Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 535 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 20179Likes

post #16021 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 4736
Alan, you might try running RTA thd analysis instead. I found that to be more accurate. If I remember correctly on a 20hz test tone, I was seeing less then 7% thd at 116db. Also note that a 80.00 measuring mic is not the best suited for distortion testing. It is good for base response measurements, and even can be off slightly on max spl testing. If you want to get technical then it would be time to step up to a term lab or spec lab setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16022 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4325 Post(s)
Liked: 3008
Maybe it's my mic....I broke it a few months back and had to super-glue it back together.

Maybe time for a new UMIK-1.
post #16023 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Alan, you might try running RTA thd analysis instead. I found that to be more accurate. If I remember correctly on a 20hz test tone, I was seeing less then 7% thd at 116db. Also note that a 80.00 measuring mic is not the best suited for distortion testing. It is good for base response measurements, and even can be off slightly on max spl testing. If you want to get technical then it would be time to step up to a term lab or spec lab setup.
I'm not gonna worry too much about it....if I can't hear any distortion (esp. at 100% ), I'd say I'm probably good to go.
ahblaza likes this.
post #16024 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm interested in replacing a couple of aging MFW-15's and a buddy of mine who's opinion I trust on A/V pointed me towards PSA and the XS30se specifically. I subscribed to this thread hoping to get more insight on the company and the sub itself and have been largely let down. Sorry if that sounds like I'm complaining but this thread has really been more of a thread on tuning for months now moving sometimes several pages per day rather than an official PSA thread like the subject claims. I'm not too knowledgeable on tuning for maximum efficiency so I have been following along somewhat but it is largely a foreign language to me. I kind of wish this thread was more on topic than it is because it's difficult to follow for those interested in PSA specifically. It seems that all the tuning discussion would be better suited for a thread topic more geared towards that since it's become a rather lengthy and in-depth discussion rather than some quick topic-related banter. Just my take as someone interested in PSA who hasn't gotten much information on the subject from a thread that's supposed to be about exactly that.

That being said, I'm following this recent post about RMA's closely as this is something that speaks to PSA specifically for those like myself that are trying to get useful information for making a buying decision. Assuming it's a miscommunication and is handled promptly and satisfactorily I would also like to know how to get the B stock at a discount from retail. Is there an email list or anything one can sign up for to get email notifications of when they become available?

Has anyone here specifically owned or compared first-hand the MFW15 to one of the PSA offerings to speak to the differences between them to help me to make a decision?

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #16025 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^

Tuning is part of owning a PSA sub...that sort of discussion is going to be a big part of any sub manufacturer "Official" thread, just the way it is.

If you want specific advice, just ask for it and we'll do our best to deviate from our sub setup discussions to help you out...you can count on it.

Do NOT take the recent comments re:RMAs as a reflection of Tom & PSA's customer service. PSA has demonstrated nothing but top-tier CS since day one....sure, sometimes something falls through the cracks (just like any company, esp. one growing as fast as PSA), but have no doubt...Tom will take care of you.

If you want to get on a list for "B" stock, give Tom a call.

In order to recommend a sub for you, we're gonna need a bit of info first:

What size is your room (in cubic feet, including any rooms the listening space is open to)?
What are you listening habits (% of movies vs. music vs. gaming)?
What master volume level do you normally listen at?
Do you have placement flexibility?
Can you post up pics and/or a drawing of your room?
post #16026 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post
I'm interested in replacing a couple of aging MFW-15's and a buddy of mine who's opinion I trust on A/V pointed me towards PSA and the XS30se specifically. I subscribed to this thread hoping to get more insight on the company and the sub itself and have been largely let down. Sorry if that sounds like I'm complaining but this thread has really been more of a thread on tuning for months now moving sometimes several pages per day rather than an official PSA thread like the subject claims. I'm not too knowledgeable on tuning for maximum efficiency so I have been following along somewhat but it is largely a foreign language to me. I kind of wish this thread was more on topic than it is because it's difficult to follow for those interested in PSA specifically. It seems that all the tuning discussion would be better suited for a thread topic more geared towards that since it's become a rather lengthy and in-depth discussion rather than some quick topic-related banter. Just my take as someone interested in PSA who hasn't gotten much information on the subject from a thread that's supposed to be about exactly that.

That being said, I'm following this recent post about RMA's closely as this is something that speaks to PSA specifically for those like myself that are trying to get useful information for making a buying decision. Assuming it's a miscommunication and is handled promptly and satisfactorily I would also like to know how to get the B stock at a discount from retail. Is there an email list or anything one can sign up for to get email notifications of when they become available?

Has anyone here specifically owned or compared first-hand the MFW15 to one of the PSA offerings to speak to the differences between them to help me to make a decision?

If you have questions about something feel free to ask, the thread is more a PSA encyclopedia than it is promotional about products. In my dealings, they have always been prompt and upfront. Phone call to get on the bstock list. Be prepared to wait a bit, it is a list. Id say 95% of bstock is from people upgrading.

The chat option on the site is useful as well, usually Tom or Jim on 7 days a week.
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
post #16027 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
^^^^

Tuning is part of owning a PSA sub...that sort of discussion is going to be a big part of any sub manufacturer "Official" thread, just the way it is.

If you want specific advice, just ask for it and we'll do our best to deviate from our sub setup discussions to help you out...you can count on it.

Do NOT take the recent comments re:RMAs as a reflection of Tom & PSA's customer service. PSA has demonstrated nothing but top-tier CS since day one....sure, sometimes something falls through the cracks (just like any company, esp. one growing as fast as PSA), but have no doubt...Tom will take care of you.

If you want to get on a list for "B" stock, give Tom a call.

In order to recommend a sub for you, we're gonna need a bit of info first:

What size is your room (in cubic feet, including any rooms the listening space is open to)?
What are you listening habits (% of movies vs. music vs. gaming)?
What master volume level do you normally listen at?
Do you have placement flexibility?
Can you post up pics and/or a drawing of your room?
Thanks for not jumping down my throat for posting my opinion on the conversation and your point about posting specifically is well taken. I realized that eventually I would have to do exactly that but was biding my time to see if I could gleam any additional information w/o having to interrupt the current conversation. It. Just. Kept. Going.

I've heard nothing but positives about PSA so I'm not at all saying that I give them a strike for making a mistake. I realize that these things happen and while I don't put much weight in oversights every now and then I do put a lot of weight in how they're addressed once they're made aware of said mistake. For that reason I'm watching this recent event with interest as a potential buyer.

Not sure I'm at the point of being ready to buy but I will certainly keep calling him to check for B stock in mind when I do get to that point.

I'm going to have a hard time answering your questions because my canvas is relatively blank at this point. My 'theater' is nearly 1/4 of an unfinished basement where I've had a screen, projector & two rows of seating set up for about 8 years now with the looming threat to finish it out properly. My sick mother is living with us now as she battles the later part of stage 4 cancer so perhaps once this is all over I will have the ability to finish the theater out at minimum. As it sits, I've got a tremendous amount of volume to fill.

Once finished I plan to have three rows of seating and we opted for the taller ceilings when building so it's going to be a large airspace to fill up by most residential home theater standards I'm guessing. I used to do a lot of gaming but have gotten away from that due to lack of time to devote to them but I'm leaving the door open to getting back into them after a brief hiatus so that's something I want to plan for.

The bulk of the watching will be movies with some sports & TV as well. In past years I'd say the bulk was indeed video game playing however. There is basically no music listening that occurs in that room currently. Even if we did I wouldn't want to give up any movie/video game optimization for better music reproduction of that's the question. Master volume is another question mark due to it being largely dependent on the company we have. Personally, I love listening to movies loud as heck but that's not everyone's cup of Joe so I often acquiesce to more average standards I suppose.

I currently have my two MFW15's placed up front alongside my mains and center... all AV123... and located behind an acoustically transparent screen that I built. I'd like to keep them or it up there for clean appearance if the gains are minimal but I'm not married to anything. I like the idea of a screen wall with all of my gear located behind it for a clean look that doesn't distract from the real show. I have had good luck with my MFW15's but had to replace caps in both over the years and don't want to deal with that if it happens again. They've been working fine for years since the fix but I want something that I don't have to deal with. Just plug it in (tune it eventually) and get bass w/o any additional effort. Ideally I'd be able to give exact specifications but I'm really not at a point where I can do that. I guess I just want something that is decent and will be decent once I do finish out the room and have more desire to get more technical with it.

Hopefully that all makes sense.
ahblaza likes this.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #16028 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
If you have questions about something feel free to ask, the thread is more a PSA encyclopedia than it is promotional about products. In my dealings, they have always been prompt and upfront. Phone call to get on the bstock list. Be prepared to wait a bit, it is a list. Id say 95% of bstock is from people upgrading.

The chat option on the site is useful as well, usually Tom or Jim on 7 days a week.
Thanks. I'm obviously not in a big hurry at the moment so waiting for a better deal isn't a big deal for me.

I realize this isn't a promotional thread for the company but in my years here this thread is noticeably different than the other 'official' product threads. I even started a few of them over my time and it was more geared towards product & company specifics than tuning. Even the display threads would list calibration settings with some discussion but it wasn't months on end of pages every day about them & how to do it. There were threads that specifically covered display calibration so there was no sense to have a fragmented conversation. The thread just had a feel that I wasn't used to and I had even considered unsubscribing several times as it was constant email notifications with nothing that was of my interest when I had plenty of interest about PSA subs which is what the thread was supposed to be about. Not trying to beat a dead horse just trying to explain where I was coming from with that portion of my reply.

Jer

post #16029 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 4736
If you want more specific information and do not have the time or patience to sift through a thread full of good information, then why not contact Tom V. Directly?
post #16030 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, you didn't really say how big of a space you have, just that it's big....so, hard to recommend anything yet.

What do you feel is lacking with your current subs?

You say you have them placed where they are currently due to aesthetics....I refer you to the #1 RULE OF SUBWOOFER PLACEMENT: The most aesthetically pleasing location is almost always the worst for acoustics.

You need to do a subwoofer crawl to determine where the subs want to live in your room. Then, if you feel like really going down the rabbit hole, you can get setup with a USB mic and REW (then you can join the setup discussions! ).
post #16031 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Thanks. I'm obviously not in a big hurry at the moment so waiting for a better deal isn't a big deal for me.

I realize this isn't a promotional thread for the company but in my years here this thread is noticeably different than the other 'official' product threads. I even started a few of them over my time and it was more geared towards product & company specifics than tuning. Even the display threads would list calibration settings with some discussion but it wasn't months on end of pages every day about them & how to do it. There were threads that specifically covered display calibration so there was no sense to have a fragmented conversation. The thread just had a feel that I wasn't used to and I had even considered unsubscribing several times as it was constant email notifications with nothing that was of my interest when I had plenty of interest about PSA subs which is what the thread was supposed to be about. Not trying to beat a dead horse just trying to explain where I was coming from with that portion of my reply.
I would use the chat feature on their website, that is probably the fastest way to get a response (or call).

If you think this thread goes off topic you should see the Official JTR Thread. That one is all over the place! They routinely talk about cars/trucks/heavy metal music
Billy p, ahblaza and gbreda like this.
post #16032 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
If you want more specific information and do not have the time or patience to sift through a thread full of good information, then why not contact Tom V. Directly?
For the same reason I don't take a car salesman's word for what is the best for me and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Well, you didn't really say how big of a space you have, just that it's big....so, hard to recommend anything yet.

What do you feel is lacking with your current subs?

You say you have them placed where they are currently due to aesthetics....I refer you to the #1 RULE OF SUBWOOFER PLACEMENT: The most aesthetically pleasing location is almost always the worst for acoustics.

You need to do a subwoofer crawl to determine where the subs want to live in your room. Then, if you feel like really going down the rabbit hole, you can get setup with a USB mic and REW (then you can join the setup discussions! ).
Not sure anything is lacking with my current subs other than the question mark over long-term reliability given the track record. For those not familiar, the MFW15 has amp issues caused by caps failing. I've replaced them in both subs once and while I haven't had any other issues for years of use I'm ready to move off of those subs to something a little bit better in terms of reliability and what not. There's an (expensive) upgrade that replaces the amp and driver but if I'm going to spend that kind of money I want to see what else is out there and this sub and company came up on my radar. That's why I subscribed to the thread in hopes to get some fly-on-the wall info about the company and it's products to see if they were right for me and which models fit the bill.

I realize that the most aesthetically appealing location isn't always the best but as of the time I'm typing this I don't feel the need to wring every ounce of performance out of my setup. If I'm in the market for something new and can get better then that will be an upgrade for me. Once I get to a point of preparing to finish that location I will post up pictures, blueprints & measurements in the proper area to try to solicit input before construction begins. Once I get the room finished out and I start putting finishing touches on things and 'finish' what it is I've had in my mind for nearly a decade now I'm sure my desire to locate and tune everything will grow as well. As of right now it's kind of the clean car v dirty car debate... I'm watching movies in a gigantic concrete room with exposed floor joists & HVAC ducting so it's hard to care about the finite adjustments and what not much like you seem to take better car of your car when it's clean. Does any of that make sense? I get that there's a proven method for setup and dialing them in but I haven't done any of that with my current setup for many years and been satisfied even though I knew there was more on the table to be had if I wanted to delve into that process of learning and application.

Just looking for something at least comparable to what I have now with proven reliability and little to no know issues that also gives me the flexibility for when the bug bites to optimize everything I own.

Jer

post #16033 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
I have been on various forums for a long time and know how they work. I really hate posting a negative sounding post in a manufacturers thread, but sometimes it gets attention and results when nothing else seems to be working.

First, I would like to ask and find out, has anyone actually ever sent there subs back to PSA for an exchange for something else, or a refund? And if you have, how much trouble did you have to go through? I know they say they have a 30 day return policy, but I am wondering if they really do it! You can look on SVS website and see all the subs that people has returned at a discount price, but you see nothing on PSA website! So either they resale them back at new price, or there is no returns.

Anyway, here is my problem! Maybe posting on here will get some attention from Tom because my emails aren't getting any action. I sent Tom RMA Dec.21st. (But noting I was mainly inquiring on how much time I had left to decide before my return window ran out). I get a reply back from Tom the next day on the 22nd (Which he has always been prompt to reply back to me and from what I have read he is also prompt with everyone else) asking me to send him some graphs and saying if I needed more time to decide, that's fine.. So that evening I sent him my graphs at his request and still I have not heard back from him. Well with the Christmas holiday and New Years I figured he may just been busy with the holiday or took some time off. So I sent a 2nd email this last Sunday the (4th) asking if he got my replay and what did he think. He is usually very prompt, and I know its only been 2 days since my 2nd email, but I looked at his profile on here this morning, and he has been on here just about everyday since my first email, and he was on here yesterday! So now I am wondering if he is just dodging me or wasting time because he doesn't want to do a RMA. It really frustrates me when he ask me to send him a graph after I inquire about maybe sending my subs back and I respond promptly with graphs and I never hear back. No response, no comment, no reply, nothing, notta, zilch. So I am curious now if anyone has actually returned any PSA subs? And if anyone has ever tried did you get ignored also?

Also, has anyone ever went from the XS15se to the XS30se? Did you gain much headroom? The sad part is I may be contempt with just keeping what I have and live with the 100-105 dB headroom. But I cant even get any feedback from PSA. Maybe they are understaffed and don't have the extra time to give in the support area and spending it all in sales and manufacturing. But I believe support is very important in a successful business.

Hi Red99,

1)We get VERY few returns and the majority of those are sold before they even get back to us. I take call/emails/chats every day asking about b-stock. My response is sometimes "we have nothing here at the moment but we do have a XYZ coming back and it should be here on XYZ day, I can offer you that at 5% off" In other cases we simply don't have the time to update the website. At the moment we have 2-3 XV15se B-stock on hand(no other models) and I don't believe we have even had time to put them in the outlet center. So I'm sorry but your statement of "they either sell them as new or there are no returns" simply isn't true.

2)Per emails. I did miss one around christmas eve, very sorry. I tend to bat about 995% with emails back within 24 hours but every now and then I do miss one. I've been the only one in the office for something like 8 of the past 11 days. Sometimes I will have an email open, fedex knocks, the phone is ringing, multiple chats on queue, I'm trying to print out all the fedex tags, RL freight is knocking ready for their pickup, multiple Canada quotes to handle, trying to find out why fedex didn't deliver something, etc, etc, etc. and when I have 30 seconds to catch my breathe...I might try to hit a forum question or two.. JUST while typing this response I had two phone orders, fedex here, RL picked up a T-18(which I have run to the back dock, load, and then try to get back to my PC before 2-3 chats leave in frustration(which they did, sorry).

3)And, please, like others have already mentioned....don't feel like "nothing else is working" to communicate with me when I miss one email. Call, come into chat, send me a freindly reminder email regarding the missed email. I've been here 365 days a year for about 3 years running now. So I do take a little "umbrage" to the idea I'm hard to find..

4)I have *zero* problem with you (or anyone else) calling me out on this type of stuff. Hey, like I said...I'd guess I'm batting 995%. But without this type of constructive criticism I'll never get to 999%.

Anyway, Sorry for the missed email. I can definitely understand your frustration.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
post #16034 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3505
Quote:
For the same reason I don't take a car salesman's word for what is the best for me and why.

ok sorry for the short tone of this following response..but we just had the fire alarm go off...its 17degrees and snowing out...

you have been subscribed to this thread...have you actually read anything in it?

if you did you would know Tom is the utmost complete 180 from a "used car salesman" he will steer you straight and if your subs are enough where buying a PSA sub wont warrant a benefit he will tell you. in fact he is ACCUSED of underplaying his products NOT the other way around.

I recently asked him what upgrading my xs30's to a triax would benefit.(which directly correlates money in his pocket) and he told me...stick to what I have...it wouldn't be worth the upgrade after all is said and done.

I think your thought process on this and this whole thread are wrong. This is an owners thread for PSA as well as a place to discuss product...you seem like your looking for a chat room of prospective buyers...I mean there are only a handful of PSA product...how much can we talk about the products...
/rant

now...like the rest have said ..if you want answers ask...we are all very helpful and were all in the same boat as you at one point...its my favorite part of being part of the PSA family..asking questions...

but you need to take down your wall and contact Tom...I promise you he will not try to sell you something just to make a buck...and if he does please let me know...cause I wil then buy your sub for you...

-B

p.s. I am all about the fine tuning and wringing all I can out of the 2400$ i have vested in subs and here is the room I am dealing with..

so saying you dont want to study your room cause its unfinished is a cop out

Last edited by Brian Fineberg; 01-06-2015 at 11:31 AM.
post #16035 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have some b stock xv30f subs that were bought last xmas. Like to get another dual set of xs30's. Anyone looking to trade :smiley:
Alan P likes this.
post #16036 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
If you think this thread goes off topic you should see the Official JTR Thread. That one is all over the place! They routinely talk about cars/trucks/heavy metal music

Well in all fairness that thread should be called the "Official JTR Life Style Thread"......lol
post #16037 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 11:36 AM

oh and to edit my above post on what my room is like...I have updated it to feel more like a room by adding felt to the framed walls and ceiling...:

lol...not bad for 45$...just a bit more to do this weekend.

ugggg need to start framing soon! but still licking my wounds from xmas
Mike Butny likes this.

Last edited by Brian Fineberg; 01-06-2015 at 11:40 AM.
post #16038 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post
I have some b stock xv30f subs that were bought last xmas. Like to get another dual set of xs30's. Anyone looking to trade :smiley:
Now, I like that line of thinking. Good on ya James!

Have you contacted Tom and asked him about a possible trade-in? He took back my 2 year old XS15s....just sayin'. Although, the shipping on those beasts would probably kill you.
ahblaza likes this.
post #16039 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
straight up?
post #16040 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
ok sorry for the short tone of this following response..but we just had the fire alarm go off...its 17degrees and snowing out...

you have been subscribed to this thread...have you actually read anything in it?

if you did you would know Tom is the utmost complete 180 from a "used car salesman" he will steer you straight and if your subs are enough where buying a PSA sub wont warrant a benefit he will tell you. in fact he is ACCUSED of underplaying his products NOT the other way around.

I recently asked him what upgrading my xs30's to a triax would benefit.(which directly correlates money in his pocket) and he told me...stick to what I have...it wouldn't be worth the upgrade after all is said and done.

I think your thought process on this and this whole thread are wrong. This is an owners thread for PSA as well as a place to discuss product...you seem like your looking for a chat room of prospective buyers...I mean there are only a handful of PSA product...how much can we talk about the products...
/rant

now...like the rest have said ..if you want answers ask...we are all very helpful and were all in the same boat as you at one point...its my favorite part of being part of the PSA family..asking questions...

but you need to take down your wall and contact Tom...I promise you he will not try to sell you something just to make a buck...and if he does please let me know...cause I wil then buy your sub for you...

-B

p.s. I am all about the fine tuning and wringing all I can out of the 2400$ i have vested in subs and here is the room I am dealing with..

so saying you dont want to study your room cause its unfinished is a cop out
I think you read more into my 'car salesman' statement than I meant. Not sure why car salesman are seen as the most untrustworthy people on the face of the earth because of a few bad apples. Hell, I sold cars for years and had mostly good experiences as a car salesman. When I said that the point was that as an informed consumer I never take the statements of someone who stands to gain financially as gospel. That's why I use internet forums and read reviews before I get to the point of making a buying decision and then I will reach out to the representative of the company but by that point I have a good feeling of the business and the people involved or I wouldn't be approaching them anyway. The fact that you took my 'car salesman' to be such a negative term says more about your prejudices than mine. You even went to far as to twist it to 'used car salesman' later as if that somehow makes your point any more valid. I never said a single negative thing about Tom because I don't know him nor I have I heard much of anything about him or his company in this pages-long discussion of tuning subs.

Yes, I have read it. Pages and pages of tuning and software and graphs and all sorts of what I would consider off-topic. I brought up a simple point and didn't mean for it to spin off in such a nasty direction but if people want to come at me for what I feel is a legitimate opinion then I will have to keep defending myself because I wasn't meaning for it to become the new topic of discussion. I never said I didn't want to study my room because it's not finished. That was your assumption. I don't want to study my room because I don't have the time to devote right now.

My 'wall' is non-existent other than your personal perception. I'm not looking for specific and highly technical setup information... just cursory product and company information from independent sources with which to make some decisions.

If you honestly think that the information I'm looking for & expected to find being discussed is out of line I would invite you to read the thread title again.

Jer

post #16041 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Not sure anything is lacking with my current subs other than the question mark over long-term reliability given the track record. For those not familiar, the MFW15 has amp issues caused by caps failing. I've replaced them in both subs once and while I haven't had any other issues for years of use I'm ready to move off of those subs to something a little bit better in terms of reliability and what not. There's an (expensive) upgrade that replaces the amp and driver but if I'm going to spend that kind of money I want to see what else is out there and this sub and company came up on my radar. That's why I subscribed to the thread in hopes to get some fly-on-the wall info about the company and it's products to see if they were right for me and which models fit the bill.

I realize that the most aesthetically appealing location isn't always the best but as of the time I'm typing this I don't feel the need to wring every ounce of performance out of my setup. If I'm in the market for something new and can get better then that will be an upgrade for me. Once I get to a point of preparing to finish that location I will post up pictures, blueprints & measurements in the proper area to try to solicit input before construction begins. Once I get the room finished out and I start putting finishing touches on things and 'finish' what it is I've had in my mind for nearly a decade now I'm sure my desire to locate and tune everything will grow as well. As of right now it's kind of the clean car v dirty car debate... I'm watching movies in a gigantic concrete room with exposed floor joists & HVAC ducting so it's hard to care about the finite adjustments and what not much like you seem to take better car of your car when it's clean. Does any of that make sense? I get that there's a proven method for setup and dialing them in but I haven't done any of that with my current setup for many years and been satisfied even though I knew there was more on the table to be had if I wanted to delve into that process of learning and application.

Just looking for something at least comparable to what I have now with proven reliability and little to no know issues that also gives me the flexibility for when the bug bites to optimize everything I own.
I have no prejudice to used car salesmen but it's an age old adage that you alluded to quite clearly. Your statement basically said you can't trust what tom will say because he has money on the line.

sorry to argue this point...but i dont think you know what you wrote...please see above bold it clearly states you won't worry about your room because it's not finished. Says nothing about lack of fine tuning due to time constraints

and yes you are way off base saying most of this thread is OT..just saying
ahblaza likes this.

Last edited by Brian Fineberg; 01-06-2015 at 12:15 PM.
post #16042 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Perhaps you'd find more direct feedback that you are looking for if you started another thread asking your questions. Then you would likely get input from folks other than those that own PSA and that might be helpful to you in getting other perspectives.
Alan P and ahblaza like this.
post #16043 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have no prejudice to used car salesmen but it's an age old adage that you alluded to quite clearly. Your statement basically said you can't trust what tom will say because he has money on the line.

sorry to argue this point...but i dont think you know what you wrote...please see above bold it clearly states you won't worry about your room because it's not finished. Says nothing about lack of fine tuning due to time constraints

and yes you are way off base saying most of this thread is OT..just saying
Oh boy. And people wonder why I don't post to ask. Too many people want to rush to judgement to spark a debate or tell you what you meant or think. Heaven forbid we get to the part where you start telling me how to arrange my room or what to buy.

Jer

post #16044 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Oh boy. And people wonder why I don't post to ask. Too many people want to rush to judgement to spark a debate or tell you what you meant or think. Heaven forbid we get to the part where you start telling me how to arrange my room or what to buy.
I'm just telling you how it reads. Sorry for misinterpreting it
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #16045 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Full moon tonight :smiley:
post #16046 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Wife and I are moving on Friday... time to repack the XS30se.

That big boy is heavy. Should be fun to redo the subcrawl and find him a new nest

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #16047 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
Wife and I are moving on Friday... time to repack the XS30se.

That big boy is heavy. Should be fun to redo the subcrawl and find him a new nest
just went through that a couple months ago....mine was dual xs30's though...

congrats on the move...new dedicated room??
post #16048 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 543
I wish. Maybe a few years down the line.

A small 2 bedroom house with a big yard. The dog was a major factor when looking for a place.

Dual XS30... Gotta say, a bit jealous here.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #16049 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
straight up?
I'm sure we could come close
Where you from brian
post #16050 of 29848 Old 01-06-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
I wish. Maybe a few years down the line.

A small 2 bedroom house with a big yard. The dog was a major factor when looking for a place.

Dual XS30... Gotta say, a bit jealous here.
they are saweeeet. but one aint no joke (i ran a single for 6 months)...also is your sig the minion way to say toy?

Quote:
I'm sure we could come close
Where you from brian
RI...not sure i would do it...I love the extension of the xs30's but what I would be missing would be made up for with out put and handled by my buttkicker

hmmmmmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page