Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 553 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23656Likes

Old 01-26-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Wanted to post my impressions of my dual XV-15se after a very fun weekend of playing in the home theater and fine tuning these. Ill get straight to the point. My system has never sounded better. These are fantastic subs and do exactly what I wanted them to do; keep up with my JBL 4670Ds at or around reference without compression and sound tuneful while doing it. Done, done, and done. My old HSU VTF-2.4s failed in all three of these areas. It kinda makes me upset how long I went before upgrading. Reference level with no compression is absolutely exhilarating!

It amazes me how wonderful of a company PSA is. Tom V. and Jim have created what I believe is the standard in which all other companies should strive for. Ive never seen an owner as passionate, patient, helpful, and intelligent as Tom V. This has been one of the best experiences Ive had in buying gear and having it live up to the hype or exceed it. Cheers to PSA!!!
mnc, ahblaza, newc33 and 3 others like this.

JBL Pro Cinema/PSA subs/Crown power/Sony SXRD projection/Elite screen/Seatcraft Granadas
MANCHESTER UNITED!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Wanted to post my impression of my dual XV-15se after a very fun weekend of playing in the home theater and fine tuning these. Ill get straight to the point. My system has never sounded better. These are fantastic subs and do exactly what I wanted them to do; keep up with my JBL 4670Ds at or around reference without compression and sound tuneful while doing it. Done, done, and done. My old HSU VTF-2.4s failed in all three of these areas. It kinda makes me upset how long I went before upgrading. Reference level with no compression is absolutely exhilarating!

It amazes me how wonderful of a company PSA is. Tom V. and Jim have created what I believe is the standard in which all other companies should strive for. Ive never seen an owner as passionate, patient, helpful, and intelligent as Tom V. This has been one of the best experiences Ive had in buying gear and having it live up to the hype or exceed it. Cheers to PSA!!!
Congrats on your new subs.

I have never communicated with Jim, but I can speak for Tom. that he is a really good person, and not just a salesman trying to push a product then dump you. I even seem him post on RA thread helping people over there. How cool is that. He seems to be more into helping to make people happy, even if its not his product. That is a lot of class. The other thing is I think he works 20 hours a day because he seems to always have time to answer questions for people. Not like a couple other people (Competitors) that seems too busy to answer messages or may answer back in a couple of weeks if you re lucky. So with PSA, you have really good and fast responsive AAA support. Which is very important in making a purchase.
Reddig likes this.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
Congrats on your new subs.

I have never communicated with Jim, but I can speak for Tom. that he is a really good person, and not just a salesman trying to push a product then dump you. I even seem him post on RA thread helping people over there. How cool is that. He seems to be more into helping to make people happy, even if its not his product. That is a lot of class. The other thing is I think he works 20 hours a day because he seems to always have time to answer questions for people. Not like a couple other people (Competitors) that seems too busy to answer messages or may answer back in a couple of weeks if you re lucky. So with PSA, you have really good and fast responsive AAA support. Which is very important in making a purchase.
Absolutely! I read through this entire thread and was so impressed with the way Tom would work to help everyone who needed it. Just top notch. Mad respect for that man and his products.

JBL Pro Cinema/PSA subs/Crown power/Sony SXRD projection/Elite screen/Seatcraft Granadas
MANCHESTER UNITED!!

Old 01-26-2015, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I have 2 pairs of Rocket fish wireless devices and they have been working great for almost 2yrs now. The only thing I wish I had done is bought a pair sooner...they definitely allow more placement options to dial in the subs response.
Thanks Bass that's good to hear, I'm about to order me a pair. I been thinking about going wireless with the one I already have, but wasn't sure how they would work. Thanks for the feed back.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:53 AM
Gov
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
Got the new amp installed
Was it easy to swap out the amp? My replacement will arrive tomorrow?

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 5482
So easy a caveman can do it.
Gov and mnc like this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 01-27-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 912
^^^ Says the caveman
Gov likes this.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
Old 01-27-2015, 08:14 AM

Takes one to know one.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 01-27-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Takes one to know one.
Touche!

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
Old 01-27-2015, 09:01 AM
Gov
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
So easy a caveman can do it.
Okay
basshead81 likes this.

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Old 01-27-2015, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
I have 2 pairs of Rocket fish wireless devices and they have been working great for almost 2yrs now. The only thing I wish I had done is bought a pair sooner...they definitely allow more placement options to dial in the subs response.
Are there any disadvantages to using the wireless device?
Old 01-27-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
None that I ran into. I didn't notice any delays in explosions or anything like that and the transmitters turned on and off like they were supposed to.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
None that I ran into. I didn't notice any delays in explosions or anything like that and the transmitters turned on and off like they were supposed to.
How about voltage, I know some receivers have issues powering the speaker power amps.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How about voltage, I know some receivers have issues powering the speaker power amps.
Hmm I can't say I ever had any issues with that either.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
Old 01-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anyone interested in some def techs
Pm me
Mythos 2 and 4's
Supercube subs
Bpvx's 2 pairs
Pm1000
Old 01-27-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
Was it easy to swap out the amp? My replacement will arrive tomorrow?

Screws, clips and you're done.......Maybe 10 minutes....
Gov likes this.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Wanted to post my impressions of my dual XV-15se after a very fun weekend of playing in the home theater and fine tuning these. Ill get straight to the point. My system has never sounded better. These are fantastic subs and do exactly what I wanted them to do; keep up with my JBL 4670Ds at or around reference without compression and sound tuneful while doing it. Done, done, and done. My old HSU VTF-2.4s failed in all three of these areas. It kinda makes me upset how long I went before upgrading. Reference level with no compression is absolutely exhilarating!

I just wanted to add what a great gentleman Jim is as well. Tom does all the PR work and Jim does all the work Tom.............
Cheers Jeff
Reddig likes this.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just started using Rew for the first Time and I notice That on page 49 of getting started with Rew PDF I am not getting the SPL Reading Calibration window like the example shows you to set to 80db like your spl meter.
also on page 50 not getting Calibration completed window?
I'm also assuming that when you purchase the umik 1 mic from TV and download the cal file it already has a sensitivity file pasted in the file at the top of it.?
Old 01-27-2015, 12:43 PM

Just started using Rew for the first Time and I notice That on page 49 of getting started with Rew PDF I am not getting the SPL Reading Calibration window like the example shows you to set to 80db like your spl meter.
I'm also assuming that when you purchase the umik 1 mic from TV and download the cal file it already has a sensitivity file pasted in the file at the top of it.?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 4609
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post
Yes when you got to minidsp's website and download the cal file the sensitivity is already pasted into the file.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 3434
Quote:
Yeah, if you have a mic with a sensitivity factor line in the cal file you will be unable to calibrate the SPL in REW. You're good to go.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 1305
Quote:
Potentially.

I used one for a bit with subs that flanked my couch. Each about 4 feet from my main LP. After putting them in the chain and running Audyssey it had the distance set at 28ft. So the delay in getting from the receiver to the subs adds about 25ft to the sub distance calculated by Audyssey. I believe the max sub distance in Audyssey is 30ft. I am guessing if the subs would have been further away from my LP then audyssey would not have been able to calculate correctly.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'd like a lot more punch/mid-bass. I have 2 XV15se's being pushed by a little x1000. any ideas on what the best route to take here would be? My old dual 12's of a different manu couldn't come close to the range/depth/richness of these but they had punch for days. mmm...puuunnnch.

Stuff, I have some of it
Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Post a graph and some questions, I'm sure the boys can get you on the right track

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & XS30SE subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Potentially.

I used one for a bit with subs that flanked my couch. Each about 4 feet from my main LP. After putting them in the chain and running Audyssey it had the distance set at 28ft. So the delay in getting from the receiver to the subs adds about 25ft to the sub distance calculated by Audyssey. I believe the max sub distance in Audyssey is 30ft. I am guessing if the subs would have been further away from my LP then audyssey would not have been able to calculate correctly.
From what I gather, this is not correct.

Audyssey can set distances longer than 30', you just can't adjust them. Not sure how you'd do the distance tweak, but that's what I've read here.

@basshead81 has the wireless sub kits and I know his subs get calibrated further than 30', maybe he'll chime in soon.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwinlied View Post
I'd like a lot more punch/mid-bass. I have 2 XV15se's being pushed by a little x1000. any ideas on what the best route to take here would be? My old dual 12's of a different manu couldn't come close to the range/depth/richness of these but they had punch for days. mmm...puuunnnch.
Have you done any/all of the below? Have you read the Audyssey 101 linked in my sig?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Set the gain on the sub to around 12:00-2:00 (just a starting point, gain structure can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another). Set phase to "0".

1. Connect sub and place it at the MLP
2. Do the sub crawl to determine the best location
3. Place sub in that location
4. Run Audyssey, first mic position only and "calculate"
5. Look to see where Audyssey has set your sub trim, you want it to be around -5db to -8db ideally
6. Adjust the gain on the sub up or down as needed
7. Repeat 4-6 until you get the sub trim around -5db to -8db
8. Run the full Audyssey calibration
9. Bump up the sub trim by 3db to 6db to your preference
10. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!
Old 01-27-2015, 03:58 PM

First Graph with FL/SUB/No Audyssey - If someone can give me some help I would appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rew.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	506657  
Old 01-27-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
First Graph with FL/SUB/No Audyssey - If someone can give me some help I would appreciate it.
Thats some big mountains you have there. Holy Moly. I take it you only have 1 sub? Did you do a sub crawl? And if yes, was there any other good locations? You may can try another area and see if that helps that Giant Peak and Null. If you only have 1 sub, this is where a 2nd sub may help. But maybe some of these more experienced guys can give you some more ideas on what to try to smooth that out some.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwinlied View Post
Measure your response...you probably have a cancellation in the upper bass range. I can tell you for a fact that my XV15's have enough punch to make your teeth chatter.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=Red99;31229009]Thats some big mountains you have there. Holy Moly. I take it you only have 1 sub? Did you do a sub crawl? And if yes, was there any other good locations? You may can try another area and see if that helps that Giant Peak and Null. If you only have 1 sub, this is where a 2nd sub may help. But maybe some of these more experienced guys can give you some more ideas on what to try to smooth that out some.[/QUOTE

No, That's with 2 subs - one Psa 30se and my older Paradigm signature 30 servo sub up front and the Psa is behind my couch, I have not done the sub crawl yet, I wanted to see a graph first. My back of my room is open to a kitchen area so that does not help, Once i can do some better placement maybe I can tame it down some because i'm loosing all my mid-bass. I also do not have any smoothing on that graph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread