Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 628 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #18811 of 18818 Old Today, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 480
@Hop & @Bass ,
Thank you guys so much for the kind and encouraging words, you really don't know what it meant to me to hear this. I actually have been losing sleep over all this REW measurement stuff. I haven't watched a movie or played a tune since I started measuring. My room is a mess with speakers and subs and long extension (power) cords and sub cables all over the place. I spent two hours last night optimizing my left speaker location to get it as flat as possible without any EQ... I had to prove to myself it wasn't the speaker so I used a couple of the other (5) non PSA speakers I have laying around and it's not the speaker (PSA). I ended up with some really good techniques and learning curves with using REW which prior to this waS SO INTIMIDATING.

Today I feel like I have a new lease on life just hearing from you guys, it means so much to me, seriously. I'm going to make this work and it's going to happen soon. I'm going to find the best location for my front stage in relation to my MLP and also with one sub at a time and then run my RC software which is only XT. What puzzles me is how good it did with my subs, I didn't think it worked well with that, who knows. So thanks again my friends for the words of encouragement, I was under the assumption that I had to have ruler flat FR across the entire FR. I feel so much better now because of my forum Family members.

Most Sincerely, Jeffrey Nordi
Mike Butny, majek 60 and Hopinater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18812 of 18818 Old Today, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Jeff, I have to say I'm happy to know that you are feeling a little less stressed now. I'm like bass, I haven't measured anything in months. In fact I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my 110s. I just love listening to them and I still have no idea what the graph for them looks like. I just know they sound good!
ahblaza likes this.
post #18813 of 18818 Old Today, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
@Hop & @Bass ,
What puzzles me is how good it did with my subs, I didn't think it worked well with that, who knows. So thanks again my friends for the words of encouragement, I was under the assumption that I had to have ruler flat FR across the entire FR. I feel so much better now because of my forum Family members.

Most Sincerely, Jeffrey Nordi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Jeff, I have to say I'm happy to know that you are feeling a little less stressed now. I'm like bass, I haven't measured anything in months. In fact I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my 110s. I just love listening to them and I still have no idea what the graph for them looks like. I just know they sound good!
Guys, that is exactly why I am fighting the urge to buy a mic and start REWing. As I know that I would probably get hung up on the minute details instead of enjoying what I have.
XT does good with EQ, I new that in my first cavernous, odd shaped media room just by ear, listening to stuff with and then without Audyssey. I thought, shoudl I REW but then just decided to rely on my ears and enjoy. One thing I missed is the low end and tactile feel as built-in Supercube 1 in my towers could just not go deep or strong enough to fill in 5400 cubic ft of odd shaped space.
So, I continue to fight in the new space where I finally got acoustical treatments as well, which helped a lot with clarity of sound and seamlesness of the soundstage. Just again, measured with my ears.
Built in subs are doing better in my new 1500 cubic ft HT but I want to try to see how having real subs will change the 15-25 Hz range experience. So after looking out, reading, talking, emailing for last 2-3 months ( Rhytmik/SVS/HSU/DT) I think I narrowed it down to a trial of either XS15se or S1500 (hopefully duals).
I will hook them up , fire up Anti-mode 8033 ( which I spent again about 3 months researching online ) and let that little box EQ them nicely and then, listen and feel. No graphs.
ahblaza likes this.

Change is the only constant.

My HT: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273
post #18814 of 18818 Old Today, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1907 Post(s)
Liked: 957
I understand how the REW rabbit hole can be a bit much for some, but I'm very glad I went through the ~6 months of measuring I did...if not, I never would have known what the problems in my room are and how to deal with them.

Quad XS15s....usually more than enough for most people; I just could not get them to work in my room...through the REW process I come to find out I have 2 subs with voice coils wired out of phase. I never would have found this out otherwise (well, at least without an SPL meter).

After that, I still couldn't get the subs to work in my room...at least with REW I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I had exhausted all possible options before pulling the trigger on an upgrade.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #18815 of 18818 Unread Today, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisanav View Post
So, I continue to fight in the new space where I finally got acoustical treatments as well, which helped a lot with clarity of sound and seamlesness of the soundstage.
Calling all experts...

I'm about to start my acoustic project. This is not the actual product, just for reference. The local building supply has the CertainTeed, R-11 Soundshield. Comes in 2'X8'X3 1/2" strips (16 total). Not referenced on Bob Golds site. Great price @ $87. I know to remove the backing; will this be acceptable for making panels? I'm trying to avoid the high shipping costs of other products.
post #18816 of 18818 Unread Today, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I understand how the REW rabbit hole can be a bit much for some, but I'm very glad I went through the ~6 months of measuring I did...if not, I never would have known what the problems in my room are and how to deal with them.

Quad XS15s....usually more than enough for most people; I just could not get them to work in my room...through the REW process I come to find out I have 2 subs with voice coils wired out of phase. I never would have found this out otherwise (well, at least without an SPL meter).

After that, I still couldn't get the subs to work in my room...at least with REW I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I had exhausted all possible options before pulling the trigger on an upgrade.
You're right about the positives of REW. It certainly helped me with my system by finding the right position for the subs. REW really is a great tool and as I have said before, it makes little sense to pay thousands for sub equipment and then not find the best position for them by using REW.

I will add that if you are happy with how your system sounds and you know you are a person who chases perfection but don't have the budget or time to do it then it might be best to avoid REW all together and just continue to be happy with your system because you may not be able to handle what you find out.

But if you aren't happy with how your system sounds then you really owe it to yourself to get REW and start measuring. Just know…it may be a rabbit hole.

But no matter what, if REW steals the joy of this hobby then STOP using it and start enjoying yourself.
mnc, ahblaza and gbreda like this.
post #18817 of 18818 Unread Today, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I think everyone knows that I've gone big on measuring over the past few weeks. I agree with everything that's been said here. It's really important to keep perspective: you are NOT going to get it perfect. You don't have a perfect room. Your position options are limited. Your budget is limited. You don't have treatments. I've personally found several really important insights from using REW:
  1. Sometimes, extremely minor adjustments make a huge difference! Honestly, I completely eliminated one particular deep null with about a 3" adjustment. It allowed me to make the best possible choices within my constraints.
  2. Uncovering random issues. I never would have found my gain issue without REW.
  3. Integrating multiple subwoofers. Honestly, the moment you go multiple, you need to measure. Even with Audyssey XT32, you can end up with some phase issues. REW will help you get this dialed in.

I'm not chasing perfection. REW is a tool--a tool that I've used to improve my overall system. I do believe that everyone can benefit from measuring and tweaking. I also believe that everyone can benefit from keeping perspective!

A: Marantz AV7702 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Martin Logan Theos | Martin Logan Motif X | PSA S3000i (x2)
V: Vizio P702UI-b3 | Ps3 | Roku 3 | AppleTV
post #18818 of 18818 Unread Today, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I agree with everyone. At first I was pretty dissapointed with my REW results. I gave up for a couple weeks and then got over the fact that my room won't be perfect...however I decided if I can make small improvments here and there without spending a ton of money using REW then it's a good thing. This afternoon I set up an SVS AS EQ1 I bought from someone on this forum (thanks man I love it!). For the money I think this has been one of my better investments I have made so far. I still have some issues but this is just after one round and not doing any sub moving from where I had them. Black line is post EQ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre and post EQ AS1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	684225  

Pioneer Elite SC-63 | OPPO 103D | PSA v1500 | SVS PB 12 NSD/v | SVS AS-EQ1 | GR Research A/V-3 | AV123 Surrounds | Epson 3020 | Dragonfly 120 Screen | APC H15BLK
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page