post #15211 of 15219 Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 1229
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Great information, thanks! I see in that comparison they compared the NON-se version to the SB-13U and found the music capability to be not as good. Am I safe to assume that comparing the XS30SE to the PC-12 Plus, they would be closer in music performance?
In terms of overall sound quality I wouldn't be surprised if you found the XS30se to be a bit better. It will have better impulse, group delay, ringing metrics. In terms of sheer output capabilities, the XS30se will have approximately 3x the headroom from 50hz and up so it will be able to play significantly louder, cleaner, and "effortlessly" is you enjoy cranking up an occasional concert DVD to realistic levels.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15212 of 15219 Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Gain settings on our Power-X series usually need to be set quite a bit higher than other brands. Our input sensitivity isn't as high.(remember the gain really just changes the input sensitivity on the amp, it isn't a volume control).

In most cases, I'd start with the gain around the 2/3rd-3/4 rotation area.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thanks
post #15213 of 15219 Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
you DEFINTIELY lose tachtile feel I went from suspended living room floor with my dual xs30's to a basement...and the tactile feel is gone. (well diminished quite a bit) I even put noe near feild, and it ws disappointing. SO I bought a buttkicker...helped a bunch...

I wilol build a very low platform to get the feeling back once I complete my HT down there
What if you just did a sub floor with putting down plywood and didn't really raise it off the floor that much. Think that would help?
post #15214 of 15219 Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Non SE and SE products will perform very well together. The non SE won't have quite the headroom or
composure as you near the performance limits however.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Do you offer any type of deal if I wanted to get a new XS30se and swap out the amp and driver of the original and replace it with a se? I live in Alberta so I would do everything at once for shipping purposes.
post #15215 of 15219 Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Great information, thanks! I see in that comparison they compared the NON-se version to the SB-13U and found the music capability to be not as good. Am I safe to assume that comparing the XS30SE to the PC-12 Plus, they would be closer in music performance?
I cant speak for the PC/PB 12+...but in terms of overall improvement the SE did not disappoint. I know Jim Wilson(aka Jman) after doing a supplemental review of the xs15se thought it was a step up from the original XS15. From my own personal "SE" listening sessions, I was able to clearly discern certain captions sounding more refined with no overhang.... these attributes set the ultra apart from the Non SE version based on my recollection.
ahblaza and dsrussell like this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #15216 of 15219 Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 330
I might try building some platforms to put under my XS30Ses to simulate a raised hardwood floor, probably won't do anything but I still have all that tactile feel with my dual XS30SEs and they aren't near field. By the way guys I just got the Pulse BD today, where is that scene you all talk about in reference to the time into the disc. No I don't have 900 subs, closer to 800. Funny you mentioned that as I just got done talking with Jim about sending me out two more XS30SEs, early Christmas present, so that will 802 subs
Cheers Jeff
basshead81 likes this.

j_nordi
post #15217 of 15219 Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 330
I really believe that putting the 2" feet under the XS30SEs really helped with the tactile feel, same applies to my speaker stands for the 210s, my feet are 2" diameter threaded sliders into 5/16" threaded inserts and with the weight of the 210s 55 lbs. and the ability to level the stands completely really helps with the stands and speakers being inert. I wanted to isolate the stands from the carpet over concrete so that's why I didn't use spikes that would penetrate the carpet into the concrete, I had that setup before and I think it deadened the sound like everything was being sent back up through the stands into the speaker cabs. With this setup now the stands are completely isolated from the concrete and the speakers are isolated as well with heavy duty (up to 70 pounds) dampening pucks that are used on the bases of real heavy computer cases, they are from Quiet PC and do an excellent job of keeping the 210s stable (not moving on the platform) and isolated from the speakers as well, like having the speakers suspended in mid air.......
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #15218 of 15219 Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I might try building some platforms to put under my XS30Ses to simulate a raised hardwood floor, probably won't do anything but I still have all that tactile feel with my dual XS30SEs and they aren't near field. By the way guys I just got the Pulse BD today, where is that scene you all talk about in reference to the time into the disc. No I don't have 900 subs, closer to 800. Funny you mentioned that as I just got done talking with Jim about sending me out two more XS30SEs, early Christmas present, so that will 802 subs
Cheers Jeff
Jeff, to simulate the wood/suspended floor you would want to build a small riser out of wood for your couch. With this your couch would vibrate more with the bass than when it is on concrete. I thought of building a small one for my couch. It would have to be real low, like 2 inches or so. Not sure if that would really help if it was only 2 inches high.
post #15219 of 15219 Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm sure a platform etc would be nice way to get the tactile feel back... but I have the feeling a transducer is quite a bit easier.

My HT is on a slab with carpet and tactile response even from my mighty XS30se's is minimal at everything but extreme volumes. My single crowson under the couch fills in the tactile void nicely -and it's a very natural feel. Highly recommend them.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page