Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 538 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #16111 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Hi guys, haven't posted in a while, so huh Happy New Year I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossdog304 View Post
I think there must have been something wrong with my 805 because my bass is phenomenal now. I almost considered getting rid of them, would of been a mistake as I am finally experiencing the bass everyone here is talking about.
I just wanted to comment on this -- not necessarily because of the specifics, but just to complain in general. Is it just me or getting bass right is harder than it should with most HT setups?

Let me 'splain... it used to be that receivers had a bass dial and if there wasn't enough you'd turn it up. Now with multiple sources, advanced, calibrated AVR's... you never know what's wrong when it sounds wrong. Is it the sub? Is it the AVR? Is it some config parameter? The source? Seriously, how many perfectly good subs were returned because a setup detail lead to anemic bass?

I'm in that mood because last weekend I did my yearly Subfest (in which my GF graciously takes my kids off to a friend for one night so that I can do whatever I want with my HT setups -- we typically listen to music and demos while eating sub sandwiches). Don't worry -- my setups *did* deliver and decibels were heard.

However one of the guests brought a CD-ROM filled with MP3s he wanted to hear. (I know, I told him we weren't in 1995 anymore). So to play those I popped the CD into my Sony BD player. The tunes were supposed to be hard-hitting psytrance tracks, but seriously, even at high volume, bass was anemic and I knew something was off. I didn't have much time with all the guests around to fiddle with the setup. I quickly checked -- the BD player decoded the MP3 using DTS Neo:6 Music and sent multi-channel LPCM via HDMI to my Denon receiver. The AVR was correctly configured with a 100 Hz crossover and the subs' drivers were moving, so the signal got there.

I just ejected the disc and played it in my HTPC instead using XBMC / Kodi -- which decoded it as stereo I guess and also used HDMI to the receiver. Bass was probably twice as loud this way. It sounded almost great -- I'd say balanced, since the setup is EQ'ed flat. But hey, you're in a party and somebody wants to be blown away by your sub, it's time to turn up the bass right?

It's not so easy with my X4000 and dual subs. Yeah I could bump the sub trim levels for each sub by the same amount and remember to revert back for the demos afterward. But then again it would only affect the subs, whereas the bass dial I was referring to earlier was a shallow-slope low-pass filter that acted across the board with a cut-off of what, 120 Hz or so? It affects frequencies well above the crossover, which I think is important especially if your setup uses a crossover below 80 Hz. I have a bass/trebble setting in my AVR but if I want to use it I must disable Audyssey first. I guess the easiest way to adjust the EQ on the fly would have been through the media player app, but it looks like graphic EQs are out of fashion in media players nowadays.

Ok so I don't have a specific question, just wanted to say that when bass isn't right, sometimes it's just arcane details of source, formats, decoders and such that are the culprit. But I'd be interested in knowing what you guys do when you just want that +10 dB club sound for parties.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16112 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 496
@Red99 , I had a inner feeling that your query would be resolved

@Brian , are you saying that your room isn't finished?

@Jeremy , please don't go away, stay here for a while, I think you will get a different perspective the longer you hang around.

Cheers Jeff
post #16113 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
I'm in that mood because last weekend I did my yearly Subfest (in which my GF graciously takes my kids off to a friend for one night so that I can do whatever I want with my HT setups -- we typically listen to music and demos while eating sub sandwiches). Don't worry -- my setups *did* deliver and decibels were heard.

You only get one day a year to stretch your systems legs?! You need to negotiate that to at least one day a month, dude.

Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing what you guys do when you just want that +10 dB club sound for parties.
I'm not much help here...I don't have parties anymore, although I do miss those days.

I will say...with the right music, my setup provides plentiful bass with my "everyday" settings. If I did feel the need for a temporary bump in the bass, I'd probably use the AVRs sub trims...unless your sub gain knob has detents (as mine do) or a digital display so you can easily turn it back to where you had it.
ahblaza likes this.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #16114 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post
I hope this helps the Discussion. I just bought a XS30es yesterday!!!!! just waiting to see when it will be shipped.
For now I will be using with my servo signature 15" running both subs through the Marantz 8801 which has XT32
Congrats! Is your existing sub sealed or ported?
post #16115 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Congrats! Is your existing sub sealed or ported?
sealed sub- paradigm
signature 15" servo
post #16116 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 206
What's the odds on the same day I order another XS30SE that my wife ask me " hey, what ever happened to your Christmas bonus".
Alan P, buckley44 and neutro like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, Dual PSA XS30se subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #16117 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
What's the odds on the same day I order another XS30SE that my wife ask me " hey, what ever happened to your Christmas bonus".
I'm gonna guess very very good
Mike Butny and ahblaza like this.
post #16118 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 199
im gonna guess that somebody is gonna be in trooouuuuuuuble!
Mike Butny likes this.
post #16119 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
LOL. "Oh, they gave the bonuses out in terms of subwoofers instead of cash this year..."
Mike Butny likes this.
post #16120 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
im gonna guess that somebody is gonna be in trooouuuuuuuble!
I guess I'm going to be in the dog house but I look at as I'm going to have 2 XS30SE in that house too!!!!!
buckley44 likes this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, Dual PSA XS30se subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #16121 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
sealed sub- paradigm
signature 15" servo
They should play nicely together!!!!!
buckley44 likes this.

post #16122 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
LOL. "Oh, they gave the bonuses out in terms of subwoofers instead of cash this year..."
what an amazing excuse! nice thinking fatty!

Quote:
I guess I'm going to be in the dog house but I look at as I'm going to have 2 XS30SE in that house too!!!!!
"i understand dear.....i'll just take my pillow and sleep on the couch.....in the HT..... "
post #16123 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mike, tell the misses that it was all my fault, that a fellow forum member said that it was an absolute necessity, one XS30SE can't work right in the same room and it takes two to function properly. It won't really be lying just stretching the truth a bit. Let me know what you think when you get them both dialed in, I think you will be a very happy camper indeed. Congrats my man.
Cheers Jeff
post #16124 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Mike, tell the misses that it was all my fault, that a fellow forum member said that it was an absolute necessity, one XS30SE can't work right in the same room and it takes two to function properly. It won't really be lying just stretching the truth a bit. Let me know what you think when you get them both dialed in, I think you will be a very happy camper indeed. Congrats my man.
Cheers Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I was going to go with the XS15SE but everyone including yourself recommended to add another XS30SE and I knew if I went with the 15SE that I would always wonder what would 2 XS30SE's sounded like. I went back and forth with Tom ( great service again) over the last few days and I decided at the last minute to go with another XS30SE. I CANNOT wait until I get the second XS30SE up and running.
Alan P, buckley44, ahblaza and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 01-07-2015 at 06:07 PM.
post #16125 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Jeff, I was going to go with the XS15SE but everyone including yourself recommended to add another XS30SE and I knew if I went with the 15SE that I would always wonder what 2 XS30SE's sounded like. I went back and forth with Tom ( great service again) over the last few days and I decided at the last minute to go with another XS30SE. I CANNOT wait until I get the second XS30SE up and running.
Your gonna be floored. Biggest upgrade I ever made was buying a second xs30
post #16126 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Your gonna be floored. Biggest upgrade I ever made was buying a second xs30

Thanks Brian, every time I saw your signature with 2 XS30SE I kept telling myself " man do I want 2 of these beasts". I'm just trying to figure out what movie is going to be the first one? My buddy Buckley44 bought an XS30SE so I'm excited for him too, he has an awesome set up at his house.
buckley44 likes this.

post #16127 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone that has REW in this thread so happen to live in the Minneapolis area? I would like to have someone help me dial in my system if possible. I have had my xs15se for a couple weeks and I'm always wondering if I could squeeze some more out if it. I can pay in good beer. Lol
post #16128 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc79 View Post
Anyone that has REW in this thread so happen to live in the Minneapolis area? I would like to have someone help me dial in my system if possible. I have had my xs15se for a couple weeks and I'm always wondering if I could squeeze some more out if it. I can pay in good beer. Lol
I second that asking for help and I'm near Sacramento cali
Beer and money here :beers: :moneybag: lol
post #16129 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
You only get one day a year to stretch your systems legs?! You need to negotiate that to at least one day a month, dude.
You make it look bad Well, I *can* pump up the volume from time to time, and it will happen more regularly once my younger son goes to the kindergarten and *cough cough* I have to take a sick day. But a whole night with my friends? That means my GF must go elsewhere with the kids, and yep, about once a year so far I do manage to listen to music loud, or watch a movie at honest levels (especially kids movies -- when the kids are awake), from time to time, but having several hours to go crazy with the setups, that happened only a handful of times, I admit.

Quote:
I will say...with the right music, my setup provides plentiful bass with my "everyday" settings.
Same for me in fact. When I stream music to my X4000 using DLNA, my playlist sound awesome. With other sources, as I saw, it depends. And the "slam" question is quite frequent in sub threads here, so I know I'm not the only one who'd like a quick way to go to a fully skewed EQ setup and back to a flat setup at the press of a button.

One point of comparison is my car. I don't even have a sub in my car and when I pump the volume it distorts like crazy. I once used a laptop and REW to measure the frequency response in my car and it's *completely* out of whack, with 10+ dB peaks between 80 and 120 Hz. I *know* it doesn't sound "right" but damn is it fun sometimes. You can't even reproduce the feeling by bumping the sub's trim level if you're crossing at 80 Hz.
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #16130 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Brian, every time I saw your signature with 2 XS30SE I kept telling myself " man do I want 2 of these beasts". I'm just trying to figure out what movie is going to be the first one? My buddy Buckley44 bought an XS30SE so I'm excited for him too, he has an awesome set up at his house.
Mike, I knew after we talked I could feel your excitement as we exchanged PMs, I could tell you were on the fence but I knew after you had time to think about it you would be saying WHAT IF I'm so excited for you my friend and feel free to continue our chats as often as you like. I'm going to use your name when the misses sees the FedEX truck delivering two more XS30SEs to my house, I'll say MIKEY MADE ME DO IT Congrats again.
Cheers Jeff
Mike Butny likes this.
post #16131 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Mike tell her what I told my wife, she has a new end table coming, and I work my butt off to get it so she better appreciate it
Mike Butny likes this.
post #16132 of 19328 Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Mike tell her what I told my wife, she has a new end table coming, and I work my butt off to get it so she better appreciate it
That's funny..... The XS30SE should be a nice addition to your system.

post #16133 of 19328 Old 01-08-2015, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I finally got my two new XS30SE delivered to my house in Norway after talking with Tom on their website. I must say i am initially very impressed. They are also huge so i struggled to get them placed in my basement theater. I have only started up one of them and tested random without any real measured adjustments and i must say it plays extremly well right out of the box . Build and quality is also top notch i must say. I can`t belive how cheap theese subs are as upposed to the quality in sound and build quality they have even if i had to pay over 600USD to have them shipped to Norway.
Maybe i am the first to have bought theese in Norway also as we have no importer here as of now. i don`t know.
I will post some more impressions once i have set them up properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0588[1].jpg
Views:	62
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	466298   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0591[1].jpg
Views:	72
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	466306  
mnc, buckley44, ahblaza and 1 others like this.
post #16134 of 19328 Old 01-08-2015, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tor01 View Post
I finally got my two new XS30SE delivered to my house in Norway after talking with Tom on their website. I must say i am initially very impressed. They are also huge so i struggled to get them placed in my basement theater. I have only started up one of them and tested random without any real measured adjustments and i must say it plays extremly well right out of the box . Build and quality is also top notch i must say. I can`t belive how cheap theese subs are as upposed to the quality in sound and build quality they have even if i had to pay over 600USD to have them shipped to Norway.
Maybe i am the first to have bought theese in Norway also as we have no importer here as of now. i don`t know.
I will post some more impressions once i have set them up properly.
Congrats. Hey are damn good looking subs! You are gonna love them. How big is your Ht?

Would love to see more pics of your setup! Don't be a stranger!
post #16135 of 19328 Old 01-08-2015, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Thanks. Theese are great subs. No doubt about that . My HT is 3.5*7,5Meters large. I will post some more pictures when i get home later today if any interest.
post #16136 of 19328 Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Nice PSA is going global!
tor01 likes this.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Klipsch RF-82 II's, RC-62 II, RB-61 II's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #16137 of 19328 Old 01-08-2015, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
Nice PSA is going global!
I wonder if tom sells stocks I wanna buy into psa :smiley:
post #16138 of 19328 Old 01-08-2015, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
tell her your real name is actually Clark Griswold

congrats, I wish we got a X-Mas bonus where I work
Mike Butny likes this.

Last edited by Homebrew101; 01-08-2015 at 07:32 AM.
post #16139 of 19328 Old 01-08-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post
I second that asking for help and I'm near Sacramento cali
Beer and money here :beers: :moneybag: lol

All the help you'll ever need is right here!

Getting Started with REW: A Step-by-Step Guide

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #16140 of 19328 Old 01-08-2015, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Very true. I just need to pony up and buy a mic and dig in. Maybe next month. Spent too much money already in January. Lol
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page