AVS Forum banner
6M views 82K replies 2K participants last post by  Tom Vodhanel 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a thread about the Tom Vodhanel and Jim Farina founded.

Power Sound Audio

This is thread is for discussion about Power Sound Audio. New products, speculation, product recommendation and support of PSA products.

Other Power Sound Audio product threads / forums

Official PSA Triax Thread

Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread

Power Sound Vendor forum (here at AVS)

Contact Power Sound Audio

Contact Power Sound Audio via email

Power Sound Audio on Facebook

Power Sound Audio on Twitter

PSA 01 Series CEA2010 Data (dosen't include S7201)

Please feel free to ask questions, and talk about all things PSA related. If you haven't already you should consider emailing PSA at the provided link, to get the best recommendation for you room.

See less See more
#11,841 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter  /t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/11850#post_24776257

How do I measure just the L/R speakers? you're talking no CC or surrounds?

You really need to do 1 sub at a time (out to 100hz at least). Then both subs combined(out to 100hz). Keep the input level the same so we can see the acoustical summation of the duals.

After that, you can do the mains + subs, or the center +subs.

Which receiver are you using?

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

#11,842 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter  /t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/11850#post_24777771

Ok guys sorry about that still a noob with this software but thanks for the tips, I think I fixed it all good as far as axis goes. I could not turn off my mains in mcacc, even though i could turn every other speaker off. I did not want to unhook them because they were all setup to one and done leave it alone once everything is in place and it would just be an absolute bear to unhook and hook back up. So I turned the mains down as far as they would go which was pretty low. For the main measurement, i set the volume as they were normally and turned the sub off like you said.

I also figured out that my main towers(Infinity Beta 50's) when set to large are flat down to 30hz which I thought was pretty impressive just for curiosity sake.

I just realized that it's in 10db increments but in REW it shows 5db increments.

Here it is in 5db:

This is a perfect example of why REW is such an important tool. Had you used this when you had the LV12, you migbt not of changed subs. The best sub in the world will sound lacking with a null like that. When you get rid of that null, that xs30 is really going to shine.

For kicks you might try a sub crawl, place the sub where it sounds best, measure with REW, and hopefully you can leave the sub in that location. Another option is to move the listening position. Your response below 60hz looks awesome, so get that null fixed and you will be dialed.

#11,843 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel  /t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/11850#post_24778291

You really need to do 1 sub at a time (out to 100hz at least). Then both subs combined(out to 100hz). Keep the input level the same so we can see the acoustical summation of the duals.

After that, you can do the mains + subs, or the center +subs.

Which receiver are you using?

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

I'm only using the XS30se. I have the Pioneer 1222k.

Unfortunately I have no room to move my sub OR MLP
The only thing I could do is maybe move the sub off the the front wall, where one of the drivers is 2" away from, another inch. Does this sound promising in helping that huge null?

#11,844 ·
Check the polarity on your mains. (actually just rotate the phase control on the sub completely and try the sub again against the LEFT and then the RIGHT speaker)

If that checks out, try measuring the left by itself and then the right.

Also, try one of your "pro logic" modes too. That may combine the L/R tones and redirect them to the center. This will allow you an easy way to do a center channel + sub graph.

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

#11,845 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/11850#post_24778026

REW download from Hometheatershack.com

Umik-1 mic from miniDSP calibrated to 10 Hz

or

Umik-1 from Cross Specturm calibrated to 5 Hz

MiniDSP from miniDSP so you can manually eq if desired after measuring

Advanced 2.1 plugin from miniDSP

Determine where you will locate the miniDSP, where you would like to be with your laptop while measuring, and buy the following cables of appropriate length:

HDMI that will reach from laptop to AVR

USB to miniUSB cable from laptop to miniDSP

USB to miniUSB from laptop to Umik-1 mic if supplied 8 ft(?) cable is not long enough.

Cell phone charger type power supply for miniDSP once it is not hooked up to your computer(miniUSB)

thanks.

#11,846 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury  /t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/11880#post_24779174

thanks.

bear123 ordered Umik-1 from Cross Specturm .... that should get me started.

thanks-

#11,848 ·
Guys, I had a thought about getting the other two XV15SEs and wanted to get your input on this thought, how about getting a single XV30FSE to put behind the MLP about 8-10' away. The back of my room (the wall) has right in the center of it a corner type wall and then an opening into another small area, I was thinking I could put a XV30F right there and being there is a small dividing wall as I mentioned and the 30 being front firing I should get plenty of output from the rear behind the MLP, what do you think or just get the other two XV15SEs. I'm open to all suggestions, I need to decide soon. TIA

Cheers Jeff

#11,851 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza  /t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/11880#post_24780252

Guys, I had a thought about getting the other two XV15SEs and wanted to get your input on this thought, how about getting a single XV30FSE to put behind the MLP about 8-10' away. The back of my room (the wall) has right in the center of it a corner type wall and then an opening into another small area, I was thinking I could put a XV30F right there and being there is a small dividing wall as I mentioned and the 30 being front firing I should get plenty of output from the rear behind the MLP, what do you think or just get the other two XV15SEs. I'm open to all suggestions, I need to decide soon. TIA

Cheers Jeff

what subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza  /t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/11880#post_24780252

Cheers Jeff

you have dual XV15's now.? whats your room size??

#11,855 ·

Reactions: flydeep
#11,856 ·
Sorry for the late reply, my weekends are usually tied up with the kids.

I definitely think the se version makes an improvement for the XS30, the question is how much of an improvement, whether it is big enough for you to spend $500. Another way to look at it is, for another $400 you actually get a new XS15se which will definitely make a difference. I can tell qualitatively it is a big improvement in the first few days. On Friday morning I packed the dual XS30 and about 5 hrs later I had set up the new se versions at the same spots as before and turned them on. I immediately noticed a difference. Adding a third sub which I previously did not have made the difference quite perceptible.

In a week or two I should have some quantitative plots to highlight the differences for similar set-up, it hope it helps you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury  /t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/11850#post_24776997

oh boy. should i update my 30's.... lol

keep us/me posted!

wife walked in the LR spend 5 min and left. she did not notice. lol

#11,857 ·
Thank you Bear. My plan is to have the third sub somewhere in the near-field. To make the new addition less of an impact to wifey, I placed it right below the TV. I will wait until the dust of the new subs settle down and then try few placement options, I do not have too many options as it is. Wifey did not notice the third addition immediately, it took her about 2 hrs before she realized there is a third one at which point I started giving some strange explanations which did not make sense to me either but she gave up half way through my reasoning

I am also little concerned about the kids and their wandering hands if the subs (and the dials) are within their easy reach. I may first need to train to my 10 month old not to touch daddy's speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/11850#post_24777049

Congrats on the upgrades and the addition of the third sub.  Do you plan on putting one on the other side of the room.....near field?  Should help with smoothing a lot.

#11,858 ·
Thanks Mike, for now I am letting them play with the day-to-day usage for the weekend. I am thinking whether it may help if I play something through the day for couple of days while I am at work, turn off my Amp so the speakers don't shout but let the subs rumble at lower volume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny  /t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/11850#post_24777169

Just wait until you get about 7 days on them, they are a BEAST!!!!!!!!

#11,859 ·
Yep, those are KEF Q900's and Q600c for the center, like them so far
It is a pity that the subs work for the Q900 are getting replaced by the XS30se's since they have a decent bass by themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681  /t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/11850#post_24777191

Congrats! Are those KEF towers?

#11,860 ·
The setup looks nice and cozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury  /t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/11880#post_24781256