Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 633 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #18961 of 18985 Unread Yesterday, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Oh ok, guess I misunderstood. You seemed so psyched about gaining a bit of extension with them I assumed you were upgrading - was curious to see if you noticed a difference in anything other than sweeps.

Though after seeing the upgrade price I think it's the same as trading up to full on v1500's so it's really not cost effective.
No I was going to test a ICE amp before deciding if it was worth upgrading because I may or may not notice the difference in extension. I am not willing to spend 1050.00 to find out. This all was started when Tom contacted me asking if I would like to test a amp long before the ICE models were released. After seeing graphs posted and some of the difficulties a few have had with the ICE stuff, I am pretty content with what I have unless I Tom decides to send me a ICE amp to play with.
ahblaza likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18962 of 18985 Unread Yesterday, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Maybe Tom got the data he needed on the ICE amps from my extensive testing? They did do a revision on them (and I've been too damn busy to effectively test the new ones) so it may be that they felt they got the data they were after. Just speculating!
ahblaza likes this.

A: Marantz AV7702 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Martin Logan Theos | Martin Logan Motif X | PSA S3000i (x2)
V: Vizio P702UI-b3 | Ps3 | Roku 3 | AppleTV
Best ID Subwoofers by Price and Vendor
post #18963 of 18985 Unread Yesterday, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Hey all, I'm not a regular in this thread but just wanted to comment on my recent experience with PSA for those thinking of purchasing one of their subs. I already owned an XV-15 for about a year, but felt I needed more bass since my setup is in a fairly good sized room with a large opening leading to the rest of the house. So last month, after talking for hours with Tom over what should be my next move, I added a second XV-15. Tom was awesome. He went beyond the call of duty to work around my bizarre schedule and make sure my sub shipped at specific time so it would arrive at a specific day and he did so at but a moment's notice. I ordered the sub and it was at my door 2 days later. Awesome turn around time! To say customer service is top notch is a gross understatement. It's the best CS I've ever experienced, period! The sub arrived in pristine condition. After playing around with placement, trying the subs all over my room in various configurations, I think I found the optimal spot. I'm still playing around with gain dials and room correction, trying to get the output of both subs to be a little more even, but I gotta say, adding a second sub is the BEST decision I've made in regards to HT. Without a doubt, dual subs has made the biggest impact in room. The bass is so much more even throughout the space. The headroom I have now is out of this world. The bass so clean and so deep and impactful, it's added a whole new dimension to my movie watching that I never knew existed. When deep bass hits and shakes the room, it puts a smile on my face every time. The quality of these subs is ridiculous when you consider their price point. I almost feel like I'm stealing. I can't wait to add a third sub. Now I just wonder, what if I had gone with dual XV30's instead?
mnc, oneeyeblind, skip61 and 4 others like this.

post #18964 of 18985 Unread Yesterday, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So I have an XS30se and while I think it sounds great I've been wanting to take the next step and buy a second XS30se. I check my local Craigslist regularly and came across someone selling 2 SVS PB12-NSD's for $450 each. I was thinking about buying them and putting them behind the left and right seats in my home theater(I only have a three seat setup in my system). The XS30se is in the front right corner which to my ears seems to be the best place for it. I have an older Denon receiver with only one LFE output so I'd have to split it 3 ways. So my question is if going this route a bad idea? The home theater is in the basement(all concrete) and is slightly L shaped but for the most part it is about 19' X 22' with the home theater and a pool table. So should I keep saving up for another XS30se or will the SVS subs be worth a shot? Thanks as always.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #18965 of 18985 Unread Yesterday, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalthien View Post
Maybe Tom got the data he needed on the ICE amps from my extensive testing? They did do a revision on them (and I've been too damn busy to effectively test the new ones) so it may be that they felt they got the data they were after. Just speculating!
I was suppose to have had a ICE amp long before you even bought your subs. Your extensive testing had nothing to really do with what were looking for. I was going to test a ICE amp to see how well it played with the existing SE model. This data then was going to be used to determine if it was worth upgrading from a Bash amp. I was not the only one, there was a hand full of us that were reached out to that ended up getting nothing. No big deal...I am glad it kind of panned out this way. I have not had the time and I have had other interests anyway.
nalthien and ahblaza like this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html

Last edited by basshead81; Yesterday at 08:50 PM.
post #18966 of 18985 Unread Yesterday, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I was suppose to have had a ICE amp long before you even bought your subs. Your extensive testing had nothing to really do with what were looking for. I was going to test a ICE amp to see how well it played with the existing SE model. This data then was going to be used to determine if it was worth upgrading from a Bash amp. I was not the only one, there was a hand full of us that were reached out to that ended up getting nothing. No big deal...I am glad it kind of panned out this way. I have not had the time and I have had other interests anyway.
Fair enough; I was taking a shot in the dark.

