Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 574 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25907Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17191 of 33742 Old 02-23-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,379
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Yep, I own the XS30. Excellent sub for movie LFE (even in a room of 3,400 cu. ft.) and good for music. That is a great price!
Well my room is around 2,700cf and only has one door to the next room, so it can be considered closed off or nearly closed off to the rest of the house. Should be interesting to see what this sub can do.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17192 of 33742 Old 02-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Gov
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
Posts: 3,460
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
PSA had a XS30 pop up in their outlet earlier. Chatted with Tom and it's one they've had in their warehouse for a while, never sold. No grilles included, but price was $699.99, shipped. I snagged it, figuring it wouldn't last very long. Anybody have personal experience with this sub?
That's how I got my XV15 for the basement HT set up. Snagged it after chatting with Tom after he told me they had one original XV15 left after doing an inventory. A deal I could not refuse so to speak

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Gov is online now  
post #17193 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 4,961
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1728 Post(s)
Liked: 2539
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
PSA had a XS30 pop up in their outlet earlier. Chatted with Tom and it's one they've had in their warehouse for a while, never sold. No grilles included, but price was $699.99, shipped. I snagged it, figuring it wouldn't last very long. Anybody have personal experience with this sub?
My opinion on this sub, which I have had in my room. Pretty good on movies, two would be very good. Amazing output on music.
bear123 is offline  
 
post #17194 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 04:33 AM
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,184
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
i have two...and theyare amazing...wish I had known I would have bought it...you got a STEAL
Brian Fineberg is offline  
post #17195 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 11,396
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
i have two...and theyare amazing...wish I had known I would have bought it...you got a STEAL
Are u still building a diy uxl-18 setup?
basshead81 is offline  
post #17196 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 4,936
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 4964
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
PSA had a XS30 pop up in their outlet earlier. Chatted with Tom and it's one they've had in their warehouse for a while, never sold. No grilles included, but price was $699.99, shipped. I snagged it, figuring it wouldn't last very long. Anybody have personal experience with this sub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
That's how I got my XV15 for the basement HT set up. Snagged it after chatting with Tom after he told me they had one original XV15 left after doing an inventory. A deal I could not refuse so to speak
Excellent work on finding the great deals guys.

Congrats on your new sub Mix Master. Very nice.
ahblaza likes this.
Hopinater is online now  
post #17197 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mike Butny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orland Park, Il
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Are u still building a diy uxl-18 setup?
I bet 2 18's in the front and 2 XS30's in the back of the room would sound awesome, I wonder how they would play together?

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & S3000I subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
Mike Butny is offline  
post #17198 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,096
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
I bet 2 18's in the front and 2 XS30's in the back of the room would sound awesome, I wonder how they would play together?
You could levitate your bowl of popcorn and remote right in front of you from sound pressure alone.
Mike Butny likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is offline  
post #17199 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 9,636
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Took the day off yesterday for my birthday and was playing some clips from the AVS Bass Demo disc. System is sounding awesome BTW....but I decided to measure my peaks during some clips...The Flight of the Phoenix "plane crash" scene is one of the more intense...and I was hit a peak of 112db at -10MV with the subs running 7db hot.

Then I decided to go outside.

From the sidewalk in front of my house (~15' away) I was getting peaks around 88db and could hear the bass pretty good. Walked over and stood next to the outside wall of my neighbors house (~25 away) and was getting peaks around 82db...the bass was more than noticeable.

My first thought was, "Maybe I've went too far?".

The point of the story is that I then went in and started lowering my sub trims. I'm now at only 3db hot and I think it actually sounds better overall. I don't feel like I lost much in the bass department and it sounds "cleaner". Just wanted to point this out for any of you guys like me that have your subs running really hot...try it a little lower, you may like it.

Whether or not this is going to cause less annoyance for my neighbors, I'm not sure...but it certainly can't hurt.
ahblaza and bwilberg266 like this.
Alan P is offline  
post #17200 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cesar123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 548
XS30 for 699? Somebody should call the cops on you, because that was a steal.

Congrats! I have the SE version and couldn't be happier.

EDIT: I could be happier with another one. Or three.
bwilberg266 likes this.

Yippee-ki-yay...
cesar123 is offline  
post #17201 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cesar123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Took the day off yesterday for my birthday...



...The point of the story is that I then went in and started lowering my sub trims. I'm now at only 3db hot and I think it actually sounds better overall. I don't feel like I lost much in the bass department and it sounds "cleaner". Just wanted to point this out for any of you guys like me that have your subs running really hot...try it a little lower, you may like it.
Happy birthday, Alan!

I'll try lowering the sub trim and see if I think it's cleaner or what. Always nice to have an excuse to mess with it.

Yippee-ki-yay...
cesar123 is offline  
post #17202 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 AM
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,184
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Are u still building a diy uxl-18 setup?
no its been put on hold...for the time being...1) had a little house damage from all the snow (nothing huge...but couldnt spend the money on the build) 2) now I am starting my HT build with tax money...so no money for new gear until the HT is done
ahblaza likes this.
Brian Fineberg is offline  
post #17203 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,718
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 1731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Took the day off yesterday for my birthday and was playing some clips from the AVS Bass Demo disc. System is sounding awesome BTW....but I decided to measure my peaks during some clips...The Flight of the Phoenix "plane crash" scene is one of the more intense...and I was hit a peak of 112db at -10MV with the subs running 7db hot.

Then I decided to go outside.

From the sidewalk in front of my house (~15' away) I was getting peaks around 88db and could hear the bass pretty good. Walked over and stood next to the outside wall of my neighbors house (~25 away) and was getting peaks around 82db...the bass was more than noticeable.

My first thought was, "Maybe I've went too far?".

The point of the story is that I then went in and started lowering my sub trims. I'm now at only 3db hot and I think it actually sounds better overall. I don't feel like I lost much in the bass department and it sounds "cleaner". Just wanted to point this out for any of you guys like me that have your subs running really hot...try it a little lower, you may like it.

Whether or not this is going to cause less annoyance for my neighbors, I'm not sure...but it certainly can't hurt.
Alan, Happy Birthday my friend. Thanks for the idea to lower the subs down to 3dB hot. Mine are running about 6dB hot and sometimes I feel like someone is standing on my chest, seriously. I will try to lower the trim levels and see if I lose anything in tactile feel etc.

According to Jerry Austin, there is no need to run your subs hot at all, I've read where he asked someone why do you run your subs hotter than your mains or any other speaker for that matter. Is there any logic to running subs hot or is it more of a preference thing?
Cheers Jeff.
ahblaza is offline  
post #17204 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,933
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1649 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
The point of the story is that I then went in and started lowering my sub trims. I'm now at only 3db hot and I think it actually sounds better overall. I don't feel like I lost much in the bass department and it sounds "cleaner". Just wanted to point this out for any of you guys like me that have your subs running really hot...try it a little lower, you may like it.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! What are you getting for your BD?
I have been running my subs 2db hot with +6db low shelf at 30hz and like them a lot. I actually am not running subs hot at all after verifying with REW that Aud set them 2db lower then they should be. One other thing I did was raising my xover for my front 3 to 100hz. Planning to try 120 xovers. I guess more bass from subs contributes to why I like them better.
tvuong is online now  
post #17205 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,718
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 1731
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! What are you getting for your BD?
I have been running my subs 2db hot with +6db low shelf at 30hz and like them a lot. I actually am not running subs hot at all after verifying with REW that Aud set them 2db lower then they should be. One other thing I did was raising my xover for my front 3 to 100hz. Planning to try 120 xovers. I guess more bass from subs contributes to why I like them better.
Hey Tony, do you mind me asking what front three speakers you have, considering doing the same thing, raising my XOs as well, I tried a 100Hz and really liked it. TIA
Cheers Jeff
ahblaza is offline  
post #17206 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 9,636
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! What are you getting for your BD?
Thanks guys!

It's been raining b-day gifts for me for the past few months (T-18s, new AVR, just got some front heights) so nothing for my birthday really. Although, I've got a Chromebox (to run Kodi XBMC) and some new surrounds coming in the next couple days.
Alan P is offline  
post #17207 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 9,636
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey Tony, do you mind me asking what front three speakers you have, considering doing the same thing, raising my XOs as well, I tried a 100Hz and really liked it. TIA
Cheers Jeff
I'm running mine at 90hz with LFE+Main and it sounds outstanding. I've tried higher, but with my subs behind the MLP they get too localizable.
ahblaza likes this.
Alan P is offline  
post #17208 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,718
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 1731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I'm running mine at 90hz with LFE+Main and it sounds outstanding. I've tried higher, but with my subs behind the MLP they get too localizable.
Hey Alan, do you just select that option in the speaker setup menu LFE+Mains?
ahblaza is offline  
post #17209 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 9,636
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
^^^

Yup. You have to have your mains set to LARGE for it to do anything though.
Alan P is offline  
post #17210 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mike Butny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orland Park, Il
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Took the day off yesterday for my birthday and was playing some clips from the AVS Bass Demo disc. System is sounding awesome BTW....but I decided to measure my peaks during some clips...The Flight of the Phoenix "plane crash" scene is one of the more intense...and I was hit a peak of 112db at -10MV with the subs running 7db hot.

Then I decided to go outside.

From the sidewalk in front of my house (~15' away) I was getting peaks around 88db and could hear the bass pretty good. Walked over and stood next to the outside wall of my neighbors house (~25 away) and was getting peaks around 82db...the bass was more than noticeable.

My first thought was, "Maybe I've went too far?".

The point of the story is that I then went in and started lowering my sub trims. I'm now at only 3db hot and I think it actually sounds better overall. I don't feel like I lost much in the bass department and it sounds "cleaner". Just wanted to point this out for any of you guys like me that have your subs running really hot...try it a little lower, you may like it.

Whether or not this is going to cause less annoyance for my neighbors, I'm not sure...but it certainly can't hurt.
Happy B-Day Alan, I run my subs 4db's hot. I like clean detailed bass.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & S3000I subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 02-24-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Mike Butny is offline  
post #17211 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 10:04 AM
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,184
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
Happy bday Alan!!
Brian Fineberg is offline  
post #17212 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 1,591
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Happy Birthday Alan! How are you enjoying the Denon 4520? I was looking at that, but got a great deal on the Marantz 7008. Either way, love this hobby!
Taking a day off during the week, great idea. I do like that fact that you went outside as well, may try that.
ahblaza likes this.
lizrussspike is offline  
post #17213 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,933
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1649 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey Tony, do you mind me asking what front three speakers you have, considering doing the same thing, raising my XOs as well, I tried a 100Hz and really liked it. TIA
Cheers Jeff
I was using Klipsch KLF series with KLF10 front and KLF-C7. The KLF10's are measured flat to 25hz in my room, the C7 to 50hz. My subs are next to my front three, so there is no localization issue raising their xovers up. There are many benefits in doing so.
ahblaza likes this.
tvuong is online now  
post #17214 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,933
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1649 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I'm running mine at 90hz with LFE+Main and it sounds outstanding. I've tried higher, but with my subs behind the MLP they get too localizable.
Really, LFE + main huh? All I have been reading about that is a no no.
ahblaza likes this.
tvuong is online now  
post #17215 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,718
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 1731
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
I was using Klipsch KLF series with KLF10 front and KLF-C7. The KLF10's are measured flat to 25hz in my room, the C7 to 50hz. My subs are next to my front three, so there is no localization issue raising their xovers up. There are many benefits in doing so.
I have my subs the same way, they are inside the mains. I also thought the LFE + Mains was a bad idea especially if you don't have speakers that can dig deep. I'm surprised how capable your mains are and raising the XOs yields excellent results. I will experiment with different XO settings as I was worried about localization as well. May be Alan has something here, I couldn't see making my 210s set as large though as I think 60Hz is pushing them, I could be wrong
ahblaza is offline  
post #17216 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,718
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 1731
Hey guys, I need your honest opinion ( off topic), should I invest in a receiver with XT32 SUB EQ HT. I think Alan you mentioned it made subtle differences over XT but good differences. While I'm asking questions would someone kindly post a page from REW. My intentions are only to measure my sub's FR. What should the setup page look like to do this. I have UMIK-1 ASIO and HDMI? TIA

Don't bother with it, let me see if I can at least get it up and running with no bugs, like the ASIO driver not working etc.
ahblaza is offline  
post #17217 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,096
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Really, LFE + main huh? All I have been reading about that is a no no.
In most instances, you are right. Due to the phase differences in most speaker and subwoofer drivers, you will inevitably experience cancellation in one frequency band or another (if not multiple bands). I imagine there are speakers out there that play perfectly fine with their subwoofer cousins, however, my RTiA9s caused almost complete cancellation at a rather large frequency band. It was almost like I had the bass turned off.
ahblaza likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is offline  
post #17218 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 9,636
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Really, LFE + main huh? All I have been reading about that is a no no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I have my subs the same way, they are inside the mains. I also thought the LFE + Mains was a bad idea especially if you don't have speakers that can dig deep. I'm surprised how capable your mains are and raising the XOs yields excellent results. I will experiment with different XO settings as I was worried about localization as well. May be Alan has something here, I couldn't see making my 210s set as large though as I think 60Hz is pushing them, I could be wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
In most instances, you are right. Due to the phase differences in most speaker and subwoofer drivers, you will inevitably experience cancellation in one frequency band or another (if not multiple bands). I imagine there are speakers out there that play perfectly fine with their subwoofer cousins, however, my RTiA9s caused almost complete cancellation at a rather large frequency band. It was almost like I had the bass turned off.

You guys are right - in most situations LFE+Main (a.k.a. double-bass) is a big NO-NO. However, I have two things going for me; my mains have 15" woofers and I know how to use REW.
ahblaza and Hopinater like this.
Alan P is offline  
post #17219 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 9,636
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked: 3532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey guys, I need your honest opinion ( off topic), should I invest in a receiver with XT32 SUB EQ HT. I think Alan you mentioned it made subtle differences over XT but good differences.

After living with the 4520 & XT32 for a few weeks I'd have to say it's more than a subtle difference...whether or not it's worth it to you, only you can decide.


Quote:
While I'm asking questions would someone kindly post a page from REW. My intentions are only to measure my sub's FR. What should the setup page look like to do this. I have UMIK-1 ASIO and HDMI? TIA

If you want to measure subs only (isn't really that useful), you would use output channel 4 (LFE only, output is 10db higher than other channels).

Typically you would want to measure CC+Subs using output channel 3, with your AVRs bass management engaged.
ahblaza likes this.
Alan P is offline  
post #17220 of 33742 Old 02-24-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,933
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1649 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
You guys are right - in most situations LFE+Main (a.k.a. double-bass) is a big NO-NO. However, I have two things going for me; my mains have 15" woofers and I know how to use REW.
Not saying you are doing wrong. I have seen a couple members here prefer Lfe+main also. Can you post up some graphs with left + subs or right + subs comparing LFE+main and lfe only?
Jeff, I think you can still set a xover point with large setting if you have it in LFE+main mode.
ahblaza likes this.
tvuong is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off