Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 606 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #18151 of 18174 Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Go to this forum. One of the guys gas a link in his signature called 'Getting started with REW a step by step guide'. I thought that guide was awesome.

Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs

Pioneer Elite SC-63
OPPO 103D
PSA v1500
GR Research A/V-3
AV123 Surrounds
Epson 3020,Dragonfly 120 Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18152 of 18174 Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Morrissey View Post
I did some messing around today with adding in my old sub with the new one to see if it would help my room situation. I ran a lot of sweeps experimenting with the delay and these were the best readings I got. Blueish line is single v1500 black is that with my old sub together. Not real thrilled so far but it's a little better than where I had things initially.
Doesn't look like it changes your FR much at all. You probably need to move one of the subs to a location where it will help the FR.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #18153 of 18174 Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Doesn't look like it changes your FR much at all. You probably need to move one of the subs to a location where it will help the FR.
I have moved the V1500 around quite a bit in the limited area it could be moved to. This was the best I could do. Wondering if adding more bass traps would help instead of adding a second V1500.

Pioneer Elite SC-63
OPPO 103D
PSA v1500
GR Research A/V-3
AV123 Surrounds

Last edited by Blaine Morrissey; Yesterday at 06:54 PM.
post #18154 of 18174 Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 222
^^ just want to be sure that you rerun AVR auto calibration after each sub move. There should be a difference/improvement with dual subs. Your graph does not show.
post #18155 of 18174 Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have moved the V1500 around quite a bit in the limited area it could be moved to. This was the best I could do. Wondering if adding more bass traps would help instead of adding a second V1500.
Have you tried opposite corners of the room? Or do you have them both up front?
post #18156 of 18174 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ just want to be sure that you rerun AVR auto calibration after each sub move. There should be a difference/improvement with dual subs. Your graph does not show.
I did not. I ran it after the fact I guess now that you mention it. The single v1500 measurement was taken after auto recalibration. I will try to get another measurement this week and see what it looks like i just ran out of time today.

Pioneer Elite SC-63
OPPO 103D
PSA v1500
GR Research A/V-3
AV123 Surrounds
post #18157 of 18174 Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I could but would need to get a wireless transmitter, then if you go wireless with one you should go wireless with 2 right?

I was doing the 1/4 option here. Physically that is my best option with cables.

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blog/du...-for-your-home

Pioneer Elite SC-63
OPPO 103D
PSA v1500
GR Research A/V-3
AV123 Surrounds
post #18158 of 18174 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
Screw it, right?

two s3000i coming my way! Don't tell the wife!
You already had xs30se's right? Just tell her you got spiffy new grills for them.
post #18159 of 18174 Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post
So after all these graphs I see you all posting I am tempted to order a mic from Tom tommorow.

I started reading REW forums and all but honestly it keeps blind siding me. Does anyone know of any good tutorial videos on it that I could follow?

Also I have a htpc in my rack behind my seats could I use that to connect to the mic?

I'm thinking I should get a mix because my Xs30se and xv15 are probably going to need some help on being placed
Alan and I both have links in our signatures because this question comes up so often. I suggest to anybody to not use mobile view of this forum, you can easily miss important information that is commonly shared.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #18160 of 18174 Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
I could but would need to get a wireless transmitter, then if you go wireless with one you should go wireless with 2 right?

You could probably do one wireless and not the other and it would work just fine. I do, however, think that you shouldn't really have to move around much more than you already have. As you graph suggests, you are doing pretty good with one sub. What I would do (when you have time again) is put both subs how you "want" to have them... in other words, put them in the 1/4 option. Then re-run MCACC fully. I even would go so far as going through each step in the Manual MCACC option and going through it one by one.

I put my subs in their "spots" as I don't have any other options. I connected the miniDSP and bypassed every filter there it had. I then ran MCACC in expert mode with the "all channel adjust" selected. Afterward, I grabbed the SPL meter and sat in my MLP and manually adjusted all the channels (which really was only minor adjustments) to 75db. Some channels were just a hair bit over 75 while others were slightly less. I did the gain correction. I took the loudest sub and used it at my default and raised the less loud sub a tad to match. I then bumped up the subs to be a bit hot (-5db to 0db). Afterward I went into MCACC manual and ran the full on equalizer again. Then reverb.

Needless to say they sound amazing. I watched The Avengers with my family today and I was so impressed. Now... I have a huge room with tile floors. It should be very difficult for me to be impressed... but I am. I think you should try and it get it looking "sounding" good without REW and then once it sounds good without REW then use REW to get it that much better. I don't think REW is going to make something that is really lacking all of a sudden satisfying.

A few side notes... I have the room size knobs maxed out to large. I also set my XO to 100Hz for a little more headroom (MCACC set all my speakers to +4-6db).

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (MB3), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #18161 of 18174 Unread Today, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 1183
Big nebbish question here

Can undo sub crawl and best location with no furniture in the room? I've never NOT had furniture in the room so that why I ask. Obviously a lot easier to move things around without furniture.

Also would like to run ReW to see where the flattest locations are for the duals
post #18162 of 18174 Unread Today, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I would think that heavy furniture would have some impact on bass, sort of like bass traps, but I think you would still be able to get a pretty good setup regardless. I would guess that any effect it would have would be more in the upper bass region anyway, probably above crossover.
Brian Fineberg likes this.
post #18163 of 18174 Unread Today, 04:17 AM

Thanks jhughy2010. I will try your approach. The dabate for me is really is the cost to benefit ratio of replacing the old SVS with another v1500. To clarify what i am getting at is if I go dual I want dual v1500's. I was hoping there would be a night and day difference in REW to help justify. Either way I wont keep the SVS hooked up for long. I will recalibrate MCACC and try again this week.

Pioneer Elite SC-63
OPPO 103D
PSA v1500
GR Research A/V-3
AV123 Surrounds

Last edited by Blaine Morrissey; Today at 04:55 AM.
post #18164 of 18174 Unread Today, 06:59 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Got the house to myself today so I moved my sub next to my front left speaker instead of the front right speaker. This puts the sub closer to my rooms only corner. I also ran Audyssey with the room size set all the way to large. Immediately noticed an increase in output. Without changing the gain on the sub, Audyssey set the sub level to -5 from -3 when it was in the other spot. Going to play a few scenes before watching the new Hobbit.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, PSA V1500
post #18165 of 18174 Unread Today, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Big nebbish question here

Can undo sub crawl and best location with no furniture in the room? I've never NOT had furniture in the room so that why I ask. Obviously a lot easier to move things around without furniture.

Also would like to run ReW to see where the flattest locations are for the duals
Quote:
I would think that heavy furniture would have some impact on bass, sort of like bass traps, but I think you would still be able to get a pretty good setup regardless. I would guess that any effect it would have would be more in the upper bass region anyway, probably above crossover.
Brian I agree with Bear. After reading a lot of posts from Bill F It seems the real player in sub FR are the room boundaries. Of course bass traps change things because of absorbing the waves etc.. I admit I'm guessing here but it would seem to me that your seating would act minimally as bass traps and therefore they might change things slightly but with all your walls in place you really have what you need to do the sub crawl. Just guessing though.
post #18166 of 18174 Unread Today, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
I believe Bill F. mentioned that for bass traps to have much effect on frequencies below 80hz, all the walls would need to be covered 6" thick with acoustic panel/foam.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #18167 of 18174 Unread Today, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have read more than once that due to the delay created by the wireless transmitter if you do it for one sub you will need to do it for all subs others wise your calibration software can't set things properly. I can't verify that because I have no first hand experience with it but that's what I've seen posted in other threads. Some guys here have it though, maybe they will chime in.
post #18168 of 18174 Unread Today, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I believe Bill F. mentioned that for bass traps to have much effect on frequencies below 80hz, all the walls would need to be covered 6" thick with acoustic panel/foam.
I believe you are right about that. IIRC I've seen Bill say that the long bass waves require seriously thick traps.
post #18169 of 18174 Unread Today, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
+1. After much moving of subwoofers I found the best response in my room was opposite corners…By far the best.
post #18170 of 18174 Unread Today, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I believe you are right about that. IIRC I've seen Bill say that the long bass waves require seriously thick traps.
Gotcha. I have 6 inch thick 8 foot tall traps in the front corners right next to the screen. I have a recessed screen area that those are in. I could also add a couple 4 foot versions of those traps outside of that recessed area and also do the same in the back of the room. But that's not covering the entire wall with stuff.

Pioneer Elite SC-63
OPPO 103D
PSA v1500
GR Research A/V-3
AV123 Surrounds
post #18171 of 18174 Unread Today, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
+1. After much moving of subwoofers I found the best response in my room was opposite corners…By far the best.
I'll give it some thought. I just hate to buy a couple sets of the wireless transmitters just to see if something might work.

Pioneer Elite SC-63
OPPO 103D
PSA v1500
GR Research A/V-3
AV123 Surrounds
post #18172 of 18174 Unread Today, 08:24 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Just watched the Pod Emergence scene from WOTW. I could see the driver moving like crazy but couldn't feel the deep bass. I just don't think my room is very bass friendly! Can't wait to add a second V1500. Probably need at least four in my room lol!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, PSA V1500
post #18173 of 18174 Unread Today, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Quote:
I did some messing around today with adding in my old sub with the new one to see if it would help my room situation. I ran a lot of sweeps experimenting with the delay and these were the best readings I got. Blueish line is single v1500 black is that with my old sub together. Not real thrilled so far but it's a little better than where I had things initially.
Quote:
I did not. I ran it after the fact I guess now that you mention it. The single v1500 measurement was taken after auto recalibration. I will try to get another measurement this week and see what it looks like i just ran out of time today.
FYI - you should optimize the placement of both subs (using REW) with Audyssey OFF. After you have the best response you can get, then you run Audyssey.

Quote:

Don't let a few bucks for some longer cables compromise your sub's position.

Get some longer cables and put a sub in the back (or both) and take some measurements...you'll know if the wireless transmitters will be worth it after that.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #18174 of 18174 Unread Today, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I haven't yet received my mic so have been unable to run REW. But using the ear listening test the best position for dual V1500s is 1/4 from the front corners. In the corners I have GIK soffit bass traps.-huge boxes and GIK wall panels throughout the HT which affect things.

I tried mid side wall and it just didn't have the impact I was looking for. I haven't tried opposite corners. Kinda of a pain to do that. I'll know more once I run REW.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page