Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 555 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #16621 of 16642 Old Today, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post
Just started using Rew for the first Time and I notice That on page 49 of getting started with Rew PDF I am not getting the SPL Reading Calibration window like the example shows you to set to 80db like your spl meter.
also on page 50 not getting Calibration completed window?
I'm also assuming that when you purchase the umik 1 mic from TV and download the cal file it already has a sensitivity file pasted in the file at the top of it.?
Yeah, if you have a mic with a sensitivity factor line in the cal file you will be unable to calibrate the SPL in REW. You're good to go.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC64ii, SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4, SUB: PSA T-18 x 2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16622 of 16642 Old Today, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
Are there any disadvantages to using the wireless device?
Potentially.

I used one for a bit with subs that flanked my couch. Each about 4 feet from my main LP. After putting them in the chain and running Audyssey it had the distance set at 28ft. So the delay in getting from the receiver to the subs adds about 25ft to the sub distance calculated by Audyssey. I believe the max sub distance in Audyssey is 30ft. I am guessing if the subs would have been further away from my LP then audyssey would not have been able to calculate correctly.
post #16623 of 16642 Old Today, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'd like a lot more punch/mid-bass. I have 2 XV15se's being pushed by a little x1000. any ideas on what the best route to take here would be? My old dual 12's of a different manu couldn't come close to the range/depth/richness of these but they had punch for days. mmm...puuunnnch.

DT BP7001SC (LR)
DT CLR3000 (C)
DT SM45 (Rears)
2x PSA XV15se (SW)
Denon AVR X1000
post #16624 of 16642 Old Today, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Just started using Rew for the first Time and I notice That on page 49 of getting started with Rew PDF I am not getting the SPL Reading Calibration window like the example shows you to set to 80db like your spl meter.
also on page 50 not getting Calibration completed window?
I'm also assuming that when you purchase the umik 1 mic from TV and download the cal file it already has a sensitivity file pasted in the file at the top of it.?
Post a graph and some questions, I'm sure the boys can get you on the right track

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, Dual PSA XS30se subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #16625 of 16642 Unread Today, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Potentially.

I used one for a bit with subs that flanked my couch. Each about 4 feet from my main LP. After putting them in the chain and running Audyssey it had the distance set at 28ft. So the delay in getting from the receiver to the subs adds about 25ft to the sub distance calculated by Audyssey. I believe the max sub distance in Audyssey is 30ft. I am guessing if the subs would have been further away from my LP then audyssey would not have been able to calculate correctly.
From what I gather, this is not correct.

Audyssey can set distances longer than 30', you just can't adjust them. Not sure how you'd do the distance tweak, but that's what I've read here.

@basshead81 has the wireless sub kits and I know his subs get calibrated further than 30', maybe he'll chime in soon.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC64ii, SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4, SUB: PSA T-18 x 2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #16626 of 16642 Unread Today, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwinlied View Post
I'd like a lot more punch/mid-bass. I have 2 XV15se's being pushed by a little x1000. any ideas on what the best route to take here would be? My old dual 12's of a different manu couldn't come close to the range/depth/richness of these but they had punch for days. mmm...puuunnnch.
Have you done any/all of the below? Have you read the Audyssey 101 linked in my sig?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Set the gain on the sub to around 12:00-2:00 (just a starting point, gain structure can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another). Set phase to "0".

1. Connect sub and place it at the MLP
2. Do the sub crawl to determine the best location
3. Place sub in that location
4. Run Audyssey, first mic position only and "calculate"
5. Look to see where Audyssey has set your sub trim, you want it to be around -5db to -8db ideally
6. Adjust the gain on the sub up or down as needed
7. Repeat 4-6 until you get the sub trim around -5db to -8db
8. Run the full Audyssey calibration
9. Bump up the sub trim by 3db to 6db to your preference
10. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #16627 of 16642 Unread Today, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
First Graph with FL/SUB/No Audyssey - If someone can give me some help I would appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rew.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	506657  
post #16628 of 16642 Unread Today, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
First Graph with FL/SUB/No Audyssey - If someone can give me some help I would appreciate it.
Thats some big mountains you have there. Holy Moly. I take it you only have 1 sub? Did you do a sub crawl? And if yes, was there any other good locations? You may can try another area and see if that helps that Giant Peak and Null. If you only have 1 sub, this is where a 2nd sub may help. But maybe some of these more experienced guys can give you some more ideas on what to try to smooth that out some.

SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's, Klipsch RC64-II (Soon), Klipsch RS62-II (Soon), (2) XS15se subs.

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
post #16629 of 16642 Unread Today, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 1834
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwinlied View Post
Measure your response...you probably have a cancellation in the upper bass range. I can tell you for a fact that my XV15's have enough punch to make your teeth chatter.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #16630 of 16642 Unread Today, 06:01 PM

[QUOTE=Red99;31229009]Thats some big mountains you have there. Holy Moly. I take it you only have 1 sub? Did you do a sub crawl? And if yes, was there any other good locations? You may can try another area and see if that helps that Giant Peak and Null. If you only have 1 sub, this is where a 2nd sub may help. But maybe some of these more experienced guys can give you some more ideas on what to try to smooth that out some.[/QUOTE

No, That's with 2 subs - one Psa 30se and my older Paradigm signature 30 servo sub up front and the Psa is behind my couch, I have not done the sub crawl yet, I wanted to see a graph first. My back of my room is open to a kitchen area so that does not help, Once i can do some better placement maybe I can tame it down some because i'm loosing all my mid-bass. I also do not have any smoothing on that graph.
post #16631 of 16642 Unread Today, 06:16 PM

[quote=buckley44;31230249]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
Thats some big mountains you have there. Holy Moly. I take it you only have 1 sub? Did you do a sub crawl? And if yes, was there any other good locations? You may can try another area and see if that helps that Giant Peak and Null. If you only have 1 sub, this is where a 2nd sub may help. But maybe some of these more experienced guys can give you some more ideas on what to try to smooth that out some.[/QUOTE

No, That's with 2 subs - one Psa 30se and my older Paradigm signature 30 servo sub up front and the Psa is behind my couch, I have not done the sub crawl yet, I wanted to see a graph first. My back of my room is open to a kitchen area so that does not help, Once i can do some better placement maybe I can tame it down some because i'm loosing all my mid-bass. I also do not have any smoothing on that graph.
You dont want to use smoothing on sub measurements. Take a measurement with just the PSA30se alone and post it. Your other sub could possible be cancelling out some FR.

Klipsch RF7-II's, Klipsch RC64-II (Soon), Klipsch RS62-II (Soon), (2) XS15se subs.

VIDEO:
post #16632 of 16642 Unread Today, 06:21 PM

buckley, putting it behind your sofa may not be too good if there is no wall there. If you have a wall next the side of the sofa, that would be better. But it should be close to a wall, or corner, and not out in the middle of the room.

VIDEO:
post #16633 of 16642 Unread Today, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Have you done any/all of the below? Have you read the Audyssey 101 linked in my sig?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Set the gain on the sub to around 12:00-2:00 (just a starting point, gain structure can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another). Set phase to "0".

1. Connect sub and place it at the MLP
2. Do the sub crawl to determine the best location
3. Place sub in that location
4. Run Audyssey, first mic position only and "calculate"
5. Look to see where Audyssey has set your sub trim, you want it to be around -5db to -8db ideally
6. Adjust the gain on the sub up or down as needed
7. Repeat 4-6 until you get the sub trim around -5db to -8db
8. Run the full Audyssey calibration
9. Bump up the sub trim by 3db to 6db to your preference
10. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!
That does help a great deal...or it will when I can do any of it. My sub placement options are pretty non-existent in this room. I have yet to do the crawl, but I have tried a few of the only other locations and the sound just wasn't up to par. I am thinking this room may be doomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Measure your response...you probably have a cancellation in the upper bass range. I can tell you for a fact that my XV15's have enough punch to make your teeth chatter.
I have my measuring tape handy...I've poked at the subs but they have yet to respond lol. I will be getting a new amp for one of my subs tomorrow from Tom so I might as well do at least the crawl while it's out. I will look into getting a measuring device soon. it's probably time to do that vs just keep throwing money at the problem. Thank you guys.

I have a tendency to just buy new stuff in hopes of solving things vs actually diagnosing/solving anything. While retailers love me for it...it does me little favors elsewhere in my house.

Ironically, this forum both helps me jump off of cliffs and talks me down from them. tis good.

DT BP7001SC (LR)
DT CLR3000 (C)
DT SM45 (Rears)
2x PSA XV15se (SW)
Denon AVR X1000
post #16634 of 16642 Unread Today, 06:31 PM

Quote:
buckley, putting it behind your sofa may not be too good if there is no wall there. If you have a wall next the side of the sofa, that would be better. But it should be close to a wall, or corner, and not out in the middle of the room.
I do have it about 3" off a side wall firing into the room the back wall is about 6' away which is a half wall with curtains covering the opening, Next to the half wall is 5 steps going up to a kitchen area.I do have a few options as far as placement I can try.
post #16635 of 16642 Unread Today, 06:33 PM

[quote=Red99;31230737]
Quote:

You dont want to use smoothing on sub measurements. Take a measurement with just the PSA30se alone and post it. Your other sub could possible be cancelling out some FR.
Why would the other sub be cancelling out some of the FR.
post #16636 of 16642 Unread Today, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I do have it about 3" off a side wall firing into the room the back wall is about 6' away which is a half wall with curtains covering the opening, Next to the half wall is 5 steps going up to a kitchen area.I do have a few options as far as placement I can try.
If you have REW, then put your sub where you listen to it at if you can elevate. You may not want to put it on your sofa. And get a SPL or your calibration mic and use REW to find the best spot of all the locations you can use.
But again, your other sub could be possible causing a cancellation. Or you have them out of phase.

VIDEO:
post #16637 of 16642 Unread Today, 06:38 PM

[quote=buckley44;31231353]
Quote:

Why would the other sub be cancelling out some of the FR.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=48286 This will explain it better than me.

VIDEO:
post #16638 of 16642 Unread Today, 06:46 PM

I think its because there are two different subs.

Use Identical Subwoofers
As a general rule, if you are using multiple subwoofers, it is best to use identical ones from the same manufacturer. Although using different subwoofers may work, equalization, level matching, and adjustments become much more difficult. In all the research on the use of multiple subwoofers, the experts have used identical subwoofers.

The Science Behind Identical Subwoofers: Assume we have a device with several metallic poles with a bob attached to them. The bobs are colored red, blue, and green. Each pole has a different length, thus having a different natural frequency of vibration. When the red bob is disturbed, it begins vibrating at its natural frequency. This in turn forces the attached bar to vibrate at the same frequency; and this forces the other attached red bob into vibrating at the same natural frequency. This is resonance - one bob vibrating at a given frequency forcing a second object with the same natural frequency into vibrational motion. However, the green and blue bobs would not resonate. This is because the frequency of the red bobs share the same natural frequency. The result is that the second red bob begins vibrating with a huge amplitude. Identical subwoofers will have the same natural frequency and can work together a lot easier to generate smoother low frequency sound.

ahblaza likes this.

VIDEO:
post #16639 of 16642 Unread Today, 07:10 PM

Before I worry about the 2 different subs, I'll try some different locations and take some more graphs. Tom V said it would not be a problem and they should work good together so I will try moving some things around and doing the sub crawl before I get to worried, With my room I'm not expecting the best results because of it being in the media/extra family rm, but I would like to dial it in the best I can for the given situation, I thought by adding the extra sub it would help with my situation but it seems like i have some work to do. I Remember my graphs looking better when I was using 1 sub with Arc on the anthem D2 ... Maybe Red is right about the one canceling out the other.
With taking the measurement with FL Speaker and Sub I thought only one sub was engaged anyways?
post #16640 of 16642 Unread Today, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Before I worry about the 2 different subs, I'll try some different locations and take some more graphs. Tom V said it would not be a problem and they should work good together so I will try moving some things around and doing the sub crawl before I get to worried, With my room I'm not expecting the best results because of it being in the media/extra family rm, but I would like to dial it in the best I can for the given situation, I thought by adding the extra sub it would help with my situation but it seems like i have some work to do. I Remember my graphs looking better when I was using 1 sub with Arc on the anthem D2 ... Maybe Red is right about the one canceling out the other.
With taking the measurement with FL Speaker and Sub I thought only one sub was engaged anyways?
Take a measurement of each sub separate and you will find out if there is a cancellation issue. You can also try turning the phase on 1 sub and see if that makes it worst or better. Lots of things you can experiment with.

VIDEO:
post #16641 of 16642 Unread Today, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Good idea. Bass and real-estate are very similar in that it's all about location, location, location. In general, two subs are far better than one because they can smooth the bass over more of the room. The key to that working is that they are properly located in the room. The good news is you have REW so you can SEE through your measurements where the best locations are for your subs (the best locations will tame the mountains and valleys of your graphs quit a bit). The bad news is you will have to spend some time and sweat equity moving subs, running Audyssey, Running REW…. Moving subs again etc. But in the end it will be well worth the effort.
Mike Butny and ahblaza like this.
post #16642 of 16642 Unread Today, 09:55 PM

[quote=buckley44;31230249]
Quote:
Thats some big mountains you have there. Holy Moly. I take it you only have 1 sub? Did you do a sub crawl? And if yes, was there any other good locations? You may can try another area and see if that helps that Giant Peak and Null. If you only have 1 sub, this is where a 2nd sub may help. But maybe some of these more experienced guys can give you some more ideas on what to try to smooth that out some.[/QUOTE

Are you sure that is the model? I googled and couldn't find any info on that sub.
Anyway, which ever is the weakest should be next to the sofa. (From what I read)

VIDEO:
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page