Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
First ... 47  48  49 50  51  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread
SmokenAshes's Avatar SmokenAshes 08:43 AM 01-29-2013
Its on the way

Thermoform's Avatar Thermoform 06:38 PM 01-29-2013
It was Mrs. Thermoform that thought of a second XS30 before I did!
I moved it to be tucked into the corner next to the left maggie, happened to mention how well it fit, and she let me know she was way ahead of me on that one. She just knew better to mention it before I thought of it because once my fuse is lit I'm unstoppable...
And wouldn't you know it, I get paid three times this month, and my budget only requires two paychecks (thank you YNAB!).

As far as performance goes, I need check in later. The Mrs. is cooking dinner, and I'm hanging out here, unwise...
atabea's Avatar atabea 06:44 PM 01-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermoform View Post

It was Mrs. Thermoform that thought of a second XS30 before I did!
I moved it to be tucked into the corner next to the left maggie, happened to mention how well it fit, and she let me know she was way ahead of me on that one. She just knew better to mention it before I thought of it because once my fuse is lit I'm unstoppable...
And wouldn't you know it, I get paid three times this month, and my budget only requires two paychecks (thank you YNAB!).

As far as performance goes, I need check in later. The Mrs. is cooking dinner, and I'm hanging out here, unwise...

You got a helluva woman there---I can tell you married up
SmokenAshes's Avatar SmokenAshes 07:18 AM 01-30-2013
So the XV30 is suppose to be delivered today and were in a tornado watch until 4pm. Crossing my fingers.
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 07:44 AM 01-30-2013
good luck!!
Alan P's Avatar Alan P 08:40 AM 01-30-2013
Will a 3rd XS15 help my nulls/peaks?

I got my dual XS15s about 3 weeks ago and I love the sound they create compared to my old Velodyne F1500s (19 yrs old). However, the better/newer subs have revealed some nulls and peaks I didn't notice before. After a couple of days of messing around with REW, I've come to the conclusion that my old Velo just does not play well with the PSAs - no matter what settings or placement I try, the Velo always creates a suck out, usually around 50hz, along with a much more erratic SPL graph. Admittedly, I'm still a REW noob and really don't know what all the graphs mean, but I think I can read the SPL graphs. cool.gif

After playing around with placement last night, I think I've determined the best placement for the dual XS15s - one up front between the RF speaker and the TV and one in the back left corner of the room. Since it was late, I didn't really get a chance to test it out at anything close to reference, but at lower levels it really sounded a lot smoother and according to REW, gives me a smoother response at all listening positions. But, I just know I could do better...

Sooooo...do you think a 3rd XS15 will make a significant difference in smoothing response across multiple seating positions? According to Earl Geddes, 3 is the optimum number of subs in a "small" room but my tests using my old Velo as a 3rd weren'r very encouraging. rolleyes.gif
Alan P's Avatar Alan P 09:59 AM 01-30-2013
Just FYI, here's my latest REW measurement with the dual XS15s:

SaviorMachine's Avatar SaviorMachine 11:16 AM 01-30-2013
Ok, that 10Hz response is HOTT
Alan P's Avatar Alan P 12:52 PM 01-30-2013
^^^

So, dis graph, it good?? confused.gif
SaviorMachine's Avatar SaviorMachine 01:17 PM 01-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

^^^

So, dis graph, it good?? confused.gif

Hm, I guess that's up to you; you don't seem satisfied, after all. On the other hand, the strength of the response at the left side of the graph is really impressive. I don't know when I've seen this kind of performance at this price.
SmokenAshes's Avatar SmokenAshes 01:42 PM 01-30-2013
Delivered!
RickMa's Avatar RickMa 01:55 PM 01-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Delivered!
Awesome news man. Saw the news about a touch down in Georgia and was wondering if that was near you or not.
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar Tom Vodhanel 01:59 PM 01-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Just FYI, here's my latest REW measurement with the dual XS15s:

Hi Alan,

If time allows could you measure the FR with only one subwoofer playing at a time(one graph for each sub)? Your graph isn't the worst I've seen but there's definitely room for improvement. 50-70hz being down 10- 15dB relative to 20-30hz will take a lot of the "slam" factor out of music and film soundtracks.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
CRAZYKAT's Avatar CRAZYKAT 02:13 PM 01-30-2013
Quote:

Delivered!

Awesome biggrin.gif
Alan P's Avatar Alan P 02:27 PM 01-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

Hm, I guess that's up to you; you don't seem satisfied, after all. On the other hand, the strength of the response at the left side of the graph is really impressive. I don't know when I've seen this kind of performance at this price.

Well, like I said, I'm very new to any measuring so just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Overall, I am satisfied though. I've got the response very close to the same at mine and my wife's MLPs, but she sometimes watches from the couch and the response there is not so good, couple of really big dips:

The couch is against a wall though, so probably not much more I can do for that seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Hi Alan,

If time allows could you measure the FR with only one subwoofer playing at a time(one graph for each sub)? Your graph isn't the worst I've seen but there's definitely room for improvement. 50-70hz being down 10- 15dB relative to 20-30hz will take a lot of the "slam" factor out of music and film soundtracks.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I have noticed I don't have quite as much mid-bass "slam" as I would like. I'll take those measurements tonight. Should I just turn on one sub at a time, leaving the levels alone?
Alan P's Avatar Alan P 02:39 PM 01-30-2013
Just for info, here's the FR with Audyssey XT engaged:

Alan P's Avatar Alan P 02:41 PM 01-30-2013
And Audyssey OFF (red) and ON (green) overlayed:

SmokenAshes's Avatar SmokenAshes 05:08 PM 01-30-2013
Ok I can tell you one thing, this XV30 will never leave this house. My theater room is upstairs......catch my drift?
SmokenAshes's Avatar SmokenAshes 05:17 PM 01-30-2013
XV30 vs my wife's car

Slingblayde's Avatar Slingblayde 05:23 PM 01-30-2013
Quote:

Ok I can tell you one thing, this XV30 will never leave this house. My theater room is upstairs......catch my drift?

just hope it doesnt take an unscheduled trip into the basement. tongue.gif
Thermoform's Avatar Thermoform 05:29 PM 01-30-2013
Alan,

Have you ever taken measurements from 5-6' closer to the front of the room?
And do you have any bass traps?
RickMa's Avatar RickMa 05:38 PM 01-30-2013
Quote:

XV30 vs my wife's car

And here I thought my box was big, lol
CRAZYKAT's Avatar CRAZYKAT 06:11 PM 01-30-2013
Quote:

XV30 vs my wife's car

HA, Nice photo, biggrin.gif
mmarki's Avatar mmarki 06:17 PM 01-30-2013
Quote:

XV30 vs my wife's car

That looks huge!! How did you get it upstairs to your theater?
SmokenAshes's Avatar SmokenAshes 06:33 PM 01-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarki View Post

That looks huge!! How did you get it upstairs to your theater?

The top of the box just slides off so that part was real easy. So then you just pick up the sub from there. The hard part was carrying the sub through the house then upstairs. Took multiple breaks lol.
mmarki's Avatar mmarki 06:39 PM 01-30-2013
Quote:

The top of the box just slides off so that part was real easy. So then you just pick up the sub from there. The hard part was carrying the sub through the house then upstairs. Took multiple breaks lol.

Wow! That's a lot of weight to carry. Isn't it 158 lbs?
SmokenAshes's Avatar SmokenAshes 07:03 PM 01-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarki View Post

Wow! That's a lot of weight to carry. Isn't it 158 lbs?

I had a buddy help me. My wife tried to help me but when she tried to lift up the other end she was like "nope not happening" so I called a friend lol. But even with a friend this thing nearly killed me going upstairs lol
Lebreeze's Avatar Lebreeze 07:07 PM 01-30-2013
My xv 15 made a really strange noise today for the first time. I was just watching xmen first class and the scene when keven bacon engulfs the hand grenade. Made a really bad sound. I rewound and it did the sound again. It's weird because I was only at -10. My gain is at 3 o'clock and sub is set to plus +1.5 on my avr. Not sure but my best guess is it bottomed out? I just find it strange because I've listened to other bass heavy movies at higher volume and never had a problem. I turned the gain down hopefully never heared that sound again.
RickMa's Avatar RickMa 07:24 PM 01-30-2013
Going from what my old Klipsch sounded like when it bottomed out it would have been a VERY loud pop that would scare the crap outta you.
I think PSA has a type of DSP built into the amp to stop that sort of thing, but to play it safe give them a call and explain exactly what it sounded like.
I have pushed mine pretty hard during the same movie and I can tell when I am over doing it...It starts to get...for lack of a better word, fluttery.
RickMa's Avatar RickMa 07:31 PM 01-30-2013
Quote:

I had a buddy help me. My wife tried to help me but when she tried to lift up the other end she was like "nope not happening" so I called a friend lol. But even with a friend this thing nearly killed me going upstairs lol
Reminds me of carrying my old 46" rear projection up to my old flat 20 plus years ago. The stairs must have been on a 60 degree angle. We had 3 guys under the TV pushing up the stairs. We left it there when we moved smile.gif
Tags: Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
First ... 47  48  49 50  51  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop