post #13441 of 14575 Old 08-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Onkyo is great as well. I have recommended them exclusively for the last two decades, but they have had a good amount of problems with their HDMI boards on the last few model years. The good news is, they have stepped up and released a press release saying that they are extending coverage of some of these models until 2018. If any way possible, get the serial number of the product you are thinking about buying and put it in at their site to be sure that it's covered. If not, I would highly recommend the extended warranty.

Here is the info about the coverage extension: Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018
Thanks Zeus, I just checked mine at the site and it is not defective. I have used two 200mm fans since I bought all of my Onkyo receivers drawing the heat from the top cover of chassis and no over heating issues what so ever. I really am considering the TX-NR1010 as it has everything I need and the price keeps dropping, it's a fifty pound receiver and I've always equated weight with quality, that may sound stupid to most but I like a little meat with my potatoes Thanks again for the link.

j_nordi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13442 of 14575 Old 08-24-2014, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I really am considering the TX-NR1010 as it has everything I need and the price keeps dropping,.
I have the exact AVR , it is brilliant and I highly recommend them.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13443 of 14575 Old 08-24-2014, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
I understand talking about different sub makers, however, it is bad form to have a specific discussion about them on another manufacturers thread. There has to be an RA thread for this type of discussion.
Agreed, and I only wanted to correct the info being discussed as it was brought up here.
I hope Tom and Jim don't mind as no disrespect to their thread is intended. I am quite fond of Tom (haven't talked to Jim yet) and admire their company and products greatly.

Carry on!
Billy p and ahblaza like this.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

post #13444 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I see nothing offensive. It's a forum. Most do it in a respectful way.

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
post #13445 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Nah...I have zero issues with mfgs partaking in other owners threads if there happens to be some sort of mis-information being discussed about their product in any comparison.

I'm sure Tom or Jim would do the same if something of that nature was pointed out to them.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #13446 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
I understand talking about different sub makers, however, it is bad form to have a specific discussion about them on another manufacturers thread. There has to be an RA thread for this type of discussion.
Just a few days ago we had a gentlemen who was contemplating picking up dual Rythmik FV15HP's. He currently has dual XS30's. Anyhow the conversation ended up shifting to how he could ensure his subs were dialed in properly, so that he was getting the best possible sound out of his PSA subs. Point being it was on the Rythmik thread and nobody cared or took offense. We all have the same goal at the end of the day no matter what brand of subwoofer we go with. That's to sit back and enjoy clean LFE.
cableguy301 likes this.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's

Last edited by JT78681; 08-25-2014 at 05:49 AM.
post #13447 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I would hold off until we get data for the PV15X(should be soon). On paper it looks like it should outperform the XV15se being it has more power, a great driver, and significantly bigger enclosure.

I missed this.... PV15X????

Denon X4000
Emotiva LPA-1
Epson 5020ub::::100" ES Cinewhite
PS4::::Toshiba HD-A35::::Marantz UD5007::::Darbee 5000
Martin Logan Stage center::::Martin Logan Aerius I::::Martin Logan Scripts
PSA XV15:::::PSA XV15se
post #13448 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post
Agreed, and I only wanted to correct the info being discussed as it was brought up here.
I hope Tom and Jim don't mind as no disrespect to their thread is intended. I am quite fond of Tom (haven't talked to Jim yet) and admire their company and products greatly.

Carry on!
What information did you correct? You mentioned how thick the baffle of your sub is but did not address how thick the rest of the sides were. Cableguy said .75 thick, which appears to be true. I commented that is probably just fine with the proper amount of bracing.
edgebsl likes this.
post #13449 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post

Carry on!
Jim's a great guy as well and very knowledgeable, we speak quite often, he's the quiet intelligent type
edgebsl likes this.

j_nordi
post #13450 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Download

Anybody can tell me how to download these test tones to a disc. I'm interested in Sound Test and Test Tones, thanks?
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests...ones_index.php

j_nordi
post #13451 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Hey R, could you be more specific when you say you changed the phase and it made a significant difference, just curious my friend. I'm going with the understanding that the object of tweaking the phase controls is to increase output at the MLP but I realize there's more to it than that, so please if you don't mind let me know what you did that made that much of a difference, I know you have ported and I have sealed but the same should apply to both, correct? TIA
Cheers Jeff
Since you have a MiniDSP, you should set the phase to "0" on both your subs and time-align them with the MiniDSP.

Phase only aligns the subs at one frequency, time-aligning works at all frequencies.

See this thread.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13452 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm still waiting on the question as to get a new receiver with XT32 or keep my XT capable receiver and stick with REW and the miniDSP and UMIK. I'm really leaning towards Onkyo as I've owned them for many years even when they were made in Japan. I still have a very functional Onkyo 702 that is flawless. The reason I'm hesitating as it will still be used as a preamp or pre-pro unless I sell off all my amps. I know a lot of folks are not to keen on Onkyo but I have never had a problem with any of mine. I'm looking at the 929 and 1010 both have XT32 and are in the $900 range. TIA
Cheers Jeff
Since you have the ability to set distance (delay) to your subs separately with the MiniDSP, the only thing you will gain from XT32 is the additional bass EQ filters. From all reports (I don't have 32), it's well worth it. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13453 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Couple of questions, my new laptop which will be here soon has HDMI, after reading some info on the miniDSP site it says to use the HDMI output of your laptop, how do I know if this is an input or an output. Also the laptop is Vista 8.1, is this compatible with REW and miniDSP. One more, with a 2 way you can measure dual subs what happens if you decide on getting more than two subs, would I need a four way? Shows how much I know Sorry for the dumb questions, I want to try and get a grasp on this stuff before my tools arrive.
Cheers Jeff
The HDMI on your laptop is OUT.

Vista 8.1 is fine.

You're getting the MiniDSP 2x4 with the 2-Way Advanced plug-in, correct? You can do up to 4 subs with that setup (more if you split the signal out).
ahblaza likes this.
post #13454 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm not against Denon as I would be using only as a preamp and taking advantage of the XT32, I've heard the 4000 is decent but the higher end receivers pack a lot of amp punch in case I decided to use the receiver for more than a preamp. Well did you change the phase on both subs or just one?
Cheers Jeff
Don't know what your current speakers are, but aren't you planning on getting the new PSA speakers? From what Tom said, they're going to be on the high-end as far as sensitivity goes....I say sell the amps, you won't need 'em.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13455 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Guys, is this what I need to download REW and get started, post #12 in this thread, all three files?
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...support-2.html

Thanks so much, Jeff
All you need is the Windows Installer file: REWWindowsv5.01beta22.exe.
post #13456 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Sorry man, somehow I missed that the first time around. I switched the phase on both subs since they only sit like 8-10 ft apart. Figured they should behave pretty darn similarly in this setup but I will mess with things one day and see what I get
Hmmm....if you swapped phase on both subs, you should be exactly where you started.

Adjusting the variable phase knob on the sub amp is for getting the subs in phase with each other. You should use the distance setting in your AVR to then get both subs in phase with the mains.

If both subs are roughly equidistant to the MLP, no phase adjustment should be necessary. It's only when the subs are not equidistant to the MLP that adjusting phase comes into play.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13457 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anybody can tell me how to download these test tones to a disc. I'm interested in Sound Test and Test Tones, thanks?
You do not need that if you are going to use REW being it has all the tones you could ever need.

Jeff, you really need to learn REW...seriously . I am willing to bet if you would of put the time in with it a few months ago, you could of had those quad XV15's placed around the room and sounding great. You took the easy way out by stacking them and did not like the looks. Now you are full circle. Get a plan together and stick with it already.
ahblaza and Gorilla Killa like this.
post #13458 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Hmmm....if you swapped phase on both subs, you should be exactly where you started.

Adjusting the variable phase knob on the sub amp is for getting the subs in phase with each other. You should use the distance setting in your AVR to then get both subs in phase with the mains.

If both subs are roughly equidistant to the MLP, no phase adjustment should be necessary. It's only when the subs are not equidistant to the MLP that adjusting phase comes into play.
Oh really? So then what is the point of reversing sub phase with just a single sub set up? This is a legit question as I guess I misunderstood what is happening.

Also, somehow it sounds very different, noticeably louder and more in sync. I don't think this is listening bias either since, as I mentioned before, I've messed with phase on previous subs and saw no change ever. Guess I'll have to look into this.

Last edited by FattyMcButterPants; 08-25-2014 at 10:01 AM.
post #13459 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Oh really? So then what is the point of reversing sub phase with just a single sub set up? This is a legit question as I guess I misunderstood what is happening.

Also, somehow it sounds very different, noticeably louder and more in sync. I don't think this is listening bias either since, as I mentioned before, I've messed with phase on previous subs and saw no change ever. Guess I'll have to look into this.
Where are your subs located in your room??

You may have gotten the subs more in phase with your mains by doing what you did, but the correct way is to adjust the sub distance setting in your AVR.

By adjusting the phase between the 2 subs you are basically time-aligning them with each other, albeit the "poor mans" way. The correct way is with some sort of outboard processing (i.e. Mini DSP).

The best way to do both of the above is by making changes and measuring the results with REW....but you probably already know that.
post #13460 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
REW does work better, there are more options for tones that are sent via HDMI and you can measure the responses rather than listen to them.

However, you can right click on any of the files and save to a disc as an mp3.
ahblaza likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #13461 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

I want to thank Alan, BH and climber for all the great info, what I need to do is get my head out of my a** and start working on my setup. I am planning on the getting the PSA speakers but it's going to be a while yet. It's discouraging as my speakers are the weak link right now as I've sold all my speakers (11) and I'm using some inexpensive monitors. Right now I'm really concerned with getting my dual XS30SEs dialed in and decide if I want to try the third, I'm not realizing the full potential of these subs as I've done no measurements except with an SPL meter and I know they are much more capable than what I'm experiencing now. I don't give anything a chance, I probably had one of the best subwoofer setups with the four XV15SEs but was too lazy to dial them in and like you said BH I just took the easy way out and made duals out of Quads by stacking. My new laptop will here tomorrow and I will be contacting Jim to order the miniDSP and UMIK and the appropriate plug in (2.1 advanced) correct? I really want to do this guys and am counting on your help, I'm tired of shipping subs and selling them. Is it possible to concentrate on just my subs for now with REW and tools, that is my main concern, I really want to dial them in and see what I'm hearing and let you guys see it as well. I have ethernet cables, HDMI and USB as well, what else do I need to complete the REW DSP and UMIK combo. Am I seeing correctly on the PSA site that the power supply for the mini is included or do I even need a power supply? Thanks Guys for putting up with me all this time. So please help me get my subs dialed in at least for now, and then I (we) will work on the speakers, I may as well dial in the one's I have now and then do it all over again with the new PSA models. THANK SO MUCH, I need to gain some confidence, after all I'm not an idiot but this REW and measuring really has me intimidated. Thanks Alan for the download of REW link, that's all I need to do for now correct? OK, I'll be back. I would love to get that third XS30SE behind my MLP but I can't even get two placed in identical corners the same distance to the PLP right let alone three...............
Sincerely, Jeffrey
basshead81 likes this.

j_nordi
post #13462 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hang in there dude you'll figure it and have your ears bleeding in no time[emoji41][emoji346][emoji346][emoji86]

Sent from my iPhone using TheChive - KCCO!
ahblaza likes this.
post #13463 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Alan for the download of REW link, that's all I need to do for now correct?
Yup...and read this from beginning to end.

REW User Guide.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13464 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Am I seeing correctly on the PSA site that the power supply for the mini is included or do I even need a power supply?
Yes, we include a 5V USB power supply. Here is a pic for those interested. You can even use to charge your cell phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USB_5V.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	229329  

Jim Farina

Power Sound Audio

post #13465 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Farina View Post
Yes, we include a 5V USB power supply. Here is a pic for those interested. You can even use to charge your cell phone.
Yep thats what I mentioned to Tom to use when we were discussing the minindsp a few weeks ago. I ran into ground loop hum when wiring a 12v power source to the mini. Using the USB side worked much better(no hum)!! Nice Job incorporating that with the MiniDSP into a subwoofer package!! PSA is doing great things!!
post #13466 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Yep thats what I mentioned to Tom to use when we were discussing the minindsp a few weeks ago. I ran into ground loop hum when wiring a 12v power source to the mini. Using the USB side worked much better(no hum)!! Nice Job incorporating that with the MiniDSP into a subwoofer package!! PSA is doing great things!!
Thanks Basshead81. Tom and I wanted to offer a complete solution (mic, miniDSP, and power supply) to make things easier on everyone. Our price may seem a little high when compared to buying direct from miniDSP, but it is very close when you factor in the power supply and shipping.
ahblaza and basshead81 like this.

Jim Farina

Power Sound Audio

post #13467 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

So I know there are a few Denon X4000 owners here. My question is, would you consider a Refurbed X4000 for 700.00 with manufacturer warranty a good deal?
Alan P likes this.
post #13468 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Where are your subs located in your room??

You may have gotten the subs more in phase with your mains by doing what you did, but the correct way is to adjust the sub distance setting in your AVR.

By adjusting the phase between the 2 subs you are basically time-aligning them with each other, albeit the "poor mans" way. The correct way is with some sort of outboard processing (i.e. Mini DSP).

The best way to do both of the above is by making changes and measuring the results with REW....but you probably already know that.
My subs are located at FR and FL with my mains, and are within inches of the same distance from MLP. Did some quick reading and most things appear to match my understanding - the phase on the sub is there to align with the speakers, which will require different settings in every room. Can you provide a link that shows what you are talking about? It appears to me it's more than just aligning subs

Last edited by FattyMcButterPants; 08-25-2014 at 07:48 PM.
post #13469 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
So I know there are a few Denon X4000 owners here. My question is, would you consider a Refurbed X4000 for 700.00 with manufacturer warranty a good deal?
In Canada I literally just bought one over the weekend for $929 plus tax (new). Not sure what that means price wise down south (I assume you're American, could be wrong though )
post #13470 of 14575 Old 08-25-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magibeg View Post
In Canada I literally just bought one over the weekend for $929 plus tax (new). Not sure what that means price wise down south (I assume you're American, could be wrong though )
what store did you buy at?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page