Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 579 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #17341 of 17353 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Back from vacation sitting home in CA telling myself to be patient for my V1500 and S3000i to arrive for my testing and I'm thinking today about how to make the most of my time with these two before making the decision about which stays (and has a twin ordered) and which goes back. Right now, I'm building a track list of a broad selection of music; some of which is specifically for "bass-critical" listening and most represents my typical listening preferences. I've also got several Blu Ray discs lined up and ready to demo some scenes.

What has me a bit flummoxed is now I'll be getting a UMIK-1 and miniDSP with my order and I feel the urge to start measuring like crazy. Some measurements are good--but I worry that my inexperience with REW might lead me down some dark paths. Curious as to what folks think: spend time with REW on each of these trying to get it to "peak" performance or focus more on listening tests and get engrossed in dozens of measurements and tweaks later?

Marantz AV7702 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Martin Logan Theos | Ps3 | Roku 3 | Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17342 of 17353 Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Was really thinking about getting a Umk as well but afraid to start dabbling into it. I tried home theater video calibration and that was a huge pain haha
post #17343 of 17353 Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Well my room will be sealed and 11x17x8 . So I should see that response.

JB. Where in the room does he have them setup?
post #17344 of 17353 Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Well my room will be sealed and 11x17x8 . So I should see that response.

JB. Where in the room does he have them setup?

Brian: Your room is about 1500cf, my room is 2332cf and I re -watched Godzilla with my boys at -15MV and the bass was insane. I know the bass was filtered below 30hz but it sounded great, waves of energy shaking and moving the couch. Your 2 XS30'S is going to sound killer in that room, like I mentioned in your build Thread I would build that room so NOTHING rattles because those XS30'S are going to wreak some havoc in that room
oneeyeblind likes this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, Dual PSA XS30se subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #17345 of 17353 Old Today, 06:49 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 127
One of the reasons I'm gonna go with the S3000i's for my open floor plan living room is because when I finish my basement and move my theater down there it will be in a sealed 2000 cubic foot room!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50
post #17346 of 17353 Old Today, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalthien View Post
Back from vacation sitting home in CA telling myself to be patient for my V1500 and S3000i to arrive for my testing and I'm thinking today about how to make the most of my time with these two before making the decision about which stays (and has a twin ordered) and which goes back. Right now, I'm building a track list of a broad selection of music; some of which is specifically for "bass-critical" listening and most represents my typical listening preferences. I've also got several Blu Ray discs lined up and ready to demo some scenes.

What has me a bit flummoxed is now I'll be getting a UMIK-1 and miniDSP with my order and I feel the urge to start measuring like crazy. Some measurements are good--but I worry that my inexperience with REW might lead me down some dark paths. Curious as to what folks think: spend time with REW on each of these trying to get it to "peak" performance or focus more on listening tests and get engrossed in dozens of measurements and tweaks later?
I would suggest using REW to find the best position in the room for each sub, the position(s) may be identical, but you won't know until you start measuring. Then listen to your content to start figuring out how each sub sounds - don't know which AVR/remote you have - but if you can set up an A/B situation where you can toggle back and forth, that may also help.
Given your concerns with measurement techniques - you may want to save the miniDSP for implementing dual subs once you determine which single sub works best in your room. The "simplified REW" thread is also a good source of information & support, as is AustinJerry's REW guide,
post #17347 of 17353 Old Today, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
don't know which AVR/remote you have - but if you can set up an A/B situation where you can toggle back and forth, that may also help.
My pre/pro is a Marantz AV7702 which has Audyssey XT32. I don't have a specific plan to be able to do A/B testing side-by-side. I know the AV7702 has 2 subwoofer outs that Audyssey calibrates independently, I wonder if simply then turning off each sub output independently would work.

post #17348 of 17353 Old Today, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My pre/pro is a Marantz AV7702 which has Audyssey XT32. I don't have a specific plan to be able to do A/B testing side-by-side. I know the AV7702 has 2 subwoofer outs that Audyssey calibrates independently, I wonder if simply then turning off each sub output independently would work.
XT32 does have 2 sub outs, but when it measures both subs, it sums the response of both subs in your room. While you could run separate Audyssey calculations for each sub, that would probably cause more problems then it would solve. But you can hook both subs to your 7702 and simply turn one off when running your REW measurements. You may want to move the discussion to the REW thread for help in measuring & assessing your subs.
post #17349 of 17353 Old Today, 08:43 AM

Quote:
XT32 does have 2 sub outs, but when it measures both subs, it sums the response of both subs in your room.
Thanks for the clarification on that one! Glad I didn't go down that path without asking.

Quote:
While you could run separate Audyssey calculations for each sub, that would probably cause more problems then it would solve.
Aside from the hassle--why do you suppose it would cause problems?

post #17350 of 17353 Old Today, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification on that one! Glad I didn't go down that path without asking.

Aside from the hassle--why do you suppose it would cause problems?
The hassle is the problem. You would have to save each of the separate Audyssey calibrations in the web browser, and then reload the calibrations, a time consuming process that defeats the purpose of a quick toggle between A & B subwoofers. REW should give you a pretty good idea of how the subs perform in your room, and listening to your selected content will hopefully confirm the measurements.
post #17351 of 17353 Old Today, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Here is what I would do. Set up both subs right next to each other in your optimal placement position. Adjust the gain on each sub so that output is around 80 dB for Audyssey. Run one pre-out and split it to both subs. Turn one sub off. Run Audyssey. It should set sub trim around -5 or -6. Adjust this up 3-6 dB, to where it sounds good to you. Demo the first sub on music, movies, etc. Turn off the first sub, turn on the other and demo. This should give you a similar enough approximation.

For a more accurate analysis, you could use the miniDSP to eq each sub to near identical responses and A/B test that way, since you can have a separate eq for each sub in the miniDSP, and just toggle the subs on and off to compare them.

For Sale: PSA XV15se x 2 $675 each!!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...-725-each.html

Last edited by bear123; Today at 09:46 AM.
post #17352 of 17353 Old Today, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Here is what I would do. Set up both subs right next to each other in your optimal placement position. Adjust the gain on each sub so that output is around 80 dB for Audyssey. Run one pre-out and split it to both subs. Turn one sub off. Run Audyssey. It should set sub trim around -5 or -6. Adjust this up 3-6 dB, to where it sounds good to you. Demo the first sub on music, movies, etc. Turn off the first sub, turn on the other and demo. This should give you a similar enough approximation.

For a more accurate analysis, you could use the miniDSP to eq each sub to near identical responses and A/B test that way, since you can have a separate eq for each sub in the miniDSP, and just toggle the subs on and off to compare them.
Good advice - I hadn't thought about the splitter option - will be interesting to see how OP ends up evaluating subs, and which one he prefers.
post #17353 of 17353 Old Today, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Thanks for the great advice! I may go down the miniDSP route; however, I don't want to spend 15 of my 30 days doing nothing but learning how to set up the miniDSP properly.

I really can't wait to hear these two. I know they're both going to be awesome. There are parts of me that want each of them to "win" in my room.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread