post #12841 of 13901 Old 07-18-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert760 View Post
Yes it will be paired with the Triax in my room. I am still going to get the second Triax but first I want to upgrade the pb12+ I just feel like I mite damage it if I go higher on volume. I need something to keep up with the Triax.
Neither sub will keep up with the Triax is what Tom is trying to say. Both will be on the limiter well before the Triax.
Alan P and ahblaza like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12842 of 13901 Old 07-18-2014, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Is this going to be something you use in the same room as your Triax? If so, there are better choices than the XV15se. The XS30se for example..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Triax is a sealed sub right? If money is tight I would think even the xs15se might be a better choice for this than xv15se. Yes/no?
ahblaza likes this.
post #12843 of 13901 Old 07-18-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I'm with basshead...what's the point here?? He's got a TRIAX for god's sake!
post #12844 of 13901 Old 07-18-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Can't refute that one bit! Do any of you guys have an idea how the triax stacks up against something like the Submersive or Captivator? I know they are all in a similar price range and likely devastate just about any room they are in.
post #12845 of 13901 Old 07-18-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Neither sub will keep up with the Triax is what Tom is trying to say. Both will be on the limiter well before the Triax.

And the phase shifts...oh the horror!

Actually in a room as small as Robert's some deep bass cancellation might not be the end of the world. IIRC he was relating how his neighbors have been complaining. The neighbors ACROSS the street!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Last edited by Tom Vodhanel; 07-18-2014 at 03:24 PM.
post #12846 of 13901 Old 07-18-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Ask Ray.

I have the equivalent of about 4 Triax pounding in the office right now just punishing our building with some bassy music. And I was looking around to see what else I could move in here by myself. We all have those days..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #12847 of 13901 Old 07-18-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Oh I can imagine Tom....if I was surrounded by subwoofers like I imagine you are all day, I'd have to have an intervention.

Who's Ray??
basshead81 likes this.
post #12848 of 13901 Old 07-18-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Ask Ray.

I have the equivalent of about 4 Triax pounding in the office right now just punishing our building with some bassy music. And I was looking around to see what else I could move in here by myself. We all have those days..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Equivalent of four Triax's, but not four Triax's themselves... Interesting.....
post #12849 of 13901 Old 07-18-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Can't refute that one bit! Do any of you guys have an idea how the triax stacks up against something like the Submersive or Captivator? I know they are all in a similar price range and likely devastate just about any room they are in.
Probably just a slight bit less output then a Cap S2 but more then a SubM HP.
post #12850 of 13901 Old 07-18-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ask Ray.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Lol...now that is a day I would like to have more of!!
post #12851 of 13901 Old 07-18-2014, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
They haven't sold Onkyo because they are biasing the customers. Onkyo really hasn't had any higher failure rates than most other manufacturers in the past few years. I'd say from the 1009/3009/5009 timeframe and forward. The recent versions of Onkyo's don't have the high failure rates of the past models. Most were HDMI board failures and were replaced in and out of warranty.

Don't get me wrong, Onkyo had a bad run. Every major company has their issues.

Yamaha makes some good receivers too, but Audyssey was the selling point for the Onkyo. YPAO is okay, but I don't care much for it. It seems a little basic. You will be happy with either, but you may have that nagging question of "what if I had Audyssey MultEQ XT32" in the back of your mind...

You have to take the good and the bad. Talk to some more Onkyo owners, visit some review sites from consumers (Amazon, NewEgg, Crutchfield) and take the top and bottom ten percent and ignore them. The rest are probably fairly accurate.

Climber, I have not given up on the 1010, like I said I still have a 8 or 9 year Onkyo that performs flawlessly, well that's when they were made in Japan tho. I still like Onkyo especially the TX-NR1010, has everything I need, beefy amp section, really good phono stage (a rare thing) these days, and all the bells and whistles and top of the line Audyssey XT32 SUB EQ HT and weighs a lot, that matters to me I don't why but I think weight denotes power. I also have an in with the regional Onkyo repair center rep in Newark NJ . I had problems with my last Onkyo receiver I bought from Amazon when Onkyo posted on their site the defective models with corresponding serial numbers and Amazon kept sending the defective model with the serial # that denoting it being defective. I got to the bottom of my problem with this person from Onkyo, instead of sending it back to Amazon so they could the same thing over again, she told me to send it to her and exchanged it for a good serial # and buhrned it in for five days prior to shipping back to me, free of course, Amazon ended up giving me a 30% discount for my troubles, all they had to do was look at the box and cross reference the serial # and send one that didn't match, they couldn't even do that. Another thing Onkyo sells more receivers than anyone so naturally they may have a higher % of problems. You are right the fix was easy just like you said involving HDMI and transistor boards. So I'm saying I'm not giving up on that 1010, I just can't get the discount I could with Yamaha, Marantz or Pioneer.
On a side not I have my four XV15SEs stacked in the R&L front corners, will calibrate tomorrow and get back.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #12852 of 13901 Old 07-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

All I can say is if you haven't heard a Triax you don't know what you're missing, I hated to let mine go (Cordovan) but it went to a good home, the single could be felt a floor above and my pant legs used to actually flap in the wind Ray has to be in bass heaven with four. I now have four XV15SEs and they really help with the seller's remorse. I'm still not done yet. The money I plan on saving with the new PSA speakers selling off all my external amps I may consider selling the four XV15SEs and buying dual Triaxs, seriously. I definitely need duals in my space, nasty null I couldn't get rid of, didn't have the funds to purchase a second Cordovan Triax but this time like I said I may go back to standard finish Triaxs. I think after I get the new speakers I will be completely satisfied and be done for a while, I just have to remove my name from this forum and never come back YEAH. I can't wait to try out the four stacked XV15Ses in my front L&R corners, my sister and me have them all setup now I have to just dial them in. This location is very conducive to room gain and I'll have a ton of headroom. Tom and Jim, I hope it's Miller time soon (speakers)
Cheers to all, Jeffrey Nordi
Timokreon likes this.

j_nordi
post #12853 of 13901 Old 07-18-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
All I can say is if you haven't heard a Triax you don't know what you're missing, I hated to let mine go (Cordovan) but it went to a good home, the single could be felt a floor above and my pant legs used to actually flap in the wind Ray has to be in bass heaven with four. I now have four XV15SEs and they really help with the seller's remorse. I'm still not done yet. The money I plan on saving with the new PSA speakers selling off all my external amps I may consider selling the four XV15SEs and buying dual Triaxs, seriously. I definitely need duals in my space, nasty null I couldn't get rid of, didn't have the funds to purchase a second Cordovan Triax but this time like I said I may go back to standard finish Triaxs. I think after I get the new speakers I will be completely satisfied and be done for a while, I just have to remove my name from this forum and never come back YEAH. I can't wait to try out the four stacked XV15Ses in my front L&R corners, my sister and me have them all setup now I have to just dial them in. This location is very conducive to room gain and I'll have a ton of headroom. Tom and Jim, I hope it's Miller time soon (speakers)
Cheers to all, Jeffrey Nordi
I will be curious on your impressions with the dual stacks of XV15se's. Was wondering about that upgrade path for myself down the line should I want more than I am currently getting. Since I already have two of them I absolutely love it seems the simplest path.

I hope I don't end up wanting more, right now the xv15's feel like a gut punch when I turn them up. Somehow since I got then my listening levels have increased though, which is odd. Even though the spl meter reads higher, the room is pulsating like never before, it never hurts my ears as would happen previously.
ahblaza likes this.

Last edited by FattyMcButterPants; 07-18-2014 at 08:21 PM.
post #12854 of 13901 Old 07-19-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Do these subs have a limiter light on them? Or can you just tell you have reached limits by measuring spl?

Quote:
Probably just a slight bit less output then a Cap S2 but more then a SubM HP.
That is awesome... Hey Tom, any plans for a high end ported model for those of us with huge rooms?
post #12855 of 13901 Old 07-19-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do these subs have a limiter light on them? Or can you just tell you have reached limits by measuring spl?

That is awesome... Hey Tom, any plans for a high end ported model for those of us with huge rooms?
They have soft limiters. Last I talked with Tom there was no plans for a ported version of the Triax due to the cost of shipping and sheer size.
post #12856 of 13901 Old 07-19-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
They have soft limiters. Last I talked with Tom there was no plans for a ported version of the Triax due to the cost of shipping and sheer size.
That is understandable, sure would be something special it seems.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of an XV30 with the extreme excursion triax drivers, and a monster 4kw amp... Not sure that's any more feasible or even makes sense from a performance standpoint, but seems like it could work. Tom certainly knows better than me though.
post #12857 of 13901 Old 07-19-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is understandable, sure would be something special it seems.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of an XV30 with the extreme excursion triax drivers, and a monster 4kw amp... Not sure that's any more feasible or even makes sense from a performance standpoint, but seems like it could work. Tom certainly knows better than me though.
I AM the man with the 10 pound brain after all..

There are always good ideas from you guys. The problem for us is....we want to implement each idea to near perfection. Whether it is shipping logistics to avoid customers dealing with damage, vendor considerations to ensure we have a stable supply chain, or just the dozens of performance "rainbows" that all must work in perfect synergy to really have an optimized design. So far, I'd say the AVERAGE time from first concept to production/shipping for Jim and myself is about 2 years. As we continue to grow and add staff that will likely drop accordingly..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
flydeep likes this.
post #12858 of 13901 Old 07-19-2014, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ordered a XS15se today, my first PSA product. I cannot wait. Tom chatted with me for close to an hour to figure out what was best for me.

Between the service and being made in the USA, I haven't been this fired up about an audio product in a long time.

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35::::Marantz UD5007::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I::::Martin Logan Scripts
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
post #12859 of 13901 Old 07-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There are always good ideas from you guys. The problem for us is....we want to implement each idea to near perfection. Whether it is shipping logistics to avoid customers dealing with damage, vendor considerations to ensure we have a stable supply chain, or just the dozens of performance "rainbows" that all must work in perfect synergy to really have an optimized design. So far, I'd say the AVERAGE time from first concept to production/shipping for Jim and myself is about 2 years. As we continue to grow and add staff that will likely drop accordingly..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom and Jim, I would be more than happy to come down on a regular basis and donate my time and energy with the development of the new dual 10"s, I could be your gofer, driver installer, in other words your slave for trade. Sorry guys I didn't get around to calibrating the four stacked XV15Ses upfront today but will try again tomorrow and post my thoughts, I have very high expectations and PSA subs never seem to disappoint. You guys already know that tho. Take care my friends.
Sincerely yours, Jeffrey Nordi

j_nordi
post #12860 of 13901 Old 07-19-2014, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What's the warranty process like? My xv15-se took a crap on me today. Just want to know what I'm looking at for downtime.

PSA XS30-SE for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12861 of 13901 Old 07-19-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berstuck View Post
What's the warranty process like? My xv15-se took a crap on me today. Just want to know what I'm looking at for downtime.
When my amp died they had me back up and running within five days (this failure occurred on July 3 mind you. Quite impressive for a holiday weekend). Not sure what your failure is, but if you email them they react instantly. Maybe even quicker over the website chat.
post #12862 of 13901 Old 07-19-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
When my amp died they had me back up and running within five days (this failure occurred on July 3 mind you. Quite impressive for a holiday weekend). Not sure what your failure is, but if you email them they react instantly. Maybe even quicker over the website chat.
Cool, thanks man. My jbl's are huge, but they have almost no low end. I set up a low shelf in jriver to get me by until my sub is fixed, but it's such a huge difference in low end output.

PSA XS30-SE for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12863 of 13901 Old 07-19-2014, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I asked Tom to but he said the Triax would have to be 450 pounds and huge if it was ported I was wow but it would look so awesome.

Last edited by Robert760; 07-20-2014 at 12:28 AM.
post #12864 of 13901 Old 07-20-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Equivalent of four Triax's, but not four Triax's themselves... Interesting.....

Yup...its a single unit using 6 triax driver units...weights ~400 lbs... not really a practical in design but if you can only have one sub..that would be it.

I really fought the urge to have Jim fire it up...its better to just sit and wonder...what if...than... to know your single sub solution is inadequate...

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry

Last edited by Billy p; 07-20-2014 at 10:36 AM.
post #12865 of 13901 Old 07-20-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
Yup...its a single unit using 6 triax driver units...weights ~400 lbs... not really a practical in design but if you can only have one sub..that would be it.

I really fought the urge to have Jim fire it up...its better to just sit and wonder...what if...than... to know your single sub solution is inadequate...
That would just be 2 Triax's though. I actually did hear it when I picked up my 3rd Triax. Tom said that one was loaded with the original design drivers and an outboard amp.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #12866 of 13901 Old 07-20-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Works for me, gives the ole wallet a chance to reload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
That would just be 2 Triax's though. I actually did hear it when I picked up my 3rd Triax. Tom said that one was loaded with the original design drivers and an outboard amp.
I never noticed your sig since I use the mobile version of AVS, but dude, you've got some serious firepower over there!! 4 Triax's???? That's amazing!
post #12867 of 13901 Old 07-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My down time was like three days for the new amps, I live in PA tho and PSA is in Ohio. They're really quick about it. Have you check the fuse on the back of the amp

j_nordi
post #12868 of 13901 Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berstuck View Post
Sorry I quoted the wrong person, 3 days for me to get my two SE amps replaced and running. Have you checked the outboard fuse on the back of the amp, right above the power input.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #12869 of 13901 Old 07-20-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Sorry I quoted the wrong person, 3 days for me to get my two SE amps replaced and running. Have you checked the outboard fuse on the back of the amp, right above the power input.
Cheers Jeff
Yeah it's locked up software on the amp. Tom's customer service is top notch. He contacted me this morning, and said a replacement would ship tomorrow. Sucks having no sub with big pro audio mains, but at least I'll only be down a few days. Took some time to play with the peq function in jriver though, and a low shelf is helping me get by.

PSA XS30-SE for sale
post #12870 of 13901 Old 07-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Does anyone know when the review of the XS30se is going to be done?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page