Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 635 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #19021 of 19046 Old Today, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
After getting a single S3000i set up pretty well in the same location as my XS30 (non SE), I completely agree with you!! Music is clean, tight, plenty of impact. After watching only one movie so far all I can say is Holy Crap!!

The S3000i outperforms my old XS30 like it was a single 12". We watched Interstellar at -12 MV and the sub running 2 hot-The XS30 would shake the coffee table and floor a bit, but with the S3000i it felt like I had butt kickers in the sofa, at times feeling pressure in my ears and on the next morning I was checking the outside siding to see if anything fell of the house!! Oh and I now have some rattling to take care of that was never there before. This is all with one and not even trying the second yet. PSA has the real deal for sure with this unit !!
I haven't been here in a while and was reading up through the topic. I didn't even know PSA released another line of subs. Now I feel like I need to replace my XS30... Why did I come back here?

Panasonic 60VT60 | Denon x2000 | EMP E55Ti | E56Ci | E55Wi | PSA XS30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19022 of 19046 Old Today, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
so...

IF I were to grab a third sub...and xs30se

how would I configure it? two would need to go behind the AT screen (currently one is there( and the third behind the seating in the back left corner (currently my second is there)

which 2 upfront and which one in the back corner?

using the ULF calculator the addition of this sub will give me about 4db more output from 10hz-20hz which is outstanding..

thoughts?
ahblaza likes this.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-5 gen | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | 3 - PSA XS30 (1 SE) | OPPO 103 |

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #19023 of 19046 Old Today, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
so...

how would I configure it? two would need to go behind the AT screen (currently one is there( and the third behind the seating in the back left corner (currently my second is there)

using the ULF calculator the addition of this sub will give me about 4db more output from 10hz-20hz which is outstanding..

thoughts?

If you had room why not one up front and two placed equally apart from each other in the back but near field? That would be pretty awesome for tactical feel.
post #19024 of 19046 Old Today, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
If you had room why not one up front and two placed equally apart from each other in the back but near field? That would be pretty awesome for tactical feel.
dont have room in the back..:/

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-5 gen | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | 3 - PSA XS30 (1 SE) | OPPO 103 |

post #19025 of 19046 Old Today, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 50
If you do 2 in the front I expect you will not gain much as far as smoothing goes but you will get close to 6 db gain across the board compared to just one in the front. That, combined with the third sub in the back will net you around 3-4 dbs gain total. That is how it was with mine anyway. It worked well that way because the front was further away from the listening position so it benefited from the extra boost.

In your case, I would do the XS30s in the front on one output and the XS30SE in the back on the second output.

Quote:
so...

thoughts?
post #19026 of 19046 Old Today, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post
If you do 2 in the front I expect you will not gain much as far as smoothing goes but you will get close to 6 db gain across the board compared to just one in the front. That, combined with the third sub in the back will net you around 3-4 dbs gain total. That is how it was with mine anyway. It worked well that way because the front was further away from the listening position so it benefited from the extra boost.

In your case, I would do the XS30s in the front on one output and the XS30SE in the back on the second output.
smoothijg I'm not worried about. My FR is pretty darn flat with no eq as it is.

But your configuration is just how tom recommended it. And he thinks it will net me 6-8db of output from 10hz up
post #19027 of 19046 Old Today, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 50
In my room (it may be different for yours), the front subs both have strong output from 20hz and under. Going from one sub to two gave me 6 dbs of extra output in that region. The back sub does not have much output below 20. So I would agree that you would get around 6dbs below 20hz if yours is behaving the same way.

Quote:

But your configuration is just how tom recommended it. And he thinks it will net me 6-8db of output from 10hz up

Last edited by ahmedreda; Today at 12:25 PM.
post #19028 of 19046 Old Today, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
Quote:

My bad Brian, in chat I thought the context was adding one XS30se to one xs30. Adding one to dual XS30 you'll be in the 4dB range. 5 tops.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #19029 of 19046 Unread Today, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Quote:
After getting a single S3000i set up pretty well in the same location as my XS30 (non SE), I completely agree with you!! Music is clean, tight, plenty of impact. After watching only one movie so far all I can say is Holy Crap!!

The S3000i outperforms my old XS30 like it was a single 12". We watched Interstellar at -12 MV and the sub running 2 hot-The XS30 would shake the coffee table and floor a bit, but with the S3000i it felt like I had butt kickers in the sofa, at times feeling pressure in my ears and on the next morning I was checking the outside siding to see if anything fell of the house!! Oh and I now have some rattling to take care of that was never there before. This is all with one and not even trying the second yet. PSA has the real deal for sure with this unit !!
I hope you realize that when making such a eye-popping recommendation, you influence people and their money . I do hope your evaluation of the XS30 vs the S3000i was, in fact, an accurate account (but I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt the XS30 sounded like a single 12-inch driver — which indicates a high level of hyperbole). I played Interstellar on my XS30 at -11 (per my dB meter I was hitting high 80s to 91 dB peaks (A-weighted) and 99 to 102 dB peaks (C-weighted) in the first minute of the movie, which is quite a bit louder than I usually like it) and it shook things up very impressively (I have flooring over a concrete slab and could easily feel it in my feet and seat).

I realize that both the XS30se and S3000i are much improved in the musical arena, but the XS30 has always been impressive for movie LFE. If the S3000i is THAT much better, I may just have to do some serious thinking.
mnc, ahblaza and MIX_MASTER_ICE like this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #19030 of 19046 Unread Today, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
My bad Brian, in chat I thought the context was adding one XS30se to one xs30. Adding one to dual XS30 you'll be in the 4dB range. 5 tops.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
thats what I had originally thought and said in chat haha

so the ULF calculator is pretty good at guestimating! Ill take 4db more output

EDIT: just got shipping confirmation now gotta move some things around

Last edited by Brian Fineberg; Today at 01:21 PM.
post #19031 of 19046 Unread Today, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
I hope you realize that when making such a eye-popping recommendation, you influence people and their money . I do hope your evaluation of the XS30 vs the S3000i was, in fact, an accurate account (but I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt the XS30 sounded like a single 12-inch driver — which indicates a high level of hyperbole). I played Interstellar on my XS30 at -11 (per my dB meter I was hitting high 80s to 91 dB peaks (A-weighted) and 99 to 102 dB peaks (C-weighted) in the first minute of the movie, which is quite a bit louder than I usually like it) and it shook things up very impressively (I have flooring over a concrete slab and could easily feel it in my feet and seat).

I realize that both the XS30se and S3000i are much improved in the musical arena, but the XS30 has always been impressive for movie LFE. If the S3000i is THAT much better, I may just have to do some serious thinking.
Just order up an S3000i...if you like it(during the free trial), keep it and sell the XS30(or rock duals ) If not just send it back.
post #19032 of 19046 Unread Today, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

OK, maybe not a 12" single. But very respectfully, I understand your point completely as that is why I said this was the only movie I have watched. Is Interstellar that bass heavy, maybe. At the same time, I have never had the amount of impact in this room that I felt from that movie and this sub. Previously the XS30 was in the exact same spot, it was running 5 hot while the S3000i is set only 2 hot. The sofa has never had that kind of movement, I have never felt ear pressure and have never had rattles. I would venture to say that the amp difference alone qualifies the improved performance I felt.

I guess that until I have time to watch some more movies I stand by Holy Crap !! This was a night and day difference that I will still need to test further.

Regarding costing other people money-This place does that to everyone (myself included) and we all know that PSA will give 30 days and free shipping.

Last edited by gbreda; Today at 01:48 PM.
post #19033 of 19046 Unread Today, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, maybe not a 12" single. But very respectfully, I understand your point completely as that is why I said this was the only movie I have watched. Is Interstellar that bass heavy, maybe. At the same time, I have never had the amount of impact in this room that I felt from that movie and this sub. Previously the XS30 was in the exact same spot, it was running 5 hot while the S3000i is set only 2 hot. The sofa has never had that kind of movement, I have never felt ear pressure and have never had rattles. I would venture to say that the amp difference alone qualifies the improved performance I felt.

I guess that until I have time to watch some more movies I stand by Holy Crap !! This was a night and day difference that I will still need to test further.

Regarding costing other people money-This place does that to everyone (myself included) and we all know that PSA will give 30 days and free shipping.
Yes, Interstellar is a bass monster. Tremendous output in that film and can play havoc on your gear if not careful. And I did love your, "holy crap!" expression . So thank you for your input. It is appreciated.

Bear: Yeah, I know. It's silly for me not to give it a try out . I was waiting to see if Mark Seaton would be at the show in Irvine before I made my final decision.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
post #19034 of 19046 Unread Today, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
Quote:

Remember it doesn't take a huge difference in the deepest bass for us to perceive it to be a large difference.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages...oudness-curves

Get down into the 10-25hz range and a 3-5dB difference in headroom will subjectively feel like double the bass. Now, will double the bass make a single XS30 sound like a 12" sub? Maybe a very good 12" sub.. Overall though this type of POV doesn't surprise. As noted, the S3000i is the "real deal" I think we've had "in stock" status on them for maybe 10 days of the past 6-8 weeks. And I might be forgetting one but I don't recall a single return yet. And that is with free shipping both ways. Somewhat telling...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #19035 of 19046 Unread Today, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:

Brian: I plan on adding a 3rd XS30SE later this year but I'm going to have all 3 up front. Please keep us posted what the 3rd does to your system.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, Dual PSA XS30se subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #19036 of 19046 Unread Today, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, Interstellar is a bass monster. Tremendous output in that film and can play havoc on your gear if not careful. And I did love your, "holy crap!" expression . So thank you for your input. It is appreciated.

Bear: Yeah, I know. It's silly for me not to give it a try out . I was waiting to see if Mark Seaton would be at the show in Irvine before I made my final decision.
I watched Interstellar at -15 and WOW, this was the 1st movie that I thought maybe adding a 3rd XS30SE might explode the room.
mnc and gbreda like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, Dual PSA XS30se subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #19037 of 19046 Unread Today, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
I watched Interstellar at -15 and WOW, this was the 1st movie that I thought maybe adding a 3rd XS30SE might explode the room.
LOL. I think you're right. Watching that with two XS30se's must have been a trip!
Mike Butny and gbreda like this.

post #19038 of 19046 Unread Today, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Quote:
I will say that watching Interstaller as my first movie with the S3000i had me thinking that no way do I need duals and had similar thoughts of the room exploding with 2 of these-maybe that thought process will change as I get time to put some less bass heavy movies in. Unfortunately weekdays are not good at all for that so it may be this weekend before I get more time to play.
dsrussell likes this.
post #19039 of 19046 Unread Today, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Brian: I plan on adding a 3rd XS30SE later this year but I'm going to have all 3 up front. Please keep us posted what the 3rd does to your system.
Will do! It will be here Thursday. I will post measurements when I get them

Also some listening impressions
post #19040 of 19046 Unread Today, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Will do! It will be here Thursday. I will post measurements when I get them

Also some listening impressions
Wait, which one did you order?
post #19041 of 19046 Unread Today, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Wait, which one did you order?
I believe Brian bought a XS30SE to go with his 2 XS30.

post #19042 of 19046 Unread Today, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will say that watching Interstaller as my first movie with the S3000i had me thinking that no way do I need duals and had similar thoughts of the room exploding with 2 of these-maybe that thought process will change as I get time to put some less bass heavy movies in. Unfortunately weekdays are not good at all for that so it may be this weekend before I get more time to play.
I felt the same way when I had a single XS30SE, I said to myself " this is all I need" but what we need and what we want are 2 different things. If you keep visiting this forum you will have duals sooner than you think

post #19043 of 19046 Unread Today, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
LOL. I think you're right. Watching that with two XS30se's must have been a trip!
It was very enjoyable, I felt like I was in the Rocket ship, if Tom was in the room I think I would of gave him a big hug

post #19044 of 19046 Unread Today, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Gentlemen:

It's time to give your PSA's a workout. I am not responsible for any damage to your sub or anything in your homes that will vibrate, fall and/or break as a result of this madness.

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
post #19045 of 19046 Unread Today, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 2159
Quote:

when I added a 3rd sub I gained between 3-4db through most of the bandwidth...and it took the right placement and setup to get that. That being said you should of got the 3000I...that would of netted you another 5-6db.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #19046 of 19046 Unread Today, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
when I added a 3rd sub I gained between 3-4db through most of the bandwidth...and it took the right placement and setup to get that. That being said you should of got the 3000I...that would of netted you another 5-6db.
Haha. I got the blem Bstock one The only way I could afford a third.

Hopefully my spot (only one place to put it) shows the proper increase in HR
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page