A: Marantz AV7702 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Martin Logan Theos | Martin Logan Motif X | PSA S3000i (x2)
post #18967 of 18985 Unread Today, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post
I would like to here your thoughts why you kept the SVS. Is it the sb13 ultra?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
I find no fault in that conclusion. In your final analysis how did you rate both subs and what was the determining factor...cost, SQ, aesthetics or something else?

Oh and congrats on the new sub....
Thank you Billy P!

Correct the SVS SB13Ultra. Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	696362

When I bought the S1500, I knew I wanted to compare it to the ultra, but if it blew me away I would not spend the additional money on the ultra. When I placed the S1500 in my media room, the best placement option was front stage. Th S1500 just did not fit with my room's decor. That and really wanting to hear the SVS Ultra lead me to place my order. I got it like new B stock for $1280 shipped.

I kept the Ultra first and foremost because of SQ second aesthetics. It helps that the SVS is a tad bit smaller has the rounded edges and the metal rounded grill. Now this is MY personal preference and IMO its not fair to compare a 1600$ sub to a $950 sub. PSA makes a top tier product it just did not work for my situation. For my room, listening habits, the Ultra sound signature sounded better to me.

I can not stress the value PSA offers with the S1500 for $950, I do not want this to come off as a one is better then the other, my recommendation is to try both if your budget allows and always decide for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	696370  
Billy p and dsrussell like this.
post #18968 of 18985 Unread Today, 05:52 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post
So I have an XS30se and while I think it sounds great I've been wanting to take the next step and buy a second XS30se. I check my local Craigslist regularly and came across someone selling 2 SVS PB12-NSD's for $450 each. I was thinking about buying them and putting them behind the left and right seats in my home theater(I only have a three seat setup in my system). The XS30se is in the front right corner which to my ears seems to be the best place for it. I have an older Denon receiver with only one LFE output so I'd have to split it 3 ways. So my question is if going this route a bad idea? The home theater is in the basement(all concrete) and is slightly L shaped but for the most part it is about 19' X 22' with the home theater and a pool table. So should I keep saving up for another XS30se or will the SVS subs be worth a shot? Thanks as always.
I think it's very difficult to mix sealed and ported subs. It wouldn't be worth the trouble to me. I would just get a second XS30se.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, PSA XS30SE
post #18969 of 18985 Unread Today, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Depat04, in that last pic you put up what sub is that on top of the 1500? That doesn't look to be the ultra is it a sb2000?
post #18970 of 18985 Unread Today, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
I think it's very difficult to mix sealed and ported subs. It wouldn't be worth the trouble to me. I would just get a second XS30se.
Getting a second XS30se was the way I was leaning towards just needed confirmation. Thanks.
ahblaza likes this.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #18971 of 18985 Unread Today, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Getting a second XS30se was the way I was leaning towards just needed confirmation. Thanks.
Yeah unless you plan to do a lot of work integrating them with measuring equipment it is most likely that you'll end up with cancellation below 30hz, and actually do more harm than good by adding the ported subs to the xs30se. It has been done, but with lots of time and effort.
post #18972 of 18985 Unread Today, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
No I was going to test a ICE amp before deciding if it was worth upgrading because I may or may not notice the difference in extension. I am not willing to spend 1050.00 to find out. This all was started when Tom contacted me asking if I would like to test a amp long before the ICE models were released. After seeing graphs posted and some of the difficulties a few have had with the ICE stuff, I am pretty content with what I have unless I Tom decides to send me a ICE amp to play with.
I'm still hoping that once Tom and Jim get a moment they will tweak the BASH amps to try and see if they can get the newer SE versions of the XV and XS subs the extension that the non-SE version had. Tom mentioned taking a look at this a while back.
mnc likes this.
post #18973 of 18985 Unread Today, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04 View Post
Thank you Billy P!

Correct the SVS SB13Ultra. Attachment 696362

When I bought the S1500, I knew I wanted to compare it to the ultra, but if it blew me away I would not spend the additional money on the ultra. When I placed the S1500 in my media room, the best placement option was front stage. Th S1500 just did not fit with my room's decor. That and really wanting to hear the SVS Ultra lead me to place my order. I got it like new B stock for $1280 shipped.

I kept the Ultra first and foremost because of SQ second aesthetics. It helps that the SVS is a tad bit smaller has the rounded edges and the metal rounded grill. Now this is MY personal preference and IMO its not fair to compare a 1600$ sub to a $950 sub. PSA makes a top tier product it just did not work for my situation. For my room, listening habits, the Ultra sound signature sounded better to me.

I can not stress the value PSA offers with the S1500 for $950, I do not want this to come off as a one is better then the other, my recommendation is to try both if your budget allows and always decide for yourself.

For its size it really has amazing output, excellent sound quality and was built & designed to be bulletproof. Either of these subs would be on my short list for 2.1 set-up...maybe one day I'll go ahead and buy the Sierra 2 along with a nice compact sub to mate them with.

Enjoy the new sub...
ahblaza and dsrussell like this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #18974 of 18985 Unread Today, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Quote:
I have the v1500 and I have it coupled with an elemental designs a7s450. This is an 18" sealed sub with the lt1300 amp (1300 watts RMS). I installed a Dayton 18" ultimax driver in it. The two subs together are insane. No trouble at all with them playing together. I feel like I have the best of both worlds actually. Where the sealed falls short the v1500 takes over and vice versa. I did no setup other than running MCACC on my older pioneer elite and adjusting levels and finding the best location for each sub. I'm sure I could get more out of these subs by running a room correction program and all that. But I honestly don't feel the need. The bass is so powerful, so immersive, so solid and deep. I'm not arguing about possible trouble with mixing ported and sealed, I'm just saying that personally I haven't had any problems and couldn't be happier to have one of each.
post #18975 of 18985 Unread Today, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Got a case of a mysterious null here. Three measurements taken within 2-3 minutes. One shows a deep null--the other two don't. Theories?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	disappearingnull.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	697434  

post #18976 of 18985 Unread Today, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Even better; I walk away for 2-3 min, come back, hit measure again...and now I see a peak where I saw a null.

I feel like this must be a phase issue of some sort.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	huh.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	697442  

post #18977 of 18985 Unread Today, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Even better; I walk away for 2-3 min, come back, hit measure again...and now I see a peak where I saw a null.

I feel like this must be a phase issue of some sort.
Hey B do you think it's a phase issue or a mic issue, this is been happening to me as well and I don't have an ICE amp(s)
post #18978 of 18985 Unread Today, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey B do you think it's a phase issue or a mic issue, this is been happening to me as well and I don't have an ICE amp(s)
I don't think the amp type has anything to do with it. I think it has to do with inconsistent room response--possibly due to phase misalignment.

post #18979 of 18985 Unread Today, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't think the amp type has anything to do with it. I think it has to do with inconsistent room response--possibly due to phase misalignment.
Thanks for that, now I can rule out the mic, how can the phase alignment change so drastically from the same mic location. So the room being untreated will do that I suppose?
post #18980 of 18985 Unread Today, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried single sub sweeps or is it the same?
post #18981 of 18985 Unread Today, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Thanks for that, now I can rule out the mic, how can the phase alignment change so drastically from the same mic location. So the room being untreated will do that I suppose?
I honestly don't know. It could be something to do with the mic. That's why I wanted to post here asking.
ahblaza likes this.

post #18982 of 18985 Unread Today, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked: 1309
I think it's. REW issue

Sometimes when I have the program open for too long the graphs look weird. Only when i close I t out and restart it do they look normal again

Not sure why. But it happens
ahblaza likes this.
post #18983 of 18985 Unread Today, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
I think it's. REW issue

Sometimes when I have the program open for too long the graphs look weird. Only when i close I t out and restart it do they look normal again

Not sure why. But it happens
Interesting. I'll have to see if restarting that has any effect.
ahblaza likes this.

post #18984 of 18985 Unread Today, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys know there's a new version John just came out with. He says if you're not having problems with the older version then stay with it but the new version is really smooth to download and install, no Java to worry about. He said you have to uninstall the older version first before installing the the new 5.11 HERE:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-new-post.html

POST# 767
post #18985 of 18985 Unread Today, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I am thinking about purchasing a spec lab someday just because of how funky REW can be with consistent measurements. I too have seen the same thing. As Brian mentioned, closing the program and restarting usually fixes it.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread