Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22535Likes

post #1351 of 31513 Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Fedex delivered my Hsu VTF-15H and were very good about it. I was home and the driver even helped me carry it into my house (which they are not supposed to do) since it was February in Minnesota and my wife is tiny smile.gif

UPS... Well I ordered a playset for the kids and one UPS driver driving a freight truck shows up and was literally cursing about how heavy it was and asked me what he was supposed to do to try and get it off the truck... I am not a small guy so I got rather pissed off and told him it was his job and that I was happy to help out but that he clearly should have had another UPS employee helping him. They know the weight and size before they left the UPS warehouse, and that cursing at me was the wrong answer. He shut his mouth and we unloaded it off the truck with me doing all the heavy lifting..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 31513 Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Im kind of lucky when it comes to UPS delivery, the delivery guy lives 3 houses away from me. :-)
He puts stuff on the deck around the back of my house. Fedex has also been decent for me, Purolator is the one that I dont like. I would rather it be delivered by bicycle courier over Purolator.....

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
post #1353 of 31513 Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinister View Post

Not happy:mad:

I left work early, and have been waiting busily in near the door, checking it every hour or so just in case... just opened the door, delivery driver stuck a sticker on it that said I "must be home"... complete horsecrap, i have a doorbell!

On phone w/FEDEX now to get the driver to come back.

While I've had decent luck with them in my area, I would be smokin pissed if I left work early and they pulled that. In this area if you do miss them
you can still pick up same day at their terminal. Hope things work out better for you tomorrow.

post #1354 of 31513 Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've had good luck with both FedEx and UPS. I have most of my stuff delivered to my office, I have a good relationship with both drivers. Luck to have the same one with FedEx for a few years and the same two or three with UPS. My dual XS-30's arrived via freight and that driver was great too. Helped me unload and kept saying, looks like you bought yourself some nice stereo equipment. I just said yes I did. He kept saying, man those speakers must be nice
post #1355 of 31513 Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Man I friggen love the thumping bass from my XV15 during Battlefield 3... Can't get enough of it. I just hope my neighbors don't think I'm starting WW3 in my basement.

post #1356 of 31513 Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Placed my order for an XS30. Can't wait to get it!
post #1357 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 02:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
We should get a head count on how many people have the new XS30, and how many they have!
post #1358 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

We should get a head count on how many people have the new XS30, and how many they have!

Two XS-30's for me.
post #1359 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
XS30 coming today between 12 & 5. NOT FedEX.

I'm not sure how I will amuse myself until then...

Emotiva XPA-2 (Main)
Emotiva XPA-3 (Center, Rear)
Emotiva UPA-2 (House)
Emotiva ERC-2
Yamaha RX-A820
Magnepan 1.7 (Main)
Klipsh RC-35 (Center)
Klipsch SS.5 (Rear)
Power Sound Audio XS30 (Left & Right)
Klipsch SW-8(Rear)
Panasonic TC-P60UT50
Panasonic DMP-BD85
post #1360 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post

Placed my order for an XS30. Can't wait to get it!

Congrats.ttnuagmada, and Thermoform, I am completely pleased with mine.smile.gif

My Living Room  

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=CRAZYKAT

I live in Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

post #1361 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermoform View Post

XS30 coming today between 12 & 5. NOT FedEX.

I'm not sure how I will amuse myself until then...

Have you downloaded, installed and played with REW or any other room analyzing program? You know you want to. tongue.gif
post #1362 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Have you downloaded, installed and played with REW or any other room analyzing program? You know you want to. tongue.gif

I don't have the soundcard needed to do that. But I don't have the capability to calibrate bass anyway (YPAO).

Emotiva XPA-2 (Main)
Emotiva UPA-2 (House)
Emotiva ERC-2
Yamaha RX-A820
Magnepan 1.7 (Main)
Klipsh RC-35 (Center)
Klipsch SS.5 (Rear)
Klipsch SW-8(Rear)
Panasonic TC-P60UT50
Panasonic DMP-BD85
post #1363 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM

The XS30 has arrived unscathed.
My immediate response to seeing it was a fit of laughter at the sheer audacity of the thing. Everything about it is BIG. Those drivers are insane. No photos would do it any justice. Sitting next to it, the top is at the level of my shoulders.
Fortunately I bought a $30 handtruck, and 8' tie-downs with metal buckles at The HD. Leaving the grills off, I secured it with one strap, using a towel to protect the finish. I just wheeled it right into place.
After matching its volume with the Magnepans and M&K, all was ready.
I listened to Steely Dan's "Peg" first, and the difference was dramatic. I never understood "speed" in relationship to bass until today when I heard details in the bass I never knew existed. The kick drum was tight and intense.
I then listened to Blues Traveler's "Hook". That's when I noticed that the concrete slab my house is built on was banging on my feet.
The entire house is pressurized by the bass. Our living room is open on one side to the rest of the 2000sf house. And in the past bass would just get lost. You could find it by standing in various corners. But in the living room itself, it was like the bass would just disappear.
Now, and this is no exaggeration, it seems like the walls should be flexing. And this is simply with music, straight out of the box. I can't wait to put in some metal, jazz, and classical (Telarc 1812 Overture anyone?), let alone Cloverfield or War of the Worlds!

I should be listening more right now, but I felt it my duty to give you my first impression. I know there are alot of folks out there waiting to receive an expensive piece of equipment based on very little customer feedback, and the reputation of the company founder. I can say confidently that you have made the right decision with Power Sound Audio.

Emotiva XPA-2 (Main)
Emotiva UPA-2 (House)
Emotiva ERC-2
Yamaha RX-A820
Magnepan 1.7 (Main)
Klipsh RC-35 (Center)
Klipsch SS.5 (Rear)
Klipsch SW-8(Rear)
Panasonic TC-P60UT50
Panasonic DMP-BD85
post #1364 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

My immediate response to seeing it was a fit of laughter at the sheer audacity of the thing. Everything about it is BIG. Those drivers are insane. No photos would do it any justice. Sitting next to it, the top is at the level of my shoulders.
Fortunately I bought a $30 handtruck, and 8' tie-downs with metal buckles at The HD. Leaving the grills off, I secured it with one strap, using a towel to protect the finish. I just wheeled it right into place.
I listened to Steely Dan's "Peg" first, and the difference was dramatic. I never understood "speed" in relationship to bass until today when I heard details in the bass I never knew existed. The kick drum was tight and intense.
I then listened to Blues Traveler's "Hook". That's when I noticed that the concrete slab my house is built on was banging on my feet.
The entire house is pressurized by the bass. Our living room is open on one side to the rest of the 2000sf house. And in the past bass would just get lost. You could find it by standing in various corners. But in the living room itself, it was like the bass would just disappear.
Now, and this is no exaggeration, it seems like the walls should be flexing. And this is simply with music, straight out of the box. I can't wait to put in some metal, jazz, and classical (Telarc 1812 Overture anyone?), let alone Cloverfield or War of the Worlds!

I should be listening more right now, but I felt it my duty to give you my first impression. I know there are alot of folks out there waiting to receive an expensive piece of equipment based on very little customer feedback, and the reputation of the company founder. I can say confidently that you have made the right decision with Power Sound Audio.

That's amazing!! Can't wait to get my PSAs.
post #1365 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Congratulations, Thanks for the update and try to give us some photo's. I would like to see your layout.biggrin.gif

My Living Room  

I live in Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

post #1366 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYKAT View Post

Congratulations, Thanks for the update and try to give us some photo's. I would like to see your layout.biggrin.gif
Check my profile. My camera battery is dead, so the photos are pre-PSA...
I did an experiment with the little Klipsch up front, and found that a dual setup was the way to go...

Emotiva XPA-2 (Main)
Emotiva UPA-2 (House)
Emotiva ERC-2
Yamaha RX-A820
Magnepan 1.7 (Main)
Klipsh RC-35 (Center)
Klipsch SS.5 (Rear)
Klipsch SW-8(Rear)
Panasonic TC-P60UT50
Panasonic DMP-BD85
post #1367 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:

I did an experiment with the little Klipsch up front, and found that a dual setup was the way to go...

Very Nice, Thermoform

My Living Room  

post #1368 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM

Liked: 12
Great news indeed Thermoform...and thats a real nice setup you got there.

Theatre
Onkyo TX-NR818 * Epson 8700UB * Samsung BD-E5900 * Cornscala - Heresy II - Cornscala (LCR) * PSA XV15 SUB
2 Channel
C 33 Pre * MC 2505 Amp * Thorens TD-160 w/ Denon DL-110
Cornscalas w/ Custom Mid Horns from Dave at Fastlane Audio, Tweeters from Bob Crites and ALK Universal X-Overs.
post #1369 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3514
I am proud to be an early adopter. 10 years from now when the company is huge. I will remember it and know I helped it off the ground
post #1370 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
Quote:

You think that is funny. You should see when dual XV-30's are delivered.
post #1371 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 PM

Thanks all.
We'll be putting it to the test this weeked...

Emotiva XPA-2 (Main)
Emotiva UPA-2 (House)
Emotiva ERC-2
Yamaha RX-A820
Magnepan 1.7 (Main)
Klipsh RC-35 (Center)
Klipsch SS.5 (Rear)
Klipsch SW-8(Rear)
Panasonic TC-P60UT50
Panasonic DMP-BD85
post #1372 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

You think that is funny. You should see when dual XV-30's are delivered.

It definitely is. Saw my neighbor today, he asked "what the hell did you order that showed up on a freight truck?" I told him it was two subwoofers. He said how big are they that they needed to be shipped via freight? Brought him in the house and showed him, he thinks I'm nuts, but he wants to come over to hear them this weekend.
post #1373 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Nice clean setup Thermo! I bet they sound wonderful in there. Thanks for the first impression review.
post #1374 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 09:37 PM

Dual XV-15 Impressions:

Ok, here goes.

Delivery/Packaging:
Ok, if you have read the last two pages, you saw my growing disdain for FEDEX. After a long drive to the nearest distribution center, i had these bad boys loaded onto my Jeep Comanche and wrapped in plastic (hey, it rains a lot here). Of course, as soon as I began driving, the plastic got caught in the wind, nearly flew off, and I spent the rest of the drive with my arm out the wear window holding it down. Whatever, it worked. Dont judge me smile.gif Anyways, had to make a pit stop at blockbuster on the way home to grab some movies, and made my way to the house.

My Bass buddy Leo. He is sure to let me know when the bass gets too intense... by running to guard another room in the house. Good dog.

Unloading these things by myself sucked. We'll just leave it at that. Opening them up, I discovered that they had, in fact, packaged these extremely well. Nothing special, but heavy duty foam on the four corners; No damage. i proceeded to unload them.

Appearance:
I really like the finish. Its a mix between the satin finish of my old Klipsch Sub-12 and the bumpy truck bed look of the ED sub. like a fine sandpaper. There were a few inconsistencies though (example pictured). The raised bump you see there is actually quite sharp when sliding your hand across it.

Sound:
Meh. Yeah. I know. And i really don't blame the sub woofer. I blame the bass-sucking cavern that is my house, and the terrible calibration of my Yamaha receiver. As usual it calibrate the XV-15s to -10db, which barely registered on the hearing scale. Sadly, I have the gain on the amp set to 3 o'clock, and the receiver set to +3 db. Just to hear my house quake.This probably sounds all wrong, but it is how I have to set it to get the best sound. I did the sub crawl and all! Just a terrible terrible room and seating position.

I spent a good hour moving them around the room, trying different spots.

Interestingly, As I sit in my office (this room I am typing in), an adjacent room, the bass is huge and fantastic. Really awesome actually. It wouldn't make any sense to move my sub in here though.

I am moving in two weeks anyways. Le sigh.

Overall, with what I am experiencing, these subs are an Awesome addition to my home theater. My overall review is not one of dissatisfaction at all. But...as of now, even with duals, I am not getting the "holy crap it makes my heart hurt" feeling many of you are describing. I will continue to tweak over the next few weeks.

Emotiva LPA-1
Oppo BDP-103
Klipsch RF-63 / RC-64
PSA XV-15
Panasonic 55vt50
Yamaha RX-A3000 (Retired)
post #1375 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Oh, also, unlike my ED. I am getting a nasty, but quiet pop sound each time I change sources, fast forward chapters, change from stereo to surround, etc.. getting annoying.

Emotiva LPA-1
Oppo BDP-103
Klipsch RF-63 / RC-64
PSA XV-15
Panasonic 55vt50
post #1376 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 PM

Wait wait wait....They still have Blockbusters left in the country?!

post #1377 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 09:50 PM

Also don't forget, PSA amps aren't as sensitive as other amps and need to be cranked up a little higher to get going. So that is probably why you have to have them set at 3 o'clock - that's where mine is set.

Nice set up though - what speakers are those?

Edit: NVM just saw your sig...

post #1378 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 PM

After a bit more calibration... and a bit of Dubstep, one of my lightbulbs just unscrewed itself. Win!

Emotiva LPA-1
Oppo BDP-103
Klipsch RF-63 / RC-64
PSA XV-15
Panasonic 55vt50
post #1379 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinister View Post

After a bit more calibration... and a bit of Dubstep, one of my lightbulbs just unscrewed itself. Win!

Ha, biggrin.gif Congrats on the Dual XV15's mrsinister.

On A side note, I hope you get that popping problem figured out, I haven't had it with my XS30.

My Living Room  

post #1380 of 31513 Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 PM

I also get the pop sometimes. But it doesn't bother me at all. Awesome setup btw. I have the craving for another xv15 after seeing all you guys. I'm probably moving soon too, so going to wait so I don't have to beak my back twice rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page