Forum Jump: 
post #13801 of 13817 Unread 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post
Thanks. The room is about 2,900 cubic feet, mixed use (ie. living/family room). System is mainly TV & movie watching, not much music.

My plan is/was for duals of either XS15, XV15 or dual of one of the SVS offerings (most likely the PC models).

I've discussed with Tom, and he suggested either dual XS15 or the single XS30 (note, extension is more important than highest output, as I don't listen at high levels).

Budget factors in as the single XS30 is a decent amount cheaper than dual of anything else.

If I went with the XS30, I probably wouldn't be adding another; at least not in the near future that I can see. Partly placement limitations, partly cost, partly WAF, and given the listening levels I think 2 of these might be overkill (but never say never).

Tom suggested that I could likely get down to between 7 - 10Hz in my room with either the dual XS15 or the XS30, vs. going with dual XV15 or any of the ported options from SVS (although output with any of these others would be more).

I guess I'm looking for "real world" opinions.

I'm in basically the same boat, and I'm doing one XS15se, and will add duals if I feel that it's needed.. However, what I think is sufficient, or Tom, or Brian, and yourself, can all differ greatly. You too might get one XS15se and be all like, who in the hell needs more than this? Or you could be all like, get this weak crap out of my house. Or something in between. At least with the single XS15se you can make that decision piece meal. I'm willing to get that you and me both will be at least happy with one XS15se.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13802 of 13817 Unread 09-16-2014, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
XS30SE owners, I want to hear from you! Do you think you are losing out on anything by having a single unit with the dual drivers, vs. dual individual units? How big is the room you are using it in and what is your actual in-room extension?

I've talked to Tom and he has me thinking about an XS30 vs. dual individuals.
I went from a sinlge originals xv-15 to dual xv-15's to an original xv-15 with an xv-15 .. and now i'm sitting at a single xs30se.. Personally I'm not missing a whole lot from the duals.. I have a 5k^ft room.. Living room/kitchen/dining room.. I am only really concerned with my LP.. so even response wasn't that big of a deal... I could get the dual XV's much louder .. but i listen at moderate levels.. so extra headroom only came in handy when showing it off to people.. lol..

I over all prefer the sound of sealed vs ported.. its tighter and punchier.. Don't get me wrong the XV-15s are awesome subs.. I just prefer the xs30se... And it goes plenty low.. enough to knock picture off the wall during Captain America Winter soldier.. but only having one the subs position can't be set in stone.. you will need the ability to move it all over to find the best location.. I ended up putting mine directly behind my couch.. and it effing rocks...

I do plan on getting a second xs30se later on.. just because there is something about duals that makes it hard to go to a single .. but I don't regret my change at all.. and I'm able to stay with a single for a while without being disappointed..

This is just my 2 cents..
Mike Butny and ahblaza like this.

Onkyo TX-NR929, QSC GX5, Polk Audio RtiA9's, CsiA6, F/XiA6's, RtiA3's,PSA xs30se, Xbox 360, PS3, hopper w/Sling, Samsung 55" LED, All controlled with a Harmony One
post #13803 of 13817 Unread 09-16-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 53
There does not appear to be a single PSA model with balanced audio inputs. Do any of you have hum problems because of single-ended (unbalanced) inputs on your PSA's?

For me: I think it is strange that a device, that will normally be located many feet from a audio processor, does not have balanced audio inputs. The cost to add this feature is minimal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13804 of 13817 Unread 09-16-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
There does not appear to be a single PSA model with balanced audio inputs. Do any of you have hum problems because of single-ended (unbalanced) inputs on your PSA's?

For me: I think it is strange that a device, that will normally be located many feet from a audio processor, does not have balanced audio inputs. The cost to add this feature is minimal.
The primary market that PSA is catering to (home theater with AVR) is predominantly without balanced audio outputs. Many of the ID subwoofer brands do not have balanced inputs as a standard feature. The higher prices brands like SVS and Paradigm have them and they start at $2K and go on up to over $10K per sub. I think reworking the inputs to the amp are simple enough, but that is a complete re-engineering of the amp manufacturers process.

The PSA Triax does indeed have balanced inputs. I had to check it out to make sure.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #13805 of 13817 Unread 09-16-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

No hum problems here, and one of my PSA subs is connected by just over 50ft of cable running through the wall/ceiling. Don't think you need to worry about it.

Last edited by t231; 09-16-2014 at 05:59 PM.
post #13806 of 13817 Unread 09-16-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
No hum here other then the room begging for mercy.
post #13807 of 13817 Unread 09-16-2014, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
No hum here other then the room begging for mercy.
Ha same!!!
post #13808 of 13817 Unread 09-16-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:

I don't know of any subs in their price range that have balanced inputs.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13809 of 13817 Unread 09-16-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 73
started with my first "real" sub as the svs pb10nsd. enjoyed that for many years and thought it was fantastic. ran across an article about PSA and how the owner was Tom V. and became interested. noticed they had 15's and became very interested in replacing my very capable pb10. temptation got the better of me and next thing you know i had an xv15 ordered. got it, and soon after sold the pb10...was absolutely floored by the capability of the xv15. loved it. kept hearing about the love for duals...swore i would never need duals as i was very happy with the single xv. again, gave in to temptation and wanted to see what all this dual talk was about. long story moderately short, there is a big difference between a single and duals and can't imagine going back. so, i know you SAY you only need one sub, but eventually you will find yourself creating a space for a second sub and you will realize how smooth and powerful it is...no matter where you are in the room. great stuff. btw, also had a friend that was there when i dialed in the single xv....called me crazy when i got the dual xv....he came over to see the difference...he doesn't call me crazy anymore. he calls himself envious.

and to weigh in on the balanced inputs...no need. i have one running off a 6' sub cable, the other on a 20' cable run through the basement. my receiver only has single sub input, so figure a y splitter in there too. no hum, no distortion, no nothing. don't sweat the fact there aren't balanced inputs....just plug and go!
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
post #13810 of 13817 Unread 09-16-2014, 08:54 PM
rel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just checking back in with the status of the XV15se setup. The last run with Audyssey ended up at -8db with the gain at 1:00, and after bumping up the trim to -2db, it definitely sounds fuller with acoustic music, and there's a definite difference with movie LFE.

After running some bass-heavy music as a test, I can tell that I still have some work to do, but it's a step in the right direction. The frustrating part is that I know it has much more to offer than what I'm getting out of it.

I'm stepping away from it for a couple of days since my wife is tired of me messing with it, and I'll take another shot with "fresh ears" and report back.

My guess is that I'll have to bump the gain closer to the 2:00 point where I'll end up in the neighborhood of -10 or -11db as a starting point, and run hot from there.
post #13811 of 13817 Unread Yesterday, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreshEntrailsX View Post
I went from a sinlge originals xv-15 to dual xv-15's to an original xv-15 with an xv-15 .. and now i'm sitting at a single xs30se.. Personally I'm not missing a whole lot from the duals.. I have a 5k^ft room.. Living room/kitchen/dining room.. I am only really concerned with my LP.. so even response wasn't that big of a deal... I could get the dual XV's much louder .. but i listen at moderate levels.. so extra headroom only came in handy when showing it off to people.. lol..

I over all prefer the sound of sealed vs ported.. its tighter and punchier.. Don't get me wrong the XV-15s are awesome subs.. I just prefer the xs30se... And it goes plenty low.. enough to knock picture off the wall during Captain America Winter soldier.. but only having one the subs position can't be set in stone.. you will need the ability to move it all over to find the best location.. I ended up putting mine directly behind my couch.. and it effing rocks...

I do plan on getting a second xs30se later on.. just because there is something about duals that makes it hard to go to a single .. but I don't regret my change at all.. and I'm able to stay with a single for a while without being disappointed..

This is just my 2 cents..

I am in some what agreement... now I am confused which sub to keep and time is almost nearing for one sub to go back to PSA.. as the 30 day return is nearing...

but I agree XS30SE seems tighter and punch at times... but a single(not dual) XV15SE... is loud at times for the same song or scene from movie.. but might lack the tightness and punch that XS30SE might provide to the same scene etc... and this is killing me to decide which one to keep...

damn XS30SE or XV15SE.. will play some more with them...

I will add another one later down the road I believe....not sure yet.. as one seems enough if you increase the volume... but to smooth out the sound and to not feel from where the bass is coming.. second might help in that... as some times it is clear from where the bass is coming.. and sometimes it is spread all around the room...

PS: after lot of calibrations and stuff I was able to find a spot which seems to work good for both subs....
ahblaza likes this.

PSN ID: adnaanasiim
Trophy Card:

post #13812 of 13817 Unread Yesterday, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post
I am in some what agreement... now I am confused which sub to keep and time is almost nearing for one sub to go back to PSA.. as the 30 day return is nearing...

but I agree XS30SE seems tighter and punch at times... but a single(not dual) XV15SE... is loud at times for the same song or scene from movie.. but might lack the tightness and punch that XS30SE might provide to the same scene etc... and this is killing me to decide which one to keep...

I will add another one later down the road I believe....not sure yet.. as one seems enough if you increase the volume... but to smooth out the sound and to not feel from where the bass is coming.. second might help in that... as some times it is clear from where the bass is coming.. and sometimes it is spread all around the room...

PS: after lot of calibrations and stuff I was able to find a spot which seems to work good for both subs....
Red pill or blue pill?

Since the "SE" upgrade, a lot of guys have had a more difficult time deciding between the XS and the XV.

To make your decision process even harder, for a measly $600, you can have two XV15se subs and 3db - 6dB more sound if co-located... Just sayin' brah.
ahblaza likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #13813 of 13817 Unread Yesterday, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg_Optoma View Post

I will add another one later down the road I believe.
Seems like an easy choice. You can always add volume with gain or more subs not you can add tighness and punch. XS30SE for the win.
post #13814 of 13817 Unread Yesterday, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Xs30se

Guys, I moved my subs last night after gain matching in center of the room and put them back in their corners but this time I had one driver of each corner sub firing into front wall and the other into my room and placed my monitors on the subs. Gain on the subs was at 2:00 trim leve 0dB. To make a long story short I never heard my subs (XS30SEs) sound better, I watched the Captain America last night and this movie has some real low bass and a lot of it. I was floored, literally, the punch and crispness of the LFE was unbelievable, the chest slam had me going for my portable O2 supply, seriously The small monitors on top of the subs never even budged and localization was nonexistent, I was beat down with low frequency output, my XS30SEs really came alive, I thought I would pass this on with anybody on the fence with the XS30SE or two of them, go for it. I know now that I will have that third one for the rear of my MLP, I may as well get back slammed as well as chest slammed
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #13815 of 13817 Unread Yesterday, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Guys, I moved my subs last night after gain matching in center of the room and put them back in their corners but this time I had one driver of each corner sub firing into front wall and the other into my room and placed my monitors on the subs. Gain on the subs was at 2:00 trim leve 0dB. To make a long story short I never heard my subs (XS30SEs) sound better, I watched the Captain America last night and this movie has some real low bass and a lot of it. I was floored, literally, the punch and crispness of the LFE was unbelievable, the chest slam had me going for my portable O2 supply, seriously The small monitors on top of the subs never even budged and localization was nonexistent, I was beat down with low frequency output, my XS30SEs really came alive, I thought I would pass this on with anybody on the fence with the XS30SE or two of them, go for it. I know now that I will have that third one for the rear of my MLP, I may as well get back slammed as well as chest slammed
Cheers Jeff
Glad to hear it my friend! Those xs30se's look like real monsters from what I have seen, now hopefully you stay satisfied.

I have been wondering about upgrading to a dual driver model myself (xv30fse in my case). Too bad that monstrosity isn't on summer of bass.
post #13816 of 13817 Unread Today, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anybody ever do an actual in-home comparison of dual SVS-PC12-NSD with dual PSA XS15SE's?
oneeyeblind likes this.

I love it when a [HT] plan comes together!
post #13817 of 13817 Unread Today, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Anybody ever do an actual in-home comparison of dual SVS-PC12-NSD with dual PSA XS15SE's?
Most of the comparisons are ported vs. ported or sealed vs. sealed.

The reason is the room environment in question will either work best with sealed or ported from most subwoofer manufacturers. In other words, if the PB12nsd is a better choice for your room instead of say the SB13ultra....then you probably should be looking at the XV15se instead of the XS15se.

Now, having said all that, the XS15se and the sb13ultra are practically identical in performance(extension, clean output, etc). So another way of thinking about your comparison might be...."how does the pb12nsd compare to the sb13ultra"? The reason I bring that up is you might call svs and get their opinion in that regard.

Based on their measurements at www.data-bass.com you can make several observations.

1)The XS15se will extend deeper in most room environments <3500 cu-ft or so.
2)The XS15se will have nearly twice the clean output capability from about 25hz and up.
3)The pb12nsd will have a slight edge in the narrow bandwidth of 16-25hz because the porting adds so much efficiency to the system. Looks to be about 1.5 to 2.0dB
4)The XS15se measures significantly better in all of the "sound quality" metrics (impulse, waterfall, group delay).

I would spend some time at Data Bass reviewing both models before making a final purchase decision.

Also, a new XS15se review has just been published

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread