Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 460 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #13771 of 13784 Unread 09-13-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Did you try adjusting the center channel distance?
ahblaza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13772 of 13784 Unread 09-13-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
OK, I am putting an REW pic here trying to follow the Audessey sub distance tweak recommended by BassHead. However, for what might seem like simple instructions to the experienced people following step two is tricky. In REW I don't know how to use a monotone test signal, so I used the signals provided with my UMIK-1. I used the narrow band response 90 degrees and my mic head was 90 degrees from the front sound stage at the MLP. The chart below was run using the sub distance tweak instructions and the receiver was on DLP 2 Cinema mode where only the CC was used with no mains.

Yellow Line Sub Only
Greenish Blue line CC only
Blue line all with CC CO at 80Hz
Orange line all with CC CO at 150Hz

There definitely is an issue with my CC and Subs. I have tried adjusting the sub distances 1 foot at a time with an SPL meter from 6-25 feet. Best comes at a distance of 14.5 feet where these measurements were taken which is 1 foot less than XT32 set them at. Any suggestion's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Did you try adjusting the center channel distance?
In addition also try different crossover points above (not below) what Audyssey and or your avr has set it at, do indeed measure and listen. This may apply to the surrounds and mains as well to achieve an overall balance to your liking and do try various combinations as each combination can sound different.
post #13773 of 13784 Unread Yesterday, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 53
IIRC, some of you have your L or R speaker on top of your PSA sub(s). Any problem with your speaker moving around because of vibration from the PSA sub?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13774 of 13784 Unread Yesterday, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
IIRC, some of you have your L or R speaker on top of your PSA sub(s). Any problem with your speaker moving around because of vibration from the PSA sub?

Thanks for the idea as there is no vibration from my XS30SEs

j_nordi
post #13775 of 13784 Unread Yesterday, 12:23 PM
rel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
XV15se Gain vs Audyssey

I'm working on setting up my XV15se, and I had a general question regarding the gain setting versus what is recommended for Audyssey. My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR809 that runs Audyssey MultEQ XT, and after setting up everything based upon what is recommended in the Audyssey FAQ, having the gain at 12:00 puts the end result at -2db, which is within the suggested range of -3db - 0db after calibration.

It seems like most have been pleased with the XV15se once the gain is in the neighborhood of 1:00-2:00, and I ended up between -9.5 db and -14.5 db when I ran the calibration in that range. My question is for those people that run the sub gain in the 1:00-2:00 range, are you disregarding the recommended post-calibration range and just running with whatever the receiver sets, or are you ending up between -3 db and 0 db?

To my untrained ear, it seems to be lacking the LFE impact for movies with the gain at 12:00, and I wanted to put the question out there for those that have gone through the setup process with their XV15se.

Thanks
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
post #13776 of 13784 Unread Yesterday, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Set the gain around 2:00, Audyssey will trim the sub back around -9(which is low for most peoples taste). Now just bump the Sub trim in the AVR up to -3. That will leave the sub running about 6db hot and puts you in the +/-3 window.

Room correction software (Aud, ypao, mcacc) tends to set the subwoofer output 5-6db low for some reason. This topic is routinely discussed on the forums. Try the above method and report back.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13777 of 13784 Unread Yesterday, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by rel View Post
I'm working on setting up my XV15se, and I had a general question regarding the gain setting versus what is recommended for Audyssey. My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR809 that runs Audyssey MultEQ XT, and after setting up everything based upon what is recommended in the Audyssey FAQ, having the gain at 12:00 puts the end result at -2db, which is within the suggested range of -3db - 0db after calibration.

It seems like most have been pleased with the XV15se once the gain is in the neighborhood of 1:00-2:00, and I ended up between -9.5 db and -14.5 db when I ran the calibration in that range. My question is for those people that run the sub gain in the 1:00-2:00 range, are you disregarding the recommended post-calibration range and just running with whatever the receiver sets, or are you ending up between -3 db and 0 db?

To my untrained ear, it seems to be lacking the LFE impact for movies with the gain at 12:00, and I wanted to put the question out there for those that have gone through the setup process with their XV15se.

Thanks
Remember that the gain knob on the subwoofer amp is not a volume setting. It is the amplifier gain sensitivity for varying input signals from the AVR's LFE output.

I recommend setting the subwoofer gain knob from 1:00 to 2:00 with your setup and results. An AVR subwoofer gain (after Audyssey) of -6dB to -10dB is ideal as this allows you to bump up the AVR subwoofer gain a few dB without crossing over the 0dB level. Most people agree that Audyssey sets their subwoofer too low and ultimately bump their AVR sub level up by 3dB to 5dB depending on their room acoustics. As long as you don't max out Audyssey's subwoofer adjustment (-12dB I think) then you will be fine.

Good luck and congrats on the XV15se.
ahblaza likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #13778 of 13784 Unread Yesterday, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Set the gain around 2:00, Audyssey will trim the sub back around -9(which is low for most peoples taste). Now just bump the Sub trim in the AVR up to -3. That will leave the sub running about 6db hot and puts you in the +/-3 window.

Room correction software (Aud, ypao, mcacc) tends to set the subwoofer output 5-6db low for some reason. This topic is routinely discussed on the forums. Try the above method and report back.
darn you to heck for posting a reply whilst I was writing mine...
ahblaza and basshead81 like this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #13779 of 13784 Unread Yesterday, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Xs30se spl

Hey guys, as you all know I have dual XS30SEs and no I haven't finished setting up my REW, Umik and miniDSP. I gain matched both subs in the middle of room in the exact same position for both subs and then ran Audy XT and got -9 dB setting for the subs and I bumped it up to -3dB, all OK. I decided today to measure the output of each sub with the AVR's test tone and my SPL meter, both subs are in the L&R front corners equal distance to PLP, anyway I measured the left sub and same output at all seating locations, I was thrilled as I could not achieve this with the Triax I had. Then I measured output of the right sub and the output varied from the PLP , at the PLP and to the right of that spot was the same but when I measured to the left of the PLP the output was was about 4dB higher. I have an opening on the left side wall midway down from the front wall about 6' wide, do you think this has something to do with the increased output towards the left of PLP. I wonder why the sub in the left corner had even output across the entire seating area and the right corner sub did not. I'm thinking since the left corner sub has such even output at all seating areas I should move the right corner sub closer to the PLP for more of a tactile feel (or add a third near field) What do you guys think. I wanted to add, with both subs playing the output was pretty even across all seating areas. I know you're going to say get REW up and running and I won't have to ask these questions. By the way my receiver will set the sub trim level to -15 (Onkyo 809) with Audyssey.
Cheers Jeff
climber07 and xFreshEntrailsX like this.

j_nordi
post #13780 of 13784 Unread Yesterday, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey guys, as you all know I have dual XS30SEs and no I haven't finished setting up my REW, Umik and miniDSP. I gain matched both subs in the middle of room in the exact same position for both subs and then ran Audy XT and got -9 dB setting for the subs and I bumped it up to -3dB, all OK. I decided today to measure the output of each sub with the AVR's test tone and my SPL meter, both subs are in the L&R front corners equal distance to PLP, anyway I measured the left sub and same output at all seating locations, I was thrilled as I could not achieve this with the Triax I had. Then I measured output of the right sub and the output varied from the PLP , at the PLP and to the right of that spot was the same but when I measured to the left of the PLP the output was was about 4dB higher. I have an opening on the left side wall midway down from the front wall about 6' wide, do you think this has something to do with the increased output towards the left of PLP. I wonder why the sub in the left corner had even output across the entire seating area and the right corner sub did not. I'm thinking since the left corner sub has such even output at all seating areas I should move the right corner sub closer to the PLP for more of a tactile feel (or add a third near field) What do you guys think. I wanted to add, with both subs playing the output was pretty even across all seating areas. I know you're going to say get REW up and running and I won't have to ask these questions. By the way my receiver will set the sub trim level to -15 (Onkyo 809) with Audyssey.
Cheers Jeff
I think since the response feels so even from the one in the left corner you should just send me the one in the right corner..

ahblaza likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR929, QSC GX5, Polk Audio RtiA9's, CsiA6, F/XiA6's, RtiA3's, Dual PSA XV-15's, Xbox 360, PS3, hopper w/Sling, Samsung 55" LED, All controlled with a Harmony One

Last edited by xFreshEntrailsX; Yesterday at 05:03 PM.
post #13781 of 13784 Unread Yesterday, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreshEntrailsX View Post
I think since the response feels so even from the one in the left corner you should just send me the one in the right corner..

Hey Fresh, give me your address

j_nordi
post #13782 of 13784 Unread Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
I'm waiting on new speakers so I just set up my mains on the two XS30SEs to try it out, will let you know, I have small monitors right now.

j_nordi
post #13783 of 13784 Unread Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Cheers Jeff
By the way my receiver will set the sub trim level to -15 (Onkyo 809) with Audyssey.

If Audyssey XT is setting your sub trims at -15 then you will have to lower the gain knob on each sub and rerun Audyssey XT.

Last edited by Mike Butny; Yesterday at 11:45 PM.
post #13784 of 13784 Unread Today, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 465
setup my subs in the new theater area...and what a difference having a large room makes with XS30's...now mind you this room will eventually be quite small (11x16x7.5) but without walls the response does in fact fall quickly.

I am getting +/-5db down to 10 Hz
but that is with a low end house curve boost....in my old home area....I was getting +/- 2db dwon to 10 before it fell off...

still sounds great....but cant wait to get that room gain back!

EDIT: the new sub configuration is much flatter than the old house (both subs up front) and needs very little EQ'ing to be very flat...

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread