Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 532 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25877Likes

Old 12-31-2014, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckylgpn5700 View Post
Regarding the minidsp, would 1 be able to use 1 mini dsp for dual subs? Would it go next to my receiver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Kind of OT, but it Seems like most on here run a receiver with xt32...no love for anthem with ARC?

On another note, anyone know how many xs30se's equal a triax? I like my xs30 but am curious on how much "better" a triax would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I bought a MRX-710 a couple weeks ago and it is the real deal. I was blown away by how well it performed!
And it's very customizable too, very flexible in what frequency range you can room correct.
too bad it doesn't have atmos. I'd be all over it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
too bad it doesn't have atmos. I'd be all over it

Yeah from talking with Anthem it doesn't sound like that'll be happening anytime soon. Maybe in two years or so. Plus there seems to be a bit of a sound format war going on now that DTS is about to announce X surround at CES. So now there's going to be Atmos, Auro and DTS:X. And Atmos and Auro both have different speaker configurations. So I'll gladly sit this one out and wait to see how things play out with all of the different formats.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Regarding the minidsp, would 1 be able to use 1 mini dsp for dual subs? Would it go next to my receiver?
Quote:
Kind of OT, but it Seems like most on here run a receiver with xt32...no love for anthem with ARC?

On another note, anyone know how many xs30se's equal a triax? I like my xs30 but am curious on how much "better" a triax would be.
Quote:
Yeah from talking with Anthem it doesn't sound like that'll be happening anytime soon. Maybe in two years or so. Plus there seems to be a bit of a sound format war going on now that DTS is about to announce X surround at CES. So now there's going to be Atmos, Auro and DTS:X. And Atmos and Auro both have different speaker configurations. So I'll gladly sit this one out and wait to see how things play out with all of the different formats.
Yeah that's the smart move. If I didn't get a new ATMOS avr for virtually nothing. I would have waited too. But now after 3 months of movies with dsu and atmos there is no way I'll go back without it. So 2 years before anthem uses it (whichever format wins if that is even a winnable thing) will be about right for me to upgrade

Old 12-31-2014, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Would you guys suggest tweaking my distance settings after xt32 calibration? I tried to adjust the audyssey settings the other day but my Denon said my distance measurements were invalid.

I have both xs15's attached with rocketfish wireless hubs and audyssey set one at 31 feet and the other at 51 feet (even though they are both only 8 and 4 feet away respectfully).
Old 12-31-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Quote:
Would you guys suggest tweaking my distance settings after xt32 calibration? I tried to adjust the audyssey settings the other day but my Denon said my distance measurements were invalid.
Not unless you have the ability to measure your response (REW).

Quote:
I have both xs15's attached with rocketfish wireless hubs and audyssey set one at 31 feet and the other at 51 feet (even though they are both only 8 and 4 feet away respectfully).
WOW! I didn't think the Denon's would adjust farther than 30'.

I know that the wireless sub kits can add some delay to the signal, but I had no idea it was that much. I know that @basshead81 uses one of those, maybe he will chime in on this.

Do not adjust your sub distance to the actual physical distance. The distance setting in the AVR is actually a delay setting that delays the signal so that that the sound from the speakers all reach the MLP at the same time and takes into account the speakers/subs interaction with your room, and in the case of the sub, any delay caused by DSP (or wireless transmitters). In your case, the wireless kit is somehow screwing up Audyssey's distance calculations beyond the AVRs ability to correct them.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

I know that the wireless sub kits can add some delay to the signal, but I had no idea it was that much. I know that @basshead81 uses one of those, maybe he will chime in on this.

Do not adjust your sub distance to the actual physical distance. The distance setting in the AVR is actually a delay setting that delays the signal so that that the sound from the speakers all reach the MLP at the same time and takes into account the speakers/subs interaction with your room, and in the case of the sub, any delay caused by DSP (or wireless transmitters). In your case, the wireless kit is somehow screwing up Audyssey's distance calculations beyond the AVRs ability to correct them.
Uh oh - that's a concern!
Old 12-31-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:

I asked Tom the same question recently, and this is what he said:

The Triax is equal to dual XS30se in the mid and upper bass, but it takes about 2.5 of the XS30se to match the Triax in the 5hz to 25hz range....actually close to three..

Tom Vodhanel

This was compared to the older Triax, not the newest version.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

The Triax is equal to dual XS30se in the mid and upper bass, but it takes about 2.5 of the XS30se to match the Triax in the 5hz to 25hz range....actually close to three..

Tom Vodhanel

Does the new Triax-18 have more output compared to the original Triax in the 5-25hz range? I would think it has more output in the upper range but wasn't sure about the really low stuff.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Looks like Anthem's jumping on board with DTS X in 2015;

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/286-latest-industry-news/1828778-dts-x-immersive-sound-format-due-march-2015-a.html

(Sorry for being off topic)
Old 12-31-2014, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Quote:

Tom Vodhanel

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2029 Post(s)
Liked: 4955
Wow, I missed two days and found myself three pages behind. You guys have been busy the last couple of days.

Happy New Year to you all!! I hope it's a good one for one and all.
ahblaza likes this.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 6036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

yes the rocket fish introduces about 30ms delay to the signal chain. so basically room correction adds around 30ft to what the number would be wired. Ypao sets my subs around 50ft.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 6036
Quote:
Does the new Triax-18 have more output compared to the original Triax in the 5-25hz range? I would think it has more output in the upper range but wasn't sure about the really low stuff.
I was told 1.5db across the board
Old 12-31-2014, 08:08 PM

Go out and buy equalizer. Not only a badass flick. But some insane bass moments! Great movie

Happy new year!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Looks like Anthem's jumping on board with DTS X in 2015;

DTS:X Immersive Sound Format Due March 2015

(Sorry for being off topic)

Dammit, now do I return my MRX-710 or worry about it next year?.....LOL
Old 12-31-2014, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys, new owner of a XS15-SE here and overall I'm pretty happy with my purchase. Just a quick question though, has anyone found the RCA connectors to be loose on their unit? I plugged my existing Monoprice Sub cable and it feels loose, it's this something I should let PSA know?

Steam ID: J-Rod0125.
PC Specs: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, Intel Core i7-4771, Nvidia GTX 970, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Western Digital Black HDD, Corsair 8GB Ram, SeaSonic SSR-650RM.
HT: Samsung 60F5300B, Wharfedale Diamond 10.4 Fronts, Wharfedale 10.CS Center, Power Sound Audio XS15-SE, Pioneer Elite SC-82.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1728 Post(s)
Liked: 2539
Quote:
Go out and buy equalizer. Not only a badass flick. But some insane bass moments! Great movie

Happy new year!

Ooh started watching it last night but only made it a few minutes. Amazon though, not sure how good the sound will be.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:01 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 511
It's FINALLY 2015! I can officially say I'M BUYING A SUBWOOFER THIS YEAR!!!!!

Happy New Year!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
Old 01-01-2015, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ25 View Post
Hey guys, new owner of a XS15-SE here and overall I'm pretty happy with my purchase. Just a quick question though, has anyone found the RCA connectors to be loose on their unit? I plugged my existing Monoprice Sub cable and it feels loose, it's this something I should let PSA know?
i had that issue too. u can fix it yourself or chat with tom for solutions.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ25 View Post
I would suggest getting a good quality cable from Blue Jeans Cable. I have had two "premium" Monoprice cables that were bad and would short out when just barely touching them, causing very loud "boomp" sounds from the subs. Also, the much higher quality BJC cables use much better ends which have a stronger grip on the connection.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
I would suggest getting a good quality cable from Blue Jeans Cable. I have had two "premium" Monoprice cables that were bad and would short out when just barely touching them, causing very loud "boomp" sounds from the subs. Also, the much higher quality BJC cables use much better ends which have a stronger grip on the connection.
Hi Bear - happy new year! Which specific cable would you recommend? Would the lc-1 sufficient for the xs15se?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Bear - happy new year! Which specific cable would you recommend? Would the lc-1 sufficient for the xs15se?
Those are the cables i got from them. I had three made, one from my AVR to my miniDSP, then one each from there to each sub. Pretty sure I paid less than $100 for all three and the quality is exceptional, and of course I got the lengths I wanted. One was quite long...25 or 30' if I recall. They are very flexible(compared to the Monoprice junk I had) so routing around corners works well also.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:12 AM

Hi All,

Happy New Year! I spent the last few days trying to find the best response for my dual XS15se's - the graph I attached is probably the "best" that I could get in my room.

I plan on some EQ for the sub (minidsp or berhinger) to correct for the peaks.

Any idea on how to correct the 10db 70hz null? I tried playing around with the gain/phase/location etc. All still results in the 70hz null. Even unplugged the mains with no real difference. Should I even be concerned about the null? I don't know what I'm missing (literally) .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual xs15se.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	453490  
Old 01-01-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2029 Post(s)
Liked: 4955
That's a pretty decent looking graph you have there. Moving the subs around would be the first and best option to get rid of that dip but you might find that it gets rid of that 70 Hz dip only to have a new one show up at some other Hz.

The other option might be to move the MLP a little. I found that if I could move my MLP forward two feet I would be pretty flat from 20 to 80 Hz (sadly I really can't move my MLP).

Finally if you get the minidsp, you could boost that dip a little (5 dB would work pretty well). Since all you need is a small bump you most likely won't hurt your headroom too much. Basshead and others could tell you a lot more about the effects of using the minidsp to bump up a dip (in fact if you go back five to ten pages you will find some good posts discussing the topic in good detail).
Old 01-01-2015, 10:48 AM

What's your crossover set at? Looks like a sub distance tweak candidate. Try first raising the xover a bit higher
Alan P likes this.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:24 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 511
How close can the back of the XV15se be to the wall?

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
Old 01-01-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
How close can the back of the XV15se be to the wall?
As close as the cable will allow it to be ....2-3" is fine, as long as the port is not right up against the wall.
mnc likes this.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
What's your crossover set at? Looks like a sub distance tweak candidate. Try first raising the xover a bit higher
It's set at 80hz. I can't seem to tweak the distance as I'm using a wireless sub kit and I'm already set at 31 and 48 feet! I don't think the denon allows me to change over 30 feet.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:57 PM

Try 90hz for xover. Just to see
Old 01-01-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I made a few changes to the distances and my Denon defaulted to the maximum for my subs, but after some tweaking of the phase adjustment on my nearfield sub, I think I got a decent even response (line in blue below). Let me know if you guys might see anything that should be fixed (or what I should/could do with EQ)!

by the way, I left my xover at 80hz.

This is a fun hobby!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jan 1 best graph.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	454394  
Alan P likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread