Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 506 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #15151 of 15173 Old 11-21-2014, 09:58 PM
Senior Member
 
morbidcorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
You got your sub in the front corner right? Crossed at 80hz? You shouldn't be getting any localization at all no matter what the sub trim (well, within reason).



Yes, closing the register will help with bass leakage (although, with that small of an opening, I wouldn't worry too much about that), but more importantly, you won't be cooking your sub.

Remind me...have you measured your response with REW? If not, I would suggest this be your next step.
Yes, sub in front corner, mains are crossed at 80hz if that's what you're asking? If not, LPF of LFE setting in receiver is set to 100hz. I haven't had a chance to start learning REW. I don't have a mic for it yet, either.

morbidcorpse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #15152 of 15173 Old 11-21-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,791
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Sounds like you're planning on getting REW up and running though....? That's good, it's really the best thing you can do to learn what's going on in your room and how to fix it.

Yes, that's what I was asking....you really shouldn't be getting any localization. If you are, that's telling me that you have a nasty peak somewhere and the only way to find it is with REW.
Alan P is online now  
post #15153 of 15173 Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM
Member
 
t231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I also have the Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.1 setup (gave the sub away) and feel they're punching significantly above their price point. I cross my center and surrounds at 100hz and my towers at 90hz. Works quite well in my room, localization isn't an issue unless you consider the couch near the PSA sub shakes a bit more than other seating positions.
t231 is offline  
post #15154 of 15173 Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
The key is regardless of what others say/do, Audyssey or YPAO knows what your speaker is capable of IN YOUR ROOM. Never lower the xover than what set. There are many benefits in raising the xover as long as it does not become localize: 1.your sub does a MUCH MUCH better job. 2. Your receiver does not have to work as hard. 3. It release stress on your speaker allowing it to deliver clean/clear sound in what it is capable of doing. My main can go low to 25hz measured in my room. I have them xovered at 80 and planning to raise to 100 for the stated reasons.
+1

Btw, I have crossover set to 120hz with no issues. I'm using small NHT bookshelf speakers for surrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
@ Alan, with the original Triax box it had straps over the top of the box, cut those and just lift the lid of the box off and the sides will fall down exposing your beautiful beast, real easy, no lifting. I would imagine it's the same for the T-18, maybe not as the T-18 is close to 70 pounds lighter than the Triax 15s were.
Cheers Jeff
+1

Alan, do not flip the box over. As ahblaza said, just lift the upper box off. The sub is fairly easy to slide sitting in the box base. It will really help if you can get someone to help. Having help moving my original Triax made things much easier. Perhaps the reduction in weight will make it more manageable though.
oneeyeblind likes this.
Saturn94 is offline  
post #15155 of 15173 Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Went to see FURY at the theatre last night. It will have an amazing sound effects when it comes out on blu ray!! Great movie too.
oneeyeblind likes this.
Brker19 is online now  
post #15156 of 15173 Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by t231 View Post
I also have the Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.1 setup (gave the sub away) and feel they're punching significantly above their price point. I cross my center and surrounds at 100hz and my towers at 90hz. Works quite well in my room, localization isn't an issue unless you consider the couch near the PSA sub shakes a bit more than other seating positions.
Ahhh yes, couch shaking bass... is there anything better? That's the best way to have localization of bass. That and watching your pant legs flap around, that's fun too.
Hopinater is online now  
post #15157 of 15173 Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
Member
 
rangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brker19 View Post
Went to see FURY at the theatre last night. It will have an amazing sound effects when it comes out on blu ray!! Great movie too.
Yeah, I already preordered it, it is a great war movie. Gonna be awesome on Bluray

JTR Noesis 228 (LCR)
Polk Audio LSiM 703 (Surrounds)
Seaton SubMersive HP Plus and Minus (Subs)
Denon 3312 (Receiver)
Sherbourn PA 7-350 (Amp)
Oppo BDP-103 (BluRay Player)
Sharp 80" 3D
rangers is offline  
post #15158 of 15173 Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Sweet! UMIK is here. Now the fun begins. I have to take care of some things this afternoon but after that the learning begins as I dive into the world of REW and see what's really going on in my HT.
Hopinater is online now  
post #15159 of 15173 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Sweet! UMIK is here. Now the fun begins. I have to take care of some things this afternoon but after that the learning begins as I dive into the world of REW and see what's really going on in my HT.
Excellent! And be glad you already have two subs(measuring usually leads to buying a 2nd sub. )

If you don't have a miniDSP yet, might as well plan on that soon.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

bear123 is online now  
post #15160 of 15173 Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
Member
 
t231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Ahhh yes, couch shaking bass... is there anything better? That's the best way to have localization of bass. That and watching your pant legs flap around, that's fun too.
I haven't seen or felt pant leg flapping bass. Not sure if I haven't demoed the right material at the right volume or I have too much space for the phenomenon... Anyone in the OH area want to demo pant shaking bass for me?
t231 is offline  
post #15161 of 15173 Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Excellent! And be glad you already have two subs(measuring usually leads to buying a 2nd sub. )

If you don't have a miniDSP yet, might as well plan on that soon.
Yeah I thought I would hold off on that until after I do the measuring just on the outside chance that all could be solved without it. But I'm sure you are right, I'll end up with it soon enough.
Hopinater is online now  
post #15162 of 15173 Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by t231 View Post
I haven't seen or felt pant leg flapping bass. Not sure if I haven't demoed the right material at the right volume or I have too much space for the phenomenon... Anyone in the OH area want to demo pant shaking bass for me?
Just experienced it the other night when I played the rocket launch scene in Enders Game.
Hopinater is online now  
post #15163 of 15173 Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM
Senior Member
 
digler84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Just experienced it the other night when I played the rocket launch scene in Enders Game.
such an awesome scene. if you want to truly test your sub woofrage, run that scene....you will find out your limitations. that and the end scene with the planet. booooooooooooooommmmmminnnnggggg!
digler84 is offline  
post #15164 of 15173 Old Today, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
such an awesome scene. if you want to truly test your sub woofrage, run that scene....you will find out your limitations. that and the end scene with the planet. booooooooooooooommmmmminnnnggggg!
Absolutely! And when you're sitting next to an XV15 all sorts of things start moving.
Hopinater is online now  
post #15165 of 15173 Old Today, 08:03 AM
Member
 
perfectevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quick update on my T18's.

I realized last Monday that the RCA isolation transformers I used to get rid of ground loop issues were also attenuating low frequency signals. So I got some new isolation transformers that are rated at +/- 1 dB to 10 Hz and put those in on Friday. Immediately I had about a 6 dB change when setting up the 75 dB levels for Audyssey and had to lower the subwoofer gain to get back to 75 dB.

So running some movie and music samples it was obvious I was getting more 20 Hz and lower bass which was definitely awesome. Which brings me to my next issue, the right side of my theater room has three doors and is basically a rattle trap. So my next adventure is figuring out how to eliminate some rattles.
khactuyen likes this.
perfectevolution is online now  
post #15166 of 15173 Old Today, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Okay I've been reading the REW thread and I have a quick question. I have joined HT Shack and will be downloading REW later today (after some football). I will be using HDMI to connect the laptop to the receiver so my question is do I need to download the latest driver for ASIO4ALL or is that part of REW. If I do need to download it, where do I get it? Thanks in advance for any help.
Hopinater is online now  
post #15167 of 15173 Old Today, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Hey guys I currently have a PSA XV15 and am interested in purchasing another PSA sub, however, I have pretty limited space in regards to where I can put the thing. The places that I can put it are kind of cramped as well and another XV15 would really stick out from the wall quite a bit. I was wondering what would be the cons in purchasing a XS15se?

My main concern is if there would be any potential problem when running a sealed subwoofer in conjunction with a ported subwoofer? They'd be about 15 feet apart on opposite corners of the room. Right now the XV15 is directly to the right of my MLP (couch) and I would be putting the XS15 in between my TV stand and left front main.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
jhughy2010 is online now  
post #15168 of 15173 Old Today, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Hey guys I currently have a PSA XV15 and am interested in purchasing another PSA sub, however, I have pretty limited space in regards to where I can put the thing. The places that I can put it are kind of cramped as well and another XV15 would really stick out from the wall quite a bit. I was wondering what would be the cons in purchasing a XS15se?

My main concern is if there would be any potential problem when running a sealed subwoofer in conjunction with a ported subwoofer? They'd be about 15 feet apart on opposite corners of the room. Right now the XV15 is directly to the right of my MLP (couch) and I would be putting the XS15 in between my TV stand and left front main.
I started a thread last year asking this same question and the answer that I got was it CAN be done but it's not nearly as easy as just having two ported subs. Ideally, you want two or more of the same subs working together because it makes calibrating them much easier. Getting a sealed and a ported sub to work well together will most likely take more work on your part, perhaps quit a bit more work.

Every room is different so it's hard to say how well it would work in your room. If I were you I would talk with Tom. On the bright side you could always get the XS15 and see if you can get the two subs dialed in. If you can't you can always return it and get the XV15. The free shipping makes this a safe experiment.
Hopinater is online now  
post #15169 of 15173 Old Today, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I started a thread last year asking this same question and the answer that I got was it CAN be done but it's not nearly as easy as just having two ported subs. Ideally, you want two or more of the same subs working together because it makes calibrating them much easier. Getting a sealed and a ported sub to work well together will most likely take more work on your part, perhaps quit a bit more work.

Every room is different so it's hard to say how well it would work in your room. If I were you I would talk with Tom. On the bright side you could always get the XS15 and see if you can get the two subs dialed in. If you can't you can always return it and get the XV15. The free shipping makes this a safe experiment.
Ok that is kind of what I thought. I have been considering purchasing a new subwoofer for my master bedroom. I was considering getting an SVS SB-2000 or SB-1000. However, maybe it would be beneficial to re-purpose my XV15 into my master bedroom and then purchase either a XS30se or a XV30c for the spot where the XV15 is sitting now? Again, I really don't have the room for another XV15 in the main living room but maybe something that has more output would do the trick? Just a thought....

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
jhughy2010 is online now  
post #15170 of 15173 Old Today, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
nx211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectevolution View Post
Quick update on my T18's.

I realized last Monday that the RCA isolation transformers I used to get rid of ground loop issues were also attenuating low frequency signals. So I got some new isolation transformers that are rated at +/- 1 dB to 10 Hz and put those in on Friday. Immediately I had about a 6 dB change when setting up the 75 dB levels for Audyssey and had to lower the subwoofer gain to get back to 75 dB.

So running some movie and music samples it was obvious I was getting more 20 Hz and lower bass which was definitely awesome. Which brings me to my next issue, the right side of my theater room has three doors and is basically a rattle trap. So my next adventure is figuring out how to eliminate some rattles.

What new isolation transformers did you get?
nx211 is offline  
post #15171 of 15173 Old Today, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Ok that is kind of what I thought. I have been considering purchasing a new subwoofer for my master bedroom. I was considering getting an SVS SB-2000 or SB-1000. However, maybe it would be beneficial to re-purpose my XV15 into my master bedroom and then purchase either a XS30se or a XV30c for the spot where the XV15 is sitting now? Again, I really don't have the room for another XV15 in the main living room but maybe something that has more output would do the trick? Just a thought....
Usually two subs will be better than one in a room for smoothing purposes. Maybe you could do what you are thinking and throw the XV15 into the mater bedroom and get an XS30 now while saving for down the road when you could get an XS15 if you find you need or want it. The XS30 and the XS15 would do great together.

One other option would be to see if Tom would let you trade in the XV15 for credit towards the XS30 or two XS15s.
jhughy2010 likes this.
Hopinater is online now  
post #15172 of 15173 Old Today, 02:37 PM
Member
 
perfectevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nx211 View Post
What new isolation transformers did you get?
Blue Jeans Cable SWT1. I had to contact them for the specs as I couldn't see them listed anywhere.
perfectevolution is online now  
post #15173 of 15173 Old Today, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
digler84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Ok that is kind of what I thought. I have been considering purchasing a new subwoofer for my master bedroom. I was considering getting an SVS SB-2000 or SB-1000. However, maybe it would be beneficial to re-purpose my XV15 into my master bedroom and then purchase either a XS30se or a XV30c for the spot where the XV15 is sitting now? Again, I really don't have the room for another XV15 in the main living room but maybe something that has more output would do the trick? Just a thought....
or get two xv30's due to the smaller footprint. now THAT would solve everything in your room!
jhughy2010 likes this.
digler84 is offline  
post #15174 of 15173 Old Today, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Usually two subs will be better than one in a room for smoothing purposes. Maybe you could do what you are thinking and throw the XV15 into the mater bedroom and get an XS30 now while saving for down the road when you could get an XS15 if you find you need or want it. The XS30 and the XS15 would do great together.

One other option would be to see if Tom would let you trade in the XV15 for credit towards the XS30 or two XS15s.
Lots of great options. I wonder how a sealed enclosure would do with my huge room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
or get two xv30's due to the smaller footprint. now THAT would solve everything in your room!
Yeah the XV30F would certainly produce quite the output. Unfortunately the footprint is actually a bit bigger than the XV15se. Two XV30F would be a great idea though if someone wanted four subwoofers but didn't want the extra footprint of two of them.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
jhughy2010 is online now  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off