Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 444 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 20147Likes

post #13291 of 29820 Old 08-20-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post
Thanks for the tip hope to get to it soon. The scene in World War Z is around the 1 hour 5 minute mark and it is the second grenade going off with a shock wave effect. Great demo material.
Well I"m picking up World War Z today to see how it sound with my dual XS30SEs, will let you know. Still haven't decided on the third yet, maybe after today (post WWZ) I will decide to get the 3rd
Cheers Jeff

Since we've been talking about our misses I thought I would share a pic of me and her by changing my avatar. Enjoy, she is my best friend and never gives me any slack about what I do when it comes to this crazy hobby of ours, I surely enjoy her.
Billy p and dsrussell like this.

Last edited by ahblaza; 08-20-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13292 of 29820 Old 08-20-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4325 Post(s)
Liked: 3006
Hey ahblaza, I recently started a thread looking for placement advice and got a bunch of great tips to help make my multiple subs really sound great. Though you might want to check it out!

Placement Advice
ahblaza likes this.
post #13293 of 29820 Old 08-20-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Guys just a heads up PSA is now offering miniDSP products

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/blogs...61-psa-minidsp

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/accessories
Alan P and dsrussell like this.

ShaunH
post #13294 of 29820 Old 08-20-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, what plug in do you use with this device and mic, is PSA including a power supply for the mini DSP as well? With this particular unit what can be measured, just subs or all your subs and speakers, excuse my ignorance.
Cheers Jeff
post #13295 of 29820 Old 08-20-2014, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

wow that really cool.... will Tom V be giving out instructions with purchases?
post #13296 of 29820 Old 08-20-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey guys, what plug in do you use with this device and mic, is PSA including a power supply for the mini DSP as well? With this particular unit what can be measured, just subs or all your subs and speakers, excuse my ignorance.
Cheers Jeff
2.1 advanced revision B.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13297 of 29820 Old 08-20-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So I have been hearing this odd sound when watching TV and Movies the last week or so. It almost sounds like "snow" when you change a old school tv to a station with no programming. I had a hard time pin pointing it because my subs blend so well it actually sounded like the noise was coming from my surround speakers. So 1 by one I turn off each sub and finally the noise goes away. Well it ended up being the sub furthest away from my LP mid wall(talk about no localization lol). I unplugged the Cable from the input and it went away. Then I plugged it into right instead of lfe and it went away then came back. So I powered it off for a few minutes and turned it back on with the cable plugged back into the LFE in and now it sounds fine?
ahblaza likes this.
post #13298 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
So I have been hearing this odd sound when watching TV and Movies the last week or so. It almost sounds like "snow" when you change a old school tv to a station with no programming. I had a hard time pin pointing it because my subs blend so well it actually sounded like the noise was coming from my surround speakers. So 1 by one I turn off each sub and finally the noise goes away. Well it ended up being the sub furthest away from my LP mid wall(talk about no localization lol). I unplugged the Cable from the input and it went away. Then I plugged it into right instead of lfe and it went away then came back. So I powered it off for a few minutes and turned it back on with the cable plugged back into the LFE in and now it sounds fine?
Get rid of your old tube TV man...

It may have been a fluke. One way to know if it was your AVR or your sub amp would be to change inputs on the AVR or turn it off and see if the noise remains constant (if it ever happens again). Audio amplifier DSPs, DACs, HDMI DSP boards all have a susceptibility to interference and, at times, can do some weird things when dealing with digital signals. If they get confused by a random string of data, they can sometimes make the noises you mentioned. The odd thing is that it was only one sub. That pretty much eliminates all of the other items in the chain except for the cable and the sub itself.
ahblaza likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #13299 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
First thing I'd suspect is the cable and/or splitter. You don't currently have your MiniDSP in the chain, right?
post #13300 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
First thing I'd suspect is the cable and/or splitter. You don't currently have your MiniDSP in the chain, right?
No mini dsp in the chain. The other sub does not do it and it is running off the same wireless device and splitter. Only thing it might be is the cable from the y to the sub. However I Fired it up this morning and everything was fine lol.
post #13301 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...it is running off the same wireless device and splitter. Only thing it might be is the cable from the y to the sub.
I would guess that the wireless device received a weak or corrupted signal. That or the wireless converter circuitry probably got "confused" with the wireless digital signal.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #13302 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No mini dsp in the chain. The other sub does not do it and it is running off the same wireless device and splitter. Only thing it might be is the cable from the y to the sub. However I Fired it up this morning and everything was fine lol.
BH, Jim said that he would be willing to help as much as possible with the miniDSP and UMIK + REW, but I know how experienced you are my friend so I hope you don't mind a ton of PM's concerning the subject matter, maybe phone calls as well. Especially when I get my new speakers. My laptop died today so I need to get a new one, I just wanted to know since my desktop is in the same area as my setup if I could move it right behind the MLP (temporary) to run the REW program and use the miniDSP and UMIK, yes or no? Plug in 2.1 advanced revision B, correct? I think I still have a PM from you with all the accessories I need to go with this measuring system, cables and adapters etc. TIA
Cheers Jeff
post #13303 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Rew

BH, I'm sorry I got you confused with bear 123, we PM'd a lot about this REW and miniDSP and UMIK and all accessories, so I'll just add him to list as well whom I will be driving crazy with all this measuring stuff. I'm telling you both up front I know nothing about any of this, I have been reading a lot, I think I know what to download first and so forth, I THINK. I'm not buying anything until I at least get REW downloaded and any programs I need to get started. That in it's self is going to be a chore, I'm that inexperienced with programs and downloading stuff, I'm not ashamed to admit it, so I expect you guys to be very considerate of that fact and don't laugh at my stupid questions which will be many
Cheers Jeff
post #13304 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 203
OK everybody, I was considering moving from my dual XS30s to a FV15HP. I felt I was missing that hard hitting chest thump. I was convinced by several people, basshead was one of them, to buy a UMIK and use REW. So I did that first and here is what I got. I don't even know how to export a graph so here are some pics. There is a link of my HT in my sig block.

This was done from basically calibrating the SPL in REW and then hitting measure. My receiver was set on -20.

So, where do I go from here?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side of MLP.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	222809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Side of MLP.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	222817  

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #13305 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

P.S. I will be out for about the next hour, of all nights for my UMIK to come in, it's the same day my mother in law flew in for my daughters bridal shower and I have to pick her up. Any pointers to try when I come back would be great.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #13306 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
OK everybody, I was considering moving from my dual XS30s to a FV15HP. I felt I was missing that hard hitting chest thump. I was convinced by several people, basshead was one of them, to buy a UMIK and use REW. So I did that first and here is what I got. I don't even know how to export a graph so here are some pics. There is a link of my HT in my sig block.

This was done from basically calibrating the SPL in REW and then hitting measure. My receiver was set on -20.

Thanks,
Looks like you are defiantly missing bass in the 60-90hz region.

Can you move the subs at all?

Did you try the Audyssey sub distance tweak?

I don't think this has anything to do with the sub, but everything to do with your room/placement.
post #13307 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Lowell, did you read the awesome Users Guide?

To export a screenshot of the graph just click on the little icon in the upper left that looks like a camera and says "Capture".

We need to see more than your waterfall graphs. I suggest you read the guide, take some more measurements and post them up with the correct settings. Then we'll be able to help you better.
post #13308 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 163
The large dip from 65Hz to 100Hz is preventing that hard hitting chest thump.

Are you measuring just the subwoofers or are the mains also on? You either have a large room induced null or the subs are out of phase with the mains. If the mains were running, try rotating the phase control 180deg from where they are now.

Jim Farina
Power Sound Audio
post #13309 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Thanks,

Looks like the Cumberland Gap...
post #13310 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Lowell, did you read the awesome Users Guide?

To export a screenshot of the graph just click on the little icon in the upper left that looks like a camera and says "Capture".

We need to see more than your waterfall graphs. I suggest you read the guide, take some more measurements and post them up with the correct settings. Then we'll be able to help you better.

I am guy, of course I didn't read the guide. OK, I will read it.

Lowell

post #13311 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Looks like you are defiantly missing bass in the 60-90hz region.

Can you move the subs at all?

Did you try the Audyssey sub distance tweak?

I don't think this has anything to do with the sub, but everything to do with your room/placement.

What is the audyssey sub tweak..

Lowell

post #13312 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Farina View Post
The large dip from 65Hz to 100Hz is preventing that hard hitting chest thump.

Are you measuring just the subwoofers or are the mains also on? You either have a large room induced null or the subs are out of phase with the mains. If the mains were running, try rotating the phase control 180deg from where they are now.

Since I have the subs with the crossover set to 100Hz, would that matter?

Lowell

post #13313 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since I have the subs with the crossover set to 100Hz, would that matter?
Yes. The crossover for your mains is most likely causing phase cancellation of the subs. Try changing the crossover to 80 then re-measure. Then try 120 and re-measure. If the dip changes accordingly, that is your culprit.
post #13314 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What is the audyssey sub tweak..
It is a procedure for integrated your sub and mains better. Really smoothed out my graph around the crossover setting.

It used to be an article that you could download from here but since the "upgrade" I can no longer find it. I have it saved as a PDF and will try to attach it here.

Edit, it is too large to attach.

PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
post #13315 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
It is a procedure for integrated your sub and mains better. Really smoothed out my graph around the crossover setting.

It used to be an article that you could download from here but since the "upgrade" I can no longer find it. I have it saved as a PDF and will try to attach it here.

Edit, it is too large to attach.

PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Found the link

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/redire...t%25202013.pdf

JTR (3 215 RT, 5 212HTR, 2 Growlers, 4 S2's)
PSA (4 Triax's)
DIY Sound Group (4 Volt 8's in Slanted boxes, 3 Volt 8's in Ported boxes)
SVS (2 SB13+ and one SB12-NSD)

Last edited by raynist; 08-21-2014 at 09:20 PM.
post #13316 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Yes. The crossover for your mains is most likely causing phase cancellation of the subs. Try changing the crossover to 80 then re-measure. Then try 120 and re-measure. If the dip changes accordingly, that is your culprit.
OK, I set my crossovers at 80, 100, 120 and 150. Here they are.

So do I change my sub position or what?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	co at 80.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	222953   Click image for larger version

Name:	co at 150.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	222961   Click image for larger version

Name:	co at 120.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	222969   Click image for larger version

Name:	co at 100.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	222977  

Lowell

post #13317 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
OK, I set my crossovers at 80, 100, 120 and 150. Here they are.

So do I change my sub position or what?
What did you change between these graphs and the first you posted? There is no null present on these graphs, but the first graph you posted was a grand canyon size null...had to of sounded terrible!!
post #13318 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What did you change between these graphs and the first you posted? There is no null present on these graphs, but the first graph you posted was a grand canyon size null...had to of sounded terrible!!

For some reason I didn't set my receiver back to small for my mains, they were at large. All the ones after had the mains at small.

Sent you a PM with the following.

How do you eliminate it. I have moved the subs closer together on each side of the CC, then right next to each other for 1 giant sub in the front left, and now I just tried front left and rear right. All changes in that order. It all got progressively worse in that range. I have several charts posted in the PSA forum.

Lowell

post #13319 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you are trying to get rid of the dip when the mains are set Large, I would reverse the phase 180 degress on both of your subs and remeasure.

Also we need some normal graphs with the proper axis. 5db incriments on the verticle and 15-200hz on the horizontal.
post #13320 of 29820 Old 08-21-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you are trying to get rid of the dip when the mains are set Large, I would reverse the phase 180 degress on both of your subs and remeasure.

Also we need some normal graphs with the proper axis. 5db incriments on the verticle and 15-200hz on the horizontal.

I am fine with the mains set to small. which selection on REW for the graphs you are talking about? Also, gotta spend time with company right now. I will pick up tomorrow.

Thanks,

Lowell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page