Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 526 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25877Likes

Old 12-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
im going to try the Y-spliter at each sub today to see if that works...fingers crossed...Ill report back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
not to get too far off topic,

Also I have sait it a ton of times...if they never came out with another BR with Atmos the upgrade is worth it just for DSU. Its so much more immersive, and way bigger of an upgrade than going from 5.1 to 7.1

they are but ATMOS moveis outnumbers AURO about 3 to 1

and for HT on bluRay there are 4 out for ATMOS with 3 more annouced...and zero for auro

Brian, I have heard DSU is a great enhancement, but if Atmos doesn't stick, how many generations will receivers continue to have DSU as an option on future receivers? I have thought about putting Def Tech PM800s or 1000s on the ceiling, but not sure if the dispersion will be good enough. Also, the Dolby rep told me there designs are for monopole speakers. So I am debating whether to change out my SR8080s and lower them. What are you using for surrounds and how high off the ground are they.

Also, what are the 3 more announced Blurays with Atmos?

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Old 12-22-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
im going to try the Y-spliter at each sub today to see if that works...fingers crossed...Ill report back

If I remember you were doing that with MiniDSP. Was it for clipping issues. REW tells me I am clipping at higher volumes, will a Y-splitter help that.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html

Old 12-22-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
Brian, I have heard DSU is a great enhancement, but if Atmos doesn't stick, how many generations will receivers continue to have DSU as an option on future receivers? I have thought about putting Def Tech PM800s or 1000s on the ceiling, but not sure if the dispersion will be good enough. Also, the Dolby rep told me there designs are for monopole speakers. So I am debating whether to change out my SR8080s and lower them. What are you using for surrounds and how high off the ground are they.

Also, what are the 3 more announced Blurays with Atmos?
Gravity (re-release)
John Wick
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
If I remember you were doing that with MiniDSP. Was it for clipping issues. REW tells me I am clipping at higher volumes, will a Y-splitter help that.
yes it was for clipping....according to Tom yes it will help with it...if not back to Radio shack go the splitters and bye bye minidsp lol
Old 12-22-2014, 11:27 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
My miniDSP 2X4 is still in the box. So you guys are saying that XT32 SUB EQ is the real deal as when I use XT I end up shutting it off. I don't know what to do now about upgrading a receiver, get Atmos or not. I really wanted to stay with Onkyo but with their proprietary room EQ I don't know. I'm really leary about buying refurbs especially Denon. I could get a really good deal on a new Onkyo TX-NR1010 with XT32 Sub EQ, at my age I don't think I will be messing with Atmos, too much work putting in ceiling speakers. What do you guys think.
Cheers Jeff
Don't know about going from XT to XT32 but going from an old version of YPAO to XT32 was HUGE! Made my system sound FAR better in every way. And yes there was a very noticeable improvement in bass.
ahblaza likes this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
Old 12-22-2014, 11:56 AM

I can attest to going from xt to xt32. Huge uograde
ahblaza likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
+1

For me it took downthe big hump below the port tune that many vented subs seem to have...
ahblaza likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:51 PM

Mission accomplished. Minidsp back in the chain. The y splitter is what was needed!!

Here are the responses:

Pink was audussey no minidsp in chain
Blue is y splitters no minidsp
Green is y splitters minidsp + filters
ahblaza likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I just bought the boom mic

What is the attachment I need for both umik and the one for audyssey mic??
am I the only one that uses duct tape?
ahblaza likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post
am I the only one that uses duct tape?
Probably just the only one who admits it
ahblaza likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2029 Post(s)
Liked: 4955
Quote:
Mission accomplished. Minidsp back in the chain. The y splitter is what was needed!!

Here are the responses:

Hey that's awesome. So the minidsp is working well now. Good to know.

How exactly are you guys using the y-splitter?
Old 12-22-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Hey that's awesome. So the minidsp is working well now. Good to know.

How exactly are you guys using the y-splitter?
From avr--minidsp--rca cable to y-splitter to both inputs on the sub

I did this for both subs. No clipping. Fantastic flat bass response = happy camper
ahblaza likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2029 Post(s)
Liked: 4955
Oh ok I see now. Cool I'm glad you got everything working right again.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:

Here are the responses:

If you can raise up that 10 dB dip in front of 20Hz I would be all over this minidsp. I have a 15 dB dip there that is nearly a straight drop off then it climbs back up.
Congrats on figuring out a solutions.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
If you can raise up that 10 dB dip in front of 20Hz I would be all over this minidsp. I have a 15 dB dip there that is nearly a straight drop off then it climbs back up.

Big dips like that are usually nulls in the room. It's not a good idea to boost the signal that much (or try to) as it will eat into your amplifiers headroom and usually drive it into clipping when cranked up. It's always a better practice to bring down peaks and then play with room placement and utilize room treatments to correct big dips in your frequency response.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Big dips like that are usually nulls in the room. It's not a good idea to boost the signal that much (or try to) as it will eat into your amplifiers headroom and usually drive it into clipping when cranked up. It's always a better practice to bring down peaks and then play with room placement and utilize room treatments to correct big dips in your frequency response.
The only problem that is for me I have already did a road tour with my sub in my family room, moving the sub around and taking measurements after not much success with the sub crawl, and nothing changes my dip. And from what I read, room treatments for that low of a FR may not work. So, I guess I am just stuck with it.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
see, now you are just trying to create problems....i have xt, thought about 32 but figured to upgrade once atmos made more of an impact. now some are saying atmos is a format war....not sure if going with a now cheaper xt32 format for that big 'difference', or just wait until everything sorts itself out and upgrade then. by comparison, i never jumped on the 3d bandwagon...just don't care for it....so am i wasting time waiting for atmos instead of just going with a solid xt32 receiver?
ahblaza likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
For me it's not a null just no room gain. I don't have any walls as of now. That will come when I build the room . I was flat to 11hz in my old room
ahblaza likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 6036
Quote:

remember every 3db of boost below 30hz effectively cuts amplifier power in half. So a 10db boost at 20hz would effectively turn a 550 watt amp into 125watts. The reason being you will be asking for full amplifier power at 20hz when the rest of the frequency range above that may only be getting 125watts of power. To sum it up, if you could get 115db out of your subs above 30hz, then you will only have 105db available above 30hz after the boost. sure you might be a flat 105db from 16-100hz with the eq boost, but I would rather have 115db available from 30hz on up and only 95db at 16hz. you need to have the headroom available first, then worry about extension. If you want both then you need more subs for A) more output and B) a smoother response.
audiofan1 likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 1730
Quote:
For me it's not a null just no room gain. I don't have any walls as of now. That will come when I build the room . I was flat to 11hz in my old room
Brian are you saying because of no room gain you had to turn the sub gain up and the mini couldn't drive the amps and the Y splitters offered that 6dB gain to avoid the clipping? Or that the mini didn't have the voltage to drive the sub amps without clipping. Is this a common ocurence with the mini, the clipping?
Cheers Jeff
Old 12-22-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Could someone tell me what this means, I have REW downloaded but the computer I want to use it with is showing this when I download it. I try to do something in the sound card and this shows up. I try to download the current version and this show up also. I have no problems with downloading on the other two computers but the one I want to use keeps telling me this error, please help. Do you think until I configure it that could be the problem? TIA
Cheers Jeff

Last edited by ahblaza; 07-29-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is this from trying to download it, install it, or opening it up?

Old 12-22-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
remember every 3db of boost below 30hz effectively cuts amplifier power in half. So a 10db boost at 20hz would effectively turn a 550 watt amp into 125watts. The reason being you will be asking for full amplifier power at 20hz when the rest of the frequency range above that may only be getting 125watts of power. To sum it up, if you could get 115db out of your subs above 30hz, then you will only have 105db available above 30hz after the boost. sure you might be a flat 105db from 16-100hz with the eq boost, but I would rather have 115db available from 30hz on up and only 95db at 16hz. you need to have the headroom available first, then worry about extension. If you want both then you need more subs for A) more output and B) a smoother response.
Maybe this is a good reason why some of the 18 inch subs has 4000 watts?

Old 12-22-2014, 07:06 PM

The mini didn't have the voltage so was clipping the signal. I have heard of this before with the minidsp but never had it happen til now

The room gain is only for my extension. Nothing more. I think with my new sealed room I will be getting single digit response. Since my old room was more open.
ahblaza likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Could someone tell me what this means, I have REW downloaded but the computer I want to use it with is showing this when I download it. I try to do something in the sound card and this shows up. I try to download the current version and this show up also. I have no problems with downloading on the other two computers but the one I want to use keeps telling me this error, please help. Do you think until I configure it that could be the problem? TIA
Cheers Jeff
Quote:
Is this from trying to download it, install it, or opening it up?
If I remember correctly (it's been some time) that looks like the message I got when I opened REW without my UMIK-1 attached.

Edit: Yep, I just checked, that message comes up if I launch REW without the mic attached.

Last edited by Saturn94; 12-22-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
If I remember correctly (it's been some time) that looks like the message I got when I opened REW without my UMIK-1 attached.

Edit: Yep, I just checked, that message comes up if I launch REW without the mic attached.
I can open REW on my desktop and there is no mic or anything hooked up. Need to understand where this message is coming up. From trying to download, install, or open the application.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Thank you Saturn, I also think that's the problem as well, it's only on the sound card option of REW when I click preferences, I was just checking things out in REW without any devices connected or anything else for that matter. I get all the other functions like SPL meter etc. Thanks, I will try and see if that's the problem. Or just use the laptop and try to understand 8.1, very unfamiliar with it.
Cheers Jeff
Old 12-22-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cheers Jeff
Are you using a Mac or a PC?

Old 12-22-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Thank you Saturn, I also think that's the problem as well, it's only on the sound card option of REW when I click preferences, I was just checking things out in REW without any devices connected or anything else for that matter. I get all the other functions like SPL meter etc. Thanks, I will try and see if that's the problem. Or just use the laptop and try to understand 8.1, very unfamiliar with it.
Cheers Jeff
I hope that helped. Btw, the laptop I'm using with REW is running Windows Vista SP2.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you using a Mac or a PC?
I'm using a PC and a laptop, I have no problems with opening REW on them or downloading the newer version on those two devices but when I use the PC that I want to use with REW, I open it and that error comes up, when I try to download the newer version I get the same error. Maybe I have to have a mic or something connected. I don't see that mixer on my laptop 8.1 but I do see the mixer on my other PC vista, I've tried everything looking for that mixer in the computers hardware and can't find it, on the newer PC it's there. I don't think I even need that though as I won't be using the sound card with HDMI correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread