Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 20128Likes

Old 02-10-2013, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

I never worry about the measured bass of a film. If its a good movie, I'll enjoy it with no ULF at all.

If its poorly made, tons of ULF just make it more annoying.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Pulse must be just brutal for you then. smile.gif

***I think its brutal for everyone. The only people I know who have a) watched it, and/or b) own it are just bass heads, myself included.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

"If it works the first time, it's not high end." ~ Harry Pierson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsnine View Post

I just pulled the trigger on ordering a single PSA XV15....so EXCITED!

Excellent, thanks!

You are two days out via fedex so we should ship monday or tuesday depending on how many we can get assembled, tested and boxed. So you'll have it Wed or Thursday. Don't hesitate to email me if you have any setup/calibration questions.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- Ben Franklin
Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Pulse must be just brutal for you then. smile.gif

***I think its brutal for everyone. The only people I know who have a) watched it, and/or b) own it are just bass heads, myself included.

Haven't seen much of that one yet. I don't expect every film to be The Seventh Seal or anything but the amount of attention paid to *really* poor films just because they contain ULF does surprise me a little. Then again I remember filling my living/media room with 150dB capability back in the 1990s and getting excited because we(me and Stan) found two VHS movies that had strong bass <30hz. DVDs came out and we got those Audio Control "Phase Coupled Activators" (how that's for a cool name?). The "mini gun" scene in Predator was quite interesting when you dropped it down an octave..smile.gif

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- Ben Franklin
Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

Hi Tom.. just a quick question.. im a bit confused over some conflicting views at avs..

the acoustic guys are always talking about putting big super bass traps in the front corners.. but the sub guys are say put the sub in the front corner? if i put my main speakers
to close to a corner i do get alot of bass resonance which is not good? and can be greatly improved with a bass trap.. just wondering if you could write about this..
say in a typical rectangular room 13 x 20.. sealed up ..

thanks

It usually comes down to headroom versus response in some fashion. That is, do you go for maximum output capabilities at the expense of smoothest possible response....or, the opposite? Ideally, a happy compromise is found. But the reality is most rooms are dual purpose non treated so even with the advancements in auto-EQ....you're likely to still have choices(compromises) to make. I often recommend starting with the subwoofer in/near a corner as that tends to provide the most headroom----particularly if the corner isn't too far from the seats. In many rooms this will also provide relatively smooth response too. If you have multiple subwoofers and/or "headroom to spare" there are many other options that may work better. Here is a quick read on the subject. http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/multiple-subwoofer-setup-calibration-1

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Excellent, thanks!

You are two days out via fedex so we should ship monday or tuesday depending on how many we can get assembled, tested and boxed. So you'll have it Wed or Thursday. Don't hesitate to email me if you have any setup/calibration questions.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Thanks Tom... Cant wait!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 102
XS30 just arrived! Didn't have enough time to do anything other than unbox it and make sure it worked, should get some time to play with it tomorrow hopefully.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Congrats.

Theatre
Onkyo TX-NR818 * Epson 8700UB * Samsung BD-E5900 * Cornscala - Heresy II - Cornscala (LCR) * PSA XV15 SUB
2 Channel
C 33 Pre * MC 2505 Amp * Thorens TD-160 w/ Denon DL-110
Cornscalas w/ Custom Mid Horns from Dave at Fastlane Audio, Tweeters from Bob Crites and ALK Universal X-Overs.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post

XS30 just arrived! Didn't have enough time to do anything other than unbox it and make sure it worked, should get some time to play with it tomorrow hopefully.

Congratulations, I know I love mine.biggrin.gif

You'll have to change you Signature to Proud Owner.smile.gif

My Living Room  

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=CRAZYKAT

I live in Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you run into any setup or calibration issues be sure to email my support box(or call office).

I'd leave the grills off until you find the final positioning for the XS30 too. If you have them on and accidentally grab the grill instead of the enclosure trying to move it you can crack a grill guide as the XS30 weighs well over 100 pounds.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Old 02-12-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:

If you run into any setup or calibration issues be sure to email my support box(or call office).

I'd leave the grills off until you find the final positioning for the XS30 too. If you have them on and accidentally grab the grill instead of the enclosure trying to move it you can crack a grill guide as the XS30 weighs well over 100 pounds.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Will do!

Thanks for answering all of the questions I had. Can't say enough about how great you made the buying experience. People have been raving about it all through this thread, but It still surprised me.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4321 Post(s)
Liked: 2999
Quote:

+1 Definitely get the more accurate measurements before anything else. Once you have we'll figure out the next/best step.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Hey Tom - got my new USB mic and made some good measurements. You can check them out here. Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

When you absoutley need deep pounding room shaking bass, Dual PSA XV-30's are the answer biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I ordered a pair of Dual PSA XV-30's and they arrived today and I have to say that I am speechless. The size alone is asounding, but the best part is the deep, rich bass. I now can feel the air moving around the room smile.gif

To Tom and Jim, you guys hit it out the park with the XV-30! Great product and great service. Thanks again!

A few pic's of the XV-30's unboxing.

DSCF1962_zpscbe1dca8.jpg

DSCF1963_zpsbc7f6617.jpg

This is the first time that I had to unbox the subs outside, it is a two man job..

DSCF1964_zpsc509b4c4.jpg

DSCF1983_zpsaa4d7ea9.jpg

Hey, I currently have a SVS PC13U in a non sealed room about 6000CFT. I am not satisfied at all with it. The low end bass is so so but the mid and upper bass is pretty terrible. I just got the RMA for the PC13U. As soon as I get my money back, I an pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on either two XV30's or two XS30's. Based on Tom's recommendation, probably run them stacked. I wanted to know, what is your opinion on the mid to upper bass that dual XV30's produce for you? Also, what size room are these in? Is it open or sealed?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 PM

Got to play with my XS30 a little bit today before it got too late. I haven't run Audyssey or anything, just threw it in the corner, set the gain to about 2 o'clock and played the "Pod Emerges" scene in WotW and the Jurassic Park chapter where the T-Rex attacks them. Wow! This thing is no joke!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:

Got to play with my XS30 a little bit today before it got too late. I haven't run Audyssey or anything, just threw it in the corner, set the gain to about 2 o'clock and played the "Pod Emerges" scene in WotW and the Jurassic Park chapter where the T-Rex attacks them. Wow! This thing is no joke!

As you move the subwoofer closer to a wall, the bass output will become stronger and the bass will be maximized, but don’t forget where you place the sofa and chairs is just as important.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 AM

Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by av addiction View Post

As you move the subwoofer closer to a wall, the bass output will become stronger and the bass will be maximized, but don’t forget where you place the sofa and chairs is just as important.

Now I have to worry about furniture placement? eek.gif....tongue.gif

The other day I told my wife, we need to empty the room and foam spray all the walls with three feet of foam insulation. She just smiled and went back to her computer game. tongue.gif
Old 02-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

One does not simply throw an XS30 in the corner lol. The sucker is 111lbs lol, there you go a new sport. Sub chucking!

All jokes aside experiencing both the XS30 and the XV30. The XV30 felt easier to move around. Yeah its about 50lbs heavier but it slides on carpet easier then the XS30.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Hey Tom - got my new USB mic and made some good measurements. You can check them out here. Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hi Alan,

I tried to catch-up over there but the thread seems to be discussing a a lot of different issues. From what I saw, I would recommend the following as general thoughts...

1)try to stick with a single variable each time you make a change. That is, don't try new mic positions AND change the distance/phase on one or more subs. It can be time consuming but if you change more than one thing at a time you'll have a tough road to hoe figuring out what changed what.

2)I'd keep the speaker and sub location as-is for now. The one Audyssey engaged graph showed really smooth bass response. I may have missed something but the primary issue I saw was the deep upper bass null in the 80-160hz range. And this only seemed to occur with Audyssey engaged---correct?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Old 02-14-2013, 09:23 PM

Hi Tom!

Just wanted to say a quick THANK YOU! I just received my XV15 today and couldn't be happier! Been a fan ever since I got the 20-39 PC+...regretted changing it out a few years later for the MFW-15 (due to my ridiculous need for change - crap amps but also a fan of Seaton and his work) , but happy to be getting another one of your great creations again! That's all, nothing more to add than that!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlim123 View Post

Hi Tom!

Just wanted to say a quick THANK YOU! I just received my XV15 today and couldn't be happier! Been a fan ever since I got the 20-39 PC+...regretted changing it out a few years later for the MFW-15 (due to my ridiculous need for change - crap amps but also a fan of Seaton and his work) , but happy to be getting another one of your great creations again! That's all, nothing more to add than that!

congrats..wlecome to the family (again)
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4321 Post(s)
Liked: 2999
Quote:

Hi Alan,

I tried to catch-up over there but the thread seems to be discussing a a lot of different issues. From what I saw, I would recommend the following as general thoughts...

1)try to stick with a single variable each time you make a change. That is, don't try new mic positions AND change the distance/phase on one or more subs. It can be time consuming but if you change more than one thing at a time you'll have a tough road to hoe figuring out what changed what.

2)I'd keep the speaker and sub location as-is for now. The one Audyssey engaged graph showed really smooth bass response. I may have missed something but the primary issue I saw was the deep upper bass null in the 80-160hz range. And this only seemed to occur with Audyssey engaged---correct?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Thanks Tom.

I've been tweaking even more since those measurements, and I've got it flat (+/- 3db) from 20hz to 7khz now. biggrin.gif I do cheat a bit - this "flat" response is with 1/6 smoothing (even in the bass region), but looking at it makes me smile. biggrin.gif I've still got a small issue with my FL/R crossover at 450hz, but that has nothing to do with the PSAs. Sounding really really good now!

Here's the subs +FL/R post-Audyssey response with NO SMOOTHING, flat until the crossover (80hz):

Y'know, I haven't really done any significant HT upgrades in years, but ever since getting my new receiver a couple months ago the sickness has really taken hold again. New PSA subs, new center channel, measuring equipment (and all the hours of measuring that entails), hours and hours of tweaking this and tweaking that - I forgot just how much fun this all is! biggrin.gif

However, now that I'm in upgrade mode, I've been thinking that just maybe....maybe I do need just a bit more sub output after all. wink.gif Don't be surprised if you see an order from me for another XS15 in the near future! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 AM

Liked: 812
Schaweet graph. biggrin.gif
Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM

Does it take a long time to get these (e.g. XS30) or do they ship them pretty quick?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compusmack View Post

Does it take a long time to get these (e.g. XS30) or do they ship them pretty quick?

Quick for me...I ordered my XV15 on the night of the 10th and got it yesterday
Old 02-15-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
I believe there could still be a bit of a wait for the XS30 because of how fast they have been selling for PSA.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital911 View Post

Hey, I currently have a SVS PC13U in a non sealed room about 6000CFT. I am not satisfied at all with it. The low end bass is so so but the mid and upper bass is pretty terrible. I just got the RMA for the PC13U. As soon as I get my money back, I an pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on either two XV30's or two XS30's. Based on Tom's recommendation, probably run them stacked. I wanted to know, what is your opinion on the mid to upper bass that dual XV30's produce for you? Also, what size room are these in? Is it open or sealed?

Thanks

That is a really big room. Duals for sure. I would think the XV30 would be preferred for such a large room, but so much of this is room dependent. With multiples and to maximize the subs in your room you will want a way to measure them.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
I will be rocking the foundation tonight with Skyfall!!!

JTR (3 215 RT, 5 212HTR, 2 Growlers, 4 S2's)
PSA (4 Triax's)
DIY Sound Group (4 Volt 8's in Slanted boxes, 3 Volt 8's in Ported boxes)
SVS (2 SB13+ and one SB12-NSD)
Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Me too!!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3505
Tomorrow night skyfall for me.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Watched it last night. Great flick!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Now I have to worry about furniture placement? eek.gif....tongue.gif

The other day I told my wife, we need to empty the room and foam spray all the walls with three feet of foam insulation. She just smiled and went back to her computer game. tongue.gif

Sure she wasn't browsing for lawyers? smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15