AVS Forum banner
6M views 82K replies 2K participants last post by  Tom Vodhanel 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a thread about the Tom Vodhanel and Jim Farina founded.

Power Sound Audio

This is thread is for discussion about Power Sound Audio. New products, speculation, product recommendation and support of PSA products.

Other Power Sound Audio product threads / forums

Official PSA Triax Thread

Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread

Power Sound Vendor forum (here at AVS)

Contact Power Sound Audio

Contact Power Sound Audio via email

Power Sound Audio on Facebook

Power Sound Audio on Twitter

PSA 01 Series CEA2010 Data (dosen't include S7201)

Please feel free to ask questions, and talk about all things PSA related. If you haven't already you should consider emailing PSA at the provided link, to get the best recommendation for you room.

See less See more
#1,241 ·
Bill, What smoken is talking about is a cup of water on a side table approx 15 feet away from the sub. On his older sub he could make the water ripple, but not on the new one.

#1,243 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes  /t/1372020/power-sound-audio-discussion-thread/1230#post_22859729

XsOk guys I'm confused. Remember that video I made of my HSU VTF3 MK4 with the Underworld Awakening scene with the super lycan and the cup of water. Well I played the same scene with the XS30 and the water didn't move...at all....like tiny little ripples. I don't understand. I know I have this thing dialed in because I just got done watching Total Recall and my god, at end of it with the fighting scenes in "the fall".....I literally felt like I got off a rollercoaster ride! My HSU never did that, it just felt boomy during that part. So my question is how come the XS30 ain't moving this water, I know for damn sure its more powerful from other scenes I have tried. I also have tried moving the cup of water around. I even placed it ON TOP of the sub and yet nothing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes  /t/1372020/power-sound-audio-discussion-thread/1230#post_22860028

Ok I get that part. Buy I'm most concern is about the table. Because earlier I said the HSU vibrated the table like T-Rex but the XS30 isn't. But I know the XS30 is more powerful, but I don't get why this is happening.

At the risk of sounding condescending, which is definitely not my intention, but why is the water glass that important? If you "know for damn sure its more powerful from other scenes I have tried", and it "literally felt like I got off a rollercoaster ride!" then isn't that all that really matters in the end? If you like what you feel and hear then perhaps the rest really doesn't matter. Just my 02...

#1,246 ·
Hi Jim.

I get what your saying, but what about plain old curiosity. I'm kind of curious myself what about the other sub made the water ripple that the new one does not.

Could it be the sound waves, or could it just be the other sub shook the actual floor more which transfered to the end table??? Is that what Bill was talking about, and it just went over my head???

#1,247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMa  /t/1372020/power-sound-audio-discussion-thread/1230#post_22860032

Bill, What smoken is talking about is a cup of water on a side table approx 15 feet away from the sub. On his older sub he could make the water ripple, but not on the new one.
The table will have a resonant frequency. If that coincides with a room mode that's excited by the sub where the table is located it could vibrate enough to make a water glass dance. A different sub might not excite that room mode; for that matter the same sub might not excite it if you move it a few feet. With measuring gear you could find out exactly what's going on in a flash, but without it you can only guess.

#1,248 ·
I have like OCD or something. I'm trying to justify on buying a bigger sub I think. But I just hooked up the old HSU again and I don't know what's going but I really am not seeing a big difference that I should be seeing. Its driving me crazy.

Is it normal where you turn the volume up high you start to lose the SPL of the bass? Like when I turn it up the ULF gets less and less.

#1,249 ·
I have like OCD or something. I'm trying to justify on buying a bigger sub I think. But I just hooked up the old HSU again and I don't know what's going but I really am not seeing a big difference that I should be seeing. Its driving me crazy.

Is it normal where you turn the volume up high you start to lose the SPL of the bass? Like when I turn it up the ULF gets less and less.

#1,251 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes  /t/1372020/power-sound-audio-discussion-thread/1260#post_22860323

guess you will need add another sub to help out..

can you use 2 different subs in an HT set up?

cheers

#1,252 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1372020/power-sound-audio-discussion-thread/1260#post_22860249

The table will have a resonant frequency. If that coincides with a room mode that's excited by the sub where the table is located it could vibrate enough to make a water glass dance. A different sub might not excite that room mode; for that matter the same sub might not excite it if you move it a few feet. With measuring gear you could find out exactly what's going on in a flash, but without it you can only guess.

That makes perfect sense Bill.

I really want to understand the room measuring side of the hobby but it always seems to fly over my head a tad.

Makes sense that any 1 thing different about the sub or placement could exite the room differently.

#1,253 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1372020/power-sound-audio-discussion-thread/1260#post_22860121

At the risk of sounding condescending, which is definitely not my intention, but why is the water glass that important? If you "know for damn sure its more powerful from other scenes I have tried", and it "literally felt like I got off a rollercoaster ride!" then isn't that all that really matters in the end? If you like what you feel and hear then perhaps the rest really doesn't matter. Just my 02...
+1. Sounds like he set the measuring stick as the glass moving water, says the new sub clearly has more output but didn't get same results with new sub. I guess seeing isn't always believing?

#1,255 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes  /t/1372020/power-sound-audio-discussion-thread/1260#post_22860659

I think I figured it out. In short I was assuming this thing would be loud in the ultra low bass 20-30hz range. But that's not the case. Its loud in the higher bass.

I have another theory. Perhaps your HSU sub was not inert and as a result may have been vibrating. Now if that HSU sub was directly coupled to the floor (assuming not a concrete floor), could cause the floor to resonate. The table at 15' distance, which is still coupled to the floor could vibrate.

#1,256 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh6877  /t/1372020/power-sound-audio-discussion-thread/1260#post_22860816

I have another theory. Perhaps your HSU sub was not inert and as a result may have been vibrating. Now if that HSU sub was directly coupled to the floor (assuming not a concrete floor), could cause the floor to resonate. The table at 15' distance, which is still coupled to the floor could vibrate.

Probably

I just hooked up the HSU and ran the same scene. Lol now the water didn't ripple like it did in the video. Lol I'm going mental!

#1,258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes  /t/1372020/power-sound-audio-discussion-thread/1260#post_22860862

Probably

I just hooked up the HSU and ran the same scene. Lol now the water didn't ripple like it did in the video. Lol I'm going mental!

Smoken...Did you put the HSU in the exact spot it was in the video?

#1,259 ·
Did you rerun audyssey after hooking up the Psa? If so maybe it neutered the FR