and getting a beefy amp section receiver with Audyssey XT32 SUB EQ HD, I'm looking at the Onkyo 1010, Denon 4000 should be all I need to drive the speakers to full power rating. Free up some space as well. I'll post what I will be selling before listing in the classifieds giving you guys a chance to get some real bargains, I even have unused BJC cables I will be selling. Take care.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #12784 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post

cheers
I would ditch that xsp-1 setup, buy a good avr with decent room correction, purchase a mic, download rew, then go with a outboard eq device if need be. I have a feeling your subs are being severely limited by the current setup. Jmo
ahblaza likes this.

Last edited by basshead81; 07-13-2014 at 03:18 PM. Reason: to clear up that I did not mean get rid of the entire audio system.
post #12785 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

cheers

Yeah that's just what we know for now, how long has the release date of the xmc-1 been dalayed? Just curious, I have nothing negative to say about Emotiva, so I will say nothing except be cautious with your decision, if you're dead set on getting the device I would at least wait till there are some customer comments. Good luck with whatever you decide. I've been on both sides of the single device versus the separates route and have decided that a good all in one device (AVR) is more than adequate for my needs, now if you have very finicky (difficult loads) to drive I would stay with the separates. For me a good receiver with all the latest software and RC options and beefy amp section is the plan for me, most of my amplification devices are overkill for my needs, they do look good though in the rack. I have just starting using the amps of my receiver recently and must say I can not tell the difference between it and my separates. To each his own, I'm just expressing my opinion and experiences, maybe someone can gain from my experiences. Thank you for listening.
Cheers Jeff
basshead81 likes this.

j_nordi
post #12786 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Yeah that's just what we know for now, how long has the release date of the xmc-1 been dalayed? Just curious, I have nothing negative to say about Emotiva, so I will say nothing except be cautious with your decision, if you're dead set on getting the device I would at least wait till there are some customer comments. Good luck with whatever you decide. I've been on both sides of the single device versus the separates route and have decided that a good all in one device (AVR) is more than adequate for my needs, now if you have very finicky (difficult loads) to drive I would stay with the separates. For me a good receiver with all the latest software and RC options and beefy amp section is the plan for me, most of my amplification devices are overkill for my needs, they do look good though in the rack. I have just starting using the amps of my receiver recently and must say I can not tell the difference between it and my separates. To each his own, I'm just expressing my opinion and experiences, maybe someone can gain from my experiences. Thank you for listening.
Cheers Jeff

im always cautious.. the pre pro xsp 1 is top notch and will blow any avr out of the water in 2 channel sound quality... I expect the same from the xmc 1 .. just waiting for the reviews and a sale price lol..

cheers
ahblaza likes this.

Last edited by cableguy301; 07-13-2014 at 12:59 PM.
post #12787 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
im always cautious.. the pre pro xsp 1 is top notch and will blow any avr out of the water in 2 channel sound quality... I expect the same from the xmc 1 .. just waiting for the reviews and a sale price lol..

cheers
I would tend to disagree with that but like I said whatever sounds good to you is good. I don't think Bass was telling you to ditch your entire setup (speakers etc.) just the XMC-1. I won't make any comments on the quality of that product as I've said I've had nothing but excellent results with Emotiva. Good Luck
basshead81 likes this.

j_nordi
post #12788 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
.... I plan on saving a bunch of money when the new speakers come out, I will be selling off most of my out-board amps and receiver and getting a beefy amp section receiver with Audyssey XT32 SUB EQ HD, I'm looking at the Onkyo 1010, Denon 4000 should be all I need to drive the speakers to full power rating.
Are you referring to the PSA speakers they are planning to come out with? I'm wondering if my pioneer elite sc35 will have enough power to run them to full power... Never understood how to make that determination.
post #12789 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Are you referring to the PSA speakers they are planning to come out with? I'm wondering if my pioneer elite sc35 will have enough power to run them to full power... Never understood how to make that determination.

get some amps... !!! you can never have too much power... head room does wonders for sound quality..

post #12790 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
there you go again showing off your ignorance! the xsp 1 analog pre amp is top notch.. for 2 channel audio.. you are clueless about fine audio..

how old are you bass head ...? read between the lines what kind of nonsense is that.... your really degrading yourself here..

have a good day..
Pm sent to kee this thread on track.
ahblaza likes this.
post #12791 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Pm sent to kee this thread on track.
Thanks Bass,

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza and basshead81 like this.
post #12792 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You won't need much amp power for our speakers. They will be pretty efficient. Even an entry level AVR will have plenty of power for them.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Billy p, ahblaza and basshead81 like this.
post #12793 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Bass,

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
No problem!

Also my apologies to Cableguy. I did not intend to offend you. Sometimes my posts can come off the wrong way and I apologize for that. It read like you were looking for a possible solution to help integrate your subs a few posts back. If this was not the case then my mistake. I am sure the XSP-1 is a fine piece of audio equip. for 2 channel, but when it comes to 5.2,7.2...etc multichannel audio, integrating can be a bit more tricky. A AVR with XT32 combined with measuring the FR(REW) could possibly put all the pieces to the puzzle together for you. Or simply adding a external Dirac live, mini dsp, or some other form of external eq device could be a good solution being it will integrate with the xsp-1. I was just commenting from the standpoint that I have seen several folks get away from emotive pre/pro stuff and go to
A dedicated AVR. Again did not mean to ruffle feather.

Fwiw I run a adcom gfa 555II powering my mains. For 2 channel stereo or full range listening it dominates my AVR for clean output capabillity. However when running all my speakers small, my AVR does a good job redirecting bass to the subs and taking the load off of the mains. Could external amps still be a benifit, possibly, but I think a high end AVR like a Yammie 3030 or Denon 4520/X4000 could do a reasonable job driving most speakers when crossed 80hz or higher.... Especially the high efficiency ID speakers such as JTR, Seaton, and soon PSA.
ahblaza likes this.
post #12794 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You won't need much amp power for our speakers. They will be pretty efficient. Even an entry level AVR will have plenty of power for them.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Okay, okay, you big tease... You're killing us with the anticipation.
oneeyeblind and basshead81 like this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #12795 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Okay, okay, you big tease... You're killing us with the anticipation.
I really try NOT to discuss it unless there are specific questions..

We would have been done a month ago but one of our driver vendors came up with a last minute new idea/mod to one of our custom 10s. At first I was like..."no, no, no...we've taken too long already". Then Jim talked sense into me saying "hey, we've waited this long, if we can make it just a LITTLE better, what's another few weeks?"

Anyway, now that these are just about done, my attention is turning toward a new "witness" subwoofer for Lebron's HT in Akron.. (j/k)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind, ahblaza and climber07 like this.
post #12796 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I really try NOT to discuss it unless there are specific questions..

We would have been done a month ago but one of our driver vendors came up with a last minute new idea/mod to one of our custom 10s. At first I was like..."no, no, no...we've taken too long already". Then Jim talked sense into me saying "hey, we've waited this long, if we can make it just a LITTLE better, what's another few weeks?"

Anyway, now that these are just about done, my attention is turning toward a new "witness" subwoofer for Lebron's HT in Akron.. (j/k)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
To be a fly on the wall of your shop...
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #12797 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Hey Fatty, your SC35 is no slouch and should be more than plenty for the new PSA speakers. Do not feel that you need to get a separate amp!
post #12798 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
. I have just starting using the amps of my receiver recently and must say I can not tell the difference between it and my separates. To each his own, I'm just expressing my opinion and experiences, maybe someone can gain from my experiences.
Cheers Jeff
That's because, as long as an amp or AVR is not driven into clipping, there is no difference in sound "quality" between amps and avr's. If your amp or avr is delivering clean, distortion free power at your listening level, then an exorbitantly expensive "audiophile" component amp is not going to "sound" better than any modern day, good quality avr. Amps don't generate a particular "sound", they simply provide power. If they do, then they are artificially coloring the sound in some way, which in my opinion, they should not be doing. Now, that is not to say that different versions of room correction or dynamic eq etc will cause differences in sound quality. Or if a low level AVR is running out of power and clipping, then of course you need more power. But that is a totally different issue than saying there is a "sound quality" difference between any decent AVR and expensive separates.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #12799 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
That's because, as long as an amp or AVR is not driven into clipping, there is no difference in sound "quality" between amps and avr's. If your amp or avr is delivering clean, distortion free power at your listening level, then an exorbitantly expensive "audiophile" component amp is not going to "sound" better than any modern day, good quality avr. Amps don't generate a particular "sound", they simply provide power. If they do, then they are artificially coloring the sound in some way, which in my opinion, they should not be doing. Now, that is not to say that different versions of room correction or dynamic eq etc will cause differences in sound quality. Or if a low level AVR is running out of power and clipping, then of course you need more power. But that is a totally different issue than saying there is a "sound quality" difference between any decent AVR and expensive separates.
Well stated!
ahblaza likes this.
post #12800 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
Hey Fatty, your SC35 is no slouch and should be more than plenty for the new PSA speakers. Do not feel that you need to get a separate amp!
Well this is great news! I've avoided buying new speakers for a long while for fear of needing external amps. I stretched to get the sc35 which makes me current speakers sound excellent imo.

To bear's point, at -10MV as my absolute max (MLP ~10ft from mains) I put a pretty low power demand on things.
post #12801 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom, you took the words right out of my mouth, and Fatty, you're Pioneer will do just fine with the new speakers, count on it............. Hopefully soon I will be able to attest to that bold statement Jim and Tom
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #12802 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Well this is great news! I've avoided buying new speakers for a long while for fear of needing external amps. I stretched to get the sc35 which makes me current speakers sound excellent imo.

To bear's point, at -10MV as my absolute max (MLP ~10ft from mains) I put a pretty low power demand on things.
I was the same way, actually never went higher than -15 and -20 was my norm. After getting high efficiency speakers that could play above reference with no distortion I have significantly increased my listening levels. Now, -10 is more the norm and I occasionally go to 0 or more. My old speakers lacked efficiency and distorted when much above -10 so it sounded piercing and much louder.

I have a feeling the new PSA speakers will be able to cruise along at reference and sound great doing it leading to people turning them up louder than they are used to.
ahblaza likes this.
post #12803 of 14012 Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I was the same way, actually never went higher than -15 and -20 was my norm. After getting high efficiency speakers that could play above reference with no distortion I have significantly increased my listening levels. Now, -10 is more the norm and I occasionally go to 0 or more. My old speakers lacked efficiency and distorted when much above -10 so it sounded piercing and much louder.

I have a feeling the new PSA speakers will be able to cruise along at reference and sound great doing it leading to people turning them up louder than they are used to.
Well if that is the case I might outrun my xv15se's I just bought.

.... Or perhaps I'll finally let them stretch their legs a bit.

Last edited by FattyMcButterPants; 07-13-2014 at 09:06 PM.
post #12804 of 14012 Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At 10dB under (reference) you will be looking at 95dB peaks from the full range channels. For our speakers, 10-20 watts will be *plenty* in all but the largest of rooms(think >10,000 cu-ft for example).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza and climber07 like this.
post #12805 of 14012 Old 07-14-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 675
I've been a bit quiet lately so here is an update. Busy at work(70-80 hour weeks) which is normal, but taking nine hours of classes to finish up a degree is leaving me stretched quite thin. I will be done 7/31...can't wait. Decided to hold off on the surround speaker addition I was planning, for a couple of reasons. Actually plan to move most of the audio equipment to the basement next year into a dedicated super low budget home theater. And our solution for surround speakers was going to be matching in walls which is too much money to spend along with installation cost and difficulty for a temporary setup that I won't be able to use next year. So I'm just kicking back enjoying my setup here and there when time permits, which isn't often. PSA's speakers seem like they will fill a very unique slot of performance and price. My current AVR/speaker combo is my weaker link as compared to the subs. AVR/speakers run out of steam before my subs do, but honestly it is still way more than I normally need. I can see them being a contender if I ever get the itch to upgrade my bookshelf speakers though, especially with the efficiency which is like getting a "free" AVR upgrade.
labman1 and ahblaza like this.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #12806 of 14012 Old 07-15-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

cheers
Right, that is what I heard too. They even send you the USB fully loaded. On the subject of Direc, does anyone have much experience with it? I was looking over the miniDSP site and they are now offering Direc enabled processors but they seem to be limited to 2 channels at the moment?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12807 of 14012 Old 07-15-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
To be a fly on the wall of your shop...
You know after I posted that I tried to find some info on his "Media" room in Akron but didn't come up with much. Does anyone know any details? He did a huge reno in 2006 didn't he? I'm guessing back then the installer just put a half a dozen Vel 18s or Triad 18s hidden behind the screen or something like that..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12808 of 14012 Old 07-15-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Right, that is what I heard too. They even send you the USB fully loaded. On the subject of Direc, does anyone have much experience with it? I was looking over the miniDSP site and they are now offering Direc enabled processors but they seem to be limited to 2 channels at the moment?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
I've used the free demo for 2 channel and it was quite impressive. Much more intuitive than audyssey. And customizable.

I think once everything is released and bugs worked out I may try it out. Soley because it will allow me to get rid of a lot of components (DAC, 2 channel preamp, avr all combined into one fine sounding unit ) of course this is all after I see and hear lots of positive reviews. The unit won't go anywhere. So no need to jump in too quickly

Tom what are your thoughts on atmos? Think it will catch on?
post #12809 of 14012 Old 07-15-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've used the free demo for 2 channel and it was quite impressive. Much more intuitive than audyssey. And customizable.

I think once everything is released and bugs worked out I may try it out. Soley because it will allow me to get rid of a lot of components (DAC, 2 channel preamp, avr all combined into one fine sounding unit ) of course this is all after I see and hear lots of positive reviews. The unit won't go anywhere. So no need to jump in too quickly

I'm mainly basing this off of the information I have read from *names* I give great weight too...Like Roger Dressler for example. Based on their input, I don't see how this won't "catch on".

1)Object based will offer audible benefits
2)Ceiling speakers (or up firing modules) will add a new dimension to the sound stage
3)The processors and AVRs already announced don't seem to be any higher in price than I would have expected from non Atmos enabled products.
4)They reports on the up firing speaker modules (instead of dedicated ceiling speakers) seem to all be very positive.
5)The major studios are on board already or show signs of getting on board quickly.

I don't expect the majority of home theaters too suddenly jump from a 5.1 system to a 7.4.2 system of course. But if anyone is in the market for a new AVR/processor now...I don't see why they would even consider something without Atmos(barring close out deals and the such).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12810 of 14012 Old 07-15-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you know if Dirac has the ability to EQ dual subs discretely? Audyssey's HT SUB EQ seems to do a heck of a job there. And Pioneer(?) just announced all of their new stuff will have this capability too.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page