Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 583 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22471Likes

Old 03-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 579
bear might be harsh, but he pretty much sums it up well, lol. kinda silly when you look at it that way. the bass was impressive though...very impactful, but very few moments of deep deep stuff. it's a leave your brain at the door and watch kind of movie.
oneeyeblind likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015, 04:27 PM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 469
One thing for sure, just knowing my sub is coming this month makes me want to not watch any movies until its here!
jhughy2010 likes this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
Old 03-07-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
One thing for sure, just knowing my sub is coming this month makes me want to not watch any movies until its here!
Watch 'em all. You'll re-watch them and be wowed anyway. LOL
mnc and 0ckymofo like this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...

Old 03-07-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Watch 'em all. You'll re-watch them and be wowed anyway. LOL
That's a good point. Plus then you can truly see what your money got you. I say this now but every time I order new audio stuff I stop watching anything new until it shows up lol.
mnc and oneeyeblind like this.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Jeff, can you see the UMIK as an option when you are calibrating the recording option on your computer's sound card?
Hop, yes I can. I've been so busy trying to catch up on neglected things around my house and family. Jerry Austin gave me a complete check list to go through with the windows configuration, he thinks something is taking exclusive control of the input device and that's why the UMIK-1 is not being recognized. I can do the voice recording with no problem. I'm going to spend some quality time going over everything Jerry laid out for me and report back. I'm not giving up just trying to catch up TIA
Old 03-07-2015, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I just watched john wick. I thought it was pretty good. Spoiler Alert a ton of people get shot in the face, like an unusual amount.
basshead81 likes this.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Would a 3000i be comparable to (2) LFM-1EX subs? I'm trying to go to a single sub (WAF) but not lose any bass. Room size is 20x18 with 8-10' sloped ceiling, room is open to "galley" style kitchen.

Taking recommendations on which PSA sub to look into. Originally was looking at the XV30se but it seems to be no longer available :/

** I know the XV30 is a massive sub, and many will say how will that pass WAF. Well according to the sub crawl the best location for it, is behind the couch near a corner. About 2-3 feet from the corner along the back wall which is 20' long. Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
Would a 3000i be comparable to (2) LFM-1EX subs? I'm trying to go to a single sub (WAF) but not lose any bass. Room size is 20x18 with 8-10' sloped ceiling, room is open to "galley" style kitchen.

Taking recommendations on which PSA sub to look into. Originally was looking at the XV30se but it seems to be no longer available :/
Hey Randall nice to see you still looking at PSA to replace those Outlaws. I don't think you will be disappointed at all going with ANY of the PSA subs. I do however suspect that it might be a good idea that whatever you do decide to go with that you should really what you might loose with going to a single sub. The reason being is that you have duals now and you will likely loose some of the room smoothening that you would get with duals if you opted for a single. I personally ordered two V1500s! If you can swing it and get the wife on board you should go duals... if not a 3000i should blow away the two Outlaws.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Hey Randall nice to see you still looking at PSA to replace those Outlaws. I don't think you will be disappointed at all going with ANY of the PSA subs. I do however suspect that it might be a good idea that whatever you do decide to go with that you should really what you might loose with going to a single sub. The reason being is that you have duals now and you will likely loose some of the room smoothening that you would get with duals if you opted for a single. I personally ordered two V1500s! If you can swing it and get the wife on board you should go duals... if not a 3000i should blow away the two Outlaws.
I could do the duals, BUT the wife is REALLY just wanting 1 sub in our living room.

My Outlaws are sold, just waiting to meet up with the guy. I spoke with someone from PSA, can't remember if it was Tom or someone else. They said they *might* be revising the XV30 but it won't be till later on in the year. I couldn't last that long without bass! So looking for something available now, or in the near future.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 588
http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=2765

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & XS30SE subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 4385
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
John Wick was not worth seeing, both from a story-line standpoint and a bass standpoint. IMO. Here is a brief summary:

Spoiler!
LOL, I like your concise summary. It's interesting you say there isn't bass though, I have heard that its a great bass movie. Now I'm perplexed.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 4385
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Oblivion is still by far one of the most impressive movies for bass, audio, and picture quality!!
Absolutely!!! Oblivion is IMO the go to movie to test out any HT system for bass, surround sound and over all audio. Personally I believe it's a must have in a video library if you take this hobby seriously. It's a movie you can sit back and enjoy because it truly lets you experience what your system can deliver.

Also, let's not forget the rocket launch in Enders Game. That will make your windows flex.
basshead81 likes this.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:38 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Should I crossover my full range towers at 60Hz when I get my sub? Using the SVS Merlin, that is what it recommended.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
I could do the duals, BUT the wife is REALLY just wanting 1 sub in our living room.

My Outlaws are sold, just waiting to meet up with the guy. I spoke with someone from PSA, can't remember if it was Tom or someone else. They said they *might* be revising the XV30 but it won't be till later on in the year. I couldn't last that long without bass! So looking for something available now, or in the near future.
The output capabilities will be close. I'd expect a 2-3dB edge around the port tuning for the dual outlaws and a 3-4dB edge for the S3000 in the upper bass. The overall average should be really close 16-100hz.

Another option to consider might be one V1500? It is actually surprisingly close to the XV30Fse in terms of clean output per CEA-2010 guidelines. The V1500 is down about 2dB from 16-100hz compared to the XV30Fse.

A single V1500 would be *very* similar to dual outlaws in terms of extension and output(assuming you have the outlaw in max ext mode).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Should I crossover my full range towers at 60Hz when I get my sub? Using the SVS Merlin, that is what it recommended.
I'd start with 80hz and experiment a little up and down from there.

Tom Vodhanel
mnc likes this.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:29 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
I'd start with 80hz and experiment a little up and down from there.

Tom Vodhanel
Thanks, I guess I will try that.

Another question: Can the sub be plugged into a line conditioner or does it need to plug straight into the wall?

Old 03-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

another thumbs up for oblivion for sure...great movie and amazing soundtrack all the way around. ur making me want to watch it today! lol

+1 on enders game launch scene. it's really a surprising moment when it happens, because it goes from fairly quiet to full on bass assault. just awesome!
Old 03-08-2015, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Hunger Games the Mocking Jay is terrible for ULF. It has some decent bass scenes as Climber pointed out. The Bombing scene is pretty good, but John Wick was much more impressive for bass. I think Bear is one of the few that would rate JW that bad. It has a 4 star rating over at data-bass.com/forums.

Oblivion is still by far one of the most impressive movies for bass, audio, and picture quality!!
It was a Red-Box rental...maybe I got the DVD by accident, or if they were out of the Blu-Ray? I swear, I noticed almost nothing impressive anywhere in the movie that I recall. I don't think lack of extension is the issue as my ported subs are more tactile than the sealed subs I have had on demo scenes(probly just headroom)
Old 03-08-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I guess I will try that.

Another question: Can the sub be plugged into a line conditioner or does it need to plug straight into the wall?
Unless you live off the grid in a cabin somewhere and go through daily AC outages...just go straight into the wall..

Conditioners can actually do more hard than good as they can current limit the power supply in the audio amplifier.

If someone HAS to use a surge protector just for "peace of mind"... spend 10 bucks on this

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-MasterC...t%2C+f9h101acw

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
mnc and oneeyeblind like this.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Unless you live off the grid in a cabin somewhere and go through daily AC outages...just go straight into the wall..

Conditioners can actually do more hard than good as they can current limit the power supply in the audio amplifier.

If someone HAS to use a surge protector just for "peace of mind"... spend 10 bucks on this

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-MasterC...t%2C+f9h101acw

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
so, wait...you recommend NOT using a surge protector? what about lightning strikes and such in the spring? i would hate to have my sub ruined due to a surge like that during a stormy ohio springtime!
Old 03-08-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
so, wait...you recommend NOT using a surge protector? what about lightning strikes and such in the spring? i would hate to have my sub ruined due to a surge like that during a stormy ohio springtime!
If possible, do a whole house surge protector right at the main breaker box.

If not, a cheap surge protector like the one I linked is fine. I wouldn't spend much more than $25. Just go whole house instead.

Here is a good article

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-surge-protector/

Modern electronics already have some degree of surge protection built in.

It doesn't hurt to add more layers of protection. Just be sure you are buying *protection* and not a marketing blurb.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind likes this.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 5208
Quote:

Another option to consider might be one V1500? It is actually surprisingly close to the XV30Fse in terms of clean output per CEA-2010 guidelines. The V1500 is down about 2dB from 16-100hz compared to the XV30Fse.

A single V1500 would be *very* similar to dual outlaws in terms of extension and output(assuming you have the outlaw in max ext mode).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

not according to Timothy...know way no how...lol
oneeyeblind likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 03-08-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 5208
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
It was a Red-Box rental...maybe I got the DVD by accident, or if they were out of the Blu-Ray? I swear, I noticed almost nothing impressive anywhere in the movie that I recall. I don't think lack of extension is the issue as my ported subs are more tactile than the sealed subs I have had on demo scenes(probly just headroom)
I would definitely check out the blu ray...JW is a bass fest.

On a side note I revisited Wrath of The Titans...WOW! Non stop pounding the entire movie. Luv those types of movies.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 03-08-2015, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
I would definitely check out the blu ray...JW is a bass fest.

On a side note I revisited Wrath of The Titans...WOW! Non stop pounding the entire movie. Luv those types of movies.
Frankensteins Army! I've yet to hear a movie with such consistent non stop LFE throughout the entire movie. It won't win an Oscar, but damn its bass is plentiful. Not just a scene or two I'm talkin about assault throughout the entire movie.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
Old 03-08-2015, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
Frankensteins Army! I've yet to hear a movie with such consistent non stop LFE throughout the entire movie. It won't win an Oscar, but damn its bass is plentiful. Not just a scene or two I'm talkin about assault throughout the entire movie.
Is it over the top like a bass boosted rap song or just consistently good bass?

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
Old 03-08-2015, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Great list. I have all of them except Battlefield LA.
Love the movie Inception! Might be one of my first to watch for sure.
Lone Survivor is another great flick for bass. Those helicopters!!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
Is it over the top like a bass boosted rap song or just consistently good bass?
Consistent good bass, but it's not a movie for kids or the wife or girlfriend.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
Lone Survivor is another great flick for bass. Those helicopters!!
And those gun shots

SAMSUNG UN607150- OPPO BDP 103D- PSA 210T L/R -PHANTOM CENTER -ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS -PSA S3000i - MARANTZ SR7008 - APPLE TV -MONSTER POWER HTS2600MK -DIRECTV GENIE -HARMONY ELITE

BASEMENT SETUP- SAMSUNG UN466500- ENERGY 50'S L/R -PSA S1500- DENON-AVR-3311CI- PS3 -APPLETV- MINI GENIE
Old 03-09-2015, 08:25 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Just added it to my Netflix Queue!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
not according to Timothy...know way no how...lol
Well, he has a somewhat unique room environment too. I've talked to him on the phone a few times and he seems like a really cool guy to me. Sometimes reading a forum post can give us the wrong impression as we tend to impart our own emotions onto the text. I bet if we all were shooting pool and having a beer somewhere it would be a hoot.

Having said that---we also need to remember, no one has heard the V1500 yet except a few "local pick up" folks last month. They would immediately see the V1500 and ask...."is that on the website"? Our response was "not yet, and let's pretend like you didn't see it"..

The Xv15se wasn't that far off(3.5-4dB?)

A little more amp, a little driver tweak, but most importantly....about 35% more effective enclosure volume.

We'll have some graphs up on the website comparing the XS15se to the S1500, XV15se to the V1500, and XS30se to the S3000s asap. Things are blowing-up a bit though in terms of sales. I have never been this busy/behind at any point with svs or here. So web updates are a bit down on our list right now. Here is the current schedule.

3-10/3-11 First S1500 production run.
3-17/3-18 First V1500 production run.
3-23/3-24 First S3000(and S3000i) production run

3-30/3-31 Second V1500 production run(this is about 40% filled last I checked)
4-7/4-8 Second S1500 production run(this is about 25% filled last I checked)

And in-between all of this we have to keep up with XV15se, XS30se, T-18,miniDSP, U MIK, and all speaker orders.

Not that we're complaining of course. Just wish we had more than 24 hours in the day at this point...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
mnc, oneeyeblind, ahblaza and 5 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15