Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 634 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22874Likes

Old 05-05-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked: 4550
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
OK, maybe not a 12" single. But very respectfully, I understand your point completely as that is why I said this was the only movie I have watched. Is Interstellar that bass heavy, maybe. At the same time, I have never had the amount of impact in this room that I felt from that movie and this sub. Previously the XS30 was in the exact same spot, it was running 5 hot while the S3000i is set only 2 hot. The sofa has never had that kind of movement, I have never felt ear pressure and have never had rattles. I would venture to say that the amp difference alone qualifies the improved performance I felt.

I guess that until I have time to watch some more movies I stand by Holy Crap !! This was a night and day difference that I will still need to test further.

Regarding costing other people money-This place does that to everyone (myself included) and we all know that PSA will give 30 days and free shipping.
Remember it doesn't take a huge difference in the deepest bass for us to perceive it to be a large difference.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages...oudness-curves

Get down into the 10-25hz range and a 3-5dB difference in headroom will subjectively feel like double the bass. Now, will double the bass make a single XS30 sound like a 12" sub? Maybe a very good 12" sub.. Overall though this type of POV doesn't surprise. As noted, the S3000i is the "real deal" I think we've had "in stock" status on them for maybe 10 days of the past 6-8 weeks. And I might be forgetting one but I don't recall a single return yet. And that is with free shipping both ways. Somewhat telling...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
thats what I had originally thought and said in chat haha

so the ULF calculator is pretty good at guestimating! Ill take 4db more output

EDIT: just got shipping confirmation now gotta move some things around
Brian: I plan on adding a 3rd XS30SE later this year but I'm going to have all 3 up front. Please keep us posted what the 3rd does to your system.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & XS30SE subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Yes, Interstellar is a bass monster. Tremendous output in that film and can play havoc on your gear if not careful. And I did love your, "holy crap!" expression . So thank you for your input. It is appreciated.

Bear: Yeah, I know. It's silly for me not to give it a try out . I was waiting to see if Mark Seaton would be at the show in Irvine before I made my final decision.
I watched Interstellar at -15 and WOW, this was the 1st movie that I thought maybe adding a 3rd XS30SE might explode the room.
mnc and gbreda like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & XS30SE subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 3021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
I watched Interstellar at -15 and WOW, this was the 1st movie that I thought maybe adding a 3rd XS30SE might explode the room.
LOL. I think you're right. Watching that with two XS30se's must have been a trip!
mnc, Mike Butny, nalthien and 1 others like this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Yes, Interstellar is a bass monster. Tremendous output in that film and can play havoc on your gear if not careful. And I did love your, "holy crap!" expression . So thank you for your input. It is appreciated.

Bear: Yeah, I know. It's silly for me not to give it a try out . I was waiting to see if Mark Seaton would be at the show in Irvine before I made my final decision.
Quote:
I will say that watching Interstaller as my first movie with the S3000i had me thinking that no way do I need duals and had similar thoughts of the room exploding with 2 of these-maybe that thought process will change as I get time to put some less bass heavy movies in. Unfortunately weekdays are not good at all for that so it may be this weekend before I get more time to play.
Mike Butny and dsrussell like this.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3514
Quote:
Brian: I plan on adding a 3rd XS30SE later this year but I'm going to have all 3 up front. Please keep us posted what the 3rd does to your system.
Will do! It will be here Thursday. I will post measurements when I get them

Also some listening impressions
Old 05-05-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 2513
Quote:
Will do! It will be here Thursday. I will post measurements when I get them

Also some listening impressions
Wait, which one did you order?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Wait, which one did you order?
I believe Brian bought a XS30SE to go with his 2 XS30.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will say that watching Interstaller as my first movie with the S3000i had me thinking that no way do I need duals and had similar thoughts of the room exploding with 2 of these-maybe that thought process will change as I get time to put some less bass heavy movies in. Unfortunately weekdays are not good at all for that so it may be this weekend before I get more time to play.
I felt the same way when I had a single XS30SE, I said to myself " this is all I need" but what we need and what we want are 2 different things. If you keep visiting this forum you will have duals sooner than you think
Billy p, gbreda, dsrussell and 1 others like this.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL. I think you're right. Watching that with two XS30se's must have been a trip!
It was very enjoyable, I felt like I was in the Rocket ship, if Tom was in the room I think I would of gave him a big hug

Old 05-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Gentlemen:

It's time to give your PSA's a workout. I am not responsible for any damage to your sub or anything in your homes that will vibrate, fall and/or break as a result of this madness.

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
Old 05-05-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 5292
Quote:
thats what I had originally thought and said in chat haha

so the ULF calculator is pretty good at guestimating! Ill take 4db more output

EDIT: just got shipping confirmation now gotta move some things around
when I added a 3rd sub I gained between 3-4db through most of the bandwidth...and it took the right placement and setup to get that. That being said you should of got the 3000I...that would of netted you another 5-6db.
ahblaza likes this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
when I added a 3rd sub I gained between 3-4db through most of the bandwidth...and it took the right placement and setup to get that. That being said you should of got the 3000I...that would of netted you another 5-6db.
Haha. I got the blem Bstock one The only way I could afford a third.

Hopefully my spot (only one place to put it) shows the proper increase in HR
Old 05-05-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1616
Quote:

Brian where are you going to put it again, two up front and ?????
Old 05-05-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 5292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

he is going to put a seat cushion and back rest on it and place it at the MLP.

PCA- Power Chair Audio.
Mike Butny and ahblaza like this.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 05-05-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:

PCA- Power Chair Audio.
Haha I was just picturing Brian with one of those little portable bleacher chairs sitting on top of his new xs30se. Good stuff.
ahblaza likes this.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
smoothijg I'm not worried about. My FR is pretty darn flat with no eq as it is.
Adding a third sub does not guarantee your FR maintains flat. It could be worse. Now, adding a fourth one will be ultimate
ahblaza likes this.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
Gentlemen:

It's time to give your PSA's a workout. I am not responsible for any damage to your sub or anything in your homes that will vibrate, fall and/or break as a result of this madness.

Subwoofer Tests on YouTube
I use this and also a bass mekanic cd that does 90-80hz all the way down to 10-0hz for my room resonances and anything else...
Old 05-06-2015, 06:01 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

They have another b-stock right now. Wish I could grab it but unfortunately I can't.
Hopefully they will have another b-stock when I'm ready. For right around $1000, it's hard to beat the XS30se!
ahblaza likes this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
Old 05-06-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
one will be exactly where one is now...back left corner behind MLP...i will put the new sub behnd the screen on other side of center speaker

Quote:

PCA- Power Chair Audio.
not a terrible idea haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Haha I was just picturing Brian with one of those little portable bleacher chairs sitting on top of his new xs30se. Good stuff.
lmao!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Adding a third sub does not guarantee your FR maintains flat. It could be worse. Now, adding a fourth one will be ultimate
this would be very saddening...

good news is the 30 day in home trial still remains so if thats the case...she will go back
Old 05-06-2015, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You might be surprised by what a second adds. There's always the potential to minimize room induced peaks and dips in the response. However, you really can't be sure if/when the single S3000i might be limiting a big bass dynamic. The limiters/compressors (in a well engineered sub) should be transparent. So the single S3000i could be approaching its limits without making it clearly audible.

Try the second, could be interesting..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Mike Butny, ahblaza and flweller like this.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm going to order that today. What else should I grab? Edge of Tomorrow and?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
ahblaza likes this.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:03 AM

Oblivion?
ahblaza and moussaka like this.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
It's far more than "interesting." It's an experience.

A: Marantz AV7702 | McIntosh C2300 | McIntosh MC452 | Martin Logan Theos | Martin Logan Motif X | PSA S3000i (x2)
V: Vizio P702UI-b3
S: VPI Traveler v2 | Ps3 | Roku 3 | Apple TV | Parasound Zdac
Best ID Subwoofers by Price and Vendor (outdated; to be updated)
Old 05-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I'm sure you have War of The worlds already?

Display : JVC X7000 Projector | SE 103" Enlightor 4k | LG 65B6 OLED |
Sources : Oppo UDP 203 Multizone UHD Player | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky Q UHD Satellite | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Marantz 8802A | Genelec 8050 LCR | Monitor Audio IDC Sides & Rears | Seaton Submersive Master/Slave |
Control : Control 4 |
Old 05-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Definitely "Edge of Tomorrow" the opening scene has incredible LFE, I don't know if anyone has ever measured how low the ultrasonics are - but I thought my listening room was about to be teleported to another dimension - my XS-30 & XS-15 made the room shake, rattle & roll!
ahblaza likes this.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
Definitely "Edge of Tomorrow" the opening scene has incredible LFE, I don't know if anyone has ever measured how low the ultrasonics are - but I thought my listening room was about to be teleported to another dimension - my XS-30 & XS-15 made the room shake, rattle & roll!
http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...-121#entry4432

Edge of Tomorrow (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level - 5 Stars (113.59dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (9Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.61dB)
Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall - 5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes: The tones at the beginning are the highest level single tones I've seen in a movie. If you have a commercial sub, or are gain matched, you'll probably be fine playing them at your normal levels. If not, and especially if you run subs hot or have ported/IB subs without a strong HPF, be careful at the beginning.

Lots of unfiltered content below 20Hz that gets masked in the graphs by those tones, but it's there. Very good sound design overall, with only a little bit of clipping. Mostly it's carefully limited, as seen in the waveforms below. This is an example of being able to get the most out of the track when designing and mixing. Very good movie.

PvA:

EdgeOfTomorrow-PvA.PNG

I have yet tpo re-run this since completing my HT...I have to get it back from the in0laws who are borrowing it!! better off..since tomorrow i am getting my 3rd sub
ahblaza likes this.

Last edited by Brian Fineberg; 05-06-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

From the EOT thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Spectral content of the bass

Old 05-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalthien View Post
It's far more than "interesting." It's an experience.
I dont know, as my better half said last night when I brought up some questions on the difference from the XS30-"let them ask me who knows nothing about this stuff, but I thought the walls were going to cave in and I swear the dog's bed was levitating at times-with the dog in it !". You gotta love the woman, she hates the way these things look but loves the final outcome . When I was looking for a new sub 3-4 years ago, I told her that I was asked by another ID vendor "Do you want Theater Experiance or IMAX?" Her response was "you said IMAX, right?" and she was not being sarcastic.

Anyway, I have the 2nd S3000i and will do as much as I can getting it integrated this weekend. I guess I really didn't need the second floor to stay up there anyway.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:15 PM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Inception! Love the movie and a great bass movie. Chapter One was all I needed to play to know I was keeping the XS30SE over the V1500.
Mike Butny likes this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15