Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 454 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13591 of 15471 Old 09-04-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 743
yup my 3 year old son just came off a 3 month stint on Pred...he was a maniac....biting punching and crying for no reason...as well as HUGE appetite and blown out face...luckily it has all returned to normal and he is healthy again
lefthandluke and audiofan1 like this.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13592 of 15471 Old 09-04-2014, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Jeff, you will hear a difference with the dsp, of course unless youre the luckiest guy on earth with no room modes and perfect placement.

The amp is the same amp, just programmed for the se driver. inverted dust cap= se driver
post #13593 of 15471 Old 09-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
yup my 3 year old son just came off a 3 month stint on Pred...he was a maniac....biting punching and crying for no reason...as well as HUGE appetite and blown out face...luckily it has all returned to normal and he is healthy again
Brian, I'm really happy your son is OK now, preds are a very addictive drug and should not be used for extended periods of time, of course a gradual decrease in dosage is required for proper detox and the residual effects of the drug will dissipate gradually as well. It is so over prescribed but it's also very necessary to achieve the results desired to treat a variety of symptoms regarding asthma and other lung related issues as well as other health related problems. I hope it was worth it for you and your three year old and again I hope all is well my friend.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #13594 of 15471 Old 09-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Jeff, you will hear a difference with the dsp, of course unless youre the luckiest guy on earth with no room modes and perfect placement.

The amp is the same amp, just programmed for the se driver. inverted dust cap= se driver

GK, I hope I can get to the point where I will be able to use the miniDSP, just configuring my laptop for REW is a task and I just got the UMIK and miniDSP today, so I will be firing the questions at you guys all weekend. I have a lot to do before I can take a measurement yet, I procrastinate with difficult situations that I have no knowledge of. I just used Audy XT for the PLP today for the first time and noticed an improvement but I still think the bass is lacking, hopefully I can find out why with the REW program and UMIK. TIA
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #13595 of 15471 Old 09-04-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 52
http://www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-with-rew

start here, this will do the bulk for you. you can tweak from there as needed
ahblaza likes this.
post #13596 of 15471 Old 09-04-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Jeff, usually after running Audyssey, most folks bump up the sub trim at least 3db and up to (my personal setting of) 8db.

Prolly why your feeling a lack of bass post-Audyssey.

Also, you got DynEQ on and DynVol off???
ahblaza likes this.

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4 (Soon to be replaced with dual T-18s!)
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
post #13597 of 15471 Old 09-04-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I just used Audy XT for the PLP today for the first time and noticed an improvement but I still think the bass is lacking, hopefully I can find out why with the REW program and UMIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Jeff, usually after running Audyssey, most folks bump up the sub trim at least 3db and up to (my personal setting of) 8db.

This^. Audyssey always sets the bass to low. Like Alan said, try a 3db boost on the sub out and see what it sounds like. As he mentioned, some go way higher than that, but 3db is the rule of thumb and should get you in the ballpark.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13598 of 15471 Old 09-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, you got DynEQ on and DynVol off???
I did boost it a bit, Audy set it at -9dB, so you like to boost as much as 8dB, interesting indeed! I gained matched the subs prior to AudysseyXT in the middle of my room with mic about 3" from one of the two drivers of the XS30SE and did the same for the other one and then moved them back in their respective places. I then ran a quick one spot mic calibration to see if the subs were in the - 4 to -9dB range and they were and then I did a full calibration for PLP only. I was surprised how well XT set the distances and levels, I then put all xover settings to 80Hz and just boosted the sub trim a couple of dB. I did notice a smoother transition with speakers and subs and the bass seemed tighter just a bit lacking, I will boost it some more and listen. Maybe I will do a 8 point mic calibration for all listening positions as well.
I do have DynEQ on and DynVol off, is that correct? One question Audy has to be turned off when taking measurements with REW and UMIK correct, I'm using the HDMI front input on my AVR (AUX) can I just shut it off for AUX or do I have to disable it for every HDMI input? TIA 8dB Boost, I like that I'm saving the REW and UMIK/miniDSP for the weekend, I'm going to set my laptop up where REW is downloaded and install the ASIO driver and download my plug-in, that's enough for tonight.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #13599 of 15471 Old 09-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
http://www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-with-rew

start here, this will do the bulk for you. you can tweak from there as needed
Thanks for the link, for now I'm really interested in getting a raw sub (s) response and let you guys tell me what it means

j_nordi
post #13600 of 15471 Old 09-04-2014, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 373
xs30se arrives Tuesday... GAH!!!!! anticipation is killing me..
FattyMcButterPants likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR929, QSC GX5, Polk Audio RtiA9's, CsiA6, F/XiA6's, RtiA3's,PSA xs30se, Xbox 360, PS3, hopper w/Sling, Samsung 55" LED, All controlled with a Harmony One
post #13601 of 15471 Old 09-04-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreshEntrailsX View Post
New equipment day is the best! Especially from PSA
xFreshEntrailsX likes this.
post #13602 of 15471 Old 09-04-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did boost it a bit, Audy set it at -9dB, so you like to boost as much as 8dB, interesting indeed! I gained matched the subs prior to AudysseyXT in the middle of my room with mic about 3" from one of the two drivers of the XS30SE and did the same for the other one and then moved them back in their respective places. I then ran a quick one spot mic calibration to see if the subs were in the - 4 to -9dB range and they were and then I did a full calibration for PLP only. I was surprised how well XT set the distances and levels, I then put all xover settings to 80Hz and just boosted the sub trim a couple of dB. I did notice a smoother transition with speakers and subs and the bass seemed tighter just a bit lacking, I will boost it some more and listen. Maybe I will do a 8 point mic calibration for all listening positions as well.
I do have DynEQ on and DynVol off, is that correct? One question Audy has to be turned off when taking measurements with REW and UMIK correct, I'm using the HDMI front input on my AVR (AUX) can I just shut it off for AUX or do I have to disable it for every HDMI input? TIA 8dB Boost, I like that I'm saving the REW and UMIK/miniDSP for the weekend, I'm going to set my laptop up where REW is downloaded and install the ASIO driver and download my plug-in, that's enough for tonight.
Cheers Jeff
Yes, DynEQ on is my (and most folks) preference. DynVol sucks eggs, leave it off.

You will want to take initial measurements with Audyssey off to optimize placement and phase, but you'll then want to do measurements with Audyssey on so you can optimize your distance setting (Audyssey Sub Distance Tweak) and see what you will actually hear (you'll be listening with Audyssey on after all). Although, when you do measure with Audyssey on, make sure you leave DynEQ off, it can throw off your sub graphs.

Don't be afraid to bump up that sub trim until you're satisfied. I'd be willing to bet that you'll have a really hard time over-driving dual XS30s in your room.
ahblaza likes this.

post #13603 of 15471 Old 09-04-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreshEntrailsX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
New equipment day is the best! Especially from PSA
Very true. My XS30se put the biggest smile on my face of all of my home theater equipment.
xFreshEntrailsX likes this.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #13604 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Brian, I'm really happy your son is OK now, preds are a very addictive drug and should not be used for extended periods of time, of course a gradual decrease in dosage is required for proper detox and the residual effects of the drug will dissipate gradually as well. It is so over prescribed but it's also very necessary to achieve the results desired to treat a variety of symptoms regarding asthma and other lung related issues as well as other health related problems. I hope it was worth it for you and your three year old and again I hope all is well my friend.
Cheers Jeff
Thanks Jeff...yes he had a very rare kidney disease clled nephrotic syndrome...in short it allowed water from his cells to spill into surroundging tissue so he gained 6 lbs in a day his little boy parts were the size of a grapefruit...legs belly swollen beyond beleif...so prednizone was the only treatment...luckily it worked (rare cases it doesnt or as soon as you get off the meds it comes right back) ..he has been on a month long ween, and tuesday he will be completely off..woohoo!!

anyhow congrats to FRESH...new subs are the best day ever!!! my xs30's are my pride and joy of my HT by far...cant wait to get them setup again this week..its been 2 months since i was last able to enjoy them...

again Jeff, shoot away with any questions I am eager to help
ahblaza and xFreshEntrailsX like this.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #13605 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I think you guys cursed me with your comments about "WHEN" I'd need to come back for answers....bastiges!

So I sat down and watched Star Trek Nemesis last night and had a lot of deep bass, not overly rumbly but it definitely made itself known when the Enterprise hits the Scimitar. What WASN'T there was the bass "punch" that I had hoped for. My XS15se is sitting in a corner approximately 12 feet from my listening position - do I need to place it nearfield to get the "punch"? I've done a sub crawl with an older (smaller & lighter) sub so I'm confident that I've got it in the right spot. YPAO calibration set the sub to -6, I bumped it to -2.5 and put an additional +1.5 onto the trim in the receiver settings. Suggestions on other content with more "kick in the butt" bass?

Thx,

Mike
post #13606 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcmahon67 View Post
I think you guys cursed me with your comments about "WHEN" I'd need to come back for answers....bastiges!

So I sat down and watched Star Trek Nemesis last night and had a lot of deep bass, not overly rumbly but it definitely made itself known when the Enterprise hits the Scimitar. What WASN'T there was the bass "punch" that I had hoped for. My XS15se is sitting in a corner approximately 12 feet from my listening position - do I need to place it nearfield to get the "punch"? I've done a sub crawl with an older (smaller & lighter) sub so I'm confident that I've got it in the right spot. YPAO calibration set the sub to -6, I bumped it to -2.5 and put an additional +1.5 onto the trim in the receiver settings. Suggestions on other content with more "kick in the butt" bass?

Thx,

Mike
If you read slaround these forums much that is a common issue. More then likely you have a null around the 60-80hz region. I bet if you bought a mic and downloaded rew to measure the response that is what you would find.

Google- "subwoofer distance tweak".
post #13607 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
If you read slaround these forums much that is a common issue. More then likely you have a null around the 60-80hz region. I bet if you bought a mic and downloaded rew to measure the response that is what you would find.

Google- "subwoofer distance tweak".
Thanks Basshead - are there any options if one doesn't have access to a calibrated mic? I have a SPL meter, but no calibrated mic. I would think that I should be able to take level readings for a 60-80hz tone and make adjustments in my PEQ settings. Would that address the null? Sorry if that's a stupid question

Last edited by mjmcmahon67; 09-05-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: incorrect terminology used
post #13608 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Basshead - are there any options if one doesn't have access to a calibrated mic? I have a SPL meter, but no calibrated mic. I would think that I should be able to take level readings for a 60-80hz tone and make adjustments in my PEQ settings. Would that address the null? Sorry if that's a stupid question

yes that should work, but I do not think the issue is peq related. you will need to adjust the distance/delay settings to get the sub in phase with your mains. this is one of the most common issues I see around here with subwoofers...the dreaded null in the crossover region.

I would start by playing tones with a spl meter. Write down the output for each frequency in 5hz increments starting from 20hz-100hz. More then likely you will see that the 70-80hz region is down significantly compared to 60 & 100hz. to correct the problem you can try to adjust the phase dial on the sub, but the distance tweak is the best method. Raynist post a link a few pages back.

edit found it for you..

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/redire...t%25202013.pdf
post #13609 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thx,

Mike
basshead (as usual) gives good advice, but I wanted to address one point - you say that you "bumped the sub level up to -2.5", but then you say you "put an additional +1.5 onto the trim in the receiver settings". I'm confused on this point....so you are at a trim level in your AVR of -1 now? Or, did you adjust the sub gain after running Audyssey? If you adjusted gain, you shouldn't do that. If you want your sub hot, always adjust the trim in the AVR.

Also, remind me - how large is your room again? Where is your crossover set in the AVR? On the sub (should be max)?

For "kick in the butt" bass, I heartily recommend Pacific Rim (lots of great bass, esp. first 2 chapters).

post #13610 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe he is saying that ypao set the sub -6, he then bumped the sub trim in avr to +1.5, which is 7.5db hot. So if that is the case the bass should be heavy with any blu ray disk that has bass unless he of course has a big null in the mid bass region.

Oh and I forgot to mention to try nearfield placement as well!
post #13611 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
yes that should work, but I do not think the issue is peq related. you will need to adjust the distance/delay settings to get the sub in phase with your mains. this is one of the most common issues I see around here with subwoofers...the dreaded null in the crossover region.

I would start by playing tones with a spl meter. Write down the output for each frequency in 5hz increments starting from 20hz-100hz. More then likely you will see that the 70-80hz region is down significantly compared to 60 & 100hz. to correct the problem you can try to adjust the phase dial on the sub, but the distance tweak is the best method. Raynist post a link a few pages back.

edit found it for you..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Oct%202013.pdf
Hey Basshead, any idea if these principles would apply to MCACC users as well? I have had my sub for awhile and still can't get it to sound the way I want. Granted I didn't purchase a calibrating MIC and get into the REW world, so I am the only one to blame.
post #13612 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181 View Post
Hey Basshead, any idea if these principles would apply to MCACC users as well? I have had my sub for awhile and still can't get it to sound the way I want. Granted I didn't purchase a calibrating MIC and get into the REW world, so I am the only one to blame.
I'm sure bh will be around shortly, but the answer is yes.

What issues are you having with your sub?

post #13613 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1!

For some reason room correction does not always get the distance set quite right to have proper alignment between the mains and sub causing cancellation around the crossover point. this is why REW and a Calibrated mic are easily the best investment bar none. I am glad I jumped into it from day 1 after purchasing my subs. Alan was one of the great members that got me started the in the right direction.
post #13614 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

Do you have an Audyssey mic? It's not as accurate as a UMIK, but it is useful for what you want to do. Check out this thread: Measurement Mic Shootout (EMM-6, WM-61A, RS 33-2055, Audyssey)
post #13615 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

edit found it for you..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Oct%202013.pdf

And where might he get the tones to play and measure in 5Hz increments, I also would like to know. I have another question, I ordered my plug-in just now 2.1 Advanced with the code Jim sent me and it says free, that's good, and I also got an email confirming my purchase with the plug-in listed, looks like a link, I thought I was supposed to download it on the miniDSP site, is it in my email to download, it looks like they want to ship it, man this stuff is driving me crazy. Sorry for the obvious to you guys questions but not so to me.TIA
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #13616 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And where might he get the tones to play and measure in 5Hz increments, I also would like to know. I have another question, I ordered my plug-in just now 2.1 Advanced with the code Jim sent me and it says free, that's good, and I also got an email confirming my purchase with the plug-in listed, looks like a link, I thought I was supposed to download it on the miniDSP site, is it in my email to download, it looks like they want to ship it, man this stuff is driving me crazy. Sorry for the obvious to you guys questions but not so to me.TIA
Cheers Jeff
The tones you need are built in REW.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13617 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Do you have an Audyssey mic? It's not as accurate as a UMIK, but it is useful for what you want to do. Check out this thread: Measurement Mic Shootout (EMM-6, WM-61A, RS 33-2055, Audyssey)
I believe I have one from my old Onkyo receiver. It's not the tower style, but I'd expect it'll function identically. I also have the YPAO Mic.

I'll do some more research into REW, but I'm guessing I'd hook up my laptop via HDMI to the receiver and use the Audyssey or YPAO Mic to run an eq? Is that the short version?

Thx for the creative suggestion,

Mike
post #13618 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

2.1 Plug-In

Hey guys, I have an account on the miniDSP site and ordered the plug-in 2.1, I noticed where it says user profile and settings there is a file there, it says 1-File, I guess this is my download correct, I need to know before I do the wrong thing.TIA
Jeffrey
PS: I have an email confirmation that I purchased the 2.1 plug-in, so I can just go there from the email (it lets me) and download it, right.

j_nordi
post #13619 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep that is correct.
Alan P and ahblaza like this.
post #13620 of 15471 Old 09-05-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

MCACC will set the sub distance based on when the sound get's to the mic and may be different than the physical measurement. I usually do not use test tone for calibration. Run MCACC, then Auto MCACC and then Manual MCACC, with a 30-50 ms setting and 3 mic positions. This will go a long way in correcting things at the xo and overall room integration. Good luck.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Aura Bass shakers, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page