Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 441 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13201 of 15112 Old 08-09-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,364
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
The SE is where it's at. Anybody that owned a regular XV sub and has not experienced a SE upgrade does not know what they are missing. (Which may be a good thing for the pocket book )

Drussell, I am betting if you heard a SE, you would sell the SB13 and to fund one...just sayin.
basshead81 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13202 of 15112 Old 08-09-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 450
LOL. No, I'd never sell my Ultra. However, I may be curious enough to have my XS30 modified .
dsrussell is online now  
post #13203 of 15112 Old 08-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Member
 
wadec22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 28
just got my XV15 calibrated with my XS15se. i'll report back on how well my x4000's sub eq blends the two. crossing fingers for best of both worlds, otherwise i'll be trading in my XS for and XV15se.

Pioneer Elite SC-75
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35::::Marantz UD5007::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I::::Martin Logan Scripts
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
wadec22 is online now  
post #13204 of 15112 Old 08-09-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Billy p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Markham,Ont
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
LOL. No, I'd never sell my Ultra. However, I may be curious enough to have my XS30 modified .
No doubt you'd enjoy the SE version but since you have the XS30 handling HT duties and the SB13 for music your all set...I found the SE now gives me the best of both worlds.

Curiosity never hurt nobody...well except..maybe the cat...jk...
ahblaza and dsrussell like this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig

Last edited by Billy p; 08-09-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Billy p is offline  
post #13205 of 15112 Old 08-09-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,364
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadec22 View Post
just got my XV15 calibrated with my XS15se. i'll report back on how well my x4000's sub eq blends the two. crossing fingers for best of both worlds, otherwise i'll be trading in my XS for and XV15se.
Cool keep us posted.
basshead81 is offline  
post #13206 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 01:35 AM
Member
 
Cyborg_Optoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Need suggestion / input from the PSA members.. as I am seriously considering getting a PSA sub .. but unsure which one to get ported or sealed 15 or 30....

In my current setup I have a bic pl-200 sub... the room in which I will be setting up my HT is 12*15 on the second floor..attached a picture to show how the room looks like and it is open on one side..

My HT consists of 4 * Infinity Primus P363's , 2* Infinity Primus P163's & Infinity Primus PC351 & of course pl-200, Reciever: Yamaha RX-V575

I think recently the line up changed for PSA subs and the price too got increased.. can someone please just let me know what the old models were and what is the price increase.

Is it advisable to just get 1 sub now and add another later ?

I think it would not be a good idea to mix and match sub's ? so I have to get rid of my pl-200 sub ?

I need to get the slam in the chest kind of bass.. please let me know which one of the PSA's would do it.. I am not in the position of adding a dual right away... also completely noob at HTS and calibrating stuff... I just randomly calibrated my current HT according to my hearing...

Please let me know if any other details needed from me..

Thanks for suggestions..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hr4200801-12.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	206041  
Cyborg_Optoma is offline  
post #13207 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 450
^^ Your room size is a bit over 1,800 cu. ft (medium size room), however, it is wide open to another room and since a sub fills that entire open space, you probably have 3,000 cu. ft. or over (close to a large size room). It's no surprise that the PL-200 couldn't fill that volume.

PSA upgraded the driver to their Power-X lineup and reworked the DSP giving the amplifier more wattage. This was NOT a minor update. The precision advantage of the "se" drivers are easily noticeable for all who have made the switch, while the price increase was only $100, which is minimal for the performance increase.

Getting one sub now with the plan of another when funds are available is a wise move. I will assume that you found the right location of your BIC by doing the subwoofer crawl. I will also assume that at your listening position you got good, even response (no peaks or valleys). If that is correct, then you already know where to place the PSA sub when you get it. Who knows? It may be the only sub you'll need.

You are correct, it is not a good idea to mix and match a budget sub with a high performance sub. As far as which PSA to get, I'd talk to Tom Vodhanel at PSA. But by the size of your combined rooms, I'd say you are looking at the ported XV15se.
gbreda and audiofan1 like this.
dsrussell is online now  
post #13208 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 494
^^^^ I'll second the XV15se and plan a second down the road!
ahblaza likes this.
audiofan1 is offline  
post #13209 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
^^^^ I'll second the XV15se and plan a second down the road!
You running the dxd and xv together?

BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #13210 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 195
^^^^I have two xv15se in a 6k cu ft room and it's nothing short of devastating for movie LFE imo. With such a small room I can't imagine one not being amazing, especially of the plan is to get a second eventually.
FattyMcButterPants is online now  
post #13211 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
You running the dxd and xv together?
No sir! I'm running the XS15se with the DXD which is sealed, its was for smoothing and curiosity but I really loved the results , you already know the dxd is incredibly accurate & fast with very low distortion, this says a lot about the updated PSA subs (Se). I plan on adding a second DXD as well and possibly an additional XS15se and will be done with bass
audiofan1 is offline  
post #13212 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
No sir! I'm running the XS15se with the DXD which is sealed, its was for smoothing and curiosity but I really loved the results , you already know the dxd is incredibly accurate & fast with very low distortion, this says a lot about the updated PSA subs (Se). I plan on adding a second DXD as well and possibly an additional XS15se and will be done with bass
That was what I meant. Not sure why you said no. Post some REW results if you can of each sub alone, and working with each other


Last edited by BIGBEAR2004; 08-10-2014 at 01:59 PM.
BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #13213 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Member
 
wadec22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 28
have to say Denon/Audyssey Sub EQ does a great job of blending my XS15se and XV15. Watched War of the Worlds, Cloverfield and Tron. Really pleased. I have a bit more time to test, but I think I like this combo. While dual XV's are tempting, I think this may be the winner for my room (approx. 3k cuft).

Pioneer Elite SC-75
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35::::Marantz UD5007::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I::::Martin Logan Scripts
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
wadec22 is online now  
post #13214 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,364
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
That was what I meant. Not sure why you said no. Post some REW results if you can of each sub alone, and working with each other
He said "no sir" because you mentioned XV15, which he does not have...he has a XS15 which should blend well with the dxd2012.
basshead81 is offline  
post #13215 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
No sir! I'm running the XS15se with the DXD which is sealed, its was for smoothing and curiosity but I really loved the results , you already know the dxd is incredibly accurate & fast with very low distortion, this says a lot about the updated PSA subs (Se). I plan on adding a second DXD as well and possibly an additional XS15se and will be done with bass
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
He said "no sir" because you mentioned XV15, which he does not have...he has a XS15 which should blend well with the dxd2012.
I need thicker glasses
ahblaza likes this.

BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #13216 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 313
New subs

Hey Guys, just a quick update, I received my subs two days ago and the four XV15SEs will be gone tomorrow, I'll just say for now that I decided to go with sealed, not ready to disclose how many but I got more than one XS30SE and will give these a good chance as I had them when they first came out but not for long as I sent them back (traded) for a Cordovan Triax months before I received my Triax, so I didn't have much time with them. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind, I have dual sub pre-outs on my receiver, I know they are just connected as one output and not independent of each other so say if I have only two subs is there any benefit using one output with Y splitter or just using one output per each sub? Second question, I know the best location for two subs is in each front corner in my LR, I'm hoping those that may have XS30SEs or others that just know more than me (probably most ) can help me out with driver orientation with dual opposed subs. Option 1 place the XS30 sort of catty corner with one driver firing into front wall and other into side or long wall, option 2, one driver into front wall (short) and the other into room, OK last option 3, one driver into side or long wall and other towards the opposite side wall, in other words firing at the other sub in the opposite corner. I know what you're going to say, try them all and see what sounds best. I would like someone's opinion that has used or tried one of these 3 options or none of them and try something else. If what I have does not satisfy me this time I'm just going to get dual Triaxs or commit myself to the nearest mental hospital, seriously.
PS: Tom posted on HTS to check the site in the nest week or so for some exiting new news can't wait. TIA Guys.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
ahblaza is online now  
post #13217 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Member
 
wadec22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 28
and I spoke too soon.... WAF factor. kind of odd, i'll be going dual ported. she wants two symmetrical units lol

Pioneer Elite SC-75
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35::::Marantz UD5007::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I::::Martin Logan Scripts
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
wadec22 is online now  
post #13218 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,768
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey Guys, just a quick update, I received my subs two days ago and the four XV15SEs will be gone tomorrow, I'll just say for now that I decided to go with sealed, not ready to disclose how many but I got more than one XS30SE and will give these a good chance as I had them when they first came out but not for long as I sent them back (traded) for a Cordovan Triax months before I received my Triax, so I didn't have much time with them. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind, I have dual sub pre-outs on my receiver, I know they are just connected as one output and not independent of each other so say if I have only two subs is there any benefit using one output with Y splitter or just using one output per each sub? Second question, I know the best location for two subs is in each front corner in my LR, I'm hoping those that may have XS30SEs or others that just know more than me (probably most ) can help me out with driver orientation with dual opposed subs. Option 1 place the XS30 sort of catty corner with one driver firing into front wall and other into side or long wall, option 2, one driver into front wall (short) and the other into room, OK last option 3, one driver into side or long wall and other towards the opposite side wall, in other words firing at the other sub in the opposite corner. I know what you're going to say, try them all and see what sounds best. I would like someone's opinion that has used or tried one of these 3 options or none of them and try something else. If what I have does not satisfy me this time I'm just going to get dual Triaxs or commit myself to the nearest mental hospital, seriously.
PS: Tom posted on HTS to check the site in the nest week or so for some exiting new news can't wait. TIA Guys.
Cheers Jeff
I see DIY in your future dude. Maybe before the Triaxs....maybe after....but it will happen.
ahblaza likes this.
Alan P is online now  
post #13219 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
That was what I meant. Not sure why you said no. Post some REW results if you can of each sub alone, and working with each other


Will do ! As soon as I get the mic.
audiofan1 is offline  
post #13220 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,364
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey Guys, just a quick update, I received my subs two days ago and the four XV15SEs will be gone tomorrow, I'll just say for now that I decided to go with sealed, not ready to disclose how many but I got more than one XS30SE and will give these a good chance as I had them when they first came out but not for long as I sent them back (traded) for a Cordovan Triax months before I received my Triax, so I didn't have much time with them. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind, I have dual sub pre-outs on my receiver, I know they are just connected as one output and not independent of each other so say if I have only two subs is there any benefit using one output with Y splitter or just using one output per each sub? Second question, I know the best location for two subs is in each front corner in my LR, I'm hoping those that may have XS30SEs or others that just know more than me (probably most ) can help me out with driver orientation with dual opposed subs. Option 1 place the XS30 sort of catty corner with one driver firing into front wall and other into side or long wall, option 2, one driver into front wall (short) and the other into room, OK last option 3, one driver into side or long wall and other towards the opposite side wall, in other words firing at the other sub in the opposite corner. I know what you're going to say, try them all and see what sounds best. I would like someone's opinion that has used or tried one of these 3 options or none of them and try something else. If what I have does not satisfy me this time I'm just going to get dual Triaxs or commit myself to the nearest mental hospital, seriously.
PS: Tom posted on HTS to check the site in the nest week or so for some exiting new news can't wait. TIA Guys.
Cheers Jeff
You are never going to be satisfied if you do not take the time and properly setup the subs. I am not sure how 4 XV15se could not be anything short of amazing once properly integrated. Anyways hopefully you find what you are looking for.
ahblaza likes this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #13221 of 15112 Old 08-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Member
 
Cyborg_Optoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
^^ Your room size is a bit over 1,800 cu. ft (medium size room), however, it is wide open to another room and since a sub fills that entire open space, you probably have 3,000 cu. ft. or over (close to a large size room). It's no surprise that the PL-200 couldn't fill that volume.

PSA upgraded the driver to their Power-X lineup and reworked the DSP giving the amplifier more wattage. This was NOT a minor update. The precision advantage of the "se" drivers are easily noticeable for all who have made the switch, while the price increase was only $100, which is minimal for the performance increase.

Getting one sub now with the plan of another when funds are available is a wise move. I will assume that you found the right location of your BIC by doing the subwoofer crawl. I will also assume that at your listening position you got good, even response (no peaks or valleys). If that is correct, then you already know where to place the PSA sub when you get it. Who knows? It may be the only sub you'll need.

You are correct, it is not a good idea to mix and match a budget sub with a high performance sub. As far as which PSA to get, I'd talk to Tom Vodhanel at PSA. But by the size of your combined rooms, I'd say you are looking at the ported XV15se.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
^^^^ I'll second the XV15se and plan a second down the road!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
^^^^I have two xv15se in a 6k cu ft room and it's nothing short of devastating for movie LFE imo. With such a small room I can't imagine one not being amazing, especially of the plan is to get a second eventually.



Thanks guys appreciate the input...not sure how to get rid of the pl-200..

I did talk to Tom once.. like I said not much of an audiophile ... but do have the interest of getting a good HT build...I am just going to move into this new home.. though I was not able to get a closed HT room for my self.. I will just be making this second living room cum HT room which is up stairs..

I was just in the impression of getting XS30se not sure why.. and Tom was also saying that would do wonders in the room.. but I have been using ported subs since few years and like them.. never used a sealed sub... over here in this thread mostly I have seen people go for the ported subslike the XS15se or the previous model X*15* and just adding more subs based on their requirement or out of just adding more db's ..

XS15se would save me a lot up front and later be able to add another soon..

Does XS15se provide the thump and thud in movies ? this only has one driver right compared to XS30se which has 2 drivers.. I think may be that was the reason I was going for it.. has 2 drivers.. but later came to know it was sealed sub... but Tom was saying.. sealed subs do a good job too compared to ported... if I remember correctly from the chat...
Cyborg_Optoma is offline  
post #13222 of 15112 Old 08-11-2014, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 494
^^^My room is 20x21x8 with openings to the kitchen and hall way and both of my subs are sealed, also if your going for the XS15se note that its a sealed sub! I belive your thinking of the XV15se which is ported and few dollars more.
audiofan1 is offline  
post #13223 of 15112 Old 08-11-2014, 12:52 AM
Member
 
Cyborg_Optoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
^^ yes sorry ..was referring to xv15se..which sealed subs do you have...did uou any any other psa sealed or ported subs before..if this was an upgrade..and if possible any comparision or feedback that you can provide would be appreciated...thanks
Cyborg_Optoma is offline  
post #13224 of 15112 Old 08-11-2014, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post
^^ yes sorry ..was referring to xv15se..which sealed subs do you have...did uou any any other psa sealed or ported subs before..if this was an upgrade..and if possible any comparision or feedback that you can provide would be appreciated...thanks
I figured you knew , I just had to be sure in case you do purchase and a sealed sub show up This was my first PSA sub its the XS15se and I'm a fan of sealed for my own reasons and think posted subs are just fine. I was in need of a second sub for smoothing out the room and would also welcome an spl increase across the board and something that would suit the location as I only have 2 to play with for optimal results. My other sub is a Ken Kresiel DXD12012 which is also a sealed design with a dual 12' drivers and about 750 watts on tap, it resides in the front right corner and is designed for co-location via a stacking method ( which can also be done with most subs) It's a very accurate sounding sub and lightning fast on transients. I'm a firm believer in bass is bass! either a sub will cut it or it wont and has no place in my setup it must play the lower, mid and upper registers cleanly period! having said that,IMHO the DXD is the best I've ever heard at doing so. Now here's the kicker! I had heard some of the guys posting on the SE update to some of the PSA subs and my got my attention when I saw what driver they where now using, the post on musicality and speed was all I needed to know ( think Seaton and read a few of the comments regarding its performance) as that driver is based off of a very well known platform and from what I understand PSA did there do diligence and got it just like the wanted it. In short Its an incredible achievement if it can satisfy the persnickety requirements of this music and movie lover and play right along with my DXD

Keep in mind the price , the 45 day trial ( free shipping both ways) and if the XS30se was your first choice and in your budget, just do it! that's so your not wondering what could have been, if not the XS15se or XV15se will get the job done with a second down the road when budget allows !


