post #13411 of 14435 Old 08-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post
ahblaza did you get a chance to play the grenade scene from WWZ yet? Just curious.

yes I did, I couldn't believe the rush of air that hit me, too bad it was so short, I wasn't expecting that at all, thanks for the heads up

j_nordi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13412 of 14435 Old 08-23-2014, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Definitely not. That is a lot of money to pay for something with minimal gain. Besides, SUBEQ HT doesn't correct each sub separately. It applies time delay and level settings separately for each sub, but it applies the correction filters to both subs as one. You could get a MiniDSP that will give you a lot of flexibility for each sub separately for $155. You would achieve MUCH better results with the MiniDSP option.

If you want a new receiver to get ATMOS or for some other reason, then you will be limited to Denon or Marantz to get XT32 and IIRC, they both have the SUBEQ HT feature included. So that would make sense, but not purchasing one just to gain SUBEQ HT.
That's why I asked, so a receiver with XT32 is worth it then, I guess it's much better than XT correct. With the new speakers I don't think I will need much power so I'm thinking of selling my outboard amps and getting a decent receiver with beefy amp section and AudysseyXT32, sound good or just stick with XT and REW and a miniDSP and mic?

j_nordi
post #13413 of 14435 Old 08-23-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
That's why I asked, so a receiver with XT32 is worth it then, I guess it's much better than XT correct. With the new speakers I don't think I will need much power so I'm thinking of selling my outboard amps and getting a decent receiver with beefy amp section and AudysseyXT32, sound good or just stick with XT and REW and a miniDSP and mic?

Sorry about that, I skimmed over the XT part. I thought you had XT32. YES, XT32 is a HUGE improvement then. You will be very pleased with the upgrade. If you don't care about ATMOS, you could get a leftover Denon X4000 for a pretty good price. The Denon has SUBEQ HT also.

The difference between XT and XT32:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XT32.png
Views:	241
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	226457  
post #13414 of 14435 Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Sorry about that, I skimmed over the XT part. I thought you had XT32. YES, XT32 is a HUGE improvement then. You will be very pleased with the upgrade. If you don't care about ATMOS, you could get a leftover Denon X4000 for a pretty good price. The Denon has SUBEQ HT also.

The difference between XT and XT32:

Didn't know there was that much of a difference between the two, not familiar with Denon, had real good luck with Onkyo though, I was looking at a TX-NR1010, I could get it for $995. It has everything as well XT32 and SUBEQ. Thanks for the heads up with Audyssey XT and XT32.

j_nordi
post #13415 of 14435 Old 08-23-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
I'm really starting to be concerned as I still haven't heard from BlackMam, anybody know anything?
Cheers Jeff
I'm pretty sure Tom has it right. Like me, Blackmamba works in the oil/gas field, 15+ hour days sometimes 10-15 days straight with no days off. Work, eat, sleep, rinse repeat.
ahblaza likes this.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #13416 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade from my current sub (SVS PB12 NSD) to either the RA PV15X with 1000w amp or the PSA XV15Se. It will be for 80% movies and 20% music.

My basement theatre room is about 20x25x8 and opens up into a hallway.

I'm leaning towards the RA but there is no data yet and also very limited user feedback.

Just looking for some advice....thanks!
post #13417 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Watched "Ender's Game" last night........yikes!!!! I thought my Triax was going to blow my house apart!

Thank goodness the neighbors were having a party last night, so they really couldn't complain about all the noise coming from our house.

It's obvious I've not yet realized what my Triax can do.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13418 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound888 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade from my current sub (SVS PB12 NSD) to either the RA PV15X with 1000w amp or the PSA XV15Se. It will be for 80% movies and 20% music.

My basement theatre room is about 20x25x8 and opens up into a hallway.

I'm leaning towards the RA but there is no data yet and also very limited user feedback.

Just looking for some advice....thanks!
I would hold off until we get data for the PV15X(should be soon). On paper it looks like it should outperform the XV15se being it has more power, a great driver, and significantly bigger enclosure.

That being said I still like the XV15se, being it's downfiring...this will allow more placement options to maximize the performance and response. Lets face it, there will be far less places in a room to place a elongated side firing 15" sub. I do like everything I see about the PV15X component wise, but I am not a fan of the enclosure design.

Last edited by basshead81; 08-24-2014 at 08:39 AM.
post #13419 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Official Power Sound Audio Thread

^^that. +1 have you looked at Rythmik also they are at the top of my list right now along with PSA and RA.

Sent from my iPhone using TheChive - KCCO!
post #13420 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Watched "Ender's Game" last night........yikes!!!! I thought my Triax was going to blow my house apart!

Thank goodness the neighbors were having a party last night, so they really couldn't complain about all the noise coming from our house.

It's obvious I've not yet realized what my Triax can do.
Yeah, those rocket launch scenes scare me with the dual XV15se subwoofers. My neighbors were hootin' and hollerin' last night too so I cranked up some tunes with all of my windows open. You could hear the music from my system down at the end of the street 10 houses away. Heck, I think they were enjoying my music. LOL

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #13421 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Yeah, those rocket launch scenes scare me with the dual XV15se subwoofers. My neighbors were hootin' and hollerin' last night too so I cranked up some tunes with all of my windows open. You could hear the music from my system down at the end of the street 10 houses away. Heck, I think they were enjoying my music. LOL
I have been tweaking my dual xv15se's lately and have to say, they are more powerful than I realized (and I was already astounded). Just changing the phase made a big difference, and then I upped the crossover to 100 (previously at 80), and I am LOVING the results. I guess the xv15se is more capable in the 80-100hz range than my polk rti a5 fronts.
ahblaza and climber07 like this.
post #13422 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I would hold off until we get data for the PV15X(should be soon). On paper it looks like it should outperform the XV15se being it has more power, a great driver, and significantly bigger enclosure.

That being said I still like the XV15se, being it's downfiring...this will allow more placement options to maximize the performance and response. Lets face it, there will be far less places in a room to place a elongated side firing 15" sub. I do like everything I see about the PV15X component wise, but I am not a fan of the enclosure design.
+1. I already responded on the RA thread, but I think you (Hound888) should go in the PSA website and chat with Tom. To say he is awesome is an under statement. I too was on the fence with rythmik, RA, and even toyed with jumping up to the leagues of JTR. All have good customer service, but PSA is hands down the best I have experienced (I traded up from dual svs pb12-nsd's). They really place a premium on customer service, even more so than the vaunted SVS.
post #13423 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks guys, I'll have to give both Tom and Jeremy a call and see what they have to say.
post #13424 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

there is a big difference in the enclosure s psa is 1 inch mdf and the other is only .75in the warranty is weaker as well..

cheers
ahblaza likes this.
post #13425 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
I have been tweaking my dual xv15se's lately and have to say, they are more powerful than I realized (and I was already astounded). Just changing the phase made a big difference, and then I upped the crossover to 100 (previously at 80), and I am LOVING the results. I guess the xv15se is more capable in the 80-100hz range than my polk rti a5 fronts.
Hey R, could you be more specific when you say you changed the phase and it made a significant difference, just curious my friend. I'm going with the understanding that the object of tweaking the phase controls is to increase output at the MLP but I realize there's more to it than that, so please if you don't mind let me know what you did that made that much of a difference, I know you have ported and I have sealed but the same should apply to both, correct? TIA
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #13426 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, I'm still waiting on the question as to get a new receiver with XT32 or keep my XT capable receiver and stick with REW and the miniDSP and UMIK. I'm really leaning towards Onkyo as I've owned them for many years even when they were made in Japan. I still have a very functional Onkyo 702 that is flawless. The reason I'm hesitating as it will still be used as a preamp or pre-pro unless I sell off all my amps. I know a lot of folks are not to keen on Onkyo but I have never had a problem with any of mine. I'm looking at the 929 and 1010 both have XT32 and are in the $900 range. TIA
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #13427 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Hey R, could you be more specific when you say you changed the phase and it made a significant difference, just curious my friend. I'm going with the understanding that the object of tweaking the phase controls is to increase output at the MLP but I realize there's more to it than that, so please if you don't mind let me know what you did that made that much of a difference, I know you have ported and I have sealed but the same should apply to both, correct? TIA
Cheers Jeff
You hit the nail right on the head pretty much. The output increased noticeably, but also things are even more well aligned now. I didn't realize before but the bass was slightly lagging behind some of the other notes... Now that everything is more in phase the power and cleanliness took a large step forward. All I did for now was fully reverse the phase 180 degrees. Maybe later I will stop being lazy and experiment with optimizing it - the xv15se does offer variability everywhere from 0-180 after all

Oh and yes, sealed and ported should behave similarly in regards to phase matching I believe. I bet those xs30se's are really opening up with all the new toys you are stock piling over there. I might have to join the party soon with REW and minidsp.

Last edited by FattyMcButterPants; 08-24-2014 at 12:35 PM.
post #13428 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You hit the nail right on the head pretty much. The output increased noticeably, but also things are even more well aligned now. I didn't realize before but the bass was slightly lagging behind some of the other notes... Now that everything is more in phase the power and cleanliness took a large step forward. All I did for now was fully reverse the phase 180 degrees. Maybe later I will stop being lazy and experiment with optimizing it - the xv15se does offer variability everywhere from 0-180 after all

Oh and yes, sealed and ported should behave similarly in regards to phase matching I believe. I bet those xs30se's are really opening up with all the new toys you are stock piling over there. I might have to join the party soon with REW and minidsp.
I'm not at the party yet, waiting on my new laptop and miniDSP and UMIK. Did you reverse the phase on both your subs or just one? TIA
Jeff

j_nordi
post #13429 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm still waiting on the question as to get a new receiver with XT32 or keep my XT capable receiver and stick with REW and the miniDSP and UMIK. I'm really leaning towards Onkyo as I've owned them for many years even when they were made in Japan. I still have a very functional Onkyo 702 that is flawless. The reason I'm hesitating as it will still be used as a preamp or pre-pro unless I sell off all my amps. I know a lot of folks are not to keen on Onkyo but I have never had a problem with any of mine. I'm looking at the 929 and 1010 both have XT32 and are in the $900 range. TIA
Cheers Jeff
Yeah, the members around here have a pretty strong affinity for Denon it seems, and for good reason. I've had several onkyo receivers and loved them all - I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Right now I have a pioneer elite sc35 that I absolutely love, but I do wish I had audessy... Things like this typically come down to personal preferences, which is why I think people aren't chiming in. Each brand has it's own acoustical signature, so I believe the general rule is if your brand has all the features you want, then stick with it unless you want to try something new.
ahblaza likes this.

Last edited by FattyMcButterPants; 08-24-2014 at 01:00 PM.
post #13430 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I'm not at the party yet, waiting on my new laptop and miniDSP and UMIK. Did you reverse the phase on both your subs or just one? TIA
Jeff

you wont be sorry, the miniDSP did wonders for me. I still have room issues that wont be corrected until I get my dedicated room set up. as it sits now I couldn't be happier, until of course I get the 2nd xv15se at the end of the year.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13431 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

2 way or 4 way

Couple of questions, my new laptop which will be here soon has HDMI, after reading some info on the miniDSP site it says to use the HDMI output of your laptop, how do I know if this is an input or an output. Also the laptop is Vista 8.1, is this compatible with REW and miniDSP. One more, with a 2 way you can measure dual subs what happens if you decide on getting more than two subs, would I need a four way? Shows how much I know Sorry for the dumb questions, I want to try and get a grasp on this stuff before my tools arrive.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #13432 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, the members around here have a pretty strong affinity for Denon it seems, and for good reason. I've had several onkyo receivers and loved them all - I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Right now I have a pioneer elite sc35 that I absolutely love, but I do wish I had audessy... Things like this typically come down to personal preferences, which is why I think people aren't chiming in. Each brand has it's own acoustical signature, so I believe the general rule is if your brand has all the features you want, then stick with it unless you want to try something new.
I'm not against Denon as I would be using only as a preamp and taking advantage of the XT32, I've heard the 4000 is decent but the higher end receivers pack a lot of amp punch in case I decided to use the receiver for more than a preamp. Well did you change the phase on both subs or just one?
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #13433 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
I got the smoothest response crossing over to my Triax at 120hz. At first I was concerned about localization crossing over that high, but it didn't turn out to be a problem.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13434 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Download

Guys, is this what I need to download REW and get started, post #12 in this thread, all three files?
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...support-2.html

Thanks so much, Jeff

j_nordi
post #13435 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not against Denon as I would be using only as a preamp and taking advantage of the XT32, I've heard the 4000 is decent but the higher end receivers pack a lot of amp punch in case I decided to use the receiver for more than a preamp. Well did you change the phase on both subs or just one?
Cheers Jeff
Sorry man, somehow I missed that the first time around. I switched the phase on both subs since they only sit like 8-10 ft apart. Figured they should behave pretty darn similarly in this setup but I will mess with things one day and see what I get
ahblaza likes this.
post #13436 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post
there is a big difference in the enclosure s psa is 1 inch mdf and the other is only .75in the warranty is weaker as well..

cheers
Did not know RA only used 3/4". Might not be a big issue if lots of bracing is used. Thx for pointing that out!!
ahblaza likes this.
post #13437 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Did not know RA only used 3/4". Might not be a big issue if lots of bracing is used. Thx for pointing that out!!
Our 15" cabinets are heavily internally braced and have 2" thick baffles on the 15" versions, 1.5" inch on the 12" models.

The 15s are recessed 1" into the cabinet and the 12s are recessed .75 inches.
basshead81 likes this.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

post #13438 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Didn't know there was that much of a difference between the two, not familiar with Denon, had real good luck with Onkyo though, I was looking at a TX-NR1010, I could get it for $995. It has everything as well XT32 and SUBEQ. Thanks for the heads up with Audyssey XT and XT32.

Onkyo is great as well. I have recommended them exclusively for the last two decades, but they have had a good amount of problems with their HDMI boards on the last few model years. The good news is, they have stepped up and released a press release saying that they are extending coverage of some of these models until 2018. If any way possible, get the serial number of the product you are thinking about buying and put it in at their site to be sure that it's covered. If not, I would highly recommend the extended warranty.

Here is the info about the coverage extension: Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018
ahblaza likes this.
post #13439 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post
Our 15" cabinets are heavily internally braced and have 2" thick baffles on the 15" versions, 1.5" inch on the 12" models.

how thick is the rest of the cab?
post #13440 of 14435 Old 08-24-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post

I understand talking about different sub makers, however, it is bad form to have a specific discussion about them on another manufacturers thread. There has to be an RA thread for this type of discussion.
ahblaza likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - 3313ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page