Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 499 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25934Likes

Old 11-15-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Well guys, my only neighbor just put up a "for sale" sign on their house. My lady says it's probably because of my subs... I told her if that's the case then I.... WIN!!!!
nashou66, ahblaza, gbreda and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 580
that will teach him to have inferior sub woofage. he was probably ashamed of his bass module and left town to save face.
0ckymofo likes this.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just purchased two PSA T-18s… First HT subs I've ever owned :-D
Timokreon and Hopinater like this.

Onkyo TX-809 Reciever 
Tekton Double Impact L-C-R
Energy Veritas 6.2 rears (2)
Power Sound Audio T-18 Subwoofer
Emotiva Xpr-5 Amp.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Need help

I own 2 PSA XV30fse subs. My room is 22 wide by 34 deep. I have my subs in the front corners. One issue is it has carpet, so I ended up flipping my subs with the port facing the ceiling because I feel like it is a bass killer. Another problem is my seating is in the middle of my theater room with no solid backing behind them. Was wondering if anyone has any tips to better focus bass to my seating? Prior to these subs I had 2 SVS PB12/2, which have bass plates and rear facing ports, so I feel like my bass rippled through the room better, as far as the PSA's I feel like the they dig deeper, it sounds like monsters trying to come through the doors and things like to fall off the walls upstairs, but like I said the middle has been kind of a dead zone.
Thanks in advance
Old 11-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I had my brother over today (hadn't seen him for a long time) and got to demo the entire system for him. He has his own gear, so he actually appreciates this stuff too lol. So basically my entire system destroys his...3 times I heard "That's a beautiful picture, wish mine looked like that". (I have a 65VT50 with really good settings, he has a Mitsubishi DLP that is giving him problems). And the surrounds and speakers I got compliments too, along with "HOW much did you spend?" (Andrew Jones 5.0 setup FTW!).

And the XV15se...I was able to tell re-running that same scenes as before I changed the amp out that some output is definitely missing from before. But it wasn't to a level where I think anything was fundamentally wrong. I just may need to re run YPAO till I get it to give similar corrections as before and then adjust again the same way (+4 db on the sub). But even as it was, I got comments of "Wow" and "My system doesn't do that!". With the Kung Fu Panda 'Scadoosh' scene, he had no idea that bass was even there!

Always fun to show this stuff off to those who appreciate it

So re setup tomorrow, and then...I don't know. I DO get monster output from about 22 hz up, there is no doubt about that. I still just have no idea if I'm really getting the extension that I wanted, or if I just hear gobs of mid-bass and mistake that for depth. I wish there was a cheap way, without buying a lot of extra gear, that I could have a test and say ok, if you do/play this and you feel something, then you have 18hz extension. (The test tones I used were only 3 seconds long, but I won't do them more that the couple times for fear of hurting the thing.)

Old 11-15-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1732
Alan, that's a tough call my friend, the dual T-18s are going to give you gobs of output but my concern is it going to be even or smooth enough for you at all listening positions, isn't that one of your concerns that at MLP all is good, move off that spot and all is gone. As tempting as the T-18s are I would have to go with four subs with less output each evenly arranged around your space for the best FR. You'll have so many more options IMO with the four XV30s as you can only put the T-18s in the rear of your room, not much flexibility but plenty of output. Dual Triaxs in my place was the ticket but at the time I couldn't afford it as I too need multiple subs. I don't know my man, decisions and more decisions, seems like money isn't a problem. Get a few more suggestions before you decide, you don't want to pay return shipping on any of those subs
Cheers Jeff
Old 11-15-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossdog304 View Post
I own 2 PSA XV30fse subs. My room is 22 wide by 34 deep. I have my subs in the front corners. One issue is it has carpet, so I ended up flipping my subs with the port facing the ceiling because I feel like it is a bass killer. Another problem is my seating is in the middle of my theater room with no solid backing behind them. Was wondering if anyone has any tips to better focus bass to my seating? Prior to these subs I had 2 SVS PB12/2, which have bass plates and rear facing ports, so I feel like my bass rippled through the room better, as far as the PSA's I feel like the they dig deeper, it sounds like monsters trying to come through the doors and things like to fall off the walls upstairs, but like I said the middle has been kind of a dead zone.
Thanks in advance
If you go over to the REW thread you'll find out that having your MLP in the middle of the room is not a real good situation. That's a tough one my friend, you may have to try and move your MLP closer to the front or further back. I'm about 10' from the rear wall and it's good for me. Have you thought of setting up on the long wall?
oneeyeblind likes this.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ckymofo View Post
lol... way to jump into the deep end! Love it! Very well done. I'm jelly. lol..

I would love to have some triaxes (t18s) whatever they're called... just no moola for the fun stuff. lol..
oneeyeblind likes this.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Remember, the Triax is "only" about 160 pounds now sans grills. I have been sliding one around into different positions in the office for the past few months and its no big deal. Let me know when you want to try out 2-3 of the new T-18s..

No discussions at all for driver upgrades for any products...near future or otherwise.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ooohh already in trouble with 2 subs at home.. please don't pull me into getting T too

btw seriously me and many of us here would have already had xv30se's or T and even multiples of them..if there were part of the summer of bass promotion.. but obviously they are beasts and to and fro shipping would be killing... and more than that the moving and in around by us would just makes us to keep it than send it back after auditioning...

i really wanted to even keep the dual xs15s'e along with dual xs30se's but i would be in serious trouble at home
oneeyeblind likes this.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timokreon View Post
lol... way to jump into the deep end! Love it! Very well done. I'm jelly. lol..

I would love to have some triaxes (t18s) whatever they're called... just no moola for the fun stuff. lol..
lol. Thing is, I've had no money for long enough to read many members spending wayyy more just upgrading over and over and over, than just spending it all at once.. So… Yeah.. I knew if I didn't just go all out, I'd have the upgrade fever too.

Onkyo TX-809 Reciever 
Emotiva Xpr-5 Amp.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:48 PM

What really put me over the edge, is that they are going to raise the price of these soon.. so Buy them before soon!

Onkyo TX-809 Reciever 
Emotiva Xpr-5 Amp.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1994
Quote:
What really put me over the edge, is that they are going to raise the price of these soon.. so Buy them before soon!

The Triax is going up in price again?
Old 11-16-2014, 12:28 AM

Yeah.. I was told today, "as soon as they have time to update their website, it will be around 3300$"

Onkyo TX-809 Reciever 
Emotiva Xpr-5 Amp.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
I wish there was a cheap way, without buying a lot of extra gear,

Dude! your killing me, a umik is $75, that and REW will tell you all you need to know. Seriously, Ill send you mine if you cant do the money and send it back when youre done. I get you feel somethings missing, (its a umik) but youll never know if you don't measure, it will tell you what fq's and dbspl the sub is producing, no guessing.
nashou66 and ahblaza like this.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1728 Post(s)
Liked: 2539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
Is there any real way to set subwoofer phase by ear, or does it absolutely need a mic? I'm inspired to get the phase right after reading that other guy's results. I like more "chest slam".
Yes. Play some bass heavy music that has a good thumping beat(not super low dubstep), listen very loud, switch phase in the AVR. If the bass improves, you were out of phase, leave it. If it gets worse, switch back your phase was correct.
Omni009 likes this.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately there is a built in bar behind the seating area. Screen is 165" so moving closer is imax effect, which I don't mind, but I've had 2 ppl vomit so far. Unless I built a wall behind the seating with an opening to the bar.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:30 AM

Long wall is also a good suggestion, have to lessen the screen size.
ahblaza likes this.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
wow, ain't no half steppin' with this fella! congrats on two monsters you got there. you are going to go from blind to seeing all the light the world has to offer....better wear shades!
oneeyeblind and 0ckymofo like this.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 5112
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossdog304 View Post
Thanks in advance
The port orientation can lead to differences in the bass response at your seating position(s) as the port is moved 40 inches or so. However, having the port facing down, into the carpet, is fine. The carpet/padding would need to be 3-4 inches thick to even BEGIN to have an effect on the bass output of the subwoofer.

Sitting equidistant to 2 or more boundaries will usually cause problems. Any chance you can place both XV30Fse subs right behind the seating? Maybe on their sides, stacked?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 4970
Quote:
Wow! Congratulations that's a great subwoofer and PSA is a very good company to work with. I think you will be very happy. Let us know your impressions once you get your sub.
0ckymofo likes this.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

When can we expect to see some measurement numbers and graphs on the PSA site for the new Triax-18. I'd also like to see some pictures of the mystery Eminence driver that's being used.

From the one picture that I've seen posted the driver appears to have the same cone and surround as the Eminence driver used in the new Chane SBE-118 passive sub.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I had the morning to myself to rerun YPAO several times, and I finally got it like it was before, with it setting all speakers properly to small, and sub at -6.0 which I bumped up to -1.5. I have the missing output back! It now sounds just like the previous amp did. (Only other adjustment I had to make was to lower the crossover from 100hz to 80hz).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Dude! your killing me, a umik is $75, that and REW will tell you all you need to know. Seriously, Ill send you mine if you cant do the money and send it back when youre done. I get you feel somethings missing, (its a umik) but youll never know if you don't measure, it will tell you what fq's and dbspl the sub is producing, no guessing.
Yea, it is the money right now. I basically blew the wad buying the sub. I stretched my budget out to get this over a discounted PB2000, and even with that I got a discounted b-stock unit for a bit less from PSA. My wife will kill me if I spend that much more on a mic right now...75 yes, but I think shipping too right? (PSA sells them for 90 so I figured that much.) I could get away with maybe a 30 dollar SPL meter from Shack, but not this.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 587
If you want try the RS meter, if its still not helping, offer still stands
ahblaza and Omni009 like this.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:14 PM

Thanks Tom I have tried multiple spots with the subs, but not stacked behind the seats. Thanks for the info on the carpet, my friend and I agreed they sounded better that way. I need some REW work, see about the phase, see about acoustics. I think its going to be multiple things that will cure my issue.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 6050
So I was home by myself most of the afternoon...it was a cold snowy day, so I stayed in and let the Triple XV15's do some flexing. I downloaded the Vibrometer app from the playstore to see how much tactile feedback I was getting. Well apparently quite a bit...@ MV -0 I was hitting peaks of 7.2 at the LP.

It feels like the description too lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-11-16-19-32-39.jpg
Views:	966
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	370297  
Alan P, Omni009 and Hopinater like this.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 4970
Nice!!! That looks like a fun little app to play with. It would be cool if the description was literal and you could watch heavy furniture "walk" across the room as the XV15s pounded the room into submission.

That was definitely a good use of a little down time.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 6050
Yea I would say difficult to stand is a exaggeration but the couches do feel like they are moving. Dishes in my kitchen 40ft away sound like they are going to fall out of the cabinets lol. I have a couple bass songs that roll down into the 18-20hz range and the entire house(2100sq ft ranch) pressurizes. I could not imagine what 3 T-18's would do placed in the same locations.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Yea I would say difficult to stand is a exaggeration but the couches do feel like they are moving. Dishes in my kitchen 40ft away sound like they are going to fall out of the cabinets lol. I have a couple bass songs that roll down into the 18-20hz range and the entire house(2100sq ft ranch) pressurizes. I could not imagine what 3 T-18's would do placed in the same locations.

How about six UXL-18's? ....lol

Last edited by jbrown15; 11-16-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:45 PM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
So I was home by myself most of the afternoon...it was a cold snowy day, so I stayed in and let the Triple XV15's do some flexing. I downloaded the Vibrometer app from the playstore to see how much tactile feedback I was getting. Well apparently quite a bit...@ MV -0 I was hitting peaks of 7.2 at the LP.

What were you listening to?

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
Old 11-16-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I don't understand how this works, is it from just your sub's output or speakers and subs? TIA
Cheers Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread