Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 571 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #17101 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Exactly.

We're trying to find a way to get the miniDSP into more homes.. It really can lead to very audible benefits if folks take a little time to learn REW.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
You should include a printed copy of Jerry's REW Guide (in my sig)!

He's done a great MiniDSP guide recently, too.
oneeyeblind likes this.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17102 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
The umm-6(measuring mic) and mini dsp(EQ device) are 2 different devices.
Sorry, I meant the UMIK-1 and UMM-6?
post #17103 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 233
For anyone who dosen't know here is the link to the Speaker Power website.

http://www.speakerpower.net/

They have a couple of different amplifier lines, the main stream line is powered by the ICE power modules and are assembled in the USA. The higher powered models (the SP1-2400 and up) are custom in house designed amps that power a lot of the high end subwoofers on the market. For example the Triax/T-18 use the SP1-4000 (4000W @ 2 ohms). Seaton, JTR, Danely and others also use the larger speaker power amps.

ShaunH
post #17104 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by lz7j View Post
WHERE?!?!?!!!

I've been trying to google it the last half hour
Just curious, what is the allure of a v1800 when the V1500 is available at 1049/1999?

The enclosure would need to stretch out to accommodate the 18. Bigger box = more weight. More weight and size = more shipping costs. 18 cost more than 15. engineering costs that need to be rolled in...etc. So, overall....another $350(?) to the cost for maybe 1.5 - 2dB or so averaged from 16-100hz. The shipping costs would be about double I bet. So a much higher % of the product cost goes to the shipper instead of product content/engineering.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #17105 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Usually large place needs a sub advice room plan is attached.

Call for opinions. My schizophrenia continues, ported vs. sealed in this unusual room. I had XS15 then XS15se in this room and while non-SE sounded phenomenal for music in my main MLP, SE version got boomy in the exact same spot.

Now clean sheet. Starting from scratch. Extension is not my goal here. Accuracy and musicality are the primary concerns. I do not listen loud, actually prefer to listen a lot at moderate volumes but want to hear tight accurate musical bass at lower volumes. Most tower speakers lose bass at lower volumes and I think subs can mitigate that. My modest NHT SuperOnes 2.1 are good for blending. My goal is not to rattle the house with LFE soundtrack.

My preamp is Oppo 103 but can probably replace Oppo DSP with MiniDSP to blend two subs if needed.

That sealed vs. vented reading throws me off every time but when non-SE XS15 played in my house it was just brilliantly musical being sealed. I am not sure how dual V1500 will do for music being vented. Rhythmics’ vented sub is supposed to stay musical due to servo but will I get the same with V1500? Can I handle this room with two S1500s will they be inadequate for my MLP. I can place two of the subs into locations A and B on the attached plan, I do not need to pressurize the rest of that large room, I only listen in the MLP on the couch as pictured. I do need your honest expert opinion. I am being advised to spend money on a single Reaction Audio PS18x.

Please let me know what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	subwoofer_placement_options_room_sizing.png
Views:	23
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	557473  
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #17106 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Exactly.

We're trying to find a way to get the miniDSP into more homes.. It really can lead to very audible benefits if folks take a little time to learn REW.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Can't believe I get a free miniDSP with my S1500 now! You sure do know how to make a guy feel special

Now I feel like I should upgrade to an S3000 since I'm saving $100 on a miniDSP...

post #17107 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreshEntrailsX View Post
What part of the desert? Because it's been in the 80's for the better part of a week here in the Phoenix area.
Tucson area. I'll actually be in the Phoenix area this weekend so good to know it's warm too (as if there was any doubt lol).
post #17108 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post
Call for opinions. My schizophrenia continues, ported vs. sealed in this unusual room. I had XS15 then XS15se in this room and while non-SE sounded phenomenal for music in my main MLP, SE version got boomy in the exact same spot.

Now clean sheet. Starting from scratch. Extension is not my goal here. Accuracy and musicality are the primary concerns. I do not listen loud, actually prefer to listen a lot at moderate volumes but want to hear tight accurate musical bass at lower volumes. Most tower speakers lose bass at lower volumes and I think subs can mitigate that. My modest NHT SuperOnes 2.1 are good for blending. My goal is not to rattle the house with LFE soundtrack.

My preamp is Oppo 103 but can probably replace Oppo DSP with MiniDSP to blend two subs if needed.

That sealed vs. vented reading throws me off every time but when non-SE XS15 played in my house it was just brilliantly musical being sealed. I am not sure how dual V1500 will do for music being vented. Rhythmics’ vented sub is supposed to stay musical due to servo but will I get the same with V1500? Can I handle this room with two S1500s will they be inadequate for my MLP. I can place two of the subs into locations A and B on the attached plan, I do not need to pressurize the rest of that large room, I only listen in the MLP on the couch as pictured. I do need your honest expert opinion. I am being advised to spend money on a single Reaction Audio PS18x.

Who's doing the advising on the RA PS18X? Not trying to be smart here but you're asking PSA subwoofer owners to reco a RA subwoofer. The V1500 will sound fine for music, I had the XV15SEs in my home and must say that they were absolutely marvelous for music as many will attest to. This V1500 will have no compitition in this price range with the extra extension and output where it really counts, you can get two of these for under $2000. That's my advice unless you want to keep being advised by another company. Try them both, PSA has free return shipping....................That's a deal breaker. Also I can't express how having duals would help in all areas, especially in FR and smoothing. That's a big open area.
Cheers Jeff

Last edited by ahblaza; 02-20-2015 at 12:43 PM.
post #17109 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Quote:
What part of the desert? Because it's been in the 80's for the better part of a week here in the Phoenix area.
Tucson area. I'll actually be in the Phoenix area this weekend so good to know it's warm too (as if there was any doubt lol).
Ah you're pretty close. I actually live in San tan valley closer to florence than phoenix. Its usually a few degrees cooler in Tucson Tham in the metropolitan area. But still miserable from may til September.
post #17110 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 1975
First time I ever heard of a SE model being boomy compared to a Non SE. Sounds set up related.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #17111 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Was the boomy in Location B?

SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's, Klipsch RC64-II (Soon), Klipsch RS62-II (Soon)

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
post #17112 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 03:58 PM

Yes, location B, but non-SE was tight and accurate there. Worked with Tom, checked for air leaks, crawled, measured levels, distances, etc. I must say Tom V is focused on customer care for sure but it was quite tough to remotely solve.

Question remains, can two V1500 be musical subwoofers for this MLP. I am old school with sealed preference but hearing that if room is above 4000 cu ft then only ported will do. However, my goal is not entire room for bass, only MLP.

Appreciate the brainstorm from all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
Was the boomy in Location B?
post #17113 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

If you want to stick with sealed then your best option would be 2 XS30SE'S, they are priced a little more than the V1500'S. I would rather have 2 S3000I's over 1 PS18X, if your budget allows 2 S3000I'S then I would go that route.
ahblaza and Kini62 like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, Dual PSA XS30se subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 02-20-2015 at 06:55 PM.
post #17114 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Yes, location B, but non-SE was tight and accurate there. Worked with Tom, checked for air leaks, crawled, measured levels, distances, etc. I must say Tom V is focused on customer care for sure but it was quite tough to remotely solve.

Question remains, can two V1500 be musical subwoofers for this MLP. I am old school with sealed preference but hearing that if room is above 4000 cu ft then only ported will do. However, my goal is not entire room for bass, only MLP.

I personally don't believe sealed subs have any inherent advantage on music versus ported subs. However, if you only want them for music, then imo, there is no reason to go with ported. The benefit of a ported sub is much higher output around port tune, which is very important for home theater, as this affects the 16-25/30 Hz region. Completely meaningless for music. So there is no reason to deal with the added size and expense of a ported sub if your interest is only music. Output above 30 Hz will be roughly the same between an equivalent sealed and ported sub.

My opinion, and general rule of thumb is that sealed is just as good as ported for music. Ported advantage: much higher output around tune. Disadvantage: larger, therefore costs more.
Sealed: equal to ported for music, much less output in the low bass region that is noticeable(15-25/30 Hz). Advantage: smaller and cheaper.
Alan P, dvzzz, ahblaza and 2 others like this.

For Sale: PSA XV15se x 2 $675 each!!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...-725-each.html
post #17115 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 04:51 PM

Brilliant, precisely what I was looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
I personally don't believe sealed subs have any inherent advantage on music versus ported subs. However, if you only want them for music, then imo, there is no reason to go with ported. The benefit of a ported sub is much higher output around port tune, which is very important for home theater, as this affects the 16-25/30 Hz region. Completely meaningless for music. So there is no reason to deal with the added size and expense of a ported sub if your interest is only music. Output above 30 Hz will be roughly the same between an equivalent sealed and ported sub.

My opinion, and general rule of thumb is that sealed is just as good as ported for music. Ported advantage: much higher output around tune. Disadvantage: larger, therefore costs more.
Sealed: equal to ported for music, much less output in the low bass region that is noticeable(15-25/30 Hz). Advantage: smaller and cheaper.
post #17116 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Thats the first time I ever heard of a sealed as good as a ported for music. I have heard it the other way around. Generally people that are true audiophiles always favors the sealed subs.

SEALED SUBS: sealed subwoofers generally have a shallow low-end roll-off profile, which corresponds with good performance in the time domain (i.e. group delay / ringing). Last but not least, sealed subwoofers offer some degree of protection against bottoming out the driver, though it is still possible with sufficient power and the right content.

PORTED SUBS:Relative to their sealed cousins, ported subwoofers typically offer better low-end extension as well as greater output around their tuning point. However, there is no free lunch; deeply-tuned ported subwoofers tend to be quite large, making them less décor friendly as well as reducing placement options. Further, while ported subwoofers have a big output advantage down to their tuning point, below tune, frequency response drops off steeply while driver excursion goes off the charts. While most commercial subwoofers employ filters to protect the driver from over-excursion, this usually results in an even steeper low end roll off, and consequently problems with group delay and ringing.
Mike Butny likes this.

VIDEO:
post #17117 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Did you try moving the sub away from the corner a little? Here is some info I saved that may help if you have that trouble again, it may help, or it may make it worst. Its just some thoughts to try.

Subwoofer Placement
Room acoustics and furniture have an enormous impact on the sound of speakers. A well placed subwoofer’s bass integrates with the sound of the main speakers and produces a natural reproduction of music. A few guidelines for subwoofer placement are listed below.

Corner placement: This is the advice that is given most often. Although corner placement will yield loud bass, it may make the music sound boomy. You should place your subwoofer in a corner only if it is not capable of producing deep bass. It is also important to note that corner placement will not always make the subwoofer boom. In most cases, it depends highly on the geometry of the room. According to some experts, you should always place a sub in a corner, and use equalization to deal with audible peaks of the subwoofer's frequency response at that position.

You should not sit against the wall: Your movies and music will sound heavy and tiring when you are sitting against a wall. If you must sit against the wall because of the room’s layout, turn down the volume of the subwoofer to compensate.

Do not place the subwoofer in a symmetrical position in the room: Avoid putting a subwoofer in a location that is the same distance from the walls. Subwoofers sound better if they are placed in a location where their distances to the front, side, and rear walls are different.

Put the subwoofer close to the main speakers: Even though bass sounds are not directional, you will get a better blending between the main speakers and the subwoofer if they are on the same side of the room.
dvzzz and ahblaza like this.

VIDEO:
post #17118 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Just curious, what is the allure of a v1800 when the V1500 is available at 1049/1999?

The enclosure would need to stretch out to accommodate the 18. Bigger box = more weight. More weight and size = more shipping costs. 18 cost more than 15. engineering costs that need to be rolled in...etc. So, overall....another $350(?) to the cost for maybe 1.5 - 2dB or so averaged from 16-100hz. The shipping costs would be about double I bet. So a much higher % of the product cost goes to the shipper instead of product content/engineering.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Is that really all the performance advantage would be? I think for most of us the allure is a much more significant performance gain, and if that isn't possible then there is no allure whatsoever.

Quote:
Ah you're pretty close. I actually live in San tan valley closer to florence than phoenix. Its usually a few degrees cooler in Tucson Tham in the metropolitan area. But still miserable from may til September.
Haha yeah. It's really nice right now, just trying to enjoy it before summer hits. Spring is almost non existent here haha.
post #17119 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Is that really all the performance advantage would be? I think for most of us the allure is a much more significant performance gain, and if that isn't possible then there is no allure whatsoever.

Haha yeah. It's really nice right now, just trying to enjoy it before summer hits. Spring is almost non existent here haha.
My guess is it would require a rather beefy heavy 18 to get more than that. And even then it might add a lot of weight or require much larger amp.

There is of course of doing 2x15inch drivers of course. But neither option will be light or small.

ShaunH
post #17120 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 05:55 PM

Thank you. Good advice.

Quote:
Did you try moving the sub away from the corner a little? Here is some info I saved that may help if you have that trouble again, it may help, or it may make it worst. Its just some thoughts to try.

Subwoofer Placement
Room acoustics and furniture have an enormous impact on the sound of speakers. A well placed subwoofer’s bass integrates with the sound of the main speakers and produces a natural reproduction of music. A few guidelines for subwoofer placement are listed below.

Corner placement: This is the advice that is given most often. Although corner placement will yield loud bass, it may make the music sound boomy. You should place your subwoofer in a corner only if it is not capable of producing deep bass. It is also important to note that corner placement will not always make the subwoofer boom. In most cases, it depends highly on the geometry of the room. According to some experts, you should always place a sub in a corner, and use equalization to deal with audible peaks of the subwoofer's frequency response at that position.

You should not sit against the wall: Your movies and music will sound heavy and tiring when you are sitting against a wall. If you must sit against the wall because of the room’s layout, turn down the volume of the subwoofer to compensate.

Do not place the subwoofer in a symmetrical position in the room: Avoid putting a subwoofer in a location that is the same distance from the walls. Subwoofers sound better if they are placed in a location where their distances to the front, side, and rear walls are different.

Put the subwoofer close to the main speakers: Even though bass sounds are not directional, you will get a better blending between the main speakers and the subwoofer if they are on the same side of the room.
post #17121 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Thats the first time I ever heard of a sealed as good as a ported for music. I have heard it the other way around. Generally people that are true audiophiles always favors the sealed subs.
Yep, imo a very common misconception. Sealed is much more popular for music, but not better for music. They are smaller and cheaper, and the extra output around port tune is not needed for music. Therefore the extra size and cost does not make sense.

Plenty of life long, die hard sealed sub fans, who know with complete and absolute certainty that sealed subs sound "tighter/crispier/more accurate/faster" attend shootouts with subs of varying alignments...sealed(top quality), ported, horns....no one can reliably tell them apart in blind testing when level matched and eq'd flat in room. So yes, I think sealed are as good as ported for music.

As far as audiophiles go, well:

Now I do believe that many sealed subs are designed specifically with music in mind. And many ported subs are designed with excellent deep bass reproduction in mind. Such a ported sub can tend to not be as potent in the mid and upper bass as a sealed sub focused solely on mid and upper bass for music. So there are different design goals. But I believe a well designed ported sub can be just as capable with music as a well designed sealed sub, and vice versa. However, a sealed sub cannot overcome the advantage that a ported sub holds in output around tune...at least not without increased excursion and power.

For Sale: PSA XV15se x 2 $675 each!!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...-725-each.html

Last edited by bear123; 02-20-2015 at 06:05 PM.
post #17122 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 06:18 PM

This is reality, SE improved on the LFE tracks (I think extension got better) but musicality and accuracy and tightens of non-SE simply evaporated. Mushy, boomy, rambling (but constant annoying rambling), I honestly think that this level of difference cannot be just attributed to the SE upgrade. Perhaps some programming mishap with the amp's DSP but again, hard to believe knowing that PSA is not doing DSP programming for the first time. One thing was interesting on non-SE when your adjusted gain knob it had 2-3mm of reasonable travel before bass becomes overpowering just tight bass getting louder, on SE literally it went from no bass to booming rambling bass in less than one mm on the gain knob travel. Another point SE sub driver was in permanent movement even on quiet passages. My conclusion is that SE and non-SE are so dramatically different that their performance is so far apart that two subs are completely different identities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
First time I ever heard of a SE model being boomy compared to a Non SE. Sounds set up related.
post #17123 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
This is reality, SE improved on the LFE tracks (I think extension got better) but musicality and accuracy and tightens of non-SE simply evaporated. Mushy, boomy, rambling (but constant annoying rambling), I honestly think that this level of difference cannot be just attributed to the SE upgrade. Perhaps some programming mishap with the amp's DSP but again, hard to believe knowing that PSA is not doing DSP programming for the first time. One thing was interesting on non-SE when your adjusted gain knob it had 2-3mm of reasonable travel before bass becomes overpowering just tight bass getting louder, on SE literally it went from no bass to booming rambling bass in less than one mm on the gain knob travel. Another point SE sub driver was in permanent movement even on quiet passages. My conclusion is that SE and non-SE are so dramatically different that their performance is so far apart that two subs are completely different identities.
I had two of the XS15se's and for music I thought they sounded great, even playing over 90 dB. The drums where really tight and I heard nothing booming. I did not get the chest punch, but I have a very large open room. If your SE was sounding boomy, it may be due to more output and you were getting some severe peaks from room reflection. This is where REW comes in handy. Some of that could have been eliminated with placement of dual subs in the correct placement. I had a null on one, and a peak on the other. And with them booth they cancelled each other out.
jhughy2010 likes this.

VIDEO:

Last edited by Red99; 02-21-2015 at 09:52 AM.
post #17124 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Yep, imo a very common misconception. Sealed is much more popular for music, but not better for music. They are smaller and cheaper, and the extra output around port tune is not needed for music. Therefore the extra size and cost does not make sense.

Plenty of life long, die hard sealed sub fans, who know with complete and absolute certainty that sealed subs sound "tighter/crispier/more accurate/faster" attend shootouts with subs of varying alignments...sealed(top quality), ported, horns....no one can reliably tell them apart in blind testing when level matched and eq'd flat in room. So yes, I think sealed are as good as ported for music.

As far as audiophiles go, well:

http://youtu.be/3UQDTZcpsDE

Now I do believe that many sealed subs are designed specifically with music in mind. And many ported subs are designed with excellent deep bass reproduction in mind. Such a ported sub can tend to not be as potent in the mid and upper bass as a sealed sub focused solely on mid and upper bass for music. So there are different design goals. But I believe a well designed ported sub can be just as capable with music as a well designed sealed sub, and vice versa. However, a sealed sub cannot overcome the advantage that a ported sub holds in output around tune...at least not without increased excursion and power.
You are probably right bear. Maybe at one time there was a difference. And I agree the sealed will not overcome the advantage of a port around tune. But they will extend better. But thats another story that only works for people with very small rooms for HT and multiple drivers (More than 2). But most ported subs are tuned in the ULF range, where there is no music. So it has no purpose for someone that is only interested in music. It seems if you really want a sub to be musical, you would want it to play well between 20 Hz to 200 Hz, and maybe up to 400 Hz. And unless I am mistaken, a sealed sub will perform better in the upper end if the LF range.

VIDEO:
post #17125 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 426

Hey Bear I have to agree with most of what you say, having owned both good quality sealed and ported subs and using them both in music and HT conditions I can't say which I generally preferred. My XV15SEs to my ears sounded wonderful with music, going into that, my assumption was the biased thinking that sealed were better for music and ported better with HT. I have come to the conclusion that a well designed subwoofer be it ported or sealed will perform well in either situation, just like you mentioned in a blind test.

Now getting to the part that a sealed can't overcome the advantage that a ported sub has in output around tune, I think the XS30SE does this very well and think with the new 3000i with it's increased power and tweaked woofer (a little more excursion) this may well seal the deal so to speak and fill the void between ported and sealed with output capabilities near the tune of ported subs. PSA seems to be constantly putting their money were their mouth is instead of getting bigger, heavier drivers that jack up shipping cost, (increases to us and them) to achieve what 1-1.5dB increase in output for $3-400. What I'm trying to say is whether you go sealed or ported with PSA you will have made the right choice as I believe there is no wrong choice with their subs.

My only problem is and it's a big one, when is enough, enough? I don't know about the rest of the guys here but the made in USA means a lot to me, the economy of this country can be structured around made in this country products, create jobs here and feel confident that you can speak to the person who built the product that you just bought. Thank you for enlightening us folks on this forum with your knowledge and experience, it is greatly appreciated, at least by me. I also like the fact that we think a like and can come to the same conclusions while taking different roads to get there. Thanks for listening.
Cheers Jeff
post #17126 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
I had two of the XV15se's and for music I thought they sounded great, even playing over 90 dB. The drums where really tight and I heard nothing booming. I did not get the chest punch, but I have a very large open room. If your SE was sounding boomy, it may be due to more output and you were getting some severe peaks from room reflection. This is where REW comes in handy. Some of that could have been eliminated with placement of dual subs in the correct placement. I had a null on one, and a peak on the other. And with them booth they cancelled each other out.
i thought you had the XS15's?
ahblaza likes this.
post #17127 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Sealed vs. Ported
When choosing a subowofer box, the decision between sealed and ported will determine how the final install will sound. The general rule for this choice is fairly simple.

Sealed subwoofer boxes generally are much smaller than ported enclosures. If you're limited on space, it would probably be a good idea to go with a sealed enclosure. Not only is there a size difference, but there is also a difference in sound between the two enclosures. Sealed enclosures tend to produce tight, accurate bass and have a flat frequency response curve. They are also generally the enclosure of choice when looking for a SQ (Sound Quality) oriented setup.

Ported boxes can get very large and have many varying factors that will determine their size and sound output. Ported enclosures produce louder bass than sealed enclosures, and allow you to tune the box to a specific frequency to determine how the bass will sound. Higher tuning on a ported box will get louder, but at the expense of sound quality. Lower tuning will still get louder than a sealed box, and at the same time will yield fairly good sound quality.

Port area and port type also plays a role in ported enclosures. Too little port area for the subwoofer box can result in port noise, which can severely detract from the sound quality of your setup. To much port area can also have a negative impact on the sound quality. However, if your goal is to get loud and not care about sound quality, then a ported box, tuned high, with a large amount of port area is the way to go.

Personal preference and size limitations will both play a role in the decision between sealed or ported enclosures. If you have the room, and you want to get loud, go with a ported box. If you're limited on space or are looking for the best sound quality possible, it would generally be best to go with a sealed box. Either way, as long as the specifications of the subwoofer box are within the subwoofer manufacturer's recommended box specifications, you should be safe with either choice.
dvzzz, buckley44, ahblaza and 2 others like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, Dual PSA XS30se subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #17128 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
i thought you had the XS15's?
He did...just a matter of getting sub happy.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #17129 of 17327 Old 02-20-2015, 11:48 PM

Two S3000I will be very interesting indeed, but then price brings sealed 18" with the slave into the mix. Given that sealed 18-incher extend very low and continue to play well through mid and upper bass. I personally have not heard 18" + slave and few people actually did on these forums, but what not to like about 18" combo. Never ending quest for "what if".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
Sealed vs. Ported
When choosing a subowofer box, the decision between sealed and ported will determine how the final install will sound. The general rule for this choice is fairly simple.

Sealed subwoofer boxes generally are much smaller than ported enclosures. If you're limited on space, it would probably be a good idea to go with a sealed enclosure. Not only is there a size difference, but there is also a difference in sound between the two enclosures. Sealed enclosures tend to produce tight, accurate bass and have a flat frequency response curve. They are also generally the enclosure of choice when looking for a SQ (Sound Quality) oriented setup.

Ported boxes can get very large and have many varying factors that will determine their size and sound output. Ported enclosures produce louder bass than sealed enclosures, and allow you to tune the box to a specific frequency to determine how the bass will sound. Higher tuning on a ported box will get louder, but at the expense of sound quality. Lower tuning will still get louder than a sealed box, and at the same time will yield fairly good sound quality.

Port area and port type also plays a role in ported enclosures. Too little port area for the subwoofer box can result in port noise, which can severely detract from the sound quality of your setup. To much port area can also have a negative impact on the sound quality. However, if your goal is to get loud and not care about sound quality, then a ported box, tuned high, with a large amount of port area is the way to go.

Personal preference and size limitations will both play a role in the decision between sealed or ported enclosures. If you have the room, and you want to get loud, go with a ported box. If you're limited on space or are looking for the best sound quality possible, it would generally be best to go with a sealed box. Either way, as long as the specifications of the subwoofer box are within the subwoofer manufacturer's recommended box specifications, you should be safe with either choice.
post #17130 of 17327 Old 02-21-2015, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

The 18" master/slave can not be eq'd individually due to there only being a 1 channel amp powering the system. That is the only down fall I see, which could potentially limit placement options to maximize the subs performance. Then again you might get away with placing both subs equidistant from the LP and end up with no response issues.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread