Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 616 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32256Likes

post #18451 of 37561 Old 04-06-2015, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Just got word from Tom that my S1500 should ship out this week...I can't even tell you guys how excited I am! Just updated the firmware in my OUtlaw Audio pre/pro and threw up a few room treatments...ready to go!

Oh, and AnnapolisSony, I completely agree about Sonos, man. I had good luck streaming my iTunes library with the "remote' app and AppleTV, but lately the app has been a bit buggy. So I pulled the trigger on a Sonos station and it's just fantastic. Trouble free, works like a charm, sounds great! I highly recommend it.
What exactly did you get for Sonos items? My friend got one at work after he did a demo with the Denon Heos, and he said the difference was night and day, he sent the Heos back and has two of the Sonos speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18452 of 37561 Old 04-06-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 6576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
I believe it is to prevent clipping.
It's to prevent from clipping the input signal to the sub. If you ever listen at reference or above, you will notice that keeping the sub trim @ 0 or less provides more headroom. Clean signal feeding the sub is often overlooked. I like to shoot for -6 on my sub trim after and that gives me up to 6db of adjustment for different source material without going past 0 on the avr sub trim.
mnc, oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
post #18453 of 37561 Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 5886
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I think it will be ok. I'd remove the miniDSP but I'm looking forward to using it with REW in the coming months. I actually think it'll be fine once I get the "correct" SPL meter and get these subs dialed in at the MLP. I'll still be trying to keep the channel level output for the subwoofer on the AVR to about +3dB to +4dB so that "auto" functions properly. My boys are watching a movie right now and they kicked on around -25dB on volume control. I think problem is solved for now!

As far as a ton of people really "preferring" the XS30se or S3000i over the V1500 (and XV15se for that matter), I think it really isn't a valid comparison. Remember, we are talking a decent amount of a price difference. The sealed variant has two drivers... It is sealed... these aren't apples to apples IMO. Of course it will deliver on a different level. I would have liked to see people ordering the S1500 and V1500 and then ranting about that instead. If I had the money to go and buy a Ferrari and a Corvette and I was told I could only keep one I would almost positively keep the Ferrari. Even though it costs more and is very minimally a better performer. Not to mention the fact I wouldn't be able to push it to its limits that often (sound familiar?)

I would love to have two S3000i subs! I have no doubt that they would perform better than two V1500's. But for the price, I still think that two V1500's is the way to go. It is a pretty substantial price difference for a gain in output that I don't think I (or many) can justify.

Both my V1500's are near field. They produce chest slam that I have never heard before. I highly highly recommend them to anyone that has $1000 to spend on a sub. If that same person had $1500 to spend on a sub I would highly recommend them save up another $500 and get two V1500's (and not just get a single S3000i) or even two S1500's.
You make some good points. I own two XV15se subs (and I really enjoy them) but if I could have afforded two XS30s or perhaps two XV30s at the time I would most likely own them instead. But buying subs comes down to what you can afford and what can pressurize your space. And personally I think it also comes down to what you can buy TWO of because yes… duals make that much of a difference!

I made my decision based on the fact that I knew I would get one sub and then save up for 6 months and then get a second. I have a pretty large area so I knew the XV15 was the sub that met both criteria, a sub I could afford to buy two of and that could pressurize the large area I had.

It's easy to get carried away reading different posts but you have to know what you want, what your goals are, and what you can afford and then buy the best sub (or subs) that meet those criteria. IMO it's better to own two of a lesser sub than it is to own one of a better sub (in most cases).

post #18454 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 6057
Quote:
Just got word from Tom that my S1500 should ship out this week...I can't even tell you guys how excited I am! Just updated the firmware in my OUtlaw Audio pre/pro and threw up a few room treatments...ready to go!

Oh, and AnnapolisSony, I completely agree about Sonos, man. I had good luck streaming my iTunes library with the "remote' app and AppleTV, but lately the app has been a bit buggy. So I pulled the trigger on a Sonos station and it's just fantastic. Trouble free, works like a charm, sounds great! I highly recommend it.
One extra day delay on the S1500s. We were scheduled to get the cabinets today but the freight company dropped the ball. The cabinets are now due to arrive tomorrow. Sorry bout that.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #18455 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick comment on the XS15se and databass. When comparing the FR smoothness PLEASE note that the XS15se FR Y axis is in 2.5dB steps. Other products may be graphed with the Y axis in 10dB steps. That is a HUGE difference and can deceptive at a casual glance.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, please don't attempt to make an accurate product comparison based on any one graph. Spend a little time and look at things like impulse, waterfall, spectrogram, group delay, etc. Add in the FR and you'll have a very good idea of the overall sound quality you can expect from each product. If all you are worried about is max output at the risk of everything else---the XS15se (or any Power Sound Audio product) won't be the best choice.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #18456 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
As for the gain knob in the subs, I am very surprised with the s3000i.

With the xs30se that I had, my gain was at around 3 o'clock.

With one s3000i, gain was at around 11 o'clock.

Dual s3000i: gain barely over 9 o'clock. Tried with and without the Y-splitter, but decided to removed them.

Maybe MCACC has a different gain configuration? Who knows... My Yamaha receiver had a hard time turning on my xs30se without the splitter, but with the s3000i it seems fine, for all that I can hear. MV has to be at ~ -35 for the subs to come alive.
Remember, gain isn't volume. Here is a blurb from the RANE website

Setting Power Amplifiers
If your system uses active crossovers, for the moment, set all the crossover output level controls to maximum.
Much confusion surrounds power amplifier controls.
First, let's establish that power amplifier "level/volume/gain" controls are input sensitivity controls. (no matter how they are calibrated.) They are not power controls. They have absolutely nothing to do with output power. They are sensitivity controls, i.e., these controls determine exactly what input level will cause the amplifier to produce full power. Or, if you prefer, they determine just how sensitive the amplifier is. For example, they might be set such that an input level of +4 dBu causes full power, or such that an input level of +20 dBu causes full power, or whatever-input-level-your-system-may-require, causes full power.
Amplifier input sensitivity controls do not change the available output power. They only change the input level required to produce full output power.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #18457 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
One extra day delay on the S1500s. We were scheduled to get the cabinets today but the freight company dropped the ball. The cabinets are now due to arrive tomorrow. Sorry bout that.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sounds great! Thanks Tom!
post #18458 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yessir...it's a smaller room, so it won't have to work too hard...this is my first sealed sub, so I'm glad it's Tom who designed it. SUB-HUMAN HYPE!!!!
You'll be very surprised by the performance we've packed into the S1500 modest dimensions(and pricing).

And it is important to note, by "performance" we're not talking about a car audio like output war. While we DO offer upper echelon output capabilities by any standard our engineering focus is always on output quality..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.
post #18459 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Remember, gain isn't volume.
I understand that, Tom. I was actually complimenting the new amplifier. I guess it's more sensitive than the old bash one?

In any case, switching from one xs30se to the s3000i was not a night and day difference.

Switching from one xs30se to two s3000i... well, that's a different story.

You were absolutely right about the DSP and sound quality. It might be my biased opinion (or me just wanting it to be a better and worth it upgrade), but it is remarkable what these bad boys can do. Could not be happier. Well, maybe with four. S12000iiii

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #18460 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
I understand that, Tom. I was actually complimenting the new amplifier. I guess it's more sensitive than the old bash one?

In any case, switching from one xs30se to the s3000i was not a night and day difference.

Switching from one xs30se to two s3000i... well, that's a different story.

You were absolutely right about the DSP and sound quality. It might be my biased opinion (or me just wanting it to be a better and worth it upgrade), but it is remarkable what these bad boys can do. Could not be happier. Well, maybe with four. S12000iiii
Yup, one of the considerations I mentioned to Brian when we first got started with the ICE power designs(a year ago or so) was gain sensitivity. I get emails/calls/chats DAILY with concerns that our product(using the BASH topology) isn't working properly because of this.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #18461 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 5136 Post(s)
Liked: 3834
Quote:
Frustratingly this doesn't seem to work for me. I had to crank the gain knob up to 3 o'clock and the AVR level output to something like +6dB to get the sub to output 90dB. Since it seemed so high I backed the gain knob off to about 1-2 o'clock and the level output to +3.5dB which yielded ~85dB right in front of the driver. I did that for both subs (~85dB) and the MLP was way low... It was in the lower 60dB! I don't know what I would have to do to get it to 75dB at the MLP. Am I missing something?

On a side note... I think my subs are working properly other than not turning on in the "auto" position. So with that said I'm gonna take a break from it all and just enjoy. I need a break from this before I start on REW with the miniDSP.

It is just frustrating that I spend so much money on something and it doesn't just work "perfectly" out of the box... but I knew that getting into it. Actually "perfectly" is subjective... I'm mean how many people that buy a sub finick with it to the point we do here?

The problem is most likely not the amp in the sub, nor the MiniDSP....it is most likely low output voltage from your AVR. If you have a multi-meter you can test it and see. If you don't care, just leave the subs on.
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
post #18462 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Here are the munchkins enjoying some LFE. Both subs serve as wonderful end tables unless the volume is cranked up (which I'm sure a S3000i wouldn't have that problem).

Looks like someone needs a Harmony remote
post #18463 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 03:12 PM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
I think it will be ok. I'd remove the miniDSP but I'm looking forward to using it with REW in the coming months. I actually think it'll be fine once I get the "correct" SPL meter and get these subs dialed in at the MLP. I'll still be trying to keep the channel level output for the subwoofer on the AVR to about +3dB to +4dB so that "auto" functions properly. My boys are watching a movie right now and they kicked on around -25dB on volume control. I think problem is solved for now!

As far as a ton of people really "preferring" the XS30se or S3000i over the V1500 (and XV15se for that matter), I think it really isn't a valid comparison. Remember, we are talking a decent amount of a price difference. The sealed variant has two drivers... It is sealed... these aren't apples to apples IMO. Of course it will deliver on a different level. I would have liked to see people ordering the S1500 and V1500 and then ranting about that instead. If I had the money to go and buy a Ferrari and a Corvette and I was told I could only keep one I would almost positively keep the Ferrari. Even though it costs more and is very minimally a better performer. Not to mention the fact I wouldn't be able to push it to its limits that often (sound familiar?)

I would love to have two S3000i subs! I have no doubt that they would perform better than two V1500's. But for the price, I still think that two V1500's is the way to go. It is a pretty substantial price difference for a gain in output that I don't think I (or many) can justify.

Both my V1500's are near field. They produce chest slam that I have never heard before. I highly highly recommend them to anyone that has $1000 to spend on a sub. If that same person had $1500 to spend on a sub I would highly recommend them save up another $500 and get two V1500's (and not just get a single S3000i) or even two S1500's.
I only paid $50 more to go from a V1500 to a XS30se.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
post #18464 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post
So I received my xs30 and plugged it in just to make sure it is ok because I purchased it off someone else. Unhooked my xv15 and plugged the xs30se in. OMG I only played one song now I have to go over everything that is rattling again. This thing is digging deep and making things in my room shake that the xv15 never did
This does not surprise me. Using a sealed sub that is flat to below 10 Hz, I played the descending Edge of Tomorrow opening bass sweep(30, 25, 20, 15, 10 Hz tones). To me, this is a GREAT demo for testing out how you perceive different low frequencies. For me, the 25 and 20 Hz tones were BY FAR the most tactile as far as shaking the floor/room/couch. The 15 Hz tone was no where near as tactile but seemed to vibrate objects in the room more. 10Hz had by far the most driver excursion. I am up 7 dB from 20 Hz down to 10, and it is barely noticeable, if at all(the 10 Hz tone).

This is not to say that I think this is an IMPRESSIVE LFE scene. In fact I think it is rather underwhelming compared to many of the really good ones. I just think it is the best one I know of that allows you to literally determine EXACTLY what frequency does what in your room. I think there are many people who think 8 or 10 Hz produces some kind of amazing tactile LFE effect, because they watch a scene that contains content that low, and the scene is very impressive. The truth, I believe, is that the 15, 20, and 25 Hz content of the scene is what people are really noticing the most. The other stuff just provides a little bit more icing on the cake.

So I would say the higher level response you are getting at 15 Hz could be responsible for your extra rattles. I have some more rattles to fix, that's for sure.
Frank D, ahblaza and climber07 like this.

Last edited by bear123; 04-07-2015 at 04:02 PM.
post #18465 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
... I have some more rattles to fix, that's for sure.
Rattles add realism.
mnc likes this.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #18466 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Quote:
So I received my xs30 and plugged it in just to make sure it is ok because I purchased it off someone else. Unhooked my xv15 and plugged the xs30se in. OMG I only played one song now I have to go over everything that is rattling again. This thing is digging deep and making things in my room shake that the xv15 never did
This does not surprise me. Using a sealed sub that is flat to below 10 Hz, I played the descending Edge of Tomorrow opening bass sweep(30, 25, 20, 15, 10 Hz tones). To me, this is a GREAT demo for testing out how you perceive different low frequencies. For me, the 25 and 20 Hz tones were BY FAR the most tactile as far as shaking the floor/room/couch. The 15 Hz tone was no where near as tactile but seemed to vibrate objects in the room more. 10Hz had by far the most driver excursion. I am up 7 dB from 20 Hz down to 10, and it is barely noticeable, if at all(the 10 Hz tone).

This is not to say that I think this is an IMPRESSIVE LFE scene. In fact I think it is rather underwhelming compared to many of the really good ones. I just think it is the best one I know of that allows you to literally determine EXACTLY what frequency does what in your room. I think there are many people who think 8 or 10 Hz produces some kind of amazing tactile LFE effect, because they watch a scene that contains content that low, and the scene is very impressive. The truth, I believe, is that the 15, 20, and 25 Hz content of the scene is what people are really noticing the most. The other stuff just provides a little bit more icing on the cake.

So I would say the higher level response you are getting at 15 Hz could be responsible for your extra rattles. I have some more rattles to fix, that's for sure.
After receiving my Umik today and starting to setup REW I was getting a little overwhelmed. I contacted Tom and he provided me some information to start with thank God.

I have only calibrated my mic with the file provided via serial number. Next I have to calibrate my soundcard. Which I am going to try to do Wed night. I'm hoping taking measurments of these subs don't get out of my league. Oh ya and have a Spl meter coming tommorow as well.
post #18467 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
After receiving my Umik today and starting to setup REW I was getting a little overwhelmed. I contacted Tom and he provided me some information to start with thank God.

I have only calibrated my mic with the file provided via serial number. Next I have to calibrate my soundcard. Which I am going to try to do Wed night. I'm hoping taking measurments of these subs don't get out of my league. Oh ya and have a Spl meter coming tommorow as well.
Glad it got to you ok, very funny situation. One ? why are you getting an spl meter.
post #18468 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Are you connecting to your AVR via HDMI?

Pioneer Elite SC-63 | OPPO BDP-103D | PSA v1500 | SVS PB 12 NSD/v | SVS AS-EQ1 | GR Research A/V-3 | VOLT 10LX Edition (build in progress) | Onix Rocket ELT DPA | Epson 3020 | Dragonfly 120 Screen | APC H15BLK
post #18469 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You don't have to calibrate your sound card if using a USB-mic such as the Umik-1.
ahblaza likes this.

Last edited by bear123; 04-07-2015 at 06:18 PM.
post #18470 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
You only have to calibrate your sound card if your computer does not have an hdmi output, if I am not mistaken.
That's what I was thinking as well.

Pioneer Elite SC-63 | OPPO BDP-103D | PSA v1500 | SVS PB 12 NSD/v | SVS AS-EQ1 | GR Research A/V-3 | VOLT 10LX Edition (build in progress) | Onix Rocket ELT DPA | Epson 3020 | Dragonfly 120 Screen | APC H15BLK
post #18471 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
You only have to calibrate your sound card if your computer does not have an hdmi output, if I am not mistaken.
U don't have to calibrate the sound card at all...USB plug and play
post #18472 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
You only have to do it if you're using a non-USB mic. HDMI vs. RCA makes no difference for soundcard calibration, iirc.

A: Marantz AV7702 | McIntosh C2300 | McIntosh MC452 | Martin Logan Theos | Martin Logan Motif X | PSA S3000i (x2)
V: Vizio P702UI-b3
S: VPI Traveler v2 | Ps3 | Roku 3 | Apple TV | Parasound Zdac
Best ID Subwoofers by Price and Vendor (outdated; to be updated)
post #18473 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 5886
Yep, no need to calibrate the sound card any longer.
post #18474 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falzpozitive View Post
U don't have to calibrate the sound card at all...USB plug and play
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalthien View Post
You only have to do it if you're using a non-USB mic. HDMI vs. RCA makes no difference for soundcard calibration, iirc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Yep, no need to calibrate the sound card any longer.
That's right....been a while. I will edit my post so as to avoid confusion.
post #18475 of 37561 Old 04-07-2015, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
The problem is most likely not the amp in the sub, nor the MiniDSP....it is most likely low output voltage from your AVR. If you have a multi-meter you can test it and see. If you don't care, just leave the subs on.
I actually figured out that I was using the wrong SPL meter. Tom recommended a cheap one that I have on order (should be here next week). I'm hoping (assuming) that the improper SPL meter was resulting in me not seeing 75dB at MLP. After all... they sound great so I'm sure their not under-performing.
post #18476 of 37561 Old 04-08-2015, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony9134 View Post
Quote:

Glad it got to you ok, very funny situation. One ? why are you getting an spl meter.
Thought I needed one to help blend a Ported xv15 and a xs30se.
post #18477 of 37561 Old 04-08-2015, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Morrissey View Post
Quote:

Are you connecting to your AVR via HDMI?
Yes I am
post #18478 of 37561 Old 04-08-2015, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:

You don't have to calibrate your sound card if using a USB-mic such as the Umik-1.
Interesting. I am going to take a few measurments tonight hopefully. Got much more reading to do still.
post #18479 of 37561 Old 04-08-2015, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Thought I needed one to help blend a Ported xv15 and a xs30se.
You shouldnt need one if you have umik, the mic should work just fine as an spl meter
post #18480 of 37561 Old 04-08-2015, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
LZ, would love to know your feedback on VTF-15 vs. V1500. I have an order in for 2 VTFs but they are on back order. Tom has free shipping back so I am now thinking about switching to the V1500s. I have a 6000 cf open basement.

Thanks, Steve
oneeyeblind likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s7201 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page