Hope this helps and happy hunting
audiofan1 is offline  
post #13225 of 15112 Old 08-11-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post
Thanks guys appreciate the input...not sure how to get rid of the pl-200..

I did talk to Tom once.. like I said not much of an audiophile ... but do have the interest of getting a good HT build...I am just going to move into this new home.. though I was not able to get a closed HT room for my self.. I will just be making this second living room cum HT room which is up stairs..

I was just in the impression of getting XS30se not sure why.. and Tom was also saying that would do wonders in the room.. but I have been using ported subs since few years and like them.. never used a sealed sub... over here in this thread mostly I have seen people go for the ported subslike the XS15se or the previous model X*15* and just adding more subs based on their requirement or out of just adding more db's ..

XS15se would save me a lot up front and later be able to add another soon..

Does XS15se provide the thump and thud in movies ? this only has one driver right compared to XS30se which has 2 drivers.. I think may be that was the reason I was going for it.. has 2 drivers.. but later came to know it was sealed sub... but Tom was saying.. sealed subs do a good job too compared to ported... if I remember correctly from the chat...
The reason I suggested the XV15se and didn't mention the XS30se was because of price only. The XS30se is an amazing sealed sub for both music and movie LFE. Do I own it? No. I own the original XS30, and it's an amazing LFE sub and fills my 3,400 cu. ft. area (which is rather open, btw) with utter ease. I get an abundance of tactile feel and that sub sits on laminate flooring over a concrete slab. And I've had to silence dozens of rattles throughout many rooms (but will never get them all -- sometimes I feel the walls may crack). The "se" version of the XS30, retains most, if not all, of that tactile feel while reproducing music that is more precise than the original, and can compete with some of the best subs around in that area, as BillyP can attest (he's had the SVS SB13-Ultra and the PSA XS30 and XS30se in his home).

Many here have a logical preference for ported designs. I have a preference for the sealed design. Sealed designs are quite a bit smaller than ported designs (although the XS30se is pretty darn big), and I don't have to worry about port chuffing if I happen to over drive the sub … uh … unintentionally, of course . While sealed designs won't have the output of their ported brothers at the tuning frequency, they can actually have more extension as long as the room isn't too large. Even if you went with PSA's least expensive sub, the XS15se (sealed design), it should provide you with a flat-out amazing audio experience (as audiofan can, and did, attest).

There is no wrong choice here. But the choice is yours to make.
ahblaza and audiofan1 like this.
dsrussell is online now  
post #13226 of 15112 Old 08-11-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,434
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
So I don't know if I should post this here or not but I figure what the hell. I'm sure a lot of your long time PSA posters will remember fellow forum member Steve nn. He would post here quite often along with a bunch of the diy threads. He didn't own a PSA but had been a long time customer of Tom's since his SVS days. I had a lot of fun back and forth with Steve over posts and pm's, and I know basshead81 did too.


Anyways I haven't see him post since the beginning of April and I hadn't received any pm's from him as well which was a little dis-concerning because we would message a few times a week. So last week in the JTR thread I made a comment in one of my posts that when a regular poster doesn't post for a while you almost start to worry a little bit that something might have happened to them. Someone saw my comment about that post where I had mentioned that I haven't heard from Steve in a while and got back to me today with some sad news.


I don't know the details and I'm sure the forum member that reached out to me does either, but sadly it looks like Steve has passed away. I was really bummed out to get this pm today but was extremely grateful that this forum member reached out too me. I guess the forum member lived close to Steve and actually saw a local craigslist add with a bunch of HT stuff for sale, the forum member did a bunch of research and everything that was coming up for sale was the exact same stuff the Steve had owned, when he talked the guy selling it he had said that it belonged to his uncle Steve that had just passed away. So it wasn't officially confirmed but it would just be way too much of a coincident for it not to be the same Steve. Steve and I had become pretty good buddies over AVS, it's funny I had never met him in person but just chatted over pm's. We'd exchanged photo's of our families and talked about a great deal of things outside of just AVS, I always said that one day I had hoped to meet him in person and always said if he was even out my way that he was more then welcome to stay at my place or just come visit. He had always said the same too me. I would always tease him about being an old man....lol well older then me, as I'm 37 with a young family and he's had older kids.


Its funny that we sit behind our monitors and post on this hobby forum board and over time you really start to almost make friendships with people that you've probably never met before, and if you're lucky enough too you do get to meet some of your local guys and make new friendships. Anyways I just thought I should post and say something in one of the threads that he posted quite often in. Like I said I'm pretty bummed out and now I miss a buddy.
Billy p, ahblaza, flydeep and 3 others like this.

Last edited by jbrown15; 08-11-2014 at 02:21 PM.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #13227 of 15112 Old 08-11-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Thanks for sharing this, jbrown. If true, it is indeed a very sad day. Steve was a breath of fresh air. I enjoyed his posts throughout AVS and he seemed to me to be a kind and generous person. I too was wondering why I hadn't seen any of his posts. I will sorely miss him and his marvelous sense of humor
dsrussell is online now  
post #13228 of 15112 Old 08-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mike Butny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orland Park, Il
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
So I don't know if I should post this here or not but I figure what the hell. I'm sure a lot of your long time PSA posters will remember fellow forum member Steve nn. He would post here quite often along with a bunch of the diy threads. He didn't own a PSA but had been a long time customer of Tom's since his SVS days. I had a lot of fun back and forth with Steve over posts and pm's, and I know basshead81 did too.


Anyways I haven't see him post since the beginning of April and I hadn't received any pm's from him as well which was a little dis-concerning because we would message a few times a week. So last week in the JTR thread I made a comment in one of my posts that when a regular poster doesn't post for a while you almost start to worry a little bit that something might have happened to them. Someone saw my comment about that post where I had mentioned that I haven't heard from Steve in a while and got back to me today with some sad news.


I don't know the details and I'm sure the forum member that reached out to me does either, but sadly it looks like Steve has passed away. I was really bummed out to get this pm today but was extremely grateful that this forum member reached out too me. I guess the forum member lived close to Steve and actually saw a local craigslist add with a bunch of HT stuff for sale, the forum member did a bunch of research and everything that was coming up for sale was the exact same stuff the Steve had owned, when he talked the guy selling it he had said that it belonged to his uncle Steve that had just passed away. So it wasn't officially confirmed but it would just be way too much of a coincident for it not to be the same Steve. Steve and I had become pretty good buddies over AVS, it's funny I had never met him in person but just chatted over pm's. We'd exchanged photo's of our families and talked about a great deal of things outside of just AVS, I always said that one day I had hoped to meet him in person and always said if he was even out my way that he was more then welcome to stay at my place or just come visit. He had always said the same too me. I would always tease him about being an old man....lol well older then me, as I'm 37 with a young family and he's had older kids.


Its funny that we sit behind our monitors and post on this hobby forum board and over time you really start to almost make friendships with people that you've probably never met before, and if you're lucky enough too you do get to meet some of your local guys and make new friendships. Anyways I just thought I should post and say something in one of the threads that he posted quite often in. Like I said I'm pretty bummed out and now I miss a buddy.
I'm really sorry to hear that JB, lets all watch a movie or listen to some music in honor of Steve.
ahblaza and audiofan1 like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.1-set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaces by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA XS30se sub, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
Mike Butny is offline  
post #13229 of 15112 Old 08-11-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 177
^^^^Thank you for sharing. It sounds like he was an awesome guy and will be missed by many.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
JT78681 is offline  
post #13230 of 15112 Old 08-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Member
 
CRAZYKAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Outside of Denver
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't post very much on the thread here but read the posts daily.
Truly some bad news to hear jbrown, it's hard to lose a good buddy.

My Living Room  

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=CRAZYKAT

 

I live in Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

CRAZYKAT is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off