Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 442 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 20147Likes

post #13231 of 29820 Old 08-13-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadec22 View Post
Could Audyssey affect any of that "steak recipe" in a negative way?
Even though you asked Tom's advice, which is vastly more extensive than mine, I would like to say yes it can.

Audyssey's room correction software is an exceptional product. There are other tweaks and settings, that I am still learning, that can adversely effect your sound. Setting like dynamic volume, dynamic EQ, music and movie audio curves, music optimizer, and the like will all play a key role in determining your FR and sound quality. Most of these can be enabled at the same time, causing some weird things to happen. I've spent around 40 - 50 man hours changing everything from phase, to sub amp gain, to AVR sub gain, to the settings listed. All at different times and with different content. Sometimes, folks get lucky with a plug and play default setting in their room environment. Some of us have to work and play with the settings, learning their peculiarities as we go, to get our desired end result.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13232 of 29820 Old 08-13-2014, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Even though you asked Tom's advice, which is vastly more extensive than mine, I would like to say yes it can.

Audyssey's room correction software is an exceptional product. There are other tweaks and settings, that I am still learning, that can adversely effect your sound. Setting like dynamic volume, dynamic EQ, music and movie audio curves, music optimizer, and the like will all play a key role in determining your FR and sound quality. Most of these can be enabled at the same time, causing some weird things to happen. I've spent around 40 - 50 man hours changing everything from phase, to sub amp gain, to AVR sub gain, to the settings listed. All at different times and with different content. Sometimes, folks get lucky with a plug and play default setting in their room environment. Some of us have to work and play with the settings, learning their peculiarities as we go, to get our desired end result.
Good stuff, but I was more speaking just to the actual calibration and how it adjust the curves.

Denon 4520CI
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::110" Silver Ticket
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35:::::::::Denon DBT 3313UDCI:::Darbee DVP 5000
Martin Logan Stage(c)::::ML Aerius I(l/r)::::ML Motion FX(s)::::ML Scripts(sb)
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
post #13233 of 29820 Old 08-13-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadec22 View Post
Good stuff, but I was more speaking just to the actual calibration and how it adjust the curves.
I'd wager, unless something goes wrong during measurements, that Audyssey will always be an improvement over no correction at all.
post #13234 of 29820 Old 08-13-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4325 Post(s)
Liked: 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
I've spent around 40 - 50 man hours changing everything from phase, to sub amp gain, to AVR sub gain, to the settings listed. All at different times and with different content.
Wuss.

ahblaza and basshead81 like this.
post #13235 of 29820 Old 08-13-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
XV15SEs

Just wanted to let all know that I sent my four XV15SEs back Monday morning and Jim said they were all sold by Tuesday evening, somebody got a really good deal on my subs as they were practically out of box, seriously. The XV15SEs must be selling like hot cakes. So far so good with the XS30SEs, still working to get the ideal sound.
Just a quick question, anybody have good results with gain matching their subs by placing in the middle of room away from all boundaries and mic (SPL) 2-3" from center of driver and repeating with the rest of your subs in the exact same position as the first one measured? I've been reading a lot of good results with this method or is level matching the preferred method. TIA
Cheers Jeff
post #13236 of 29820 Old 08-13-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I prefer gain matching (as you know).
post #13237 of 29820 Old 08-13-2014, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Wuss.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #13238 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Just wanted to let all know that I sent my four XV15SEs back Monday morning and Jim said they were all sold by Tuesday evening, somebody got a really good deal on my subs as they were practically out of box, seriously. The XV15SEs must be selling like hot cakes. So far so good with the XS30SEs, still working to get the ideal sound.
Just a quick question, anybody have good results with gain matching their subs by placing in the middle of room away from all boundaries and mic (SPL) 2-3" from center of driver and repeating with the rest of your subs in the exact same position as the first one measured? I've been reading a lot of good results with this method or is level matching the preferred method. TIA
Cheers Jeff

Hi -

I think I am solely dependent now on your observation or kind of review or comparison between XS30SE & XV15SE.. but it might be hard for you too.. as you had 4 15SE's.. how many 30SE's did you get ?

I was earlier straight away going for XS30SEs... but seems like many people from this thread.. if I am getting it correctly have got XV15SE.. and its multiples.. either the SE or the prior version...

I am unable to decide which one to get either XS30SE or XV15SE .... if I get XV15SE .. I will certainly have to get another one soon ... I was going for XS30SE.. thinking it would not make me upgrade anytime sooner.. may be at the very end of the first year to get the discount.. but again it is a lot of money...

decisions.. please help me out.. guys.. Thanks
post #13239 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Right now its frees hipping both ways, get an xv15 and if your not happy send it back and get the xv30. cant really lose like that
post #13240 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 360
also, go the PSA site and chat online with, Tom, ive never not found him there between 10-6 7 days a week
audiofan1 likes this.
post #13241 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post
Hi -

I think I am solely dependent now on your observation or kind of review or comparison between XS30SE & XV15SE.. but it might be hard for you too.. as you had 4 15SE's.. how many 30SE's did you get ?

I was earlier straight away going for XS30SEs... but seems like many people from this thread.. if I am getting it correctly have got XV15SE.. and its multiples.. either the SE or the prior version...

I am unable to decide which one to get either XS30SE or XV15SE .... if I get XV15SE .. I will certainly have to get another one soon ... I was going for XS30SE.. thinking it would not make me upgrade anytime sooner.. may be at the very end of the first year to get the discount.. but again it is a lot of money...

decisions.. please help me out.. guys.. Thanks
Obviously many prefer the ported subs here, myself I was spoiled with the Triax and have been chasing that sound and extension ever since so I went with the XS30SEs. It is dependent on your room size and how you listen, do you do HT or music or both. I have found with the SE version drivers even in the ported designs to do very well with music and HT. Like I said I sent my four XV15SEs back on Monday and they were all sold by Tuesday. I don't think there is a better value out there than the XV15SE and yes I prefer the SE version driver and amp tweak (more power). You really can't go wrong with either the XV15SE or the XV30SE especially with free shipping both ways, if you're like the rest of us lunatics here you will get a second sub no matter what you buy, be it sealed or vented. Tom or Jim can really help you decide, just try the chat feature. The XS30SE has it's advantages in the lower end and will have more output down low as well and more output than a single XV15SE, but believe me the XV15Se is no slouch when it comes to output. I didn't need four XV15SEs, I ended up stacking them in each corner for the best sound and output, unbelievable, but it just defeated the purpose of having quad subs, this was like having duals on steroids and I didn't like the appearance. I have at least two XS30SEs right now and will leave it at that, and I am thrilled so far with them. Just chat with Tom, like I said he will take care of you, you may want to start with with dual XS15SEs, these are hidden gems. Hope this helps.
Cheers Jeff
post #13242 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 813
^^^^

I would think the XV15se has the advantage 16-30hz, but above 30hz and below 16 the edge would go to the XS30se. If one really favors movies over music that 16-30hz is pretty important.
Billy p and ahblaza like this.

Display - LG 65EF9500
Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Klipsch RF-82 II's, RC-62 II, RB-61 II's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #13243 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I prefer gain matching (as you know).
I'm going to do the gain matching today Alan, according to Craig John I should do one driver on each sub with meter about 2-3" away and try to achieve a reading of 88dB for one driver of each sub placed in the exact same spot as the first. Then when put into position hopefully achieve an output of 72-78dB from each sub, if not repeat process until I do, then run a quick Audyssey one mic spot to achieve a -3 to 8dB and then run full auto calibration. Sound right to you. Right now I have them all level matched and really happy with results but I know I can do better and intend to do so. They are running too hot right now according to Audyssey quick start, I'm getting -13 on the sub trims, it's pretty amazing how accurate Audyssey can be with distances and levels, should have used this capability a lot sooner
Cheers my friend, Jeffrey
post #13244 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
also, go the PSA site and chat online with, Tom, ive never not found him there between 10-6 7 days a week
Quote:
Obviously many prefer the ported subs here, myself I was spoiled with the Triax and have been chasing that sound and extension ever since so I went with the XS30SEs. It is dependent on your room size and how you listen, do you do HT or music or both. I have found with the SE version drivers even in the ported designs to do very well with music and HT. Like I said I sent my four XV15SEs back on Monday and they were all sold by Tuesday. I don't think there is a better value out there than the XV15SE and yes I prefer the SE version driver and amp tweak (more power). You really can't go wrong with either the XV15SE or the XV30SE especially with free shipping both ways, if you're like the rest of us lunatics here you will get a second sub no matter what you buy, be it sealed or vented. Tom or Jim can really help you decide, just try the chat feature. The XS30SE has it's advantages in the lower end and will have more output down low as well and more output than a single XV15SE, but believe me the XV15Se is no slouch when it comes to output. I didn't need four XV15SEs, I ended up stacking them in each corner for the best sound and output, unbelievable, but it just defeated the purpose of having quad subs, this was like having duals on steroids and I didn't like the appearance. I have at least two XS30SEs right now and will leave it at that, and I am thrilled so far with them. Just chat with Tom, like I said he will take care of you, you may want to start with with dual XS15SEs, these are hidden gems. Hope this helps.
Cheers Jeff

Thanks guys... I think I have to try it out like you are suggesting..

I agree Jeff .. that we will end up getting another sub down the road.. no matter what it is..

just curious.. as many people are trying out subs.. and some may be even returning it.. does it mean we will be getting a used sub ? and it can also have some cosmetic usage ? or is it that our professional PSA team will make it new again and send it out to the new buyer... just curious...

Thanks
ahblaza likes this.
post #13245 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Does anyone know when Ricci will be reviewing the XS30se and XV15se? I thought it was supposed to be sometime in the near future?

Display - LG 65EF9500
Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Klipsch RF-82 II's, RC-62 II, RB-61 II's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #13246 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks guys... I think I have to try it out like you are suggesting..

I agree Jeff .. that we will end up getting another sub down the road.. no matter what it is..

just curious.. as many people are trying out subs.. and some may be even returning it.. does it mean we will be getting a used sub ? and it can also have some cosmetic usage ? or is it that our professional PSA team will make it new again and send it out to the new buyer... just curious...

Thanks

You will not be getting a used sub unless you buy one from the Outlet Center, these are usually returned subs, so rest assured you will be getting new. Mine were sold in one day as B-Stock.
post #13247 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
You will not be getting a used sub unless you buy one from the Outlet Center, these are usually returned subs, so rest assured you will be getting new. Mine were sold in one day as B-Stock.

Thanks..got the same answer from Tom.. seems like a stupid question from me..
post #13248 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks..got the same answer from Tom.. seems like a stupid question from me..
There are no stupid questions here my friend, just uninformed ones, did Tom give you any advice on which route to take?
post #13249 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm going to do the gain matching today Alan, according to Craig John I should do one driver on each sub with meter about 2-3" away and try to achieve a reading of 88dB for one driver of each sub placed in the exact same spot as the first. Then when put into position hopefully achieve an output of 72-78dB from each sub, if not repeat process until I do, then run a quick Audyssey one mic spot to achieve a -3 to 8dB and then run full auto calibration. Sound right to you. Right now I have them all level matched and really happy with results but I know I can do better and intend to do so. They are running too hot right now according to Audyssey quick start, I'm getting -13 on the sub trims, it's pretty amazing how accurate Audyssey can be with distances and levels, should have used this capability a lot sooner
Cheers my friend, Jeffrey
Yup, that is the correct procedure for gain matching.

Yup, Audyssey is good.

Your Audyssey must be different than mine (XT). The lower limit on mine is -12db.

Why do you refuse to tell us how many 30s you got?? We won't tease you anymore....I swear.
post #13250 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Cheers Jeff
Yeah, so what's with the secret about how many XS30se's you bought? Spill the beans!

I'm also curious, if you've been chasing the Triax sub sound, why did you get rid of it in the first place? I'm enjoying my Triax as I type this.
basshead81 likes this.
post #13251 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
Does anyone know when Ricci will be reviewing the XS30se and XV15se? I thought it was supposed to be sometime in the near future?
By summers end is the last I heard which btw is September 21st. So we have some time yet
post #13252 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Yeah, so what's with the secret about how many XS30se's you bought? Spill the beans!

I'm also curious, if you've been chasing the Triax sub sound, why did you get rid of it in the first place? I'm enjoying my Triax as I type this.

I believe the response with a single Triax was not the greatest even tho the sub was a beast. Jeffery wanted to go with multiples to see if the response was improved. He found out that duals work the best in his room with his layout. So instead of quad XV15se, he traded for Dual XS30se. Still has 4 15" drivers and deeper extension.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13253 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
]

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I believe the response with a single Triax was not the greatest even tho the sub was a beast. Jeffery wanted to go with multiples to see if the response was improved. He found out that duals work the best in his room with his layout. So instead of quad XV15se, he traded for Dual XS30se. Still has 4 15" drivers and deeper extension.
Ah....I see.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13254 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Man the old "official Triax" thread sure died off.
And I haven't seen blackmamba post for a while too now that I think about it.
post #13255 of 29820 Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 2954
^^ You're starting to scare me, Joe. Like you, I'm still very bummed about Steve. So if blackmamba sees this, drop in and say hi!
post #13256 of 29820 Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

BH hit the nail on the head, I have two XS30SEs now with one other waiting in the cart to place behind the MLP, I want to get these two dialed as best I can and decide this is what I want and will get the third or just bite the bullet and get dual Triaxs, return shipping is free on the XS30s and I only live a hour away. By the way the last time I talked to Robert (BlackMam) was June 6th, we PM'd a lot and I just sent him one now to see what's happening and that we are all asking about him, so as I know something I will let all know, I pray he's OK, he's a really good guy, fun to talk too as well, thanks for bringing his name up, it's been over 2 months since I heard from him. I hope he's working a lot or listening to his PSA subs and new Klipsch speakers.
Cheers Jeff...............good call BH
dsrussell likes this.
post #13257 of 29820 Old 08-15-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 795
The XV15se that I only had for 4 days is now up on the PSA site outlet center. In case somebody wants to save some money on a basically new sub.
post #13258 of 29820 Old 08-15-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

My four never made it to the outlet center, they must have a list of people waiting for B-Stock. Just talked with Jim and I'm considering getting the third Monday with the thirty day trial and free shipping I have nothing to lose except my marriage I have to give it a shot, I'll know right away if it's going to work behind the MLP now that I have some set up skills
Cheers Jeff
PS: Nothing from BlackMam yet
post #13259 of 29820 Old 08-16-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 4205
Quote:
My four never made it to the outlet center, they must have a list of people waiting for B-Stock. Just talked with Jim and I'm considering getting the third Monday with the thirty day trial and free shipping I have nothing to lose except my marriage I have to give it a shot, I'll know right away if it's going to work behind the MLP now that I have some set up skills
Cheers Jeff
PS: Nothing from BlackMam yet
We don't do waiting lists as outlet center items tend to be very sporadic...even with our "free shipping" both ways promotion. It really ends up being "the luck of timing". In chat/email or phone call if someone asks about the availability of a B-stock I can let them know we have one(or more) being examined to ensure 100% performance and to check for any visible blemishes. At that time they often choose to purchase the b-stock unit before we even have a chance to put it up on the website.

Who knows, we may see Jeff's XS30se subs popping up in the outlet center in the future too..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.
post #13260 of 29820 Old 08-16-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
The XV15se that I only had for 4 days is now up on the PSA site outlet center. In case somebody wants to save some money on a basically new sub.
You sent the XV15se back after only 4 days of demo? Now I see in another thread you are contemplating a EX-1 or VTF-3 in place of the XV? What was wrong with the PSA sub? If I recall correctly you were posting here about setup issues but never responded to half of the PSA members advice they offered. Then you said Tom could not help you and that was the last I heard anything.
ahblaza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page