Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 458
^^^

On hold right now.

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4 (Soon to be replaced with dual T-18s!)
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15602 of 15620 Old Today, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Okay, the REW bug has bitten me and now that I have my subs in about the best spot I can find I've started taking measurements from positions all around the MLP. What I've discovered is that if I were to move my MLP forward 24 inches my bass smooths right out from 20Hz to 80Hz with little more than 5dB variation in the graph and that's with Audyssey off. I'm pretty sure with some tweaking that would get better. But if I were to move the seating forward the room would look kind of odd. So the age old question of form vs. function arises.

On another note now that the subs are repositioned I have to say the room sounds very much better. I had definitely been losing out on some very important LFE with the old positioning. I still need to get the minidsp to tweak some things but already things are much improved. There's still work to do but as Basshead said a few days ago, with REW I'm no longer wondering "what if"?

Thanks once again to one and all who helped me out.
IME, and this is not SOP, but I've found that you can "move" the sweet spot a bit if you mess with the phase on your rear sub(s). Your subs will be slightly out-of-phase, but it sometimes works. Give it a shot!

post #15603 of 15620 Old Today, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, just got off the phone with R+L Carriers.

The reason my tracking ended in Minneapolis is because the T-18s got handed off to a "secondary carrier" who apparently is "unmanifested"....anyways, the T-18s arrived in my city this morning!!

They said they should be calling me in a couple hours to schedule delivery. YEAH!

mnc likes this.

post #15604 of 15620 Old Today, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 753
sweet!!! arent you glad I told ya to call...

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #15605 of 15620 Old Today, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

You da man, Brian!

I just hope they can deliver them today...

post #15606 of 15620 Old Today, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
You da man, Brian!

I just hope they can deliver them today...
glad I could help!

most likely not...youll prob get a window tomorrow

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

post #15607 of 15620 Old Today, 12:25 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Okay, the REW bug has bitten me and now that I have my subs in about the best spot I can find I've started taking measurements from positions all around the MLP. What I've discovered is that if I were to move my MLP forward 24 inches my bass smooths right out from 20Hz to 80Hz with little more than 5dB variation in the graph and that's with Audyssey off. I'm pretty sure with some tweaking that would get better. But if I were to move the seating forward the room would look kind of odd. So the age old question of form vs. function arises.

On another note now that the subs are repositioned I have to say the room sounds very much better. I had definitely been losing out on some very important LFE with the old positioning. I still need to get the minidsp to tweak some things but already things are much improved. There's still work to do but as Basshead said a few days ago, with REW I'm no longer wondering "what if"?

Thanks once again to one and all who helped me out.
Leave your sofa where it is and sit in the floor in front of the sofa, putting your ears in the sweet spot!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #15608 of 15620 Old Today, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just received in my dual XS30SE's yesterday and just wow....They were fantastic sounding!! Once I got them dialed in with my system I was very impressed with how tight, controlled, and deep the bass was. I had never heard or owned sealed subs before, only ported. In my current theater room of 3000 Sq ft these shook the walls! Very impressed and very happy! Tom answered at least twenty of my questions prior to purchase and also afterwards. Very impressed with customer service and the overall experience. Looking forward to years of use out of these!!!
post #15609 of 15620 Old Today, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerpc389 View Post
Just received in my dual XS30SE's yesterday and just wow....They were fantastic sounding!! Once I got them dialed in with my system I was very impressed with how tight, controlled, and deep the bass was. I had never heard or owned sealed subs before, only ported. In my current theater room of 3000 Sq ft these shook the walls! Very impressed and very happy! Tom answered at least twenty of my questions prior to purchase and also afterwards. Very impressed with customer service and the overall experience. Looking forward to years of use out of these!!!
great to hear it!

they amaze me every day...and I have officially had the duals a year now

post #15610 of 15620 Old Today, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Awesome, I just set up a return for my XV15SE so I can save a little and get an XS30SE for my 2,000 cubic foot room.
post #15611 of 15620 Old Today, 02:28 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
SO Jealous!!! Congrats!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #15612 of 15620 Old Today, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
glad I could help!

most likely not...youll prob get a window tomorrow
Just got a call from the shipping company....T-18s will be at my house tomorrow between 9a-noon!!

Taking the next 2 days off of work to play.

post #15613 of 15620 Old Today, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just got a call from the shipping company....T-18s will be at my house tomorrow between 9a-noon!!

Sweet!! Can't wait to hear your impressions
post #15614 of 15620 Old Today, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post
Anyone have a clue how long it takes to get a Triax delivered after ordering?
All orders up to today should be fulfilled. Please check your inbox for tracking. Orders starting today(12-16) through the rest of this week won't ship for 2-4 business days as we are waiting on more inbound 4000 watt amps.

Email me at Support@powersoundaudio.com with any questions, thanks

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
climber07 likes this.
post #15615 of 15620 Old Today, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
Tom, Its a open family room in a 1900 SQ FT house. If I shut every door that I can, then I estimate the cubic foot of 6500-7000.
Family room with facing kitchen is 28 feet deep, with a 15 foot wide family room. But opens to dinning room, stairs, upstairs walkway, open entry.
There is a sliding patio door on the left side, but I have fake leather curtians over the glass.
Banboo flooring on post and beam with large rug in the family room.
MLP is average 10-11 feet from subs and towers.
Sub 1 is left side of front wall - 3 feet from left corner wall and 10 inches from front wall.
Sub 2 is on the right wall - 3 feet from right front corner wall, and 6 inches from right wall.

I have also notice the subs drop off rapid after about 19 Hz and by 16 Hz has fizzled out. So I take it that there is no room gain?

Dual XS15se subs.
Hello Red,

How much placement flexibility is there in the room? I ask because I would be curious as to how NF(near field) placement sounded in this environment. I'd say 16-18hz would be about right. There should be a sudden drop off though unless it is related to a room mode in some way.

The XS30se are a bit better than the XV15se even in a large room environment like this. The 30s are going to extend a bit deeper, they will have similar output capabilities in the deep bass, and the 30s will have close to double the output in the mid and upper bass(45-100hz). So I don't think moving to dual XV15se would feel like an upgrade. Let's be sure we have the 30s optimized before jumping ahead of ourselves though.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #15616 of 15620 Old Today, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
This is what I call dedication I am sure you will be amazed.
post #15617 of 15620 Old Today, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

Yessssssss!!! Congrats Alan!
post #15618 of 15620 Old Today, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Hello Red,

How much placement flexibility is there in the room? I ask because I would be curious as to how NF(near field) placement sounded in this environment. I'd say 16-18hz would be about right. There should be a sudden drop off though unless it is related to a room mode in some way.

The XS30se are a bit better than the XV15se even in a large room environment like this. The 30s are going to extend a bit deeper, they will have similar output capabilities in the deep bass, and the 30s will have close to double the output in the mid and upper bass(45-100hz). So I don't think moving to dual XV15se would feel like an upgrade. Let's be sure we have the 30s optimized before jumping ahead of ourselves though.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom, I don't have the 30s! I have two XS15se's. I did some more measurements tonight. A little different than before. This time I used the sensitivity factor pasted in my calibration file instead of calibrating the mic with the SPL. And I found a 5 dB difference at 70 dB.

I have a little flexibility with placement. When I did the crawl, only one spot had more loudness, but I couldnt tell if the sound was better, and that was on the left side of the sofa next to the left surround speaker.

I did one compression run and another with each sub and then both together. Let me know what you see out of this. It seems to fall on its face right after about 19 Hz but then picks back up before running off the graph.
The 2nd graph lower measurements are each sub. The top two measurements are both subs on together
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left sub compression.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	428170   Click image for larger version

Name:	both subs.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	428178  

SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's, Klipsch RC64-II (Soon), Klipsch RS62-II (Soon), (2) XS15se subs.

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player

Last edited by Red99; Today at 06:12 PM.
post #15619 of 15620 Old Today, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
just so you know, the customer service you get from them does NOT stop when you purchase one. they are just as helpful a year after the sale as they are just before it. you won't find better than jim and tom...they are top notch in every facet.
Mike Butny likes this.
post #15620 of 15620 Unread Today, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone has a good advice on how to blend XS15 (non-SE) for stereo 2.1 music into my humble setup of Harmon Kardon HK 3490 stereo receiver with line-level Sub Out but no bass management. I have to use crossover on the XS15. Speakers are NHT SuperOne bookshelves with lows being around 80Hz. I cannot find a good test tracks to use for that or any settings that will work. So far after a LOT of trial and error, the XS15 underwhelm big time right now but I know it is due to settings. I did all the drills from the manual but I think I missing a big trick somewhere because my setup is stereo receiver not typical HT.

Thanks.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread