Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 601 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #18001 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 2996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
is the minidsp plugged into a power source?
are you sure the input and output being used are the correct ones?
So far I have advised

1)Check cable connections(make sure everything is plugged into the correct spots)
2)Try a different cable to eliminate the possibility of a bad cable
3) un mute all outputs on the mini
4) try a different power supply for the mini
5)check all the settings in the AVR and on the sub

I'm sure I'm missing a few things too?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18002 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Unlikely, but maybe the gain in the MiniDSP for that output got turned down somehow...?
post #18003 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I got it...i'm an idiot

Pioneer Elite SC-63 | OPPO BDP-103D | PSA v1500 | SVS PB 12 NSD/v | SVS AS-EQ1 | GR Research A/V-3 | VOLT 10LX Edition (build in progress) | Onix Rocket ELT DPA | Epson 3020 | Dragonfly 120 Screen | APC H15BLK
post #18004 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Couple shots of the first S3000i build,

Tracking numbers will begin showing up in a couple hours.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1700.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	624593   Click image for larger version

Name:	S3000i_7.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	624601  
mnc, flweller, bwilberg266 and 3 others like this.
post #18005 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Just curious if the port size is bigger on the V1500 as compared to the XV15? From the picture, is it 5"?
post #18006 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Please and Thanks
+1 Would go for that!

Marantz SR7008, Emotiva XPA5,PSA V3600I,Dual PSA XV15SE's
PS3 Phat, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-370,Toshiba HD-A2
Polk Monitor 70's,Polk CSiA6,Polk R50's,Polk F/XiA4's,Polk OWM3's,
Sharp 60 LED 640U,Optoma HD25-LV,Belkin PureAV Home Theater Console
post #18007 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 09:49 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Tom, would there be anything wrong with setting Room Size all the way to Small BEFORE running Audyssey then turning it up to Large?

I just tried this and I feel it sounds better than before!

Anyone else tried experimenting with the Room Size control?

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
post #18008 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Just curious if the port size is bigger on the V1500 as compared to the XV15? From the picture, is it 5"?
Same diameter. 4" tube, with flaring out to 6". It seems counter intuitive but a 4" ID will flow about twice the air as a 3" ID port.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #18009 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 09:51 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
It's 4" but flared so it appears larger.

Edit: whoops Tom beat me to it!

post #18010 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Tom, would there be anything wrong with setting Room Size all the way to Small BEFORE running Audyssey then turning it up to Large?

Are you able to take FR before and after Audyssey?

Also, how large is the room and are there any large openings to other areas of the home?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #18011 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I'm starting to wish I bought the Marantz... anybody help me out with these:

I re-ran MCACC several times. With one sub off (and the other sub on and connected to miniDSP but with filters bypassed) and the gain control knob at about 2:30 o'clockish it was coming in at -0.5db. On my XV15 it had been coming in at -6db at the same gain control position. Should I put the gain control at 3 o'clock or even 4 o'clock to get MCACC to put it more in the negative?

I noticed that MCACC will equalize the sub only when I select "all channel adjust" versus "symmetry"... I know that a lot of folks here are Audessey so I'm not sure what the equivalent would be. Basically the symmetry equalizes the fronts to match and the rears to match (it does not touch the sub though) and the all channel adjust individually equalizes all channels including the sub. So what should I do? Should I let MCACC adjust each channel (including the sub) or should I run MCACC in "symmetry" and then let REW coupled with the miniDSP equalize the sub?

Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center), PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U
My DIY subwoofer build
post #18012 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Morrissey View Post
I got it...i'm an idiot
Care to let us know what it was so the next "idiot" can know what to look out for?

Quote:

My guess would be that you now have "Double Large Room Mode".

Running Audyssey with it set to "Small Room" in a large-ish room, Audyssey will add some boost to the low end. Then setting it to "Large Room Mode" you are essentially double-boosting the low end. Could cause issues with headroom at higher volume levels, but if you aren't hearing any distortion you should be fine.
post #18013 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 10:12 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Are you able to take FR before and after Audyssey?

Also, how large is the room and are there any large openings to other areas of the home?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sorry, no I don't have anything like REW. My living room is VERY open! Vaulted ceiling, maybe 14' peak. Room is 17.5'W x 15'D. Sub is 10.5' from MLP just inside of my right front speaker. Room is open to foyer, kitchen, and dining room.

Audyssey set sub to -3 with room size set to small. I changed all speakers to small, 80Hz for front speakers, 100 for center and 150 for surrounds. I left the sub level at -3 so NOT HOT. Then I changed Room Size all the way to Large.

All I know is that this sounds FAR deeper and more powerful than my previous setup in which I ran Audyssey with the room size at large and the sub level bumped UP 3dB HOT!

post #18014 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

I re-ran MCACC several times. With one sub off (and the other sub on and connected to miniDSP but with filters bypassed) and the gain control knob at about 2:30 o'clockish it was coming in at -0.5db. On my XV15 it had been coming in at -6db at the same gain control position. Should I put the gain control at 3 o'clock or even 4 o'clock to get MCACC to put it more in the negative?
Yes, turn up the gain on the sub until you can get MCACC to set the sub trim around -6 to -8db.

The MiniDSP will cut your output voltage a bit and this causes you to use a higher sub gain setting. Nothing to worry about, just the nature of the beast.

Why are you running MCACC with only one sub running??

Quote:
I noticed that MCACC will equalize the sub only when I select "all channel adjust" versus "symmetry"... I know that a lot of folks here are Audessey so I'm not sure what the equivalent would be. Basically the symmetry equalizes the fronts to match and the rears to match (it does not touch the sub though) and the all channel adjust individually equalizes all channels including the sub. So what should I do? Should I let MCACC adjust each channel (including the sub) or should I run MCACC in "symmetry" and then let REW coupled with the miniDSP equalize the sub?
I would use the one that EQs the sub and all channels individually....that's how Audyssey does it. Then add the MiniDSP post-calibration.

There are benefits to EQing pre-cal and post-cal. You have to decide for yourself which way you want to go.

The Symmetry setting doesn't sound like it's trying to EQ all channels to have the best timbre match (fronts separate from rears). I want all the speakers to have the same sound...not the front sound the same and the rears sound different.
post #18015 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 10:17 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

My guess would be that you now have "Double Large Room Mode".

Running Audyssey with it set to "Small Room" in a large-ish room, Audyssey will add some boost to the low end. Then setting it to "Large Room Mode" you are essentially double-boosting the low end. Could cause issues with headroom at higher volume levels, but if you aren't hearing any distortion you should be fine.
So far nothing but positive results!
My concern was if it might be considered a no no sort of like variable tuning subs that warn against all ports open AND max extension mode. I may have that wrong but you know what I mean.

post #18016 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, no I don't have anything like REW. My living room is VERY open! Vaulted ceiling, maybe 14' peak. Room is 17.5'W x 15'D. Sub is 10.5' from MLP just inside of my right front speaker. Room is open to foyer, kitchen, and dining room.

Audyssey set sub to -3 with room size set to small. I changed all speakers to small, 80Hz for front speakers, 100 for center and 150 for surrounds. I left the sub level at -3 so NOT HOT. Then I changed Room Size all the way to Large.

All I know is that this sounds FAR deeper and more powerful than my previous setup in which I ran Audyssey with the room size at large and the sub level bumped UP 3dB HOT!
Well, without FR we're just guessing but I'd say Alan has it right...you're doubling up on the deepest bass which may or may not result in a more accurate bass presentation. But if that is what sounds best to you leave it like that. As others have said "reference" is important but not as important as "preference"..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #18017 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 10:38 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Well, without FR we're just guessing but I'd say Alan has it right...you're doubling up on the deepest bass which may or may not result in a more accurate bass presentation. But if that is what sounds best to you leave it like that. As others have said "reference" is important but not as important as "preference"..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thanks Tom! Just to be safe though, I turned the Room size to the middle position. Still sounds AMAZING!

post #18018 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Yes, turn up the gain on the sub until you can get MCACC to set the sub trim around -6 to -8db.

The MiniDSP will cut your output voltage a bit and this causes you to use a higher sub gain setting. Nothing to worry about, just the nature of the beast.

Why are you running MCACC with only one sub running??

I would use the one that EQs the sub and all channels individually....that's how Audyssey does it. Then add the MiniDSP post-calibration.

There are benefits to EQing pre-cal and post-cal. You have to decide for yourself which way you want to go.

The Symmetry setting doesn't sound like it's trying to EQ all channels to have the best timbre match (fronts separate from rears). I want all the speakers to have the same sound...not the front sound the same and the rears sound different.
Thanks for your help Alan... I'm not quite sure why I decided to run MCACC with only one sub connected. Maybe I read that somewhere. I guess I thought that only having one sub calibrated would correctly set the distance for the sub. I have the subs equidistant from the MLP.

The Pioneer MCACC manual describes the following EQ Types:

Symmetry: Implements symmetric correction for each pair of left and right speakers to flatten the frequency-amplitude characteristics.

All Channel Adjust: Is a 'flat' setting where all the speakers are set individually so no special weighting is given to any one channel.

Front Align: Sets all speakers in accordance with the front speaker settings (no equalization is applied to the front left and right channels).

The manual has a note that EQ of the subwoofer is automatically set when in All Channel Adjust.

Some of the stuff is confusing to me... anyhow, with that said should I run MCACC with All Channel Adjust still?

Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center), PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U
My DIY subwoofer build
post #18019 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^

Yup, sounds like the best option to me.
post #18020 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your help Alan... I'm not quite sure why I decided to run MCACC with only one sub connected. Maybe I read that somewhere. I guess I thought that only having one sub calibrated would correctly set the distance for the sub. I have the subs equidistant from the MLP.
You want to calibrate multiple subs as a "system" so all subs should be running when you run MCACC. If you run MCACC with only one sub, the EQ will not be correct since the combined frequency response when both subs are playing is probably vastly different than just one sub.

Quote:
Symmetry: Implements symmetric correction for each pair of left and right speakers to flatten the frequency-amplitude characteristics.
Sounds like it applies the same correction to each pair of speakers (FL/FR, SL/SR, SBL/SBR)...not sure what it does to the CC or sub(s). This would only work if you have a perfectly symmetrical room and your MLP was equidistant from all speakers. FAIL!

Quote:
All Channel Adjust: Is a 'flat' setting where all the speakers are set individually so no special weighting is given to any one channel.
Yup, EQing each speaker individually is what we want. WIN!

Quote:
Front Align: Sets all speakers in accordance with the front speaker settings (no equalization is applied to the front left and right channels).
This is the same as "Audyssey Bypass L/R", a setting I've never liked (although some do).

Quote:
The manual has a note that EQ of the subwoofer is automatically set when in All Channel Adjust.
Another WIN for All Channel Adjust.

Quote:
Some of the stuff is confusing to me...
We were all there at one time...don't hesitate to ask questions, even ones you think are "stupid".
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #18021 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 11:21 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

MCACC does NOT do anything under 63Hz to your subwoofer(s). It does not matter if its "all channel adjust" or "symmetry" etc. You only need to run MCACC one time and it will correct for all (3) EQ modes, you just pick one after its done. I used to own Pioneer's in the past and if I recall correctly it defaults to "symmetry".

A couple of years ago I switched to a Denon with Audyssey XT32 and have not looked back. XT32 is far superior to MCACC in my experience.
oneeyeblind and jhughy2010 like this.

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofer
post #18022 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe this thread would be of some help:

"OFFICIAL" Pioneer MCACC thread
post #18023 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok thanks guys... so all channel adjust it is (Next AVR will be Marantz!) and I'll run MCACC with both subs running.... got it!

Can I just leave both subs connected to the miniDSP when I run MCACC considering I have bypassed all filters on it anyway? It will be (surprisingly) a huge pain in the butt to disconnect from the miniDSP and then run the sub cables back out of the one ton entertainment center and connect to the AVR (kind of a dumb problem but one none the less).

HTPC/server (Emby)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U
My DIY subwoofer build
post #18024 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, if you plan on keeping the MiniDSP in the chain (and why wouldn't you?) then you want to calibrate with it in the chain.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #18025 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Talking S3000i On It's Way!

Just received my tracking number for my S3000i and it should be here on Friday!

Only problem now is my carpet doesn't get installed until next Friday...

Looks like I will have a week of "practice runs" with the miniDSP and REW on it before I get it into it's final home environment.
oneeyeblind, ahblaza and gbreda like this.

Epson 8350 | Silver Ticket 100" 16:9 Fixed Screen | Pioneer Elite SC-37 | Energy RC-LCR x 3 FL/C/FR | Monoprice 4103 x 4 in ceiling SL/SR/HL/HR | PSA S3000i (coming soon) | Apple TV | miniDSP | Sony BDP-s360 | Synology DS213j Media Server
post #18026 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Congrats! That'll be a great workout... moving that baby-monster around
bwilberg266 likes this.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #18027 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilberg266 View Post
Just received my tracking number for my S3000i and it should be here on Friday!
Just got my tracking info as well. But no updates on the FedEx site about the delivery date. Based on the V1500 transit time, I expect it to arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

A: Marantz AV7702 | McIntosh C2300 | McIntosh MC452 | Martin Logan Theos | Martin Logan Motif X | PSA S3000i (x2)
V: Vizio P702UI-b3
S: VPI Traveler v2 | Ps3 | Roku 3 | Apple TV | Parasound Zdac
Best ID Subwoofers by Price and Vendor
post #18028 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalthien View Post
Just got my tracking info as well. But no updates on the FedEx site about the delivery date. Based on the V1500 transit time, I expect it to arrive on Monday or Tuesday.
Just go to this link and type in 44440 (Power Sound Audio's zip code) for the zip code, make sure "View Outbound Map" is selected, and hit "View Map"

Epson 8350 | Silver Ticket 100" 16:9 Fixed Screen | Pioneer Elite SC-37 | Energy RC-LCR x 3 FL/C/FR | Monoprice 4103 x 4 in ceiling SL/SR/HL/HR | PSA S3000i (coming soon) | Apple TV | miniDSP | Sony BDP-s360 | Synology DS213j Media Server
post #18029 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Let the shoot out begin !!!
post #18030 of 22221 Old 03-25-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When we generate the shipping label it auto fulfills into our merchant account and sends the info to the customer email. But until fedex shows up and the driver scans the label it doesn't enter the system. The driver gets here between 3-4pm(usually) and each label can take 5 minutes or more depending on the "system notations". So when we have 10-15-20 shipments we need to start them a couple hours before Fedex pops in..

We are trying to get a second truck here around 6pm today too, just a heads up.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
jhughy2010 likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page