Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 603 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #18061 of 18083 Old Today, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I was able to see the reverb view but it didn't have a before/after for the sub. It did have one for the rest of the speakers though.
I guess I'd use the mode that says it EQ's the sub. I'm going to try that mode when I do mine. The details of mine don't list that it EQ's the sub but I think from some reading I have done it maybe does in that same mode you mentioned. Yours is also a current model so that probably adds some features.

Pioneer Elite SC-63
OPPO 103D
PSA v1500
GR Research A/V-3
AV123 Surrounds
Epson 3020,Dragonfly 120 Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18062 of 18083 Old Today, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMT9 View Post
Looks like I'll have to chat with Tom. I've got everything set per the PSA user manual and still nothing. Gain up to 12:00. Unplugged and re plugged multiple times. Crossover at 150. Switched both ends of sub cable. When I pull it out of the receiver and touch the end, it does make a loud hum from the sub. It still says "no" for subwoofer after running Audyssey. It's like its not recognizing.
I hope you get your issue resolved. However, I can tell you that plugging an unplugging equipment with the power on is a sure fire way to ensure you continue to have problems.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #18063 of 18083 Old Today, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Morrissey View Post
Going wireless would really just add one more option and that would place the sub kind if in a high trafic area. My room is about 16.5 feet wide and 33ish feet long. The back half of the room is kind of a lounge area with a couch and TV back there. I have a big 4 seat bar right in the middle of the room pointing towards the screen with media seats right in front of that. So there's a small walkway on both sides of the bar/couch. I took a panoramic photo of it once when I first got it done I should try to track that down. Here's a pic of where I ended up yesterday, about 6 inches from where I started. I'm kind of thinking about moving my speakers in a foot or so and putting it clear in the front left corner but I'm not sure how that will work out.

I ended up with 6 filters...I'll have to keep that in mind when I redo it...hopefully tomorrow.
That's a nice looking set-up. I wish I had the room for a projector (living room is just too bright).

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (MB3), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #18064 of 18083 Old Today, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
That's a nice looking set-up. I wish I had the room for a projector (living room is just too bright).
Tomorrow I'm going to try moving my main speaker there in the photo to the right about a foot or slightly more. That should allow people on the back row to still see the screen. Then I'm going to slide the sub over to the left in front of that verticle bulkhead. I'll have a little room to move it around here and there over there. I'm hoping that makes a difference. I don't have a cable that long yet but for now I'll use a coupler to make one that long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0221.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	627089  
jhughy2010 likes this.

Pioneer Elite SC-63
OPPO 103D
PSA v1500
GR Research A/V-3
AV123 Surrounds
post #18065 of 18083 Old Today, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1710 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Going wireless would really just add one more option and that would place the sub kind if in a high trafic area. My room is about 16.5 feet wide and 33ish feet long. The back half of the room is kind of a lounge area with a couch and TV back there. I have a big 4 seat bar right in the middle of the room pointing towards the screen with media seats right in front of that. So there's a small walkway on both sides of the bar/couch. I took a panoramic photo of it once when I first got it done I should try to track that down. Here's a pic of where I ended up yesterday, about 6 inches from where I started. I'm kind of thinking about moving my speakers in a foot or so and putting it clear in the front left corner but I'm not sure how that will work out.

I ended up with 6 filters...I'll have to keep that in mind when I redo it...hopefully tomorrow.
Try turning off the filters one by one in the REW EQ panel to see if they are really needed or not....sometimes REW creates filters that are really superfluous.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #18066 of 18083 Old Today, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMT9 View Post
Looks like I'll have to chat with Tom. I've got everything set per the PSA user manual and still nothing. Gain up to 12:00. Unplugged and re plugged multiple times. Crossover at 150. Switched both ends of sub cable. When I pull it out of the receiver and touch the end, it does make a loud hum from the sub. It still says "no" for subwoofer after running Audyssey. It's like its not recognizing.
1)In the receiver setup menu, please be *sure* you have ALL speakers set to small/80hz. And the subwoofer set to ON/YES

2)Try playing some bassy music or a bassy movie scene.

If the subwoofer works, then we know the problem is with the AUDY setup. If the subwoofer doesn't work can you try plugging a portable music playing directly into one of the subwoofer inputs?

Also, as mentioned, you should always power down every component before connecting or disconnecting cables or wires. You are basically showing that component a momentary short circuit otherwise. This can lead to all sorts of problems/damage.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #18067 of 18083 Old Today, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Try turning off the filters one by one in the REW EQ panel to see if they are really needed or not....sometimes REW creates filters that are really superfluous.
X2!

I think the mini dsp should be a last resort approach. The first thing a new sub owner should do is read up on REW and start measuring. Exhaust all placement and setup options first, then if the response still leaves something to be desired add the mini dsp in the chain.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #18068 of 18083 Old Today, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
X2!

I think the mini dsp should be a last resort approach. The first thing a new sub owner should do is read up on REW and start measuring. Exhaust all placement and setup options first, then if the response still leaves something to be desired add the mini dsp in the chain.
I agree with you for sure. I'm hoping to make some improvements with what really is my only other good placement option. I'll reduce it down to 2-3 filters at most if I can. I think my next placement option might be a little better...at least I'm telling myself that now.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Pioneer Elite SC-63
OPPO 103D
PSA v1500
GR Research A/V-3
AV123 Surrounds
post #18069 of 18083 Old Today, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
X2!

Nothing against Tom, but with all the issues you and I (and many others) have had with the MiniDSP and then ended up not using it, I think Tom is asking for a lot of headaches from customer issues by including the MiniDSP....just my 2 cents.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #18070 of 18083 Old Today, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Where's Jeff?? I wanna see more graphs!!

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #18071 of 18083 Old Today, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Nothing against Tom, but with all the issues you and I (and many others) have had with the MiniDSP and then ended up not using it, I think Tom is asking for a lot of headaches from customer issues by including the MiniDSP....just my 2 cents.
I gotta say though my 'issues' were user error. I just didn't see that button at the top right and never thought about it defaulting to off. The device itself and interface work pretty easy.

Let me ask a REW question. When you take your measurements do you use the 90 degree calibration file and point the mic straight up or do you use the other file and have the mic level?

Pioneer Elite SC-63
OPPO 103D
PSA v1500
GR Research A/V-3
AV123 Surrounds
post #18072 of 18083 Old Today, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

90 degree, straight up.

The issues with the MiniDSP I eluded to are with output voltage and clipping of the sub, not really set up issues.

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #18073 of 18083 Old Today, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Some one please help me to post my graphs from REW, I tried everything and don'y know what I'm doing.
Hey that's great Jeff you got your first graphs with REW. As the other guys pointed out now the work begins as you can now see what you need to fix (But your speakers look pretty darn good). Once you figure out what's causing that dip you should be great.
post #18074 of 18083 Old Today, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually I just refer them to you and basshead..

Seriously though, thanks to everyone who spends time in this thread helping out others. There is *no* way I would have the time to answer all of the questions that pop up here.

Also, we're going to evaluate the anti-modes too. It may not work quite as well as a optimized miniDSP setup but I'd guess 95% of our customers would prefer a plug-play solution that gives them most of what the miniDSP+REW5 does.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Alan P and jhughy2010 like this.
post #18075 of 18083 Old Today, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Seriously though, thanks to everyone who spends time in this thread helping out others. There is *no* way I would have the time to answer all of the questions that pop up here.

Also, we're going to evaluate the anti-modes too. It may not work quite as well as a optimized miniDSP setup but I'd guess 95% of our customers would prefer a plug-play solution that gives them most of what the miniDSP+REW5 does.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
To me those looked like they had potential for those of us who just want to push a button Actually now that I feel like I can take measurements ok it is kinda fun...even though my room sucks.

Pioneer Elite SC-63
OPPO 103D
PSA v1500
GR Research A/V-3
AV123 Surrounds
post #18076 of 18083 Old Today, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
I think the Antimode would cause you less headaches, that's for sure.

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #18077 of 18083 Old Today, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
To me those looked like they had potential for those of us who just want to push a button Actually now that I feel like I can take measurements ok it is kinda fun...even though my room sucks.
Being able to take accurate audio measurements in your system will prove invaluable over the years. And REW5 is very powerful for free software too.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #18078 of 18083 Old Today, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is the electrical of our "Room Size" control.

The top curve(virtually flat) is the control set to LARGE.

The bottom curve(with the greatest attenuation) is the control set to SMALL.

Everything in-between is everything in-between on the dial..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Room_comp.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	627393  
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #18079 of 18083 Old Today, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I had originally thought that Audyssey XT32 did all the sub EQing and correction?

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (MB3), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #18080 of 18083 Old Today, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^

Well, it does some EQing of the sub...but some folks need more, hence the MiniDSP (and other EQ solutions).
jhughy2010 likes this.

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #18081 of 18083 Old Today, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Well, it does some EQing of the sub...but some folks need more, hence the MiniDSP (and other EQ solutions).
I imagine it makes sense to take multiple measurements: go with un-EQ'd and then go with post-Audyssey. Once you've done that, you'll see the differences Audyssey was able to make. Depending on your room, you'll see whether or not that was "enough." My understanding is that the MiniDSP can help tame really nasty modes in which certain frequencies are lifted way too high. But, much like Audyssey, it can't really help a null; you'll need to explore different positions for that.

Marantz AV7702 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Martin Logan Theos | Ps3 | Roku 3 | Apple TV
post #18082 of 18083 Old Today, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A few things. I performed the following to dial in my subs:

1) connect both subs to the MiniDSP and subwoofer output on my Onkyo 705 Reciever
2) bring up calibration tones on onkyo and set sub to 0db
3) Mute one sub and calibrate using amp gain and minidsp to 75db
3) Mute other sub and calibrate to 75db
4) Run Audysey (which brought combined sub output cut to -6db at the onkyo) also it set the sub to 8ft (even though subs are placed in opposing corners across the room, one in back and one up front)
5) Run REW and see crazy dips just below and above 80hz
6) Play with delay on V1500 until REW shows "relatively flat" response with just one big bump at 100hz, export MiniDSP file to tame the bump
7) import file into MiniDSP (luckly saved my settings from before didn't know it would wipe them out if I hadn't )
8)verify with REW that graph looks smooth without the 100hz bump

Anything I missed here? should I have done things in a different order? also, slightly unrelated what kind of power draw does the V1500 have when idle? I know it has the "auto" setting but I have never really cared for how they operate (sometimes shutting off if there is not sufficient bass in the movie) anyone have thoughts on that?

Thanks Much!

G
post #18083 of 18083 Old Today, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggallaway View Post
6) Play with delay on V1500 until REW shows "relatively flat" response with just one big bump at 100hz, export MiniDSP file to tame the bump
This is one area with which I am entirely unfamiliar. I'm not sure what measurements are going to correspond to needing to change the delay and how to accurately dial that in. Would love to hear from people more knowledgable--I understand the purpose of the control; just, nothing about how to use it.

Marantz AV7702 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Martin Logan Theos | Ps3 | Roku 3 | Apple TV
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread