Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 525 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15721 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Is PSA considering a piano gloss finish for any of their subs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15722 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post

I don't see that happening. Piano finishes are so expensive to do, so typically you really only see it from companies manufacturing in China because the labor is so much cheaper. To PSA's credit they want to manufacture everything in the US, so I can't see them offering it because the cost would be so high.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #15723 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I don't see that happening. Piano finishes are so expensive to do, so typically you really only see it from companies manufacturing in China because the labor is so much cheaper. To PSA's credit they want to manufacture everything in the US, so I can't see them offering it because the cost would be so high.
What about doing it as a special order? I'd be more than happy to pay the extra money and wouldn't mind if it took a few extra weeks to get it.
post #15724 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
Contact Tom and see what he says.
post #15725 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What about doing it as a special order? I'd be more than happy to pay the extra money and wouldn't mind if it took a few extra weeks to get it.
Like Basshead said you'll need to contact Tom. It's really hard to get perfect so I could see why they don't offer it, quality controls I'm sure would be a lot tougher then the standard satin black finish or any of their veneers.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #15726 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I am not going to speculate but I had inquired about doing round overs along the edges on my XS30 and it was a no go...just saying.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #15727 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
So my minidsp was doing strange things to my subs. While them making the response very flat they were making them distort with bass heavy content. At levels of -5db WotW and even the ending credits of tmnt made them have flapping sounds. Something I've never heard from them before. This is even with no peq used. Just the minidsp in the chain

So I removed it then reran audyssey and bad sounds gone. Anyone think of why this may be
I've had my MiniDSP for about a year now and that is exactly my experience every time I try to use it.

I've pretty much given up on it now. Maybe when I get a new AVR it will behave differently, but I doubt it.
post #15728 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
OK, I was playing around more today. I think I have it about as close as I can get it. I set the LFE + Main and by mistake had the volume to loud. Look at how the line is better at minus 20 vs minus 30. I am sure some of the experts here can tell me why, but at least it's much better than previous postings.

The second graph is where I was at before, the line where both phase is set on 0. The dip is much smaller now.
Lowell,

The trace should be the same regardless of the MV level (unless you are high enough to start compressing, and -20 is certainly not loud enough for that). Something else had to change between measurements. Also, you say this is -20 vs. -30MV....there is barely 5db difference between the two traces...something is wrong here. Not to mention, at -20MV you are averaging 85db, it should be more like 65db....are you calibrating your SPL before measuring? Or, are you running your subs 20db hot??

The green trace should sound much better....are you saying it doesn't?

Last edited by Alan P; Yesterday at 09:37 PM.
post #15729 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, after living with the dual T-18s for a couple days now, I've got a couple observations:

The subs are more "subtle" than my previous quad XS15s....they don't draw attention to themselves as much (if that makes any sense), but when the "big" bass hits, you know they are there for sure.

Listening to some music at lower levels last night (-25 to -20), the T-18s are (excuse the audiofool terms) very articulate and controlled. No sloppiness at all.

Watched a couple movies today (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - disappointed in the LFE content of that one, and The Descent - seen it before, one of my fav horror movies of the last few years - great "atmospheric" bass in that one) and I have to say that I had absolutely no sign of strain from the T-18s (as expected).

So far, very very happy with my decision and thanks to those who helped me along this path!!

P.S. I really can't imagine why anyone would think they would need more than 2 of these beasts....but never say never I guess.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #15730 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I've had my MiniDSP for about a year now and that is exactly my experience every time I try to use it.

I've pretty much given up on it now. Maybe when I get a new AVR it will behave differently, but I doubt it.

Is it a balanced or unbalanced unit? I only used my balanced 2x4 for a few months but I haven't experienced any issues like what you guys have been describing.
post #15731 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
OK, I was playing around more today. I think I have it about as close as I can get it. I set the LFE + Main and by mistake had the volume to loud. Look at how the line is better at minus 20 vs minus 30. I am sure some of the experts here can tell me why, but at least it's much better than previous postings.

The second graph is where I was at before, the line where both phase is set on 0. The dip is much smaller now.
Can you check to make sure you don't have smoothing turned in for one if those graphs? They should be identical.
post #15732 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

There's only one way to find out my friend, give them a call, email or chat. To be honest the finishes they have now are absolutely beautiful, I don't know why if you're willing to pay why PSA's cabinet maker couldn't do a custom job like that. Please don't take that as an even maybe, just making a comment, it doesn't hurt to try.

j_nordi
post #15733 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Is it a balanced or unbalanced unit? I only used my balanced 2x4 for a few months but I haven't experienced any issues like what you guys have been describing.
I am thinking perhaps they are clipping the inputs of the minidsp. One version of the unbalanced kit can only accept a .9v signal and if you give it more it will clip the signal. There is a jumper mod that you can do to have it accept a 2v signal. In either case the unbalanced unit can only output .9v (which probably isn't enough for the triax amp) I think some receivers (onkyo and others?) can put out a hotter signal. I am using a minidsp 10x10 that can accept and output a 2v signal to RCA's or a 4v signal using the balanced inputs/outputs.
post #15734 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

I am wondering if the balanced version would be better for high output levels? I also have that issue...I lose about 3db of headroom with the mini in the chain. Other then that it is a nice piece.
post #15735 of 15736 Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I am wondering if the balanced version would be better for high output levels? I also have that issue...I lose about 3db of headroom with the mini in the chain. Other then that it is a nice piece.
I haven't really been using my 2x4 balanced unit, if you want to pay for the shipping I'll send you mine along with the cables to try out and test. And they when you're done with it you can just ship it back.
post #15736 of 15736 Old Today, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Mine is unbalanced. And this never did it before so im wondering what all of a sudden happened.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page