Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 541 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16201 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Red99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
A room that big you should have gone with ported.

But to answer your question. No you won't effect the life of the subs as the 105 is just peaks. No worries
Tom recommended the sealed. I think maybe he misunderstood what I was looking to achieve. If you don't care for the chest thump from drums in music or if you listen to lower volumes, they are a great choice. And you cant beat them for the price. And after listening to them, I do like the tight bass sound of these subs even when cranked up. I turn them off and my dual 10 inch drivers in each of my Klipsch sound bland. But there just isn't that impact. I wish I had a smaller room because I bet they would be really kick azz then. All the people that has a dedicated closed HT room are so lucky. I feel like I am trying to blow the leafs out of my yard with a hair dryer.


SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's,

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
Red99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16202 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,031
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
Yeah they are great subs. I am surprised he suggested the sealed. He usually leans towards ported subs. Sealed have the advantage of utilizing it's environment to gain in the low frequencies. You don't have this luxury. Not to say you don't have good output. But with the ported designs I think you would get what yor looking for.

I had the xv15 before my xs30. And it sounded just as tight and composed as the sealed. I just wanted the extension
ahblaza likes this.
Brian Fineberg is offline  
post #16203 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 1,140
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Hey Red you're never going to be happy with dual XS15s in that warehouse, sorry to be so blunt but I don't care how you slice it the laws of physics do apply. I'm thinking at least two or three XV30FSEs. I like Brian am interested in the depth of the sealed design and I have a room that is 1/3rd of yours and dual XS30SEs are very nice but I still want more

To the OP with the T-18s don't be afraid to turn the gain up on those amps and manage the trims in the AVR or pre-pro.

As far as using both AVR's bass and subwoofer's management, you're just defeating your purpose having two XOs doing the same thing. That's conflict time.
Cheers Jeff
oneeyeblind likes this.
ahblaza is offline  
post #16204 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Red99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Yeah they are great subs. I am surprised he suggested the sealed. He usually leans towards ported subs. Sealed have the advantage of utilizing it's environment to gain in the low frequencies. You don't have this luxury. Not to say you don't have good output. But with the ported designs I think you would get what yor looking for.

I had the xv15 before my xs30. And it sounded just as tight and composed as the sealed. I just wanted the extension
That is why he suggested the sealed. They have better extension.


SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's,

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
Red99 is offline  
post #16205 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Red99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey Red you're never going to be happy with dual XS15s in that warehouse, sorry to be so blunt but I don't care how you slice it the laws of physics do apply. I'm thinking at least two or three XV30FSEs. I like Brian am interested in the depth of the sealed design and I have a room that is 1/3rd of yours and dual XS30SEs are very nice but I still want more

To the OP with the T-18s don't be afraid to turn the gain up on those amps and manage the trims in the AVR or pre-pro.

As far as using both AVR's bass and subwoofer's management, you're just defeating your purpose having two XOs doing the same thing. That's conflict time.
Cheers Jeff
Where does it end?


SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's,

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
Red99 is offline  
post #16206 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
Where does it end?
Wherever you decide it does
ahblaza likes this.
FattyMcButterPants is offline  
post #16207 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 1,140
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Wherever you decide it does
Randy my man, I think for me it ends when I do
Cheers Jeff
ahblaza is offline  
post #16208 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,422
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
That is why he suggested the sealed. They have better extension.
But not useable extension in your room size. I believe I said it before not sure why TV sold you a pair of sealed XS15's instead of ported, not just the small ported xv15, you need a pair of xv30's unless you have size and finance constrain.
Alan P likes this.
tvuong is offline  
post #16209 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 1,140
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post
Well, my T-18 got delivered a couple days ago. It was something of a weird situation, b/c the R&L guy called me outta the blue saying he was at the end of my street and ready to deliver, without any call to set up the delivery.

He said the reason was that the delivery was set to be delivered to the med school that is my employer, and that they never bother calling to set up for deliveries to large businesses. Unfortunately, the autofill on my credit card on my Mac always lists my 'company name' by default. So they figured they were delivering to a business address rather than a residential one.

So I plugged everything in. I still need to get the microphones out for both my Onk 3010 and my SMS to get everything calibrated, but we all know we're impatient. So I played some of my strong bass titles (WOTW, Cloverfield, a number of others). I hate to say it, but, as of this point, I don't know that I'm getting as much spl as my Epik Conquest, which I relegated to my secondary HT.

Obviously, I need to do a lot of tweaking and work with my components. It's not that I think I've downgraded. Hell, even my wife noticed that the new sub sounds tight and good (granted, I've been filling in with a much smaller Hsu sub the last couple of months -- so the difference would be striking), but I guess my hope was that the T-18 would be a significant upgrade over my Conquest. Perhaps I was overly optimistic...


Hello, I was the second guy to get the original 15" Triax and wasn't really impressed at first coming from dual XS30s. Jim helped me out in the beginning as I wanted to manually set it up first and see what it could do.

Here is what I did on Jim's reco: I hope this makes some sense to you, I'm not very eloquent with my words.

Set the AVR's subwoofer level to it's midpoint. For example if your subwoofer level can be adjusted from -12dB to +12dB, set it to 0dB.

Play the subwoofer test tone and adjust the gain on the amp to the proper calibration level (I like mine hot).
The gain control on the T-18 amp is different than the Power X amp. On the Power X amp the gain control is smooth, while the T-18's amp has built in detents to add a tactile feel to the control. This may cause one setting to be slightly low and the next to be slightly high.
If this is the case, adjust the control to the closest setting you desire and use the AVR to fine tune the adjustment. It would help if you had someone to adjust the gain on the sub while you are in the MLP with the SPL meter (or just use a mic stand).

I found out that you have to set the gain fairly high on that amp and adjust to your preference with the AVR's trim levels. If the T-18 is anything like the original 15" Triax your foundation could suffer structural damage. I hope this helps you in some capacity as this is a nice sub. Are you aware of the different room size switch on the amp, that helps as well.
Cheers Jeff
oneeyeblind and Hopinater like this.
ahblaza is offline  
post #16210 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 1,140
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
But not useable extension in your room size. I believe I said it before not sure why TV sold you a pair of sealed XS15's instead of ported, not just the small ported xv15, you need a pair of xv30's unless you have size and finance constrain.
I wonder if Tom was aware of how much the room opened up and cf involved. As I stated above in an earlier post at least dual XV30Fs or three, ideally four
Cheers Jeff
ahblaza is offline  
post #16211 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
JAMES MCHUGHES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
But not useable extension in your room size. I believe I said it before not sure why TV sold you a pair of sealed XS15's instead of ported, not just the small ported xv15, you need a pair of xv30's unless you have size and finance constrain.
I wonder if Tom was aware of how much the room opened up and cf involved. As I stated above in an earlier post at least dual XV30Fs or three, ideally four
Cheers Jeff
If someone's looking for xv30f send me a pm. I have original boxes. Bought new in March of 2014
Alan P likes this.
JAMES MCHUGHES is offline  
post #16212 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
JAMES MCHUGHES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post
Well, my T-18 got delivered a couple days ago. It was something of a weird situation, b/c the R&L guy called me outta the blue saying he was at the end of my street and ready to deliver, without any call to set up the delivery.

He said the reason was that the delivery was set to be delivered to the med school that is my employer, and that they never bother calling to set up for deliveries to large businesses. Unfortunately, the autofill on my credit card on my Mac always lists my 'company name' by default. So they figured they were delivering to a business address rather than a residential one.

So I plugged everything in. I still need to get the microphones out for both my Onk 3010 and my SMS to get everything calibrated, but we all know we're impatient. So I played some of my strong bass titles (WOTW, Cloverfield, a number of others). I hate to say it, but, as of this point, I don't know that I'm getting as much spl as my Epik Conquest, which I relegated to my secondary HT.

Obviously, I need to do a lot of tweaking and work with my components. It's not that I think I've downgraded. Hell, even my wife noticed that the new sub sounds tight and good (granted, I've been filling in with a much smaller Hsu sub the last couple of months -- so the difference would be striking), but I guess my hope was that the T-18 would be a significant upgrade over my Conquest. Perhaps I was overly optimistic...


Hello, I was the second guy to get the original 15" Triax and wasn't really impressed at first coming from dual XS30s. Jim helped me out in the beginning as I wanted to manually set it up first and see what it could do.

Here is what I did on Jim's reco: I hope this makes some sense to you, I'm not very eloquent with my words.

Set the AVR's subwoofer level to it's midpoint. For example if your subwoofer level can be adjusted from -12dB to +12dB, set it to 0dB.

Play the subwoofer test tone and adjust the gain on the amp to the proper calibration level (I like mine hot).
The gain control on the T-18 amp is different than the Power X amp. On the Power X amp the gain control is smooth, while the T-18's amp has built in detents to add a tactile feel to the control. This may cause one setting to be slightly low and the next to be slightly high.
If this is the case, adjust the control to the closest setting you desire and use the AVR to fine tune the adjustment. It would help if you had someone to adjust the gain on the sub while you are in the MLP with the SPL meter (or just use a mic stand).

I found out that you have to set the gain fairly high on that amp and adjust to your preference with the AVR's trim levels. If the T-18 is anything like the original 15" Triax your foundation could suffer structural damage. I hope this helps you in some capacity as this is a nice sub. Are you aware of the different room size switch on the amp, that helps as well.
Cheers Jeff
Jeff
Maybe Im missing something here I just tried your experiment I broke out my spl meter put in mlp. Went to channel level in pioneer moved to zero than turned off all subs. I turned on one xv30f up front tuned it to 75 db than off went to 2nd xv30 up front tuned to 75db now both xv30f's are off coming to xs30 near field turned one on set to 75 than off now last xs30 all are at 76 db bye channel level is at zero in pioneer to recalibrate. My xv30f's are at 2pm but both xs30's are 1pm and 12pm. Yes 22 pm is a bit closer by half a foot than other xs30. Now with all on now I'm 85db. Guess if I don't calibrate I could set back at -11 to get down to where it was set at last calibration. After last calibration at -11 I actually turned it up to -7.0. Do others do that to right after calibration.
"Meaning running hot "

Last edited by JAMES MCHUGHES; 01-10-2015 at 02:44 PM.
JAMES MCHUGHES is offline  
post #16213 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
JAMES MCHUGHES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post
Well, my T-18 got delivered a couple days ago. It was something of a weird situation, b/c the R&L guy called me outta the blue saying he was at the end of my street and ready to deliver, without any call to set up the delivery.

He said the reason was that the delivery was set to be delivered to the med school that is my employer, and that they never bother calling to set up for deliveries to large businesses. Unfortunately, the autofill on my credit card on my Mac always lists my 'company name' by default. So they figured they were delivering to a business address rather than a residential one.

So I plugged everything in. I still need to get the microphones out for both my Onk 3010 and my SMS to get everything calibrated, but we all know we're impatient. So I played some of my strong bass titles (WOTW, Cloverfield, a number of others). I hate to say it, but, as of this point, I don't know that I'm getting as much spl as my Epik Conquest, which I relegated to my secondary HT.

Obviously, I need to do a lot of tweaking and work with my components. It's not that I think I've downgraded. Hell, even my wife noticed that the new sub sounds tight and good (granted, I've been filling in with a much smaller Hsu sub the last couple of months -- so the difference would be striking), but I guess my hope was that the T-18 would be a significant upgrade over my Conquest. Perhaps I was overly optimistic...


Hello, I was the second guy to get the original 15" Triax and wasn't really impressed at first coming from dual XS30s. Jim helped me out in the beginning as I wanted to manually set it up first and see what it could do.

Here is what I did on Jim's reco: I hope this makes some sense to you, I'm not very eloquent with my words.

Set the AVR's subwoofer level to it's midpoint. For example if your subwoofer level can be adjusted from -12dB to +12dB, set it to 0dB.

Play the subwoofer test tone and adjust the gain on the amp to the proper calibration level (I like mine hot).
The gain control on the T-18 amp is different than the Power X amp. On the Power X amp the gain control is smooth, while the T-18's amp has built in detents to add a tactile feel to the control. This may cause one setting to be slightly low and the next to be slightly high.
If this is the case, adjust the control to the closest setting you desire and use the AVR to fine tune the adjustment. It would help if you had someone to adjust the gain on the sub while you are in the MLP with the SPL meter (or just use a mic stand).

I found out that you have to set the gain fairly high on that amp and adjust to your preference with the AVR's trim levels. If the T-18 is anything like the original 15" Triax your foundation could suffer structural damage. I hope this helps you in some capacity as this is a nice sub. Are you aware of the different room size switch on the amp, that helps as well.
Cheers Jeff
Jeff
Maybe Im missing something here I just tried your experiment I broke out my spl meter put in mlp. Went to channel level in pioneer moved to zero than turned off all subs. I turned on one xv30f up front tuned it to 75 db than off went to 2nd xv30 up front tuned to 75db now both xv30f's are off coming to xs30 near field turned one on set to 75 than off now last xs30 all are at 75 db but channel level is at zero in pioneer ready to recalibrate. My xv30f's are at 2pm but both xs30's are 1pm and 12pm. Yes 22 pm is a bit closer by half a foot than other xs30. Now with all on now I'm 85db. Guess if I don't calibrate I could set back at -11 to get down to where it was set at last calibration. After last calibration at -11 I actually turned it up to -7.0. Do others do that to right after calibration.
"Meaning running hot "
Thanks
JAMES MCHUGHES is offline  
post #16214 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Member
 
bossdog304's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey red, I have dual xv30fse, almost 6,000 c/ft room. I am satisfied with deep bass and kick drum punch in the chest, and my seating area is in the middle of the room without treatments. I also run dual 10's for my mains and all my frequencies are on point. I wasn't satisfied at first, but I think my receiver was the problem, after I replaced that my bass improved 10 fold. Could be a slight break in period for the subs as well. Would recommend the T18 as well, but something about duals balances out better than a solo sub in a room that size.
bossdog304 is offline  
post #16215 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Red99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossdog304 View Post
Hey red, I have dual xv30fse, almost 6,000 c/ft room. I am satisfied with deep bass and kick drum punch in the chest, and my seating area is in the middle of the room without treatments. I also run dual 10's for my mains and all my frequencies are on point. I wasn't satisfied at first, but I think my receiver was the problem, after I replaced that my bass improved 10 fold. Could be a slight break in period for the subs as well. Would recommend the T18 as well, but something about duals balances out better than a solo sub in a room that size.
I dont think there is anything with my Receiver. I think the problem is my room.
ahblaza likes this.


SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's,

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
Red99 is offline  
post #16216 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Red99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza;30695825[B
]I wonder if Tom was aware of how much the room opened up and cf involve[/B]d. As I stated above in an earlier post at least dual XV30Fs or three, ideally four
Cheers Jeff
I don't know. I don't remember what all we chatted about. I hold nothing against Toms decision and since he is the one that is taking the chance of a return I'm sure he based his judgement on what he saw was the best choice of the information I gave him. This is my first subs, so I had nothing else for him to go by for a comparison. If I did, then he could have had something to work with. And not all people want the pressure or the thump, or crap falling off walls and shelves and are happy with just a nice tight bass tone, which these provide. I still believe for the money, you cant beat the price. But I would like to have about 10 more dB of headroom, and have some thump. Like I said, the sound quality is great. If I only listened to music only, these would be a keeper. But I have found out that movies takes a lot more woofage.


SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's,

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
Red99 is offline  
post #16217 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 06:25 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member
 
mnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 2,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
I don't know. I don't remember what all we chatted about. I hold nothing against Toms decision and since he is the one that is taking the chance of a return I'm sure he based his judgement on what he saw was the best choice of the information I gave him. This is my first subs, so I had nothing else for him to go by for a comparison. If I did, then he could have had something to work with. And not all people want the pressure or the thump, or crap falling off walls and shelves and are happy with just a nice tight bass tone, which these provide. I still believe for the money, you cant beat the price. But I would like to have about 10 more dB of headroom, and have some thump. Like I said, the sound quality is great. If I only listened to music only, these would be a keeper. But I have found out that movies takes a lot more woofage.
Sounds like you should upgrade to dual XS30's.
ahblaza likes this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, PSA XS30SE
mnc is online now  
post #16218 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NewOrlnsDukie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Well the Conquest is a monster of a sub. I would guess the T-18' output advantage is only above 30hz. In the 15-30hz I am guessing it is close with the Conquest possibly having a edge. I believe Tom Nousaine measured 104db @ 10hz 2m with only 4% thd.
Yeah, I think I've come to appreciate the low-end on the Conquest even more than I realized after another day of calibration and testing. This is an absolutely great sub, and, on the usual mid-bass heavy action films, I think I'd agree that I've gained. But, on the extreme-end pieces (WOTW, Pulse, a select few others), I have found that the sequences that previously shook me to my core are just not as strong as they are with the Conquest.

That being said, it's a definite net positive, as

1) my secondary HT has benefited immensely, as I now have the Conquest and an SVS in there, and it only has 7-foot ceilings (and it's farther away from our bedrooms -- so I can really go crazy )
2) my wife greatly prefers the size and look of the T-18, as it's in a room that we pretty much use all day, and that Conquest took up a crapload of space and was a bit of an eyesore.
3) for the vast majority of titles, this will have more punch

Wanted to edit just to add that this is still a friggin' prodigious sub for action movies (probably better than my Conquest and certainly better my SVS/Hsu/AV123/ other Epik sub, though none of those other subs are/were flagship models). I just finished watching Return of the Jedi and Gravity tonight, and this thing packs some unbelievable power. Explosions are house rattlers.

Last edited by NewOrlnsDukie; 01-10-2015 at 08:50 PM.
NewOrlnsDukie is offline  
post #16219 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,781
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post
Hey guys I have s question again in regards to now using my y adapter to all my subs. Since I'm now using both inputs on sub my buddy still insists I should be adjusting my hz control on amp of sub. I was told here in room to leave at max 150 HZ I'm confused. He says now I can have better control told me to set xv30f's at maybe 50 to 60 HZ and xs30's at 60 to 70 to start with
I do have it set at 50 HZ in pioneer receiver
Nothing against your buddy, but I'm sorry...he has no idea what he's talking about.

I wish sub manufacturers would just remove the adjustable crossovers from all HT subs, the world would be an easier place. I mean, who in this day and age is using a sub with a pre-amp/AVR that doesn't have bass management??

If you set the crossover ("hz") on the sub's plate amp at (or near) the crossover you have set in the AVR, you will have competing/doubling-up of crossovers....not a good thing. You need to control the crossover in one place, and the AVR is the correct place.

The crossover on the sub should always be set to max (or disabled, if that option exists on your sub).
ahblaza likes this.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is online now  
post #16220 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,781
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post
I've always set gain at 2pm but now running the xv30f's with the xs30's my pioneer during calibration tells me my subwoofer level is to high please turn down. I'm using mcacc not xt32 anymore
James,

First of all...why would you dump XT32 for MCACC? A big step back, IMO.


Just setting the gain on your subs to "2pm" ain't gonna cut it....different subs have different gain structures (yes, even identical subs) and "2pm" will not equate to the same db output on different subs.

You should be gain matching your (mis-matched) subs for optimal performance. See this post by Craig John.

Now, I know you've got some rather large subs there, so instead of moving them out into the center of the room, I think you could cut some corners and just gain match them "in place" and be just fine.

You do own an SPL meter, right??

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is online now  
post #16221 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,781
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Very cool. Fed EX just pulled up and dropped off my SE upgrade kit for my original XV15. Now I'll have matching XV15se twins. Time to get ready to play with bass heavy content and see what kind of difference there is. You just gotta love days like this.
Let us know Hop. I know basshead saw some significant gains when he upgraded his 3 XVs to SE.

Take some measurements before and after!
ahblaza likes this.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is online now  
post #16222 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,781
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
Need some advice from you bassheads! This is my dilemma! For music, I am OK, just no chest thumping bass. But I don't see my SPL going over 100 dB unless I wanted to listen to my music from outside the house or in the garage. But movies is a different story. I seem to be using up every bit of my headroom on movies.

Details: I have a open family room that opens to the kitchen, but also is open to the hallway and stairs, which the hallway and kitchen also opens to the formal dinning room. All in all, if I shut all the doors, I still have about 6500-7000 cubic feet of volume. Yes, its a sucks for HT unless you have something that IMAX uses.

Subs: I have two, PSA Dual XS15se subs.

Doing measurements with REW I start to get some grumbling and then compression when I start to heading north of about 105 dB. So I put in WOTW movie and tested to see how loud I watch movies yesterday. When the Pod Emerge Scene starts I was getting 105+ dB spikes. So is this OK, or should I be looking for some extra headroom? And does this hurt or shorten the life of the sub amps if I am using up all the headroom? I didnt think about it, but I should have put my infrared reader on the amp to see if it was getting hot.
Red,

As I (and others) have said before, you're asking a lot from dual XS15s in your size room. I'm actually quite surprised you're getting 105db without audible distortion (if I'm understanding you correctly). 105db is actually reference level for the LFE channel, so in reality you are meeting the standard.

However, if you're anything like me...105db peaks just don't cut it.

One option would be to get a MiniDSP and put in a steep low frequency cut below 30hz or so. That way your subs wouldn't be wasting energy trying to reproduce the really low stuff (a waste of resources in a room your size). You would net more headroom in the higher octave.

Have you tried stacking the 2 subs? You'll gain 6db of headroom when the subs are mutually coupled (within one wavelength of each other, which at 80hz is about 3 feet...I think).

That being said, I'd just upgrade to a couple big ass vented subs (or T-18s) and blow the walls down.
ahblaza likes this.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is online now  
post #16223 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,781
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
Where does it end?
With an empty bank account.





Ask me how I know.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is online now  
post #16224 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,781
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossdog304 View Post
Hey red, I have dual xv30fse, almost 6,000 c/ft room. I am satisfied with deep bass and kick drum punch in the chest, and my seating area is in the middle of the room without treatments. I also run dual 10's for my mains and all my frequencies are on point. I wasn't satisfied at first, but I think my receiver was the problem, after I replaced that my bass improved 10 fold. Could be a slight break in period for the subs as well. Would recommend the T18 as well, but something about duals balances out better than a solo sub in a room that size.
What receiver did you come from and what do you have now??

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is online now  
post #16225 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,781
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
I dont think there is anything with my Receiver. I think the problem is my room.
Red,

Do you have your mains set to "small"? With your speakers, have you ever tried them as "large" (with LFE+Main on)? I know it's against the norm, but it may be a possibility for you since you have very capable mains.

FYI, I'm currently running my KHorns as "large" and they measure fine and sound better than when set to "small".

*****I don't recommend doing this unless you have the ability to measure your response to make sure you're not doing any damage to your FR.****

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is online now  
post #16226 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
JAMES MCHUGHES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post
I've always set gain at 2pm but now running the xv30f's with the xs30's my pioneer during calibration tells me my subwoofer level is to high please turn down. I'm using mcacc not xt32 anymore
James,

First of all...why would you dump XT32 for MCACC? A big step back, IMO.


Just setting the gain on your subs to "2pm" ain't gonna cut it....different subs have different gain structures (yes, even identical subs) and "2pm" will not equate to the same db output on different subs.

You should be gain matching your (mis-matched) subs for optimal performance. See this post by Craig John.

Now, I know you've got some rather large subs there, so instead of moving them out into the center of the room, I think you could cut some corners and just gain match them "in place" and be just fine.

You do own an SPL meter, right??
I've always been an onkyo fan but just got fed up with hdmi issues they have so I sold my onkyo 5009 to avoid it going out and bought the pioneer sc-79 very powerful avr. Best of both worlds in my opinion for both movies and music. Onkyo is the best for movies but lacked in music. Pioneer has both in my opinion.
Yes I have a radio shack meter.
JAMES MCHUGHES is offline  
post #16227 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Red99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Red,

As I (and others) have said before, you're asking a lot from dual XS15s in your size room. I'm actually quite surprised you're getting 105db without audible distortion (if I'm understanding you correctly). 105db is actually reference level for the LFE channel, so in reality you are meeting the standard.

However, if you're anything like me...105db peaks just don't cut it.

One option would be to get a MiniDSP and put in a steep low frequency cut below 30hz or so. That way your subs wouldn't be wasting energy trying to reproduce the really low stuff (a waste of resources in a room your size). You would net more headroom in the higher octave.

Have you tried stacking the 2 subs? You'll gain 6db of headroom when the subs are mutually coupled (within one wavelength of each other, which at 80hz is about 3 feet...I think).

That being said, I'd just upgrade to a couple big ass vented subs (or T-18s) and blow the walls down.
If you are refering to THX refence level, then its 115 dB for the subs. I just looked it up today.

The low frequency effects channel is handled slightly differently and has a 10dB boost relative to the other channels. The maximum SPL that subwoofers could be asked to reproduce from the low frequency effects track is therefore 115dB at the listening position. In reality the situation is nearly always worse because the subwoofer must additionally reproduce bass managed* content from other channels. These challenges mean that multiple large subwoofers are typically needed to be able to properly reproduce the soundtrack as the director intended.


SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's,

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
Red99 is offline  
post #16228 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Red99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Red,

Do you have your mains set to "small"? With your speakers, have you ever tried them as "large" (with LFE+Main on)? I know it's against the norm, but it may be a possibility for you since you have very capable mains.

FYI, I'm currently running my KHorns as "large" and they measure fine and sound better than when set to "small".

*****I don't recommend doing this unless you have the ability to measure your response to make sure you're not doing any damage to your FR.****

I had them set to large when I first hooked up the subs then went to small and got deeper bass. If I recall, when they are set to large, Audessy wouldnt let me change the crossover and had it set to 40 Hz for the mains, which was taking away some Bass from the subs.


SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's,

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
Red99 is offline  
post #16229 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Red99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Where is the server on this forum located? Because I just posted and its 11:17pm here, but it says my last post was 7:15 am. So its 8 hours ahead of the West Coast.


SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's,

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
Red99 is offline  
post #16230 of 18782 Old 01-10-2015, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NewOrlnsDukie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
Where is the server on this forum located? Because I just posted and its 11:17pm here, but it says my last post was 7:15 am. So its 8 hours ahead of the West Coast.
My guess would be that, when you joined, you defaulted to GMT as your time zone.

WRT your crossover settings -- you should be able to change your crossover freq while still setting the mains to large. Granted, I don't have any Marantz rcvrs/ pre-pros in my home, but every one I've ever owned didn't handicap you with that restriction. Did you check the user manual?
NewOrlnsDukie is